Third-Person Shooters without Cover Systems?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

So, no cover system, no regenerating health games? Are there any new games like that?

I miss old time. I remember Mafia and SOCOM: Confrontation. Too bad that so many games uses cover system and hp regain which makes game so easy. No cover system = You need more skills to kill enemy. No HP regain = even more skills you need.

Cover system is weak. Just hide forever till you get your HP back, or enemy runs out of bullets.

I wondering what were last Third-Person Shooters games without Cover System and without hp regain.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

So, no cover system, no regenerating health games? Are there any new games like that?

I miss old time. I remember Mafia and SOCOM: Confrontation. Too bad that so many games uses cover system and hp regain which makes game so easy. No cover system = You need more skills to kill enemy. No HP regain = even more skills you need.

Cover system is weak. Just hide forever till you get your HP back, or enemy runs out of bullets.

I wondering what were last Third-Person Shooters games without Cover System and without hp regain.

Warhammer 40,000 space marine is a good 3rd person shooter with no cover system.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I'm with you on the Regenerating Health but Cover System is miles better than running around sticking out your head. The Only reason cover systems suck is because they don't have good AI to go along with them.

Also The Last Of Us has no cover system and has no Regenerating Health.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I'm with you on the Regenerating Health but Cover System is miles better than running around sticking out your head. The Only reason cover systems suck is because they don't have good AI to go along with them.

Also The Last Of Us has no cover system and has no Regenerating Health.

Cover system works only when its big action game where it needs in awesome scenes like Uncharted 2 train scene.

No, without Cover system you don´t running around... you more sneak than run and take cover. In real world nobody takes cover like that.. more about sneaking and shooting. You should play old classic games.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I second Space Marine - it didn't have cover system, though it had regenerative HP.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Did Thief Deadly Shadows have regenerative health? If it did, then maybe old-school Tomb Raider games...

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

H-Hour the true successor to SOCOM 1 and 2 and much like SOCOM Confrontation. The game releases early 2015. Once again check it out at sofstudios.com tell em' Wit sent you.

The best gameplay and community of ALL TIME is already re-assembling.... join us :)

Fans of SOCOM, 1 lifers, no health regen, no cover system, no aim assist, clan based, tactical shooters unite.

For those that have not played a shooter since S2 THIS is what SOCOM 3 should have been... could have been.

I know we have all been duped by recent SOCOM games, but just go check this out... you will be stunned to find out it is the real deal.

Even Sukmyturban is on board... the creator of the SOCOM is dead videos on youtube.

Here you go:

Loading Video...

You can thank me later. ;)

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Resistance 3 the one i can think of that has no cover system and no health regeneration.. the game was hard as f**k even on easy mode i mean no game made me rage that much in story mode like R3 did.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Lost Planet, it was an amazing TPS with no cover system and used thermal energy to heal.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46218 Posts

Only the best third person shooters ever made:

Max Payne 1&2

Max Payne 3 also doesn't have regenerating health, but it does have a cover system. Though I think you can play the game without using it.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Arguably the best game of all time. Resident Evil 4

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Red Faction Armageddon. Alan Wake. Just Cause 2.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WitIsWisdom

For the record OTS is NOT Classic 3rd person. Not saying RE4 was a bad game....

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

TPS was my favorite genre before Gears ruined it. Arghhh!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Resident Evil 4. No health regen or cover

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@ FreedomFreeLife

Sneaking around is pointless in the heat of a fire fight and as for The Last Of Us it proved very cumbersome in stealth. Absoltion and Blacklist were better off putting cover systems to go together with "sneaking around" as you put it. Cover is great, without cover you get shot, pure and simple. Hell Racings games should have a cover system.... Just for fun.

What exactly does taking cover mean to you ?

And as for real life, well, in Real life your ass will get shot if you don't hide behind something.

And I played classic games. Mario and Sonic just can't make use of cover, doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool if they could stick to walls. :p

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@nutcrackr said:

Red Faction Armageddon. Alan Wake. Just Cause 2.

Ah yes, how could I forget Alan Wake ?!

Though, I would say Alan Wake: American Nightmare is the better TPS as it has more weapon and enemy variety. Alan Wake has the better story on the other hand.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

TC went full SNIPER.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

^I miss that Crazy Bastard^

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Never understood the hatred for regenerating health? Do people like getting finished off by lucky noobs as they catch you on the way to a health pack when yur low health? Frankly I wanna see a multiplayer game where every kill instantly heals you to full. You wanna kill someone you should have to outshoot em imo.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I get the no regenerating health, but cover system i mean if i can't duck and cover then what am i, a person who can't bend his legs???? I mean covering we can do as humans, i don't want someone to make me disabled just to make the game harder, unless we end up with a game about being a disabled Ex army man or something which could work, i mean wheel chair and guns go hand in hand.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

Never understood the hatred for regenerating health? Do people like getting finished off by lucky noobs as they catch you on the way to a health pack when yur low health? Frankly I wanna see a multiplayer game where every kill instantly heals you to full. You wanna kill someone you should have to outshoot em imo.

Regenerating Health just looks lazy and cheap. After all most of us have gamed for a good portion of our live and had to live with games that dealt with "getting some sort of Medic Pack or Medicine" to help us get through the level. We feel very accomplished for beating a game like that and auto-regen doesn't give out that same reward.

Anyway to TC.

Why you hate covering so much?

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BeardMaster

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@BeardMaster said:

Regenerating Health just looks lazy and cheap. After all most of us have gamed for a good portion of our live and had to live with games that dealt with "getting some sort of Medic Pack or Medicine" to help us get through the level. We feel very accomplished for beating a game like that and auto-regen doesn't give out that same reward.

Anyway to TC.

In terms of single player I dont miss the med packs, and getting stuck in a spot where there are too many enemies and im low on health, then having to sift through my save files to find a good point to revert back to. I view regenerating health as a good solution to a rather frustrating element of old school game design. I almost feel like it might be more a case of the nostalgia talking.... if anything, I think the cover system is what makes modern shooters feel less satisfying as it essentially turns them into a glorified game of whack-a-mole.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@BeardMaster said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@BeardMaster said:

Anyway to TC.

In terms of single player I dont miss the med packs, and getting stuck in a spot where there are too many enemies and im low on health, then having to sift through my save files to find a good point to revert back to. I view regenerating health as a good solution to a rather frustrating element of old school game design. I almost feel like it might be more a case of the nostalgia talking.... if anything, I think the cover system is what makes modern shooters feel less satisfying as it essentially turns them into a glorified game of whack-a-mole.

Well I find it more realistic considering if you're getting shot, wouldn't you duck and cover?

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BeardMaster

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@BeardMaster said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@BeardMaster said:

Anyway to TC.

Well I find it more realistic considering if you're getting shot, wouldn't you duck and cover?

Yea i think its might just be a preference thing then, as ive never really been into realistic shooters. Always preferred the quake and unreal style arcade shooters to the military-esque more realistic variety.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

@ArisShadows: lost planet had some really cool things about it but for me, I want to find the guy who put an omnipresent countdown (t-eng) through the entirety of the game and smash his face In. Totally ruined the game for me. I'm a nook and cranny gamer. I felt constantly rushed in that game.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

Max Payne 1&2

Max Payne 3 also doesn't have regenerating health, but it does have a cover system. Though I think you can play the game without using it.

Yeah the cover system in that game is how I'd like to see more games do it, you basically used it between slow mo dives and as a way to survey the situation rather than just "plant yourself behind a wall, kill every enemy in the room and continue".

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WitIsWisdom

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ FreedomFreeLife

Sneaking around is pointless in the heat of a fire fight and as for The Last Of Us it proved very cumbersome in stealth. Absoltion and Blacklist were better off putting cover systems to go together with "sneaking around" as you put it. Cover is great, without cover you get shot, pure and simple. Hell Racings games should have a cover system.... Just for fun.

What exactly does taking cover mean to you ?

And as for real life, well, in Real life your ass will get shot if you don't hide behind something.

And I played classic games. Mario and Sonic just can't make use of cover, doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool if they could stick to walls. :p

I know exactly what he is talking about... cover systems like those in Gears, and SOCOM 4. Some call it "snap to cover" I call it "snap to camp."

Making use of cover by positioning yourself behind it is MUCH different than a "press X (or whatever) button here" to automatically glue yourself to the object and then having the ability to shoot from the cover without exposing yourself too much.

HERE is a SOCOM 4 "cover system." complete crap

Loading Video...

Classic SOCOM gameplay or even SOCOM Confrontation does not have this "feature." It only dumbs things down and makes the game more casual and camper friendly... as if campers don't have an advantage already right?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k

@bobbetybob said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Max Payne 1&2

Yeah the cover system in that game is how I'd like to see more games do it, you basically used it between slow mo dives and as a way to survey the situation rather than just "plant yourself behind a wall, kill every enemy in the room and continue".

Exactly. It was like an evolution of the cover system we've had since 2006. If you stayed at a certain spot too long enemies would try to realistically flank you, so you either need to engage them or switch cover.

In a lot of other third person shooters, it's basically: enemies throw a grenade at you, so you need to switch cover. While the enemies themselves stay in pretty much the exact spot, don't try to engage you at all.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

How does a cover system make the game easier? Don't need a cover system to hide. In what games do enemies run out of bullets? They usually have infinite ammo.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bobbetybob said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Max Payne 1&2

Exactly. It was like an evolution of the cover system we've had since 2006. If you stayed at a certain spot too long enemies would try to realistically flank you, so you either need to engage them or switch cover.

In a lot of other third person shooters, it's basically: enemies throw a grenade at you, so you need to switch cover. While the enemies themselves stay in pretty much the exact spot, don't try to engage you at all.

Uncharted from 2007 has great ai, they constantly flank and try to flush you out with grenades.

First games with decent cover systems came out in 2003.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#32 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

TPS without those things suck.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

TPS was my favorite genre before Gears ruined it. Arghhh!!!

How did Gears ruined it?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I want to play Who dares wins, again.

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

Unreal Championship 2. No cover system, no regenerating health ( unless used as a power) and one of the best looking original Xbox games. You also are able to switch between 3rd and 1st person on the fly ( like how most shooters should be!)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@ WitIsWisdomz

Wrong. If they camp, advance on their asses with grenades and shot guns! Sticking to cover is much better than simply crouching behind. For literaly ever TPS I can think of. In gears if theres a camper, just flush him out with smoke and ram his ass with the retro lancer.

I honestly don't get why people prefer to be exposed.

I'm a pretty good camper myself. hence it never bothers me when other people do it, all I have to do is imagine the last thing I want to happen when I'm hiding. And do that.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

As it was already said, you should check Max Payne 1, 2 and 3. The third has a cover system, but you play the game without ever using it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#38 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@vickissv2 said:

Unreal Championship 2. No cover system, no regenerating health ( unless used as a power) and one of the best looking original Xbox games. You also are able to switch between 3rd and 1st person on the fly ( like how most shooters should be!)

I agree with that. Especially about switching from 1st to 3rd person. Its the 8th gen for crying out loud. Give gamers the option that Fallout 3/NV and Elder scrolls does.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Mafia isn't a TPS shooter. If you want a TPS with no cover (manual or automatic) play Syphon Filter or Blasto

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

The Last of Us technically doesnt have a cover system, but at the sametime is has the best cover system of all times.

And it also doesnt have regen health

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

To me they seem like a crutch due to the inferior aiming of thumbsticks. Never needed to use cover in ME1-3 pc versions honestly.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

The Last of Us.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Dead Space 1 & 2

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ lamprey263

Did You really play Vanquish ?

@ RoboCopISJesus

I also never needed to use cover in Mass Effect but thats only because the game is designed to reward leveling up over player skill, I buff my shields and health so hard I became a non-cover taking nightmare ! Hahahaha !

@ Nengo_Flow

The Lust of Us couldve benefitted from a sticky cover system to help with swat turns and take downs from the front not to mention your character sticks out quite a bit from low cover because he does press up against unless he's on the edge. Game wouldve been better with a sticky cover than simple lazy crouching. The enemies seem to stick to the cover in ways you can't too. Thats if you're lucky enough to actually find one who isn't moving about, looking for you.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#46 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Did Thief Deadly Shadows have regenerative health? If it did, then maybe old-school Tomb Raider games...

If memory serves it did not have regenerating health.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

@ SNIPER4321

Good to have you back. But you're the one whos wrong. How does cowering behind a block of concrete ruin gameplay ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ SNIPER4321

What ? !

I need an example because I can't make sense of what you're saying.

Do you mean the PCs or the NPCs ?

And immersion is overated especially when shooting aliens in the face with Plazma Beams from hell.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#50 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

Mafia 1, Maxpayne 1/2. sadly every TPS now use cover system thus ruined gameplay too.

@princessgomez92 said:

wrong.

Great argument, SNIPER.