Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1083 Posts

Just finished it my self last night, but I'm still not sure what to think of it exactly. Really liked the atmosphere and the setting of the old house, but the plot felt confusing and Jesse felt a bit unrelatable as a protagonist. What did you think of it?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 37492 Posts

Too much like a corridor shooter.

Alan Wake & Quantum Break >>>>>> Control by a light year or two. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I hate the BioWare way to doing dialogue now. A few canned animations repeated over and over as the camera looks at the protagonist's face and then the NPC's face, back and forth. Compare it with something like the old MGS games, where the director played around with the camera, had it look down from above, pan across, focus on certain objects, use wide shots, etc., and had characters interacting with the environment, walking about and actually doing things as they exchanged dialogue with Snake. Part of the reason I skip talking in most games now, including Control. It became so popular because games are so long now and filled with bland side quests, exposition dumps and filler.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 382 Posts

I liked it. I liked Jesse. It was a proper game, almost no cinematic BS. You could almost completely ignore the story if you wanted to. Combat was fun.

Frame rate issues, annoying difficulty spikes and clunky + laggy ui are my main complaints. Being able to equip more then 2 weapon forms would've been nice.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Loved it, reminds me of SCP's, can't wait for the sequel. Saving the replay for when I get my 3080.

Avatar image for ghost_of_phobos
Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghost_of_Phobos
Member since 2020 • 1312 Posts

Fun gunplay and rewarding exploration. Recommend. It's a modern day metrovania.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 6120 Posts

I don't like her face. She breaks my immersion, so i refuse to play the game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 15010 Posts

I like it a lot. Haven't finished it yet because I spread myself too thin with other games. But I definitely will - esp once I finish CP. One criticism is the difficulty is erratic and I tend to get frustrated easily by that kind of thing. But it's a keeper and kind of came from nowhere on my radar.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#9 Star67
Member since 2005 • 4804 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Fun gunplay and rewarding exploration. Recommend. It's a modern day metrovania.

My thoughts as well ^^^^

It's a Solid AA game, the best part about it is that it feels unique. It's not another open world or fortnite clone.

It feels like a gamers game, very little hand holding, lots of gameplay and not much watching. It was a breath of fresh air TBH

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45234 Posts

I really love it! Best Remedy game I played back in 2019 and its sitting in #2 in my top 10 2019. I love the gameplay style, using Telekinesis was the only powers I use the most than the Gun for the most parts. Pistol & Pierce is all I really use throughout the game. While I didn't get that Alan Wake vide even though it shares the same universe, Control was doing its own thing. Control is soooo much better then Quantum Break, one of Remedy's disappointment game but in there defense, it was all MS fault how it turn out but that's another story.

While playing Control on PC with RTX features, using RT really makes the game amazing and its really icing on the cake.

@xantufrog said:

I like it a lot. Haven't finished it yet because I spread myself too thin with other games. But I definitely will - esp once I finish CP. One criticism is the difficulty is erratic and I tend to get frustrated easily by that kind of thing. But it's a keeper and kind of came from nowhere on my radar.

That is unacceptable! Whenever you are done with CP2077, go back and finish Control. Always try to not spread yourself too far with other games but hey, I'm good at managing my time/day, so it can be hard to do but yeah Frog, you gotta finish Control or you'll never go back to it lol.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4717 Posts

I really liked it at first... then it became too much of the same. Walk into an industrial looking building, throw some stuff at enemies, rinse and repeat. Did not finish it and do not really care to go back.

Ray tracing is subtle but gives it a real nice look. Game looks good and has is polished... but I did not care enough to make it through.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12  Edited By Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 17023 Posts

Its remedys worst game. Terrible shooting plus bulletsponges plus worst remedy protagonist and so fourth.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#13 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 46529 Posts

@davillain-: I am interested in how Quantum Break turned out in the end was MS fault. From what I have read from the developers, it was their design choices.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ProtossRushX  Online
Member since 2007 • 8595 Posts

Looks like garbage thats my thoughts. Not only does it look like crap but they made you pay 40 dollar for a next gen upgrade on top of that?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 6638 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Everything you said is wrong. From Remedy "On top of that, players who purchased Control originally on PS4 and Xbox One will be able to upgrade the game for free once it becomes available on the next-gen consoles."

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 49074 Posts

The gameplay is top-notch, probably the best thing to happen to a third-person shooter in years. Instead of cover, cover, shoot, move to cover, cover, shoot....they instead have you dodging, using powers, swapping weapon forms based on need (though not stooping to the standard "rock, paper, scissor" method of what-weapon-for-what-enemy), and more.

Story is good, though confusing (but in a good way, I'm OK not knowing WTF is going on haha), characters are really solid and relatable, and the Oldest House is both a great character itself in addition to game world.

The difficulty spikes had me rage-quitting a few times, but ultimately it was a lot of fun. Hope to see either a sequel or more games in this vein (Control, Prey, etc) where it's simple-but-solid gunplay paired with fun-but-weird powers that all takes place in a large-but-not-too-big game world.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 277 Posts

I played and beat this game when it first came out and gave it a 7/10 which is good, not great. Like OP, I didn't know what to think of it. Except, it's been on my mind ever since I beat it and I have been itching to possibly go through the game again and really dive into the weirdness. I'm going to wait for the next gen ports of it.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 8049 Posts

I couldn't get into it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#19  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 8035 Posts

Haven't finished it yet, but my opinion of it is this; so-so combat, strong world building and sense of mystery. The latter, I do like a lot - but then again, I also like spending time in the SCP Wiki.

So yeah, if you can forgive some gameplay shortcomings, then this is basically SCP Foundation: The Game. Decide for yourself if that description is enough for you.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#20 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 46529 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

The gameplay is top-notch, probably the best thing to happen to a third-person shooter in years. Instead of cover, cover, shoot, move to cover, cover, shoot....they instead have you dodging, using powers, swapping weapon forms based on need (though not stooping to the standard "rock, paper, scissor" method of what-weapon-for-what-enemy), and more.

Story is good, though confusing (but in a good way, I'm OK not knowing WTF is going on haha), characters are really solid and relatable, and the Oldest House is both a great character itself in addition to game world.

The difficulty spikes had me rage-quitting a few times, but ultimately it was a lot of fun. Hope to see either a sequel or more games in this vein (Control, Prey, etc) where it's simple-but-solid gunplay paired with fun-but-weird powers that all takes place in a large-but-not-too-big game world.

Are you taking jabs at Gears? Because that sounds like the shit gameplay in Gears. I am amaze that the game is still "relevant" with that tankish and archaic gameplay.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ProtossRushX  Online
Member since 2007 • 8595 Posts

@sealionact said:

@ProtossRushX: Everything you said is wrong. From Remedy "On top of that, players who purchased Control originally on PS4 and Xbox One will be able to upgrade the game for free once it becomes available on the next-gen consoles."

Have you been living under a rock or something for the past year?

Those who purchase Control Ultimate Edition on Xbox One or PS4 will receive a free digital upgrade for the Xbox Series X or PS5 version. This upgrade path is only available for those who purchase the Ultimate Edition. If you've previously purchased the base game, you will not receive a free next-gen upgrade.

There have been tons of posts over this dude try to keep up.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mtron32  Online
Member since 2006 • 4136 Posts

It was my favorite game of last gen. I got Control and Jedi Fallen Order at the same time, I still haven't finished Jedi because I feel like Control was the far better Jedi game. The combat and controls felt responsive and crisp while the leveling up was very rewarding. I remember not understanding how to maximize upgrades for the longest time when I was deep into the game, but I was still able to do battle against many of the enemies with the default weapon which was impressive.

I'd love to play it again but I know I don't have the time. Hopefully there's a sequel

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 33549 Posts

Looks good and I picked up the Ultimate Edition for the Xbox One before Christmas but haven’t gotten around to playing it yet. I am really itching to start but trying to finish Yakuza: Like a Dragon first. Should be starting it really soon though as I’m near the end in Yakuza.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1083 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Too much like a corridor shooter.

Alan Wake & Quantum Break >>>>>> Control by a light year or two. :P

Quantum break had a pretty well told story surprisingly but the gameplay felt a bit half baked, I really like Alan Wake though despite the combat getting a bit repetitive by the end. Needed more enemy variety.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 146 Posts

I still need to work my way through it, but I really enjoyed my time with it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

#26 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 13371 Posts

It's a decent game. I give it a 6/10. The combat is fun, but the bland environments and messed up story/presentation hold it back.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 33549 Posts

I did very much enjoy Alan Wake and Quantum Break so I’m pretty eager to play this as well especially the dlc.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 20825 Posts

Just finished it a couple of weeks ago. I found it boring, i was glad when it was over.

I skipped every cutscene, so i didn't know nor care about the story & the backtracking in the game sucked as there was just too much of it.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 3980 Posts

I really liked the overall tone and general weirdness, but I found the level design confusing and I found the plot hard to follow. I like that it started right in the middle of the action, but it felt like I was completely missing an opening chapter or previous game or something. It was a narrative that dropped players in while it was already in motion and never slowed down to fill us in on what the hell was going on.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 I_P_Daily

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: So what you're saying is that by me skipping every cutscene i didn't miss much 🤣

Also Sam Lake should be drug tested on a regular basis, his stories in Remedies games have always been weird af 😂

Thankfully i couldn't give a shit about the stories in video games as they get in the way of playing said video games.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 3980 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: So what you're saying is that by me skipping every cutscene i didn't miss much 🤣

Also Sam Lake should be drug tested on a regular basis, his stories in Remedies games have always been weird af 😂

Thankfully i couldn't give a shit about the stories in video games as they get in the way of playing said video games.

I think the game had a good story, it's just the narrative team at Remedy forgot to tell us.

I'm hit and miss on stories in games; if they're not well told, I usually end up skipping them, but I'll watch them if they properly suck me in.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#32 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24465 Posts

I really enjoyed the base game, especially the story. I was surprised by how funny it was. Also, the level design and combat is a huge upgrade from Alan Wake.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 I_P_Daily

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Me im filthy on devs who don't have a skip button, i stopped playing that ginger haired Star Wars game because i couldn't skip the cutscenes. After 2 levels i'd had enough and turned it off.

A story should never be the main focus of a game, but thats how its going these days sadly.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2313 Posts

Something abnormal with her animations.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2209 Posts

Ugly game. trash performance, horror not my type

in short nice raytracing demo but that's about it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 27115 Posts

Looks pretty lame so I never played it. Alan Wake was pretty lame, so I think I'm correct.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 7923 Posts

it was a decent game. 7/10.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 382 Posts

@Litchie:

For what it's worth ... I thought Alan Wake was super lame. No idea how anybody could finish that game. I quit like an hour or 2 in.

I enjoyed Control quite a bit by contrast.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18912 Posts

Absolutely loved it. One of my favorite games of the past few years.

One of the only recent games I wanted to restart after I finished it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 27115 Posts

@my_user_name: Yeah, I guess it's better than Alan Wake, which was a slog. Still not interested though. Got cooler shit to play. Might try it somewhere down the line when it's free or dirt cheap.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 294 Posts

I'm going to wait until I have something next gen to play it on. Love the look of it and really like Quantum Break which is underrated in my opinion.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pmanden  Online
Member since 2016 • 1242 Posts

I am waiting to give it a try till I buy a PS5 or Xsex. Quantum Break wasn't that great, but it did deliver a unique experience and I am glad that I played it.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13441 Posts

I played it earlier last year. I thought it exceeded my expectations and was generally impressed by it. It was also very memorable along with some great atmosphere. Probably 2nd to DMC5 for my 2019 GOTY.

I just wish I had played it on PC and not the OG PS4.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11303 Posts

A bit of a bore, liked QB better :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 38104 Posts

Those objective based missions like go kills however many enemies of a type in a certain area only works like half the time, the random encounter system could use more refinement. The DLC looks as cheap and as lazy as the Alan Wake DLC. Aside from that the mechanics, game story design, art design, the technical design, all pretty solid. But, that whole gotta double dip to get the "free upgrade", I am done with the game, or my support of the studio.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57798 Posts

Really enjoyed the game. Plugged in 20 hours on a single playthrough, including the DLC. The story is definitely confusing, so I used the wiki to look up certain things for a more in-depth explanation, and it started to make more sense. It's gonna be cool to see them expand in the sequel, and whilst the Old House is massive, i'd like to see Jese get out and explore.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

...The gameplay is top-notch, probably the best thing to happen to a third-person shooter in years. Instead of cover, cover, shoot, move to cover, cover, shoot....they instead have you dodging, using powers...

Are you taking jabs at Gears? Because that sounds like the shit gameplay in Gears. I am amaze that the game is still "relevant" with that tankish and archaic gameplay.

Yes I am.

Gears Tactics is literally the best Gears game to come out since, I don't know....Gears 2? Though TBH I was never really a huge fan of the Gears games themselves. Which is too bad, because I love the lore and game world of the series.

@TheEroica said:

Absolutely loved it. One of my favorite games of the past few years.

One of the only recent games I wanted to restart after I finished it.

That's one of my favorite feelings these days. And rare for me.

But I love beating a game and being like "Wow, that was fun and rewarding. I think I'll go again." Happened to me with The Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds, Skyrim, and Cyberpunk, to name a few.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrbojangles25
@lundy86_4 said:

Really enjoyed the game. Plugged in 20 hours on a single playthrough, including the DLC. The story is definitely confusing, so I used the wiki to look up certain things for a more in-depth explanation, and it started to make more sense. It's gonna be cool to see them expand in the sequel, and whilst the Old House is massive, i'd like to see Jese get out and explore.

I think a sequel that involves her going to the various sites of Objects of Power would be a cool sequel (or maybe a prequel with a different character). Like, she saved the day (did she? I still need to finish the game) and now she is in charge, so she goes around and responds t o reports of OoP's.

Would be a good way to introduce more powers, and it could add a cool investigation gameplay element to an already-great gameplay formula, while at the same time opening the game up.

Don't want it to be entirely open-world, though; more just like large, detailed instances with the Oldest House serving as the hub.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57798 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I think a sequel that involves her going to the various sites of Objects of Power would be a cool sequel (or maybe a prequel with a different character). Like, she saved the day (did she? I still need to finish the game) and now she is in charge, so she goes around and responds t o reports of OoP's.

Would be a good way to introduce more powers, and it could add a cool investigation gameplay element to an already-great gameplay formula, while at the same time opening the game up.

Don't want it to be entirely open-world, though; more just like large, detailed instances with the Oldest House serving as the hub.

Yeah, especially given her talents that made her the Director. Kinda hard to say without spoiling some things for you, but in a sense she saves the day.

Agreed on the idea of smaller contained levels, with the Oldest House being the hub. It'd be cool to see some AWEs outright, as opposed to seeing them solely being studied after the event.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 4907 Posts

I tried it on gamepass but didn't enjoy it strange as I liked quantum break I think it was the setting being in one big area didn't do it for me and the map was horrible.