Time Magazine Names Wii U Second Best Gadget of 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The stakes are high for this $299.99 game console: Its the follow-up to 2006s phenomenally successful Wii, which changed gaming forever with its motion-sensing Wii Remote. The Wii Us key innovation is its GamePad, a game controller with a built-in 6.2 touchscreen. It interacts with your TV in different ways in different games, and has the potential to be a big deal if game developers make good use of it. Also potentially huge: TVii, which combines streaming video from sources such as Netflix with your cable lineup and TiVo recordings. Its the first time that the famously game-centric Nintendo has poured its heart and soul into a non-gaming feature.

Time Magazine

It's a good list, if controversial because of how safe it is. Check it out here.

With this sort of mainstream media coverage (which the Wii U is getting more and more of), will the console finally catch on with the public?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts
How is the WiiU selling? Better than the Wii?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
How is the WiiU selling? Better than the Wii?freedomfreak
In Japan, it's been selling ridiculously well, but not as much as the Wii. In the US, it just fell short of the Wii and PS2 launch. In Europe and Australia, it has underperformed, and outright failed in UK altogether. Overall, I think it is safe to conclude that while the Wii U will of necessity do well (it's a Nintendo system), it will not do as well as the Wii.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]How is the WiiU selling? Better than the Wii?charizard1605
In Japan, it's been selling ridiculously well, but not as much as the Wii. In the US, it just fell short of the Wii and PS2 launch. In Europe and Australia, it has underperformed, and outright failed in UK altogether. Overall, I think it is safe to conclude that while the Wii U will of necessity do well (it's a Nintendo system), it will not do as well as the Wii.

Yeah, that sounds fair. Thanks.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I think overtime the Wii U will catch on. It just needs to get it's first set of real high scoring Nintendo WII U exclusive that distinguish it from the Wii so people will finally realize what it is. And by real, I mean a normal game that has been significantly changed thanks to the Gamepad. The only game that has done that, so far, is Zombie U. Even then, Zombie U is somewhat tech demoey and it's not a big enough product to spark any attention. It's not made by Nintendo either.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

I think overtime the Wii U will catch on. It just needs to get it's first set of real high scoring Nintendo WII U exclusive that distinguish it from the Wii so people will finally realize what it is. And by real, I mean a normal game that has been significantly changed thanks to the Gamepad. The only game that has done that, so far, is Zombie U. Even then, Zombie U is somewhat tech demoey and it's not a big enough product to spark any attention. It's not made by Nintendo either.

AmayaPapaya

it better catch on before the next xbox or playstation are announce, it has no competiton right now

the9thinning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the9thinning
Member since 2011 • 662 Posts
That's because the Wii U really is a cool device. I go on the browser on that thing a whole lot.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
Pretty bad list with a few worthy entries. About what I'd expect from a dinosaur like Time.
Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Times, yahoo. and aol, that is where real gamers go for news and reviews.

Won't even pick up the box, if it doesn't have Times goty stamped on it.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

Chris_Williams

it better catch on before the next xbox or playstation are announce, it has no competiton right now

The next PS and Xbox shouldn't be a problem. So what? Sony and Microsoft announce them and all Nintendo has to do is have a price drop and show a 3D Mario game/whatever.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Once again Nintendo makes a console all about it's controls while making it's console sub par to it's competitors. Mistake! Just because it worked the first time doesn't mean it will work again. People realised that the Wiis motion controlls were just a novelty over time. The same will be true of the WiiU's controller. I also think it's crap Nintendo releases consoles so often and expects their fans just to shell out more money and invest in the new one.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clr84651

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

AmayaPapaya

The next PS and Xbox shouldn't be a problem. So what? Sony and Microsoft announce them and all Nintendo has to do is have a price drop and show a 3D Mario game/whatever.

Keep dreaming! When PS4 and 720 come out they will pawn the WiiUs graphics and hardware so badly that Nintendo will be releasing yet another console for it's fans to buy and it still wont catch up to being as good as the PS4 or 720.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] it better catch on before the next xbox or playstation are announce, it has no competiton right now

clr84651

Keep dreaming! When PS4 and 720 come out they will pawn the WiiUs graphics and hardware so badly that Nintendo will be releasing yet another console for it's fans to buy and it still wont catch up to being as good as the PS4 or 720.

Graphics and hardware sure didn't stop the Wii. Keep dreaming.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clr84651

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

AmayaPapaya

Keep dreaming that things will stay the same for Nintendo. They sure didn't for Sony. The Wiis tactics of concentrating on their gimmicky novelty controls on their systems is wearing off. People have been losing interest over 2012 and they will continue to lose interest. Nintedo thinks the same tactics will keep working, but they wont.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AmayaPapaya

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

clr84651

Keep dreaming that things will stay the same for Nintendo. They sure didn't for Sony. The Wiis tactics of concentrating on their gimmicky novelty controls on their systems is wearing off. People have been losing interest over 2012 and they will continue to lose interest. Nintedo thinks the same tactics will keep working, but they wont.

Are you really trying to tell me people don't buy Gimmicks? People buy stuff because it sounds cool. Because of the Gimmick. It usually doesn't matter how good something is, if it doesn't have a Gimmick, it's not going to sell well. The Wii U is selling really well right now, ahead of what the 360 and PS3 had at this time of their launch. I don't know what you are talking about, saying Nintendo is doomed.

youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 youpieceopoo
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts
id say alienware x51 even though it's overpriced.
CooperThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 CooperThief
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

Plot twist: Time Magazine Name PS Vita Best Gadget of 2012:P

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
2nd best gadget no one cares or just 2nd best gadget? Cuz i don't see why would this be in 2nd place. No one cares about a wiiu and it has nothing amazing to be on 2nd place lol the screen isn't even a real touch screen. Shouldn't be in 2nd place but Nintendo probably payed
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Charizard being impartial again. An Engagdet story one day poo-pooing the Wii U, and now this positive story.

How are you the sheep King? Why not go for Unbiased Neutrality King?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#20 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49580 Posts
lol Iphone 5 number 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
2nd best gadget no one cares or just 2nd best gadget? Cuz i don't see why would this be in 2nd place. No one cares about a wiiu and it has nothing amazing to be on 2nd place lol the screen isn't even a real touch screen. Shouldn't be in 2nd place but Nintendo probably payedsilversix_
I am of course failing to understand how 'the screen isn't even a real touch screen.'

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Charizard being impartial again. An Engagdet story one day poo-pooing the Wii U, and now this positive story.

psymon100
Don't ask me, it's everyone on here who votes me Sheep King, I had nothing to do with it :P
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

iPhone 5 at #1? lolno

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#24 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Crap. The Wii U will soon become an outdated system with a tacked on gimmic no one will care about any more. The only saving factor will be Nintendo's 1st party, but honestly if Nintendo went 3rd party no one would buy the Wii U. It's not a good system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Crap. The Wii U will soon become an outdated system with a tacked on gimmic no one will care about any more. The only saving factor will be Nintendo's 1st party, but honestly if Nintendo went 3rd party no one would buy the Wii U. It's not a good system.

ShadowMoses900
And so, System Wars starts new year by plunging even further into stupidity...charizard1605
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

That Raspberry Pi should have been number 1 considering its significance.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

psymon100

Because the spectrum of bias hate towards Nintendo is so shifted that anyone who is neutral seems like a massive sheep in comparison

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AmayaPapaya

if Nintendo went 3rd party no one would buy the Wii U

ShadowMoses900

No way! Your telling me that a system without it's 1st party support wouldn't be worth buying? Get outta town!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

VendettaRed07

Because the spectrum of bias hate towards Nintendo is so shifted that anyone who is neutral seems like a massive sheep in comparison

Naw man, don't play the victim card.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts
The hard wares leaves a lot to be desired but the concept is really damn cool.
p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

I hit the next button to see number one and then closed the page :|

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

iPhone 5 at #1? lolno

PatchMaster
iPhone 5 is number 1 and the Samsung S3 not even on the list...so sad

ShadowMoses900
This is a list of the best from 2012...Saying it will be outdated soon is pointless when talking about a list from 2012. Gimmicks are one of the key drivers behind the sales of a gaming system. To say no one cares about them shows you lack of understanding the game market.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Well from a UK standpoint I think this list is pretty terrible.

I would say the number 1 should be the Pi, then with things such as S3 close by. The iphone5 should be in the list but I would say the bottom half of the top 10. The Wii U shouldnt be in it. There is pretty much zero hype from what I have seen in regards to the Wii U. I dont even see how the Wii U is even in there considering the points made are already available via xbox 360 and PS3. I would have had a "smart" tv in there instead. Again the surface; while imo a bit lack luster should be in there.

I would have liked to see an electric car in the list. There are quite a few really nice ones, although maybe they are not of a 2012 release.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Let me try to guess what the number one will be...

lol Iphone 5 number 1.Stevo_the_gamer

Oh, how did I know?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

lol Iphone 5 number 1.Stevo_the_gamer

^this.

Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

At first I was like,

Yao-ming-meme.jpg

but then I sawthey named GW2 their Goty, and Xenoblade Chronicles the runner-up. Then I was all like,

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
1. iPhone 5 2. Wii U 3. Sony RX100 Very nice, I own those 3 "gadgets" B)
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

At first I was like,

Yao-ming-meme.jpg

but then I sawthey named GW2 their Goty, and Xenoblade Chronicles the runner-up. Then I was all like,

Cruxis27

iPhone 5 as #1 pretty much destroys any amount of credibility those guys have.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

[QUOTE="Cruxis27"]

At first I was like,

Yao-ming-meme.jpg

Goyoshi12

iPhone 5 as #1 pretty much destroys any amount of credibility those guys have.

It benchmarks better than any other phone in North America, the OS is smoother, the screen is the best quality, the audio quality is unrivaled
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Yeah.....I just can't bring myself to. are what Time writes. Can't even remember the last time I bothered with a Time magazine.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

At first I was like,

Yao-ming-meme.jpg

Cruxis27

Besides having LBP on their best games of the year list man, that list was actually really solid.