drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Been a Halo fan since the original Xbox. First 3 Halo games were innovated and added lots of great content. After that, MS cheapened the brand with numerous spinoffs. Reach moved the series into iron-sights Call of Duty territory. Halo 4 was a linear Doom-3 corridor shooter with a weak story and no real advancements in online multiplayer. Halo 5 is more of the same.

After Halo 3, has the Halo series evolved one bit (aside from having better graphics)?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Majority are claiming Halo 5 to be the best multiplayer Halo to date. Sounds good to me and seems they are on the rise once again. I like the innovations they brought to the gameplay in the latest installment. Too many games like Uncharted just continue to rehash things.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 drekula2

Don't let my avatar and sig fool you. I'm every bit as upset with the way Uncharted has been going.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@drekula2: Many are, i hear the multiplayer has people very upset. I still cant believe no dedicated servers, thats pretty crazy, people still complain Wii U uses peer-to-peer. But in defense, Wii U kinda has to since they cant afford to do dedicated servers on their games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Eh, Halo 4 isn't as bad as people make it out to be in my opinion.

I had a load of fun in the campain and multiplayer.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Things went downhill, or at least plateaued, after Combat Evolved.

I couldn't give two shits about the Halo franchise as a whole but the first game was legitimately innovative and one of the better FPS's I've ever played. James Cameron's "Aliens" is one of my favorite movies ever and I loved how inspired the game was by the movie at the time. The space marines, the assault rifle with the ammo counter, the drop ships looking identical, etc.

Halo 2 and 3?

You were still fighting the same covenant aliens, using the same weapons, playing as the same Master Chief, and even the endings (escaping a crumbling planet/area via Warthog) were essentially the same if I recall correctly.

But hey...at least you could dual wield.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

Hated all 4 of the ones I tried on the MCC, no interest in 5.

Sure the MP looks ok but I detest online MP.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

ODST was great, Reach, fine, I don't love it but it is not CoD and it has one of the best FPS missions of all time in New Alexandria, didn't play 4, 5 is awesome so far. I love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@Blabadon said:

ODST was great, Reach, fine, I don't love it but it is not CoD and it has one of the best FPS missions of all time in New Alexandria, didn't play 4, 5 is awesome so far. I love it.

I can't agree with this more. ODST is one of the top Halos.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I agree. Halo 3 had the best multi-player of the bunch. Don't remember the single player much but I think it was adequate.

Reach blew ass. Halo 4 had a solid multi-player but lame single-player. Sounds like Halo 5 is the same thing.

I personally think I might be done with the franchise. If I had an X-Bone I would at least check out Halo 5. But even when I really enjoyed the multi-player of Halo 4, it just couldn't keep my attention the way Halo 3 did. I put wayyy too many hours into that muti-player....

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Been a Halo fan since the original Xbox. First 3 Halo games were innovated and added lots of great content. After that, MS cheapened the brand with numerous spinoffs. Reach moved the series into iron-sights Call of Duty territory. Halo 4 was a linear Doom-3 corridor shooter with a weak story and no real advancements in online multiplayer. Halo 5 is more of the same.

After Halo 3, has the Halo series evolved one bit (aside from having better graphics)?

halo 4 and halo 5 both evolved a lot. halo 5 is the best in the series in both MP and SP. halo 4 had the best SP IMO, but it failed at the MP due to (as people would say) COD-ing it. with the load outs and the ordinance system, it ruined what made halo so great. It still had grifball, swat, and some other good modes but BTB and slayer were ruined in halo 4. Halo 5 has improved on everything, BTB has been replaced with warzone which is amazing and much better, and the arena modes are back to balanced fast paced fun. They've listened and gave the fans what they wanted. Anyone who skips halo 5 is doing themselves a huge disservice.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drekula2

I just don't think IP's should be cheapened.

Star Wars shouldn't have made the prequel trilogy, Terminator should have stopped after 2, Indiana Jones should have stopped after 3.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Majority are claiming Halo 5 to be the best multiplayer Halo to date. Sounds good to me and seems they are on the rise once again. I like the innovations they brought to the gameplay in the latest installment. Too many games like Uncharted just continue to rehash things.

I liked you better when you were a sheep. >:(

legendary70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 legendary70
Member since 2008 • 86 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Well everyone is entitled to their opinions. I think Halo 4 is a great game....just as good as all the others in the series. IGN, gamspot, metacritic, etc have given Halo 5 either a 4/5 or 8-9 out of 10 for a reason. I myself out of 10 would rate it a good 9. It is an awesome game to say the least. IMHO of course!

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 drekula2

But, aside from graphical effects, did Halo 4 push the series into a new direction or add anything highly original to it?

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Story-wise I think the series started goofing things up as early as Halo 2. I've never liked the alliance with the Elites thing that happened in that game and having the Covenant speak in English was ridiculous. Gameplay-wise though every Halo I've played has been fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@ladyblue said:
@mesome713 said:

I liked you better when you were a sheep. >:(

I am, i wont be buying Xbox One or PS4, i refuse to pay a middle man for online service. I get better online service for free on PC, so ill be waiting on NX. I usually always buy Sony though anyway, just not this time. Will be first time ever i dont purchase a Sony console, "knock on wood."

legendary70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 legendary70

@drekula2 said:

But, aside from graphical effects, did Halo 4 push the series into a new direction or add anything highly original to it?

No. But for myself......i don't always put all my emphasis on a story line....dont get me wrong......a story line is very important to a game. BUT the gaming part of Halo 4 was enough for me. IMO!! LOL.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I lost touch with Halo when, during the second, the Covenant were speaking better English than ppl who teach English at Oxford University.

I was like..."this doesn't draw me in".

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wickerman777
@mr_huggles_dog said:

I lost touch with Halo when, during the second, the Covenant were speaking better English than ppl who teach English at Oxford University.

I was like..."this doesn't draw me in".

Yep, at that moment the Covenant became less like alien enemies to me and more like Muppets.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

343 is not Bungie. Halo won't be the same. But it sells so expect MS to milk it.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 drekula2

@legendary70 said:
@drekula2 said:

No. But for myself......i don't always put all my emphasis on a story line....dont get me wrong......a story line is very important to a game. BUT the gaming part of Halo 4 was enough for me. IMO!! LOL.

The storyline is only one facet of it. The gameplay itself is mostly the same. It's just about shooting enemies, walking to point A, using an elevator, shooting enemies and walking to point B.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

I don't see any point in using the "iron sights."

legendary70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 legendary70

@drekula2 said:
@legendary70 said:
@drekula2 said:

The storyline is only one facet of it. The gameplay itself is mostly the same. It's just about shooting enemies, walking to point A, using an elevator, shooting enemies and walking to point B.

If you stop and smell the roses (shooting games in general) they are all the same as you just explained. Think about it......all games have some sort of a lame story line and shooters are all about running around shooting enemies.....PERIOD. Destiny, Halo, GOW, COD, MW to name a few ALL have their own story......run and gun games.....all of them. But once again....I myself like to run and gun....that is what a first person shooter is all about!!! I will not lose any sleep over a lame story line. Carry On!!

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@drekula2 said:

I just don't think IP's should be cheapened.

Star Wars shouldn't have made the prequel trilogy, Terminator should have stopped after 2, Indiana Jones should have stopped after 3.

I believe Halo has always been known for it's multiplayer more than for campaign. Given the fact that many are claiming, and I myself think, that this is one of the best, if not the best, Halo multiplayer ever, how is the IP being cheapened. If anything, it's being enhanced.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

The games certainly have gotten worse. It's not just 343 either ODST was made by Bungie and that game was awful.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:
@Blabadon said:

I totally agree. That title gets so much unwarranted hate. Its the "cool jazz" of the franchise.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Haven't tried 5 yet, and I'm not feeling desperate to play it at the moment, so I'll pick it up next year on the cheap. I have a few friends on the X1 that have told me that they actually prefer TTK>>Halo 5 so I'm actually looking into that. I wasn't a Destiny fan, but it seems TTK has made a lot of changes that actually bring the game to life for a lot of people. (If anyone here has a thought on this, please let me know. I don't want to get burned on TTK like Destiny)

I personally think Halo peaked at 3. I think 3 was better than both 1 and 2 in story and level design. Just my opinion of course. Warzone does look like a cool mode and it's the main part of the game that interests me.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Imho its not HALOs fault that it feels worse than HALO 3. The issue imho is that FPS genre is saturated and as of now weve seen everything someone can imagine. Space shooters , horror shooters , graphics like no other shooters , arena shooters , MMORPG shooters ... you freaking name it.

Cool graphics in FPS genre became standard so theres no wow factor anymore in 90% of new FPS games , gameplay wise there is minimal evolution because of genres nature , X1 hardware ( all new consoles actually ) has really weak hardware in order to push massive scale battles in decent fps/resolutions and you get the grip.

There is a serious saturation when it comes to FPS genre imho so i wont blame HALO 5 developers for this flop rather than its really hard to really stand out in this era as something extraordinary when it comes to FPS games.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@drekula2: Did you play Halo 5 yet?

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wickerman777

@iambatman7986 said:

Haven't tried 5 yet, and I'm not feeling desperate to play it at the moment, so I'll pick it up next year on the cheap. I have a few friends on the X1 that have told me that they actually prefer TTK>>Halo 5 so I'm actually looking into that. I wasn't a Destiny fan, but it seems TTK has made a lot of changes that actually bring the game to life for a lot of people. (If anyone here has a thought on this, please let me know. I don't want to get burned on TTK like Destiny)

I personally think Halo peaked at 3. I think 3 was better than both 1 and 2 in story and level design. Just my opinion of course. Warzone does look like a cool mode and it's the main part of the game that interests me.

Halo 3 was good but the Cortana level is one of the worst Halo levels in the franchise's history. And I didn't like the absence of the Elites either but I guess they felt that kinda had to happen because of the stupid alliance that occurred in Halo 2. Overall it was good though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@iambatman7986 said:

Did you watch the Gamespot discussion on it? Im not sure how in depth it is, but Mike Mahardy and Eric Tay debate against each other on which is better, its pretty good and fair.

Which is Better: Halo 5 or Destiny? - The Lobby

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#33 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

It was a series that didn't need more games after the third, considering it was supposed to be the last.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Did you watch the Gamespot discussion on it? Im not sure how in depth it is, but Mike Mahardy and Eric Tay debate against each other on which is better, its pretty good and fair.

Which is Better: Halo 5 or Destiny? - The Lobby

I'm going to check that out now, thanks for he link.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

Eh, Halo 4 isn't as bad as people make it out to be in my opinion.

I had a load of fun in the campain and multiplayer.

Yeah agreed. I don't get the hate that the campaign especially gets... I really enjoyed the campaign. And it's a helluva lot better than the H5 campaign.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Don't let my avatar and sig fool you. I'm every bit as upset with the way Uncharted has been going.

whats wrong with Uncharted? The new new looks like it could be the best one yet.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Uh no, Halo 5 is back on form.

I don't think anything will ever top multiplayer from Halo 2 but Halo 5 comes damn close.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Reach had iron sites in the game? I thought that was a Halo 5 thing.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
@clone01 said:
@PonchoTaco said:
@Blabadon said:

I totally agree. That title gets so much unwarranted hate. Its the "cool jazz" of the franchise.

Really? I think it's easily the worst out of all games. The only good thing in the game was Firefight and they took that out. :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

>moved the series into call of duty territory

Neither Halo 5 nor Halo Reach played like Call of Duty or took things that were exclusive to Call of Duty. Halo 4? sure, with the addition of perks and loadouts the way they were, but that doesn't even apply to the other 2. Can't bring myself to care for a Halo campaign or a Halo story after the original game, but mp wise sure it never reached the highs of Halo 2, but if I'm being honest I hold that against even Halo 3. That BR spread was lame, BTB was straight up lag, the netcode on that game stunk, some of the worst maps in the series come from that game. It was Halo without the fun, Reach brought the fun back, but botched it with that stupid ass armor lock and some doo-doo maps. Forge World was butt ugly, but once those maps joined the rotation I had a blast playing Reach multiplayer.

Halo 4 was aids, but Halo 5 has been top notch gameplay wise. Mechanically it's strong, Warzone is a great addition to the game, team slayer doesn't have an irritating map so far. I don't care for any of the maps right now, but i'll take that over the maps I've hated in Halo 3, Reach, and 4. And we still have older playlists to be added, Forge, and a myriad of custom games options. Larger issue with the series is that it's an old series, without doing something remarkably different, it's hard to get all that excited when playing another one of these.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I'm pretty damn sure Halo 5 has the best multiplayer in the series?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Halo 5 is cool.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Halo 5 is cool.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I was a huge fan of Halo Reach and, eh, halo 4 was okay but it didn't captivate me as much as Reach did. ODST was okay as well

Of course Reach was the first halo game I actually ever owned myself (while Halo 1-3 was solely experienced at a friend's house), so Can't really give much of an opinion in regards to OP's main point.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@drekula2 said:

At least they added some new guns and enemies.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#46 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Cool. Disagree.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I loved ODST and Halo 4 so yes I think Halo has evolved. Both of those games showed a completely different side of the Halo universe and Halo 4 got you up close and personal with the chief and Cortana and did it in style.

Halo 5 campaign is literally all over the place but I wouldn't say the franchise in general went downhill just because Bungie left (which is quite clearly what the OP is implying).

usule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 usule
Member since 2003 • 1734 Posts

I'll beg to differ, loved halo 4 and even more so halo 5.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Halo 5 is better than any other Halo besides 2 to me. People that wax nostalgic about CE forget that it had no online and the story was also a copy from other games.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

It's a shame because this was the only decent console exclusive shooter. Now its shit.