This article shows why people screaming "artificial scarcity" on Switch are idiots

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Techhog89

Poll This article shows why people screaming "artificial scarcity" on Switch are idiots (39 votes)

I can't believe people ever thought Nintendo intentionally did this for Switch. 62%
This article convinced me that I was wrong. 0%
Bullshit. It's artificial scarcity and nothing will convince me otherwise. 38%

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-23-heres-why-deliberate-switch-shortages-is-a-ridiculous-notion

The fact that this article needs to exist just shows how ridiculous gamers are. Some people just can't live without someone to blame for their problems. Hell, the US elected a president like that. There is no chance that Nintendo is pulling anything like this for Switch. None whatsoever.

Note that this is specifically for Switch. For NES Classic, Amiibo, and their limited editions? I'm not going to argue for or against those. The difference between those and Switch is simple: Nintendo makes money mainly from Siwtch software and accessories, not hardware. They need as many out there as they can get. On top of that, being outsold by PS4 week after week makes them look bad, so if they were doing they'd at least be putting out enough units to outsell PS4. But hey, I'm sure some of you have reasons for sticking to your guns against all logic, so go ahead.

• 
DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Don't believe the Nintendo deep state

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

The difference between those and Switch is simple: Nintendo makes money mainly from Siwtch software and accessories, not hardware. They need as many out there as they can get.

350 euros here Switch is costing when PS4 PRO is at 370euros ...

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@drlostrib: Explain your reasoning then. Also, do you believe that the PS4 shortages at launch and the ongoing PSVR shortages were artificial?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Techhog89

@AzatiS: I'm not saying that they are selling at a loss. However, they make more money from software and accessories than from hardware. Also, from what I understand, in your case the cause of that is Nintendo using a really crappy distributor. Also, you've already said that you don't have shortages where you live in the first place, to the point that you don't even believe there's a supply issue at all.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@techhog89 said:

@drlostrib: Explain your reasoning then. Also, do you believe that the PS4 shortages at launch and the ongoing PSVR shortages were artificial?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yes, people claiming 'artificial scarcity' are idiots.

No, LostRib is not one of them.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Techhog89

@drlostrib: @charizard1605: Sorry. The post was vague and I didn't understand.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Probably more due to the scarcity of hardware that Nintendo buys in from suppliers such as the ram.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

These are the same people who thought the Power of the Clouds (xb1 )was the future of gaming.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AzatiS

@techhog89 said:

@AzatiS: I'm not saying that they are selling at a loss. However, they make more money from software and accessories than from hardware. Also, from what I understand, in your case the cause of that is Nintendo using a really crappy distributor. Also, you've already said that you don't have shortages where you live in the first place, to the point that you don't even believe there's a supply issue at all.

Thats the case for every console manufacturer. They making way more money in the long run from accessories and of course software sales. Thats a given for every console out there. In the past many consoles were selling at a loss in purpose for that reason. Thats common sense BUT in Switchs case that is so overpriced and has all the momentum behind it to sell well ... thats alot of money right there to say " Nintendo dont care about hardware sales". 350euros baby each Switch !! Wtf you talking about

Also i never said i dont beleive theres a supply issue in the regions that there is a supply issue, i said to NOT exaggerate about this shortage like its a worldwide phenomenon because there are plenty of switches to find in european market and in many markets around the globe in general aside those big markets AND that i dont understand Nintendo why to support regions like mine that seems noone cares that much than push more units in US market or something more. It doesnt make any sense

So next time dont talk out of your little ass and say craps like i dont even beleived there was a supply issue at all.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Techhog89

@AzatiS: I feel like this is another pointless argument because I never said that it only applied to Nintendo, and your point about the cost in your country is completely irrelevant to this thread or any of my points.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AzatiS

@techhog89 said:

@AzatiS: I feel like this is another pointless argument because I never said that it only applied to Nintendo, and your point about the cost in your country is completely irrelevant to this thread or any of my points.

You panicking and talking out your little ass now ! Damage control

I repeat Einstein , 350 euros each Switch and they dont care to push hardware ? Let me say it otherwise because youll start again, having Switch slightly cheaper than PS4 pro and they dont care to push sales ? Are you crazy ? When you can sell something like in a seriously overpriced price you eager to sell more and more and more, specially if everyone wants one right now ! So take back that crap you said about Nintendo makes money mainly from Switch software not hardware. Damn... Switch shouldnt cost more than 150 max and its double that

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Techhog89

@AzatiS: Wow, you're aggressive. .-. So, what is your point, exactly? That you believe the markup on Switch is insanely high and is their primary source of income this time around, and as a result artificial scarcity makes sense for Switch because selling consoles matters more than software?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

You know that you don't always have to make a poll for every topic.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AzatiS

@techhog89 said:

@AzatiS: Wow, you're aggressive. .-. So, what is your point, exactly? That you believe the markup on Switch is insanely high and is their primary source of income this time around, and as a result artificial scarcity makes sense for Switch because selling consoles matters more than software?

Hit a button yet ? No? Damn.

My point is that you said The difference between those and Switch is simple: Nintendo makes money mainly from Siwtch software and accessories, not hardware.

And that is the case for all consoles as we speak out there not just Switch. But at the same time i found this statement wrong for the reason that Switch is being sold at double the price it should be in the first place which this means Nintendo is making serious money over hardware alone and the price difference between Switch and PS4 PRO or even X1S proves that point further. So, that right there is a wrong statement.

So i dont agree with that at all. Thats all. Now if you want to bring in this older arguments or make it personal because i dont agree with that go ahead , do it but DONT LIE about things ive said. Some people around here you have this habbit to do this over and over and its as a BETA male behavor as it gets.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AzatiS

@metalslimenite said:
@AzatiS said:

Damn... Switch shouldnt cost more than 150 max and its double that

PS4 Pro costs $400 and isn't worth half that price.

YEah maybe, but if thats the case imagine Switchs worth. Practically Switch is a slightly better Wii U sold in 2017... for 300$ and since you all taking it as a console ( which im telling you a year now is wrong and might backfire ) ... compare it with PS4 PRO and tell me its price is solid. No, compare it even with PS4 slim and tell me whats up

So lets be real. Nintendo loves those hardware sales and OP is wrong by saying they making money at this point mainly from software and not hardware. 300$ for this ? I would be amazed if they are not making 100$ profit per console.

KMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KMP
Member since 2017 • 380 Posts

Nintendo gonna Nintendo with that artificial scarcity.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nintendo have gross profit margins, people are morons who support it.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Techhog89

@AzatiS: first of all, there's the distributor point that you ignored. Second, the price that you would personally pay for it has no bearing on what most of the market would pay. Finally, by all estimates, it costs more than that to make right now.

You know would help to drop that cost though? Producing more. So it's in Nintendo's best interest to produce as many as they can. Thanks man, you added another point to what I've said instead of disproving one. Lol.

The funniest part of this is that you probably have an iPhone or a high-end smartphone that you're using as you complain about markups.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

No, Nintendo isn't doing it on purpose, they are just stupid

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

What you also have to factor in MSRP is R&D costs. While your average console is just a plastic box wrapped around some hardware, the Switch took just a little more thought to design and develop.

Take the Lexus LFA for example, Toyota lost money on every single one sold and it was priced well over its closest competition. They had to charge as much as they did because it cost so much to design and create.

The design of the Switch is genius from every angle, and every possible setup combination. It's solid in the hand, feels like it's worth the price whether you're in handheld or have it docked with a Pro in your hands.

Every handheld predating the Switch is susceptible to needing replacement if you kill the sticks/buttons/dpad etc, and even if you're careful like me some games (Mario party, Smash Bros etc) can be very hard on the input points. Kill a Switch stick/buttons, slap on new Joycon and it's like brand new. IMO Nintendo put more thought in designing the Switch than every console from every manufacturer, handhelds included, predating it.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AzatiS

@metalslimenite said:
@AzatiS said:
@metalslimenite said:
@AzatiS said:

Damn... Switch shouldnt cost more than 150 max and its double that

PS4 Pro costs $400 and isn't worth half that price.

YEah maybe, but if thats the case imagine Switchs worth.

Switch is worth twice that since I can play it at home and on the go.

Switch is ... shit for 300+ ! Sorry !

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

People claiming artificial scarcity aren't necessarily wrong. But it's more of the company soft releasing something because they don't know how it is gonna take off. Nintendo with damn near everything does this. MS did it with the Elite controller and I bet they will do it with the X1X. Once something's taken off these companies don't want to lose that momentum and want to take advantage of the impulse buy and what this stuff on shelves, they don't deliberately hold out

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Techhog89

@xxyetixx: Shipping almost 3 million in the first month is a soft release? They were conservative, but it wasn't a soft launch at all. I think without the NAND shortage they'd be shipping at least a million per month worldwide.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xxyetixx

@techhog89: hell yeah 3 million is a soft release in the first month. Especially the if they launched would wide.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Techhog89

@xxyetixx: What would you consider a typical number then? Keep in mind that we're not talking about a holiday launch here.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

The fragility of some is so so satisfying to me.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AzatiS

@metalslimenite said:
@AzatiS said:
@metalslimenite said:
@AzatiS said:

YEah maybe, but if thats the case imagine Switchs worth.

Switch is worth twice that since I can play it at home and on the go.

Your uneducated opinion = crap on a cracker. Fact.

Keep overpaying sheep ! Youre a sheep for a reason, all metaphors included. Fact

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Techhog89

Four people voting that it's artificial, zero defending that position. Lol

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xxyetixx

@techhog89: true even if they made 1 million for NA, 1 million for EU, and a Million for Japan/Australia/South America and exceeded those sales you'd think they'd have another Million for each ready to go. I don't know what these companies thing a good launch amount is. You're talking about a lot of people in these areas, then over saturation, having to do sales if it isn't successful. I still feel they soft launched it but coulda hurt themselves is they manufactured 6 Million for the launch so main areas for 2 million. I'm pretty sure when Nintendo announced the Switch they said they were gonna make 8 Million for the first year then doubled that to 16 after the launch. That right there kinda tells me they were dipping their toes in the water and were cautious with the launch.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@AzatiS said:

It's estimated manufacturing costs come in around $260, which means the mark-up isn't that substantial (depending on region, naturally).

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Techhog89

@xxyetixx: The production numbers were never confirmed.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

There's 2 types of people in the world. Trolls and idiots. This thread is proof of that.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AzatiS

@metalslimenite said:
@AzatiS said:
@metalslimenite said:
@AzatiS said:

Your uneducated opinion = crap on a cracker. Fact.

Keep overpaying sheep ! Youre a sheep for a reason, all metaphors included. Fact

Sheep = superior to a cow. Fact.

Sheep you are sheep in more than 1 way.

What cows has to do with this ? They are the same as you but you cant call cow a sheep even if they are as much as you! It doesnt fit. Calling you sheep though with 2 in 1 meaning , priceless.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By xxyetixx

@techhog89: they most certainly did announce that they planned on shipping 8 million Switch's in the first year. Then after launch they doubled that number to 16 million

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Techhog89

@xxyetixx: No, they didn't. The 10 million target is the only official number for this FY.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xxyetixx

@techhog89:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/nintendo-plans-to-ship-10-million-switch-consoles-in-the-next-year/%3famp=1

It's all there. How they expect to ship 10 million how reported production went from 8 to 16 Million.

Which is all after the launch of the console, because it was so successful their plan changed from the soft launch they did to step it up

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Techhog89

@xxyetixx: Look again. Those aren't official numbers.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Artificial scarcity would be a compliment for Nintendo because it would reside within the realm of competence. Nintendo fundamentally doesn't seem to understand the nuances of supply and demand, or if they do, proper allocation, and as a consequence always appear to be the victim of their own miscalculations. From what I'm hearing, the system is easily available outside of the U.S. as in walk-in purchase. I hear they're readily available in Australia and Europe. How are they continually left underestimating demand per region? I wouldn't blame them if there were a lack of systems for a few months, that is understandable, but for this long and looking to continue into the holiday season and far past? This is not the first time Nintendo's had this problem, so my sympathy for their troubles is nigh absent.

If this isn't intentional, it is incompetence.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Techhog89

@MirkoS77: FYI, it doesn't matter. In the best case, adjusting distribution would result in complete global shortages, as around 70% of units shipped so far we're to regions where it's currently sold out.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

What does the President have to do with this?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Artificial scarcity would be a compliment for Nintendo because it would reside within the realm of competence. Nintendo fundamentally doesn't seem to understand the nuances of supply and demand, or if they do, proper allocation, and as a consequence always appear to be the victim of their own miscalculations. From what I'm hearing, the system is easily available outside of the U.S. as in walk-in purchase. I hear they're readily available in Australia and Europe. How are they continually left underestimating demand per region? I wouldn't blame them if there were a lack of systems for a few months, that is understandable, but for this long and looking to continue into the holiday season and far past? This is not the first time Nintendo's had this problem, so my sympathy for their troubles is nigh absent.

If this isn't intentional, it is incompetence.

People do claim the Switch is easily obtainable outside of the United States but for all I know it can be a gross hyperbole. Supposing it is a genuine and accurate assessment, people can order it online rather than going on the scavenger hunt too often seen here. Why don't they go such a route? Nintendo is pleased with how the console is selling (minus supply issues of course) and certainly it wants to sell as many as possible but I do not have much sympathy for those who waited. People decided the game of waiting was more beneficial than pre ordering in January and now they are seeing just how bad of a decision they made and just how regrettable it manifested. Comparing the Switch and Wii availability shows me something (good or bad) is going on and it is much easier to get the new console than some ten years ago when it mimicked trying to purchase a Cabbage Patch Kid from the early 80's complete with mass shortages, fist fights, etc..,

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

If you really believe Nintendo is behind some sort of "artificial scarcity", then i bet you also believe the earth is flat.