There's something wrong with games these days

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I have a brand new fancy pc and I could play any game. For some reason I'm constantly drawn back to games like League of Legends. The masterpiece frontier titles like Witcher 3, Crysis 3 etc. just don't draw me in like games from the past. There's something about the overabundance of content in such a compressed manner that it feels like a chore sometimes to play through some games. So much content but the gameplay is so often fundamentally just not fun.

Somewhere along the line it feels like games forgot they were games and developers started focusing on everything but gameplay. Dragon age Origins was fun, the AI script system was a lot of fun to play with and innovative. Then by the time it got to Inquisition it was an on rails linear grind to play through because the gameplay was so stale. I've got 20 games sitting there waiting to be played but it's like a second job trying to get through most of them because the fun and innovative gameplay is few and far between.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 14992 Posts

While there are some awesome AAA games out there (Witcher, Starcraft, Deus Ex, Uncharted 4 etc) and it's not doom and gloom, I can see where you are coming from.

A lot of devs think that more = better or they know that their game will loose direction but cram unnecessary content into the game anyway because a lot of people fall for it.

Loading Video...

Unfortunately, I don't expect good discussion here and expect some people to tell you to stop whining.

In the end I'd say do more research, there are some really great games out there and some are in development. Don't just look at few handful of mega pubs that play it safe.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25601 Posts

You are complaining about no gameplay in new games, yet choose to play League instead.... Okay...

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@robokill said:

I have a brand new fancy pc and I could play any game. For some reason I'm constantly drawn back to games like League of Legends. The masterpiece frontier titles like Witcher 3, Crysis 3 etc. just don't draw me in like games from the past. There's something about the overabundance of content in such a compressed manner that it feels like a chore sometimes to play through some games. So much content but the gameplay is so often fundamentally just not fun.

Somewhere along the line it feels like games forgot they were games and developers started focusing on everything but gameplay. Dragon age Origins was fun, the AI script system was a lot of fun to play with and innovative. Then by the time it got to Inquisition it was an on rails linear grind to play through because the gameplay was so stale. I've got 20 games sitting there waiting to be played but it's like a second job trying to get through most of them because the fun and innovative gameplay is few and far between.

Problem here is that you're focused on a chunk of a market controlled by the handful of big publishers that as a whole encompass that "AAA" industry. This chunk plays it safe, is stale and won't appeal to anyone that's actively searching for something that's deeper than a puddle. Nothing offensive about this, it's just the nature of the beast. This market needs to appeal to a wide demographic to sustain itself.

I don't like to generalize, but I honestly see this happening every single time wen someone tells me they're bored of gaming, or they can't find anything to play, both on forums and in my entourage. From my personal experience and with no exception, they don't delve deeper.

I mean, look at your examples. Crysis 3 is the worst in the series in terms of just how same-y, creatively brand and formulaic it can be. And Dragon Age Origins, Inquisition? They're the definition of boring, with 0 creative stimulation and 0 inspiration or passion poured in its generic, mediocre writing, quest design and character script.

Of course you're not finding something to enjoy. I'd literally be in the same boat, if I weren't actively searching, and I do find some decent gems that warrant my free time.

Why don't you list those 20 games you're sitting on, which apparently you can't muster the attention to get through them. And then I will recommend you 20 games.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11376 Posts

Gameplay focused games are still in abundance. Unfortunately they arent generally as marketable.

I'm finding a great deal of brilliant, fun games in which the gameplay is the star.

-Souls games

-Street Fighter V

-Overwatch

-many Nintendo titles

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By robokill

@DragonfireXZ95: atleast it has functional multiplayer. NHL 16; permanent lag EA can't get servers to 1999 quality. Fifa 16. Nope nobody plays that. NBA 2k16? Friggin buggy headache over saturated in quantity with zero quality. Witcher 3, hundreds of hours of dialogue and exploring with the same damn boring combat from start to finish. Crysis 3, same boring enemy fights over and over again with.

League of Legends is fun, it has fully fleshed out leagues and rankings(that work properly), it meets modern standards of online functionality(you can actually play without lag, EA is the worst), you don't have to pay for it, there is no season pass, no rehashed assets sold as annual installments, no forced microtransactions. I don't play league of legends because it's my first choice, I play it by default. Other games aren't fun. NFL 2k4 was better in every way compared to todays standards. Atleast league of legends gets the minimum funcionality right and doesn't price gouge. Star Wars Battlefront is an embarrassment to gaming, most of the new games are an embarrassment. No Mans Sky doesn't even have 30 minutes of gameplay. Mine resources, shoot drone, fly, sell, upgrade, repeat. A fully priced game with little to no fun gameplay while chasing someone down in League of Legends is infinitely more fun. Not because league is so good but because other games are so bad. The industry is regressing to worse and worse gameplay. Starcraft 1 was way more fun than Starcraft 2. Same with Diablo 2 and Diablo 3. More quantity less quality.

@Lucianu said:
@robokill said:

Problem here is that you're focused on a chunk of a market controlled by the handful of big publishers that as a whole encompass that "AAA" industry. This chunk plays it safe, is stale and won't appeal to anyone that's actively searching for something that's deeper than a puddle. Nothing offensive about this, it's just the nature of the beast. This market needs to appeal to a wide demographic to sustain itself.

I don't like to generalize, but I honestly see this happening every single time wen someone tells me they're bored of gaming, or they can't find anything to play, both on forums and in my entourage. From my personal experience and with no exception, they don't delve deeper.

I mean, look at your examples. Crysis 3 is the worst in the series in terms of just how same-y, creatively brand and formulaic it can be. And Dragon Age Origins, Inquisition? They're the definition of boring, with 0 creative stimulation and 0 inspiration or passion poured in its generic, mediocre writing, quest design and character script.

Of course you're not finding something to enjoy. I'd literally be in the same boat, if I weren't actively searching, and I do find some decent gems that warrant my free time.

Why don't you list those 20 games you're sitting on, which apparently you can't muster the attention to get through them. And then I will recommend you 20 games.

Some games; Fallout 4, Crysis 3, Witcher 3, Star Wars Battlefront, NHL 16, Fifa 16, the 2 newest Need For Speed games, Dark Souls 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, No Mans Sky, Rocket League. I was able to finish Arkham Knight because I really like Batman but even that was tough. The repetitive tank battles were like pulling teeth. This started back on the Wii even. Twilight Princess introduced those repetitive grinding chokepoints. When that game came out to good reviews I became concerned because it forces players into the same exact box over and over again for hours to kill the same low risk enemies in the same wave pattern over and over again. It's just unacceptable.

When I played NFL 2k4 the online bracket system worked better than everything but League of Legends today. Somehow the whole industry is regressing for the major releases to enforcing grinding rehashed assets in linear boxes with poor online functionality and greedy cash grabs. I mean... just look at Fallout 4's animation. Half-life 1 had better animations. It's just unbelievable.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 17374 Posts

Sounds like you just need to do your homework.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By robokill

Well what are you guys playing then? If I'm missing fun gameplay somewhere let me know. Mario on NES was more fun than 99% of games today. It takes 20 minutes of staring at loading screens, going through multiple menus and watching multiple pointless videos to get to the tutorial in Need For Speed, that's despicable. I didn't even get to play the damn game I put it down in disgust before I drove a single car. Blatant obvious padding of time to stall. I'm not going to sit there waiting half an hour to drive a car pressing the buttons pissed off they force you to watch cutscenes. There shouldn't be more waiting than playing in video games. NHL 16 was the worst for this, more than half the game is waiting in menus if you want to play online. Half-Life 1 you are playing 30 seconds after turning on the game, NFL 2k4 was 95% gameplay to 5% menus. The last 4 games from Dice were all rehashed assets with netcode that is worse than the original counter strike.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10 phbz
Member since 2009 • 4721 Posts

You lost me at League of legends.

Funk21312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Funk21312
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

Yes, this is the case with a lot of hermits, they spend loads of money on hardware but only play games like Civ and League of Legends. It's a shame really and I hope that Star Citizen ends up being a great game that justifies high end PC gaming.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DragonfireXZ95

@robokill: League is the definition of repetitive, and yet you call Batman, a game that switches between multiple game modes, such as brawling combat, stealth, detective and vehicle sections, repetitive?

You can not like new games, but you can't call them repetitive and then claim that leagues is not repetitive. That is just not something you can do without sounding like an incoherent dribbler.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By robokill

I didn't spend much money actually, bought a bunch of 75% off deals on pcpartpicker so there's no buyers remorse or rationalizing. I just want to sit down and have fun for half an hour playing a game, I stress playing. Not sitting staring at forced cutscenes, not watching, not looking at menus, not listening to dialogue, not being forced to walk at minimum speed down linear corridors, not shooting the same enemy in the face over and over again. How Destiny got good reviews is mindblowing, you literally do the exact same thing over and over. Unreal Tournament in high school was more fun. It was challenging with variety and frantic gameplay. Destiny is a loot grind.... wooh, fun! Halo 1 I could play the multiplayer for days, you couldn't pay me to play Destiny.

@DragonfireXZ95: but it's not that repetitive compared to most games. The character customization is complex and I've created multiple builds that are unique and destroy the competition. The balance in the mechanics works such that intelligence and adaptability provide for varied gameplay. The idea of repetitively killing mobs and lane fighting isn't the reality, I run around all over the map teleporting and sneaking up on opponents. Flying out of nowhere in team fights to save the day, change the course of battle, save my teammates, stun the enemies, when they all engage I retreat then my teammates attack, then I'll attack flank quickly and we'll destroy them all in one fell swoop. I don't jungle and I don't attack mobs because I don't want to and the game allows for that. Varied strategies and gameplay not possible in other games today. Maybe I'll heal this round, maybe I'll carry, maybe I'll be an assassin, maybe I'll be an initiator. This all possible with 1 single character in the game in 1 round, there are thousands of play styles and hundreds of abilities to experiment with. Item sets, runes, spells all allow for varied strategy. The meta game is constantly changing and there is no one repetitive dominant strategy.

I get why you think it's dumb, I'd rather play NHL 16 but you can't even play that game without lag and the programming is so terrible there are numerous glitches and exploits. It gets worse each year. You can't even make a straight pass to your teammate, the programmers are increasing quantity/complexity while the quality of that content continually decreases. Each year they try to push the players more and more into HUT where it's microtransaction pay to win in a fully priced annual cycle retail game that costs money to pay for psn+ to play. 3 levels of cash grabbing nonsense. It's effecting the entire industry. Assassins Creed 1 and 2 were lightyears ahead of the new releases. It happened to Bioware as well. From prolific legendary status to a joke. Daggerfall and Morrowind were near masterpieces, Skyrim makes me sad. Fallout 2 was the impetus for hundreds of game, Fallout 4 is just pathetic. I can't think of many studios that are increasing in quality and fun gameplay over the years.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5430 Posts

That's what happens when every game company tries to appeal to everyone. You get games NOBODY likes, but everyone buys since there is nothing else to play that is worth a damn. The sad fact of the industry is that the middle game was pushed aside (they just can't keep up with costs.. or so they say) and the "appeal to the masses" games are everywhere these days. I would MUCH rather have a game that does one thing GREAT than 10 things average or worse. Games have all taken the GTA approach. Jack of all trades and master of none. If the publishers can't drain every penny out of a game they wont make it these days. I fear the good days of gaming died right when they had began. Hopefully another console maker jumps into the race and pushes the middle game. THAT is what the industry really needs. It's like there is no "middle class" of gaming anymore, and THOSE were the best games. You have fly by night indies and blockbuster, super, mega, games that appeal to the masses... but are always shallow and lame.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

@robokill: Get a 3DS.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 127

#16 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 10767 Posts

@phbz said:

You lost me at League of legends.

Pretty much.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 17374 Posts

@robokill:

Off the top of my head, you should play:

- Doom 2016. (On PC)

- Bayonetta 2. (WiiU is your only option)

- Bloodborne or any Souls game. (On PC besides Bloodborne unfortunately)

- Shovel Knight. (Play this on whatever)

These are relatively current games, they're all about the gameplay, they excel at said gameplay, and they don't fucking waste your time.

Doom, Bayo, and Shovel Knight can all be beaten in a weekend, but are very much replayable. Of course Soulsborne games are lengthy, but they're not padded the **** out, they're just big games.

I can think of plenty more, but those are a solid start and some of my favorites this gen. I'm like you man, I can't fucking stand watching cutscenes, lengthy tutorials, info dumps, etc.. I like to get straight into the game.

Which brings me to another game.

- MGSV.

It's front loaded with one of the worst first hours of a game in recent memory. Cinematic limited play nonsense. After that? You're dumped into a stealth/action infiltration sandbox with some of the most solid gameplay this generation has seen and so many damn tools and options that you could play the game for over 200 hours and still find new ways to do shit.

I'd say try Ground Zeroes first because it's cheap as **** and is a great demo for how MGSV plays.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

League of Legends is a great game, but it can be a God damn nightmare wen you're in a match with shitty team mates, because a match can take a God awful amount of time.

It's cool wen you make a mistake, because you can learn, adapt and change your playstyle so you play better. I loved that about the game. I used to re-watch matches that I lost, and I usually understood my mistakes upon closer inspection. I was careful about not repeating them, and I could see some great results.

But I had to quit on LoL because going on a losing streak because of other people was causing a total waste of my time.

@robokill said:

@DragonfireXZ95: atleast it has functional multiplayer. NHL 16; permanent lag EA can't get servers to 1999 quality. Fifa 16. Nope nobody plays that. NBA 2k16? Friggin buggy headache over saturated in quantity with zero quality. Witcher 3, hundreds of hours of dialogue and exploring with the same damn boring combat from start to finish. Crysis 3, same boring enemy fights over and over again with.

League of Legends is fun, it has fully fleshed out leagues and rankings(that work properly), it meets modern standards of online functionality(you can actually play without lag, EA is the worst), you don't have to pay for it, there is no season pass, no rehashed assets sold as annual installments, no forced microtransactions. I don't play league of legends because it's my first choice, I play it by default. Other games aren't fun. NFL 2k4 was better in every way compared to todays standards. Atleast league of legends gets the minimum funcionality right and doesn't price gouge. Star Wars Battlefront is an embarrassment to gaming, most of the new games are an embarrassment. No Mans Sky doesn't even have 30 minutes of gameplay. Mine resources, shoot drone, fly, sell, upgrade, repeat. A fully priced game with little to no fun gameplay while chasing someone down in League of Legends is infinitely more fun. Not because league is so good but because other games are so bad. The industry is regressing to worse and worse gameplay. Starcraft 1 was way more fun than Starcraft 2. Same with Diablo 2 and Diablo 3. More quantity less quality.

@Lucianu said:
@robokill said:

Some games; Fallout 4, Crysis 3, Witcher 3, Star Wars Battlefront, NHL 16, Fifa 16, the 2 newest Need For Speed games, Dark Souls 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, No Mans Sky, Rocket League. I was able to finish Arkham Knight because I really like Batman but even that was tough. The repetitive tank battles were like pulling teeth. This started back on the Wii even. Twilight Princess introduced those repetitive grinding chokepoints. When that game came out to good reviews I became concerned because it forces players into the same exact box over and over again for hours to kill the same low risk enemies in the same wave pattern over and over again. It's just unacceptable.

When I played NFL 2k4 the online bracket system worked better than everything but League of Legends today. Somehow the whole industry is regressing for the major releases to enforcing grinding rehashed assets in linear boxes with poor online functionality and greedy cash grabs. I mean... just look at Fallout 4's animation. Half-life 1 had better animations. It's just unbelievable.

No Man's Sky? Fallout 4? Judging by your original post and your thoughts on this matter, i'd wager that those two repetitious pieces of creatively bankrupt games are going to affect you to the point of quitting on your hobby. Honestly, wen you're deciding on what to spend your, assumingly precious (at least in my case it is), free time, i'd suggest careful research before a purchase.

You probably won't like my favorite picks, because they're hard and mechanically deep, which obviously means that there's a learning curve. Basically meaning that to get to that sweet, smooth cream in the core, you'll need to dredge through a layer of adaptation, learning and patience.

It's something new, so you'll need patience to learn to be good. Most people invested in this hobby and completely swallowed by the "AAA" industry have 0 leniency to something that they're not used to (this is where 96% of all people that complain a game "does not age well" come from, lol, most of that is genuinely bullshit dismissal)

They don't get out of their comfort zone, they play the same shit, and wen they try something new (by definition, something that you need to learn), they quit because they don't have the patience. Then they wonder why they got bored of video games, lmao. (no talking about you, just in general)

But hell, i'll throw some recommendations tomorrow wen I've got more time, so I can go in detail. Maybe you'll find something that sticks with you.

Snowywonders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Snowywonders
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Yup, I agree, gotta do your homework and more importantly, know what you like.

For example, TC, Some critically acclaimed games, like bloodborne or darksouls , I don't like at all. Many don't like The Witcher 3 either despite being the most (or second?) awarded game ever. AAA and good scores does not mean you will like the game.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10930 Posts

@robokill Look deeper and past the AAA multi-platform market, especially into genres that just don't work as well on consoles, like top down RPG's, 4x Strategy, RTS, God games etc. There are a wealth of great games out there, some will push your CPU rather than your GPU but there are others like Total War: Warhammer that can still give a GTX 1080 a work out.

@funk21312 said:

Yes, this is the case with a lot of hermits, they spend loads of money on hardware but only play games like Civ and League of Legends. It's a shame really and I hope that Star Citizen ends up being a great game that justifies high end PC gaming.

Your post is so far off the mark that all you're doing is demonstrating your ignorance of what PC gaming is. Sure we get the option to have big powerful gaming rigs that give the best graphics, highest resolutions and fastest frame rates but those things are icing and you don't need to have icing for a cake to be delicious. You also, quite obviously, have no idea just how hard modern games can push hardware.

Posting from a position of ignorance just makes you look ignorant and allows others to laugh at you, even if you're trolling don't make yourself out to be imbecilic.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By robokill

@Lucianu: I have nothing against deep mechanics. I have something against deep mechanics with a lot of downtime and waiting. Eve Online is incredibly deep with hours and hours between the exciting gameplay. I have nothing against difficulty as long as the downtime and waiting doesn't outweigh the gameplay.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 36903 Posts

@robokill said:

Wow, I found the combat of Dragon Age Origins to be absolute Sperm Whale Dung. Its boring shit. Nothing, I mean NOTHING goes against every fiber of my natural human instincts like turn based or whatever that combat is classified as. Combat is training made reflex and skill. That shit sucked the DICK.

Have fun, play old games.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2918 Posts

I wouldn't really sweat it to be honest, I'm playing games on my PC that my Vita has versions of.

But I loved the Witcher and I played the shit out of it on my PC, but it's not everyone's taste.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5389 Posts

Oh god not this stupid shit again. Games aren't as good as they used to be, no gameplay, League of Legends...wtf? Lol, thread failure.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 4595 Posts

If you tell people modern games bore you and ask for suggestions most people will say games like Witcher 3 which you hate. My point is, you know what games you like, we don't, do a bit of research. Read reviews and play games you like the sound of, nobody can recommend games that will solve your problem.

I kind of know what you mean about open world games having tons of filler content. They try too hard to be everything to everyone and firmly believe bigger is always better (it isn't). I have found the key to playing these games, specially open world RPG's, is to play the content you enjoy. You really don't have to do everything that's why people burn out on these things. They think they have to do every fetch quest and collect every collectable. Play the parts you like it will always still be more than enough for you to get skilled up to finish whatever campaign you're playing. Fallout 4 is a good example of this, you can skip entire factions and still finish the game, maybe check that one out if you haven't yet.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35595 Posts

Depends.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 4627 Posts

Hahaha , LOL

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DragonfireXZ95

@cainetao11 said:
@robokill said:

Wow, I found the combat of Dragon Age Origins to be absolute Sperm Whale Dung. Its boring shit. Nothing, I mean NOTHING goes against every fiber of my natural human instincts like turn based or whatever that combat is classified as. Combat is training made reflex and skill. That shit sucked the DICK.

Have fun, play old games.

I didn't mind it at the time, but after we got this slew of games that use real time combat with some reflex and a bit of strategy involved(not just mash, mash, mash like Fable), I started getting real tired of the MMO auto attack crap.

Turn based I still don't mind too much, but that auto attack and mashing stuff is garbage.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#29 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 36903 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: I'll still take Mash over turn based any day. I do not, never have, will never wait to let my opponent have a turn at hitting me in anything. Its baby shit

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 5396 Posts

There are still good games out there, but just don't expect them from the AAA publishers (besides Nintendo). The middle market and Indie games are putting out more gameplay oriented titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

While there are some awesome AAA games out there (Witcher, Starcraft, Deus Ex, Uncharted 4 etc) and it's not doom and gloom, I can see where you are coming from.

A lot of devs think that more = better or they know that their game will loose direction but cram unnecessary content into the game anyway because a lot of people fall for it.

Loading Video...

Unfortunately, I don't expect good discussion here and expect some people to tell you to stop whining.

In the end I'd say do more research, there are some really great games out there and some are in development. Don't just look at few handful of mega pubs that play it safe.

This needs to be stickied.

This is the reason I barely get excited about big AAA games (mostly console ones) ... Uncharted? no tention, no nothing... just breeze through the game (but but HARD MODE .. oh yea... auto aim bullets amazing..).. the batman games... it mirrors my thoughts exactly.

Not sure what people see in Dishounred ... I did a "no kill, stealth completion" ... was tacky compared to Thief (same with games like elder scrolls... the modern ones at least)...

These games are mindless. same with Call of Duty ...

As more time passes though, this will be forgotten and you'l have the the teens here praising modern crap without ever having seen anything prior.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I agree.

Lots of times, developers simply cram excess bs into their games to prop up the amount of gameplay hours it'll take to complete a game because lots of consumers equate that with value. To many people, 50 hours of mindless side questing and dialogue with shit gameplay is worth more money than 5-10 hours of awesome gameplay start to finish.

And then there's also the overabundance of games that are pure spectacle, but fall flat to any scrutiny of their actual gameplay depth. Most of the big-budget blockbusters fit into this category. This category often overlaps with the first one I mentioned above.

You just have to look for games outside of this realm to satisfy your cravings. You've got a PC, so you luckily have the right system for the task.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

This is like a fresh coat of paint on an old topic. We get it everyone, you hate most games nowadays. Wait till tomorrow and we'll see another thread about how shitty this gen is, or how games lack fun and creativity now, or how back then everything was so much better... Blah blah blah.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blueinheaven

Thief? lol. Hilarious to see people holding up a game that encourages you to completely avoid everything in the game as an example of great gameplay. Seriously just fucking LOL!

Next Top Tip from Cloud and Birdbrain: for maximum fun turn your games system off and hide in the corner.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I know what you mean and that is one of the reasons I have so many unfinished games in my backlog. I love having tons of content and things to do.....value for my money, but I also like a clear, focused experience overall. It's a delicate balance and some devs do it well, others don't. Although I should say I really enjoyed Witcher 3, but I do understand the gist of what you are saying.

You may want to consider the whole side quest scenario. Just because you have 30 side quests available, it doesn't mean you need to do them all. You can tailor your adventures to suit you better that way. Game producers have a really tough job I think, because they are often in a position where they have to please numerous parties at the same time. Overall it's not a big issue for me but it was a little bit last year and my backlog suffered a little because of it. Rock solid gameplay should be top priority, no point in having tons of mediocre content.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cloud_imperium

@blueinheaven said:

Thief? lol. Hilarious to see people holding up a game that encourages you to completely avoid everything in the game as an example of great gameplay. Seriously just fucking LOL!

Next Top Tip from Cloud and Birdbrain: for maximum fun turn your games system off and hide in the corner.

You sound butthurt. Take it like a man and contribute something to the discussion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29732 Posts

Sounds like a Personal Problem.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blueinheaven

@Cloud_imperium said:
@blueinheaven said:

You sound butthurt. Take it like a man and contribute something to the discussion.

What could I possibly be butthurt about? I have contributed plenty (scroll up, read something else other than your own drivel) I am making the point that an ancient avoid 'em up in the context of this discussion is ludicrous. No doubt you will randomly list loads of random PC games in reply because bizarrely, you seem completely incapable of anything else.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@robokill: There is nothing wrong with games. You just have a preference...

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cloud_imperium

@blueinheaven said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@blueinheaven said:

What could I possibly be butthurt about? I have contributed plenty (scroll up, read something else other than your own drivel) I am making the point that an ancient avoid 'em up in the context of this discussion is ludicrous. No doubt you will randomly list loads of random PC games in reply because bizarrely, you seem completely incapable of anything else.

Who's name calling here exactly? If you can't handle an opinion then stop visiting threads. You sound like a man child. Grow up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

... your trolling right? I just have to be sure....

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 2881 Posts

Thief. While I enjoyed them back in the day, there is not much to them. Most of each map is a linear path within a large box. The box is mostly empty, devoid of trees, low on objects or anything to do other than to walk through and occasionally find a hidden water arrow or something. Most of the maps contain only 2 or 3 possible entrances where one (the front door) is obviously the stupid path. The open windows are way too obvious btw. The rooms are mostly empty of any gameplay minus a few scattered guards and coins/ gold candle holders and maybe a letter the tells you that someone hid some gold in a room you'd probably find anyway or something stupid like that. Tomb Raider switches..yes, he overly large switches that are placed in stupid areas. Why would you place a switch up towards the ceiling or attic that opens your bathroom door for example? You wouldn't...it's stupid. Placed only to make the player do something. Just a large switch, up high soewhere, in a corner or little nook in the wall...wtf?

You stalk in some shadows, bump off some guards or you can just run behind them and the Ai is so low to react that you can bump them off anyway much faster.....that's not really much for gameplay and is generally a poor example. The Ai sucks, it's very old. The graphics suck, very out dated. The controls suck, antiquated....great game back in the day but it's a horrible comparison to today's. That goes for many old school games. Nostalgia > common sense.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blueinheaven

@Cloud_imperium said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@blueinheaven said:

Who's name calling here exactly? If you can't handle an opinion then stop visiting threads. You sound like a man child. Grow up.

What name did I call you? I asked a simple question, what should I be butthurt about? Answer the question or STFU.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cloud_imperium

@blueinheaven said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@blueinheaven said:

What name did I call you? I asked a simple question, what should I be butthurt about? Answer the question or STFU.

Yeah sure buddy. It's not like you are known for useless posts. Please carry on.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By blueinheaven

@MBirdy88 said:
@blueinheaven said:

... your trolling right? I just have to be sure....

I have played most (not quite all) PC games that are regarded as seminal, including Thief. I almost lost the will to live it was so boring. It wasn't difficult, it was easy to work out what the devs wanted you to do, but it was fucking boring.

You disagree, obviously, but to hold it up as some great example of excellent gameplay from 'the old days' is just fucking hilarious. Deus Ex (original) maybe, or Ultima VII, even Age of Empires 2 but fucking Thief? lol.

My opinion, call it trolling if it makes your life easier.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By blueinheaven

@Cloud_imperium said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@blueinheaven said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Yeah sure buddy. It's not like you are known for useless posts. Please carry on.

What should I be butthurt about? You don't know, do you? Don't worry bro, list some PC games and everything will be just fine and dandy.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6635 Posts

@robokill: I know where you are coming from. A lot of games these days are open world, with a ton of MMO/RPG elements mixed in. Some of the games are amazing, however some of them throw stuff in for the sake of it, which in the end adds zero value to the experience. Developers are taking the MMORPG approach more often than not, why? Because it keeps the gamer playing their game for an extended period of time and like what first person shooters where in 2007-2009 the sandbox style of game has taken over as the defacto game to play. That doesn't mean that is all there is, but more of the AAA games are like this and will continue to do so until something else comes along that pulls people back from that genre. They can also control the content as far as where you can go, what you can do, and how far you can go.

I like the style of games that have come out and will continue to come out. There is usually an insane amount of detail put into the world you are playing in, the customization that can be done with your character is usually done well and being able to jump in the same world with your friends or other players to complete missions or community goals make the experience that much more enjoyable. **Disclaimer: Only when this stuff is implemented well does it fit the criteria of enjoyable.** The linear experience or a game that you can jump in for an hour so each day and move on to something else are few, far, and in between. There are many indie games out there that are like this and are fun as hell, but with the PC hardware and the consoles currently at where they are, bigger games with a ton of content whether it fits well or not will continue to be the way that the industry goes.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18494 Posts

@robokill: I honestly could not agree more... Even though I had fun with inquisition. You hit it right on the head with games in the present day.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I think you are reflecting on the idea (which has been around for a while, but is maybe only just being recognised in some quarters) that improving graphics alone isn't enough to create unique and addictive gameplay experiences. Gameplay design really does have to come first, with graphics being something that many people these days take for granted as part of the overall experience/production value.

My computer isn't massively powerful (iMac with 16GB RAM), but I can run some of the more hardware-taxing games. And yet, I find myself constantly going back to games like Civilization V or Cities Skylines because their design is just so fundamentally great for a PC format. They're addictive, deep games that encourage creativity.