The Xbox: the Successor of the Sega Dreamcast?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Alpha-Male22
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

When I look at my Sega Dreamcast and wonder what could have been, I constantly think of the Xbox (the 360 more so the original). I mean, it really did take Sega's dream and glorify it. Things like the controller (triggers, ABXY-- hell even the colors are the same, the placement of the analog stick) the online play-- it really seems that the Xbox took what Sega dreamed of and made it a reality.

Do you think the Dreamcast pioneered and paved the way for Xbox?

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
Well interestingly, i can see the 360 turn into the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast in Japan with all the arcade ports and its hardcore appeal...
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts
The Xbox 360 seems like the successor of the Xbox to me.
LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LittleHands134
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts
Only similar thing is the controllers really. Dreamcast games were horrible.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts
"BLASPHEMY! No console holds a candle to the Almighty Dreamcast! (ALL HAIL SEGA!)"

only person to vote for that :(
bethwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 bethwo
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts
No
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
"BLASPHEMY! No console holds a candle to the Almighty Dreamcast! (ALL HAIL SEGA!)"

only person to vote for that :(gameofthering
the dreamcast is very overrated if you ask me
Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Alpha-Male22

Lol, I knew there were some hardcore Dreamcasters on these forums :P

deathtoallgods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deathtoallgods
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts
Agreed to some degree, bit the 360 is successful. And the 56k Dreamcast was not good.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Xbox 360 is like the Dreamcast, but successful. Peter Moore hit it out of the park on his 2nd time at bat.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
Well it certainly has been amusing watching the cows in system wars try to wish it into having the exact same fate.
Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Alpha-Male22

Well it certainly has been amusing watching the cows in system wars try to wish it into having the exact same fate. heretrix

Highly unlikely, seeing that Microsoft isn't as small as Sega Corp.

sneslover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sneslover
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts

Xbox is a MS console, not a successor to anything.

Plus DC stinks.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It is missing a copious amount of games that made the Dreamcast awesome.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]Well it certainly has been amusing watching the cows in system wars try to wish it into having the exact same fate. Alpha-Male22

Highly unlikely, seeing that Microsoft isn't as small as Sega Corp.

Like I said, it was amusing to watch.
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts
I cant believe how many people are saying DC or its games sucked. you are all crazy. the 2k sports series started there, Project Gotham basicallz started there, soul calibur started there (and scored a 10), amongst other gems. yes, the xbox is really dc2. the dc even had the windows ce logo on the system.
druggyjoe3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 druggyjoe3000
Member since 2006 • 1523 Posts

Kinda

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

Lol, I voted that too. ;)

I used to be such a Sega Fanboy. :(

Segaswirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Segaswirl1
Member since 2003 • 177 Posts
I agree with TC... after me personally going from Dreamcast to the original Xbox there were a lot of similarities, plus I got the Sega Bundle Pack Xbox with Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT included. Good times... Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, even Project Gotham Racing (essentially Metropolis Street Racer 2) all helped to make it feel like natural progression for me, a Dreamcast fan.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
360 is looking good its a beast when it comes to third party games and it still holds strong with its exclusives.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I cant believe how many people are saying DC or its games sucked. you are all crazy. the 2k sports series started there, Project Gotham basicallz started there, soul calibur started there (and scored a 10), amongst other gems. yes, the xbox is really dc2. the dc even had the windows ce logo on the system.TBoogy

Shenmue, Ikaruga, Powerstone, Bangai-O, RE: Code Veronica, House/Typing of the Dead, Jet Grind Radio, Guilty Gear X, Maken X, Psyvariar 2, Rez, Segagaga, Space Channel 5, Skies of Arcadia, Virtua Fighter and Triggerheart Excelica. You missed a few. :P
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#22 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I think the DC was deffinsately a stepping stone for MS. They even developed a modifie ersion of windows for Sega.
Panther501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Panther501
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
I can't say its a successor to the dreamcast because the xbox lived to see another day and online play was the next evolution in console gaming so no.
DAZZER7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DAZZER7
Member since 2004 • 2422 Posts
I'm sure MS saw the potential of the DC and drew some inspiration from it no doubt. I'm surprised they didn't go and buy Sega.
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts

Shenmue, Ikaruga, Powerstone, Bangai-O, RE: Code Veronica, House/Typing of the Dead, Jet Grind Radio, Guilty Gear X, Maken X, Psyvariar 2, Rez, Segagaga, Space Channel 5, Skies of Arcadia, Virtua Fighter and Triggerheart Excelica. You missed a few. :P

Ready 2 Rumble, which EA recently ripped off and is being remade for wii. Hydro Thunder, which was big in bars at the time. DOA. And many of the titles we have mentioned were launch titles. i just didnt want to overwelm the haters...
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="TBoogy"]I cant believe how many people are saying DC or its games sucked. you are all crazy. the 2k sports series started there, Project Gotham basicallz started there, soul calibur started there (and scored a 10), amongst other gems. yes, the xbox is really dc2. the dc even had the windows ce logo on the system.foxhound_fox

Great games, I owned a Dreamcast as well, and it had the 2 best 3D Sonic games on there.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
Online console play is nothing new, it was not invented on the Dreamcast. The Saturn had sega.net Before that Xband allowed us to play our Snes, and Genesis over the net.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
Could you even play online gaming with a 56k connection speed like the dreamcast had? I remember the web browser was pretty sweet and i loved the games.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
Could you even play online gaming with a 56k connection speed like the dreamcast had? I remember the web browser was pretty sweet and i loved the games.Travis_Odell
yes you could but nearly every thing on dreamcast followed a PC type model so most stuff had servers or client side servers, as well the dreamcast could use broadband.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
nah its a successor of the xbox, so if the pads are similar, they are similar to the old xbox pads more
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts
I cant believe how many people are saying DC or its games sucked. you are all crazy. the 2k sports series started there, Project Gotham basicallz started there, soul calibur started there (and scored a 10), amongst other gems. yes, the xbox is really dc2. the dc even had the windows ce logo on the system.TBoogy
This and had SEGA took my advice ;) & joined with MS. Today, they would be sitting in the Developers Penthouse instead of rummaging around in the basement.
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
Well it certainly has been amusing watching the cows in system wars try to wish it into having the exact same fate. heretrix
Quite.
S3CR3T_SPY2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 S3CR3T_SPY2
Member since 2008 • 364 Posts
Dreamcast wasn't a faulty machine.
Alpha-Male22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Alpha-Male22

Dreamcast wasn't a faulty machine.S3CR3T_SPY2

Well I would agree, the Sega was just destroyed by the PS3 though. One of the major reasons was DVD capabilities that the Dreamcast didn't have. Too bad the same can't be said for Sony this gen with their Blu Ray

too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
Only similar thing is the controllers really. Dreamcast games were horrible.LittleHands134
you didn't own a dreamcast then.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="TBoogy"]I cant believe how many people are saying DC or its games sucked. you are all crazy. the 2k sports series started there, Project Gotham basicallz started there, soul calibur started there (and scored a 10), amongst other gems. yes, the xbox is really dc2. the dc even had the windows ce logo on the system.SecretPolice
This and had SEGA took my advice ;) & joined with MS. Today, they would be sitting in the Developers Penthouse instead of rummaging around in the basement.

I wish Sega was bought out by SOmebody other than Nintendo. I would instantly become a fanboy of whatever company especially if I start to see great games again coming from Sega. VC is a start, but I need more.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="TBoogy"]I cant believe how many people are saying DC or its games sucked. you are all crazy. the 2k sports series started there, Project Gotham basicallz started there, soul calibur started there (and scored a 10), amongst other gems. yes, the xbox is really dc2. the dc even had the windows ce logo on the system.too_much_eslim

I wish Sega was bought out by SOmebody other than Nintendo. I would instantly become a fanboy of whatever company especially if I start to see great games again coming from Sega. VC is a start, but I need more.

:) Yup and just think, we would be already playing Shenmue 3, a true this gen Sonic Adventure and JSRF a totally revamped and this gen PSO to name just a few. :D
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
They have some similarities, but each were/are great systems in their own right. If Sega was still around, I would almost certainly be a Sega fanboy, so I am somewhat glad they died in the hardware market, as I much prefer being a game fanboy than a hardware fanboy.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 too_much_eslim
[QUOTE="too_much_eslim"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]This and had SEGA took my advice ;) & joined with MS. Today, they would be sitting in the Developers Penthouse instead of rummaging around in the basement.SecretPolice

:) Yup and just think, we would be already playing Shenmue 3, a true this gen Sonic Adventure and JSRF a totally revamped and this gen PSO to name just a few. :D

Man 3 game I need to play befor I die: Shenmue 3, Skies of Arcadia 2, and Jet Set Radio. Problem is Smilebit made jet set radio and they are no more.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

not the 360

the original xbox kind of felt like a successor due to some exclusive SEGA games from some of their bigger franchises

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

the soul series actually started on PS1 with soul blade

-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
The Deamcast was the best $20 I've ever spent.
XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts
In some ways maybe. If Microsoft bought SEGA and had all SEGA games exclusive to the XBox 360, I might agree. Right now the XBox 360 is it's own entity.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts
Sort of I guess. When the original x-box came out, the controller reminded me a lot of the Dreamcast's one. Also Microsoft was backing up Sega before Dreamcast died off so....
Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts
DC is better than the Xbox..even with a shorter lifespan. I didn't like the Original Xbox at all...i thought it was the worst console of that gen. Ninja Gaiden Black however was absolute briliance.
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts

The similarities to the DC is what made me give MS a chance in gaming. Anybody with eyes could see the writing on the wall for the DC once the PS2 launched, very sad day in gaming to lose Sega :cry: As a gamer who enjoyed the breath of fresh air the DC had to offer, the Xbox also represented that path away from traditonal gaming. I stumbled onto a Xbox kiosk, held the Duke, and everything felt familiar...Too bad Sega was not smart enough to back MS 100% with its full catalog of games (only the chosen few).

Oh well the Xbox picked up the lap once the DC dropped the baton...happy gaming!!!

Game On...