Theory: How is kart racing being the most popular sub-genre of racing games?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

Dear gamers in the System Wars board.

For those who wonder why kart racers like Mario Kart makes this sub-genre to become the most popular for the racing genre? so here is my theory.

The target audience differences:

  • Kart racing:
    • Any kind of gamers who want to have fun in gaming.
    • Preferring go-karts over any kind of cars.
    • Preferring to have short cuts and combat racing.
    • Both males and females can enjoy it.
    • Meant for all ages.
    • Not necessary to love cars, motorsports, and racing games.
    • No skills required from other sub-genre of racing games.
  • Realistic-looking car games:
    • For car lovers who prefer to have realistic performance cars rather than cartoony go-karts.
    • Most realistic-looking car game fans are pretty much males.
    • Currently, most sim racing fans' age groups range from 13 to 50.
    • Meanwhile, Arcade-style realistic-car games are meant to any ages to play.
    • Sim racing requiring more skills compared to any other sub-genre of racing games (Due to harder controls when turned off driving assists).
    • Preferring to have pure racing or realistic driving physics.
Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

22226

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22226 Posts

you are right.

but what have you proven? that most people prefer mario kart over granturismo/forza?

i think that is the opposite of what you want to prove.

the only thing you can try to make a point with is that sim racing takes more skill. but i think kart lovers will debate you and you will never win that arguement.

so now youve proven kart racing is more popular than sim racing....now what. you buy some ice cream and be sad?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

You are right.

But what have you proven? that most people prefer Mario kart over Gran Turismo/Forza?

I think that is the opposite of what you want to prove.

The only thing you can try to make a point with is that sim racing takes more skill, but I think kart lovers will debate you and you will never win that argument.

So now you've proven kart racing is more popular than sim racing....now what, you buy some ice cream and be sad?

Nope, I wouldn't get upset.

Simply I just don't care which one is more popular. Unlike you, I just want to enjoy whatever I want, while you prefer popularity lol.

Edit: I can tell you're still mad towards me since I prefer realistic car games lol.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

22226

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#5 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22226 Posts

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@KBFloYd said:

You are right.

But what have you proven? that most people prefer Mario kart over Gran Turismo/Forza?

I think that is the opposite of what you want to prove.

The only thing you can try to make a point with is that sim racing takes more skill, but I think kart lovers will debate you and you will never win that argument.

So now you've proven kart racing is more popular than sim racing....now what, you buy some ice cream and be sad?

Nope, I wouldn't get upset.

Simply I just don't care which one is more popular. Unlike you, I just want to enjoy whatever I want, while you prefer popularity lol.

Edit: I can tell you're still mad towards me since I prefer realistic car games lol.

how can i be mad? i am on the winning side (popularity and sales)

😎

Avatar image for Zidaneski
Zidaneski

8943

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6 Zidaneski  Online
Member since 2003 • 8943 Posts

I miss Blur.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#7 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@KBFloYd said:

You are right.

But what have you proven? that most people prefer Mario kart over Gran Turismo/Forza?

I think that is the opposite of what you want to prove.

The only thing you can try to make a point with is that sim racing takes more skill, but I think kart lovers will debate you and you will never win that argument.

So now you've proven kart racing is more popular than sim racing....now what, you buy some ice cream and be sad?

Nope, I wouldn't get upset.

Simply I just don't care which one is more popular. Unlike you, I just want to enjoy whatever I want, while you prefer popularity lol.

Edit: I can tell you're still mad towards me since I prefer realistic car games lol.

How can I be mad? I am on the winning side (popularity and sales)

😎

I never said Mario Kart was lagging behind other racing series lol.

I was saying that I prefer realistic car games over kart racers in general lolz.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@Zidaneski said:

I miss Blur.

Me too, Blur has an awesome roster of realistic licensed cars ranging from Audi R8, Ford GT, etc.

I hate Activision for closing down Bizarre Creations (Studio behind Project Gotham Racing and Blur) back in 2011 just like how Sony closed down Evolution Studios back in 2016.

Edit: Forza Horizon series is pretty much a spiritual successor to Project Gotham Racing series while DiRT 5 appears to be a spiritual successor to MotorStorm. Also, I'm glad that Evolution Studios gets merged with Codemasters and Slightly Mad Studios.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

36914

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36914 Posts

Mario Kart can still be quite hard, for instance it can lead to some rage moments, seems when you're in the lead you are getting constantly attacked by every special attack and get nothing but bananas to fight back, once you get hit you go from first to last after everyone runs a train of attacks on you.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#10 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Mario Kart can still be quite hard, for instance it can lead to some rage moments, seems when you're in the lead you are getting constantly attacked by every special attack and get nothing but bananas to fight back, once you get hit you go from first to last after everyone runs a train of attacks on you.

It's true to those who are inexperienced with kart racers.

Mario Kart 8 is too easy for me on 200cc cup with claiming all 3 stars for each cup since I learned to drift while tapping brake ages ago.

Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

15809

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 15809 Posts

Mario Kart is also extremely bright and flashy, which adds a lot of appeal to it.

Also the ammount of feedback Mario Kart and similar Kart Racers provides.

And the chaos Kart Racers have give them a good ammount of replay value, while traditional racers are more about execution.

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@lamprey263 said:

Mario Kart can still be quite hard, for instance it can lead to some rage moments, seems when you're in the lead you are getting constantly attacked by every special attack and get nothing but bananas to fight back, once you get hit you go from first to last after everyone runs a train of attacks on you.

It's true to those who are inexperienced with kart racers.

Mario Kart 8 is too easy for me on 200cc cup with claiming all 3 stars for each cup since I learned to drift while tapping brake ages ago.

I think he was talking about online :P

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Mario Kart is also extremely bright and flashy, which adds a lot of appeal to it.

Also, the amount of feedback Mario Kart and similar Kart Racers provides.

And the chaos Kart Racers have given them a good amount of replay value, while traditional racers are more about execution.

Most cartoony kart racers are meant to look bright & flashy with pick up items to take advantage which is correct plus this is the culture of kart racers are meant to be.

Avatar image for FinalFighters
FinalFighters

3366

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3366 Posts

@Zidaneski said:

I miss Blur.

i miss Split/second

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#14 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@FinalFighters said:
@Zidaneski said:

I miss Blur.

i miss Split/second

I liked Split/Second too.

But I still prefer Blur over Split/Second because of the roaster of cars & tracks and driving physics.

Avatar image for EG101
EG101

2090

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2090 Posts

More children play video games than adults so there is your difference right there.

Majority of GT and Forza players are going to be adults or near adults while Kart racers will appeal to all the children and even some adults.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

3447

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 3447 Posts

I could have sworn in the past week you've made a ton of threads about kart racing games.

Do you go to bed at night dreaming of kart racing games?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#17 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@EG101 said:

More children play video games than adults so there is your difference right there.

Majority of GT and Forza players are going to be adults or near adults while Kart racers will appeal to all the children and even some adults.

Very true.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@jaydan said:

I could have sworn in the past week you've made a ton of threads about kart racing games.

Do you go to bed at night dreaming of kart racing games?

Cause it's system wars and I'm here to troll on kart racers.

Avatar image for sonic_spark
sonic_spark

5733

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#20 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5733 Posts

It's easy. Accessibility and wider appeal goes to Mario Kart. Racing sims are niche.

As much as I love/obsessed with cars, I never was into racing sims. Maybe the only time I was "into" them was when I was young and Cruisin' USA came out and had 3D models of cars. The same would be true when I saw Gran Turismo 1 and then 2, as well as seeing Project Gotham. Just being able to poke around the 3D models and drive dream cars was neat.

As an adult, long ago, "that feeling" of surprise, wonder, and being in awe of polygons has disappeared. Also, I've been driving for years the neatness of seeing 3D models goes away when nowadays I'll just drive over to the dealership or to an autoshow and check'em out, test drive, etc.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

12010

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 141

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 12010 Posts

I was never huge into kart games, but I remember playing this back in the day on PC....

Loading Video...

My favourite racing game back then was Top Gear 2.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@BassMan said:

I was never huge into kart games, but I remember playing this back in the day on PC....

Loading Video...

Kart racing is a lousy sub-genre of racing games IMO.

Edit: Sheep will never accept the fact that sim racing is the most complicated sub-genre of racing games of all time, they will rage at me plus they will rudely bash on sim racing fans too.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#23 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@BassMan: Oh, for Top Gear series for SNES, it's a fun arcade racer and I do have Horizon Chase Turbo (Top Gear SNES tribute game) on Nintendo Switch which is a good game though.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

12010

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 141

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 12010 Posts
@mclarenmaster18 said:

@BassMan: Oh, for Top Gear series for SNES, it's a fun arcade racer and I do have Horizon Chase Turbo (Top Gear SNES tribute game) on Nintendo Switch which is a good game though.

Ahhh... the shit we used to play back in the day when there was nothing else better. I used to love Super Sprint, Super Chase HQ, Rad Racer, R.C. Pro-Am, Outrun, Super Off-road, Micro Machines, Al Unser Jr. Racing, Pole Position, Test Drive, Hard Drivin'. Classic stuff :)

Now I mostly play the sim racers like Asseto Corsa, Projects Cars, Forza, Gran Turismo, Dirt, etc.. I don't play many arcade racers, but I really liked the mix of sim and arcade in PGR. Those were great games. I no longer have heart for games like Ridge Racer, Daytona, Cruisin USA, SF Rush, Burnout, Super GT, etc.. I did enjoy them back then though until Need For Speed on 3DO and Gran Turismo came out and then I mostly wanted to play games with real cars.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#25 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@BassMan said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

@BassMan: Oh, for Top Gear series for SNES, it's a fun arcade racer and I do have Horizon Chase Turbo (Top Gear SNES tribute game) on Nintendo Switch which is a good game though.

Ahhh... the shit we used to play back in the day when there was nothing else better. I used to love Super Sprint, Super Chase HQ, Rad Racer, R.C. Pro-Am, Outrun, Super Off-road, Micro Machines, Al Unser Jr. Racing, Pole Position, Test Drive, Hard Drivin'. Classic stuff :)

Now I mostly play the sim racers like Assetto Corsa, Projects Cars, Forza, Gran Turismo, Dirt, etc.. I don't play many arcade racers, but I really liked the mix of sim and arcade in PGR. Those were great games. I no longer have heart for games like Ridge Racer, Daytona, Cruisin USA, SF Rush, Burnout, Super GT, etc.. I did enjoy them back then though until Need For Speed on 3DO and Gran Turismo came out and then I mostly wanted to play games with real cars.

I like your choices for racing games.

Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

15809

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 15809 Posts

@mclarenmaster18 said:

Kart racing is a lousy sub-genre of racing games IMO.

Edit: Sheep will never accept the fact that sim racing is the most complicated sub-genre of racing games of all time, they will rage at me plus they will rudely bash on sim racing fans too.

I don't think anyone is in denial that Kart Racers are nowhere near as technical as racing sims. Kart Racers are extremely abstract.

Fake Edit: Fixed a horribly embarrassing typo.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#27 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

Kart racing is a lousy sub-genre of racing games IMO.

Edit: Sheep will never accept the fact that sim racing is the most complicated sub-genre of racing games of all time, they will rage at me plus they will rudely bash on sim racing fans too.

I don't think anyone is in denial that Kart Racers are nowhere near as technical as racing sims. Kart Racers are extremely abstract.

Fake Edit: Fixed a horribly embarrassing typo.

I was just trolling lol and it's my opinion too.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

25948

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25948 Posts

@mclarenmaster18 said:

Edit: Sheep will never accept the fact that sim racing is the most complicated sub-genre of racing games of all time, they will rage at me plus they will rudely bash on sim racing fans too.

lol.

I think sheep will just continue playing their party game and continue not giving any sort of shit for sim racers. It's like you're looking for trouble where there's none.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3055

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#29 mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3055 Posts

@Litchie said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:

Edit: Sheep will never accept the fact that sim racing is the most complicated sub-genre of racing games of all time, they will rage at me plus they will rudely bash on sim racing fans too.

lol.

I think sheep will just continue playing their party game and continue not giving any sort of shit for sim racers. It's like you're looking for trouble where there's none.

Yep, I know everyone wants to play want ever they want lol.