this is how things will prob play out for ps3 price

This topic is locked from further discussion.

silverammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 silverammo
Member since 2006 • 905 Posts

1. at GDC or TGS sony will announce slim for $400

2. drop the price of phat ps3 by 100 to deplete inventory

3 then in 2010 will fully make a price cut for ps3 slim to 300.

this is my prediciton wat do you think

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

I say Sony announces a slim/price drop at this years TGS right before the holiday. Theres also a rumor that a price drop may come with Madden 10.

silverammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 silverammo

I say Sony announces a slim/price drop at this years TGS right before the holiday. Theres also a rumor that a price drop may come with Madden 10.

EVOLV3
i forgot to mention TGS
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
I think that PS3 does not have the luxury to price drop as easy as it sounds. Considering their production cost. Also, don't forget how the competition like X360 and Wii can easily lower their price as well to deflect effect of PS3 price drop.
AppleBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AppleBlade
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts

I just wonder what kind of impact it will have on sales. Contrary to popular belief sales of the PS3 have been about equal to the 360 since the launch of the PS3 (both systems have sold about 22 million units since the launch of the PS3). If the 360 keeps selling at the same that it has for the last 2 years and the PS3 gets any bump whatsoever it will start outselling the 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts

I hope they cut the price to below £200 in the UK. Then I might buy one.

Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts

I don't they they will release a slim ps3

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zaistev_basic

I just wonder what kind of impact it will have on sales. Contrary to popular belief sales of the PS3 have been about equal to the 360 since the launch of the PS3 (both systems have sold about 22 million units since the launch of the PS3). If the 360 keeps selling at the same that it has for the last 2 years and the PS3 gets any bump whatsoever it will start outselling the 360.

AppleBlade
In a way that could be true considering how X360 price drop did not significantly change the market. However, same can be true in PS3. If any one of you thinks that the price of PS3 is the only one that is stopping it from selling, think again. There are other factors as well on why PS3 is not selling well. X360 despite its RROD, has the most 3rd party support, but that did not translate to better sales. PS3, even with the price drop will not translate to better sales IMO, because of the market itself.
silverammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silverammo

All_that_is_Man
they did it with ps1 psp ps2 of course they are
BlancoBX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlancoBX
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts

Sony needs to focus there R&D on lowering the manufacturing cost of the current ps3 rather than taking the time and money to create a slim ps3, which would prolly be just as expensive to manufacture as the old ones.

Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaistev_basic
[QUOTE="silverammo"][QUOTE="All_that_is_Man"]

they did it with ps1 psp ps2 of course they are

That's true, but it is also true that PS1 and PS2 have sold well enough to suggest a slim version. I can't really say the same for PS3 though.
Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
PS3 slim isnt slim for a reason...That price better be slim to!
AppleBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AppleBlade
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts

Sony needs to focus there R&D on lowering the manufacturing cost of the current ps3 rather than taking the time and money to create a slim ps3, which would prolly be just as expensive to manufacture as the old ones.

BlancoBX
Actually you are 100% wrong on that. Why do you think video game manufactures frequently make slim versions of their systems later in the lifespan (i.e. nes, genesis, snes, ps1, ps2)? The reason is because by making the device more simple to manufacture (and lower the chip count) you are making it smaller and cheaper at the same time. Sony is not making it smaller just for the hell of it, you better believe they are reducing the manufacturing cost as well.
xscott1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xscott1018
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
i don't think that there will be a price cut :( i really want a price cut just so i can get a ps3. i also plan on getting one if they don't announce one.
GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 GANGSTASAN
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

I hope they cut the price to below £200 in the UK. Then I might buy one.

comeonthehoops
Below £200? Mate, (Im British too..) no chance, ont until the future. A decent/standard Blu ray player costs about £200 here in the UK. The PS3 will be about £200 soon. But that would take 'some' time. To me, £300 is alright and I'm a secondary school student :P
-Traveller-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Traveller-
Member since 2009 • 2477 Posts

I expect Sony to announce a bump in price :P

Hmmm, maybe they'll take some off this year. Then again, maybe not.

BlancoBX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BlancoBX
Member since 2009 • 894 Posts
[QUOTE="BlancoBX"]

AppleBlade
Actually you are 100% wrong on that. Why do you think video game manufactures frequently make slim versions of their systems later in the lifespan (i.e. nes, genesis, snes, ps1, ps2)? The reason is because by making the device more simple to manufacture (and lower the chip count) you are making it smaller and cheaper at the same time. Sony is not making it smaller just for the hell of it, you better believe they are reducing the manufacturing cost as well.

yea but the ps1 and ps2 were further along in their lifespans, had numerous price drops before the making of a slim version and did not debut at 500-600 dollars when they released. Trying to figure out how to make the ps3 hardware smaller will cost sony money, when they could use that time and money to just make the current ones alot cheaper to make finally enabling them to reduce the retail price of the console. At this point making a slim ps3 should be the last thing sony is trying to do
Hihatrider87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Hihatrider87
Member since 2007 • 1042 Posts

companies announce price drops as late as possible so that some people will still buy before the price drops. i don't remember too many times a company has announced a price drop at a trade show.

usually rumors come for about a month, then it actually happens. i haven't heard to many leaks that sony is gearing up for a price drop.