The Xbox One Controller had a lot of issues is Microsoft re-investing in the X-Series controller?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I had a ton of issues with my xbox one controller despite Microsoft claiming they spent a billion dollars in research for the xbone controller, I didn't feel it I prefer the 360 controller by far over it.

1. The Bumpers they're loud as hell, they make a ton of noise and take me out of a game, they are hard to press down, its not comfortable to have to keep clicking that down all the time during a game and the noise the pops.

2. The AA batteries I'm not going to the store to get AA batteries, I'm not going to pickup some rechargeable and deal with throwing those in and plugging other ones in that's fucking 1990's. NO. I am not picking up a 50 dollar play and charge kit with a cord that ps4 provides for for free Microsoft I AM NOT PAYING fucking that much extra for the same features.

3. I couldn't plug in headsets directly into the controller. WTF is this? The ps4 I plug it right in with the xbox one I needed a add on to the bottom of the controller wth are u doing?

4. The controller feels cramped, it's smaller than the 360 and the DS4, over long periods of time my hands hurt and position is way worse than the 360 and the DS4.

5. The sticks are hard to move just like the bumpers it doesn't feel relaxed like the 360 sticks there smaller there harder to move around. The DS4 sticks are very relaxed as well just like the 360 was. WTH happened?

6. The D-Pad I can't use it for retro games I need the DS4 D-Pad for 2D Indies and retro games. Its just not useable its basically useless whereas the ps4 inn playing snes games with it and having a blast the DS4 crushes the SNES controller's DPAD. Its perfect.

7. The Triggers, there also hard to press down compared to the 360 everything about this controller is hard the d-pad, the sticks, the bumpers, why? Why isn't a relaxing controller like the 360 and the dual shock 4?

Why was the xbox one controller so stiff compared to the 360/ds4?

The xb1 controller is far from perfect with a lot of issues that the 360 didn't have.

The DS4 improved on DS3 in everyday and is easily the most comfortable playstation controller I have ever used and use it exclusively on my pc for 3d games like rocket league to my SNES emulation catalog. I just can use the ds4 for hours I play better with it in games and it just feels right.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44157 Posts

Really? Hmm. Well personally I’ve never had any issues with the Xbox One controller myself. In fact I found it to be a pretty good step up from the 360 controller. The d-pad is much better, is a bit better ergonomically, has that solid weighty feel, sticks feel good, nice trigger feel, and didn’t have any issues with the bumpers myself. I prefer having the option to use my own batteries in the controller myself. I just got the plug ‘n play rechargeable battery pack and I was all set to go.

I don’t have any changes that I’m hoping for with the Xbox Series X controller.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Lol....damage control post after the ds4 not supported on ps5 games reveal?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Archangel3371 said:

Really? Hmm. Well personally I’ve never had any issues with the Xbox One controller myself. In fact I found it to be a pretty good step up from the 360 controller. The d-pad is much better, is a bit better ergonomically, has that solid weighty feel, sticks feel good, nice trigger feel, and didn’t have any issues with the bumpers myself. I prefer having the option to use my own batteries in the controller myself. I just got the plug ‘n play rechargeable battery pack and I was all set to go.

I don’t have any changes that I’m hoping for with the Xbox Series X controller.

Wow bro you know the top buttons on the xb1 controller the bumpers you use to jump and stuff like that? Try to press those down casually on the 360 controller and compare to the xb1.

And now use the D-pad on the xb1 controller and try to play super Mario world compared to the DS4.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

I have zero issues with my own Xbox One Controller aka Elite and so with that, this sounds like you're own problems pal.

@ProtossRushX said:

2. The AA batteries I'm not going to the store to get AA batteries, I'm not going to pickup some rechargeable and deal with throwing those in and plugging other ones in that's fucking 1990's. NO. I am not picking up a 50 dollar play and charge kit with a cord that ps4 provides for for free Microsoft I AM NOT PAYING fucking that much extra for the same features.

Ummm, why not just go and get yourself rechargeable AA batteries? They are dirty cheap and I can't even remember the last time I ever bought a single battery pack. Everything on your list all blah, blah, blah.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator

@sealionact said:

For once, I agree with you lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Archangel3371 said:

I just got the plug ‘n play rechargeable battery pack and I was all set to go.

Folks this guy spent 50 dollars to get play in charge kit for his controller. He PAID MICROSOFT even. more money to get with dual shock 4 does.

what a sucker. Look at this guy

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Is it every X1 controller you've had these issues or just yours? You may have just a bad controller as this is the first of this many issues I've seen for it. The controller is generally praised. That said, I've never held one.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Bumpers are trash for sure. 150 bucks and they still break smh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Telekill said:

Is it every X1 controller you've had these issues or just yours? You may have just a bad controller as this is the first of this many issues I've seen for it. The controller is generally praised. That said, I've never held one.

Dude trust me you should try one out, Microsoft Needs to improve on there controller this gen they can't sit back and let sony improve again and they stay stagnate.

I play a lot of rocket league ranked and I was losing a ton of games with my xb1 controller and with d4 I winning every time. It just doesn't feel right man.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371

@ProtossRushX: Yeah I know what the bumper buttons are and I never had an issue with them myself. They’ve worked fine for me. Same with the d-pad I’ve played numerous fighting games, classic 2D games such as Final Fight, Mega Man, etc. and the d-pad works fine for me. Way better then the 360’s d-pad for sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@davillain- said:

I have zero issues with my own Xbox One Controller aka Elite and so with that, this sounds like you're own problems pal.

Ummm, why not just go and get yourself rechargeable AA batteries? They are dirty cheap and I can't even remember the last time I ever bought a single battery pack. Everything on your list all blah, blah, blah.

Maybe the elite fixed some issues of the original launch xbox one controller which I have. I can't spend 150 on the elite right now.

And think about this you have to place those batteries in recharger plug that into a outlet that takes up space its just an extra hassle ya know what I mean?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@ProtossRushX said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I just got the plug ‘n play rechargeable battery pack and I was all set to go.

Folks this guy spent 50 dollars to get play in charge kit for his controller. He PAID MICROSOFT even. more money to get with dual shock 4 does.

what a sucker. Look at this guy

While I agree MS brand rechargeable prices are a rip-off, why not buy just the AA rechargeable batteries instead for a fair low price? Here take a look: Energizer Rechargeable AA and AAA Battery Charger (Recharge Value) with 4 AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries and I been using them since the good old days on 360 controller.

If your smart, you'll be saving money :)

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

i like the Xbox one controller but I feel they missed the opportunity to do a good dpad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@sakaixx said:

i like the Xbox one controller but I feel they missed the opportunity to do a good dpad.

I agree dude fix the d-pad microsoft. They can't just say this is perfect when its not. Please upgrade the controller microsoft.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Nobody with issues but you. 360 and X1 controllers are and remain the best of the best of the best... Sir.

Well, soon to be surpassed by XSX controllers.

:P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The d-pad is awful, and the thumbsticks are asymmetrical and have awkward size and range of motion. But overall it's a very solid and well-built controller, and the rumble triggers are fantastic for racing games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@xantufrog said:

The d-pad is awful, and the thumbsticks are asymmetrical and have awkward size and range of motion. But overall it's a very solid and well-built controller, and the rumble triggers are fantastic for racing games

I agree dude fix this d-pad lets get it to match Nintendo's and Sony's D-Pad's

Microsoft can't just walk inn and throw us an xb1 controller for next gen they need to fix this.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator

@xantufrog said:

I never had problems using the D-pad on my Elite controller but than again, its been a very long time since I held a regular Xbox One controller.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371

@ProtossRushX: Actually I paid $25 for mine but thanks for your concern, it means a lot to me. 🙏

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@davillain-: I think they completely redesigned the d-pad for the elite, didn't they? I just have a base X1S controller to game on

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Starting to wonder why the OP even has a Microsoft product since he hates the company so much. Sorry to say the Xbox controllers are the best of the best and compared to what Sony has released so far it is no contest for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Xabiss said:

Starting to wonder why the OP even has a Microsoft product since he hates the company so much. Sorry to say the Xbox controllers are the best of the best and compared to what Sony has released so far it is no contest for me.

Its not just me dude, a lot of older games don't feel the xb1 controller is as comfortable such as ReviewTechUSA on YouTube has said he prefers the Dual Shock 4 over xb1 controller. Microsoft you better upgrade that you throw xb1 controller on this new system im calling you out if that happens. INVEST make your controller improve it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#24 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I blame Sony for their lack of competition. If Sony stops releasing the worse controllers every single gen maybe then MS and Nintendo start to put some more effort into it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

My only issue with the xbox one controller was no share button which is fixed with series X.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Still think the elite is a great controller, but the grips are cheap as hell and fall apart and triggers are pretty vulnerable too.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

@ProtossRushX: I’m not surprised you had loads of fake issues you are a troll and a fanboy!

Personally all my issues are with the piss poor battery life with my DualShock controller

Plus a random YouTuber prefers one over the other and you claim loads of gamers don’t like it! Give in man you fool no one

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yeah the d-pad is trash on the Xbox controller.

Personally I don't like either of the offerings from Sony or Xbox this gen. They both have serious issues.

My vote to best overall controller goes to 8bitdo for their SN30 Pro+

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

The ps4 version 1 is so much better than version 2 seems to feel like cheaper materials.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

I got a $15 play and charge kit from GameStop and that has served me fine last few years. Also, the XB1 controller has included a 3.5mm jack the last 5 years. They've also improved bumbers a great deal, they were never loud at least as far as I am concerned, just originally too stiff for my liking; but I would agree I liked Xbox 360 bumpers better. Analog resistance is fine, I'd even say my pre-Pro/Slim DS4 analogs are stiffer (about on par with my last remaining X360 controller), not that I am complaining about that myself, so if anything, the XB1 analogs feel looser than DS4/X360, then again I no longer have my launch XB1 controller for reference as seems maybe the case with the assertion it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. Triggers are stiffer than DS4, I always thought this was more positive as I thought DS4 triggers felt cheap and dainty, plus I never liked how the DS3 or DS4 could not sit on a flat surface without the trigger propping up the controller. The XB1 and even X360 controllers had far better rumble than the DS3 and DS4, I really noticed the trigger rumble advantages in Forza Horizon 3, as it gave a greater sense of terrain and traction for left/right tires; granted I think DS5 will finally out-do the MS counterpart with the haptic feedback for DS5, hopefully MS improves their design in this regard. Each of these controllers has their different advantages over the other, not single on is better in every regard, though it might feel that way if you use one a lot more than another.

One thing all companies have been negligent in this gen though is analog modules, they all use the same lowest bidder cheap ass Chinese modules that were nowhere as sturdy as ones used in prior gens. Now both Nintendo and MS are being sued over it but all three (four if you include Steam controller) used modules with same material corner cutting we can see between 7th and 8th gen controllers. Hope these lawsuit help compel them to greater quality assurance going into next gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Archangel3371 said:

@ProtossRushX: Yeah I know what the bumper buttons are and I never had an issue with them myself. They’ve worked fine for me. Same with the d-pad I’ve played numerous fighting games, classic 2D games such as Final Fight, Mega Man, etc. and the d-pad works fine for me. Way better then the 360’s d-pad for sure.

Loading Video...

he compares the 360 controller to the xb1.

you should really try out the dual shock 4 for final fight and mega man and compare to your xbox one controller you don't know what ur missing unless you try both.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Archangel3371

@ProtossRushX: Well I really don’t need to hear what he says because I know what my hands on experience already tells me, I find the Xbox One controller to be a better controller then the 360.

As for the PS4 controller I have used one a few times for a few different games. Haven’t used the d-pad much on it though. Is it better then Xbox’s d-pad? Yeah probably. I’ve never had many problems with the d-pad on Sony’s controllers. However I find the one on the Xbox One controller to be quite good. Also I prefer the Xbox One controller over the Dual Shock 4 due to the asymmetrical analogue sticks, better trigger buttons, and a more weighty and ergonomic feel.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I prefer the 360 controller over the Xbone controller. Prefer the Elite 2 over any standard controller.

They're all good though, didn't have issues with any of them.

DS4 was a big improvement over the DS3. Though I had two of them give out on me, even with little use. First one, the right trigger just fell out lol. Second one, battery stopped holding a charge.

I've always preferred the layout and buttons on Sonys controllers, just wish they had better build quality. DS3 was jank, DS4 was an improvement, but still felt cheap compared to the competition. Really wish Sony would offer their version of the Elite.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

This

@sealionact said:

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@davillain- said:

@ProtossRushX said:

Not really. Cheaper than buying a new controller sure, but they ain't "dirt cheap."

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Do you ever stop thinking about Xbox? You are fanatically obsessed. You need help.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Just wondering how many hours does a standard AA battery last in an X1 controller? I never used up my first pair since I've only played 3 games since I got it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@ProtossRushX: Do you ever stop thinking about Xbox? You are fanatically obsessed. You need help.

Bro im just concerned because we haven't really seen an indepth look at the x-series x controller, we've seen the PS5 dual sense controller in action and know what it looks like.

Where is the x-series controller? Why aren't they showing it off and already I had concerns with xb1 controller so it better be new and different like the haptic feedback we have with the switch and the ps5 better be in it etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

With all of the tc's threads on the front board of SW, any passerby would think this place is full of idiots.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I thought the controller was one of the better things about the console.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

But MS likes to give plAyers a choice, by keeping them in the 90’s with rechargeable battery packs .

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

I have had no complaints over the controller.. I like the feel of it in my hands and it works well.

As for AA instead of a built in battery, I prefer that as well. I bought rechargeable NiMH batteries and when one set dies after many many many hours of gameplay I put in the other set in (take 10 seconds). I would rather have that then have to be tethered to the console if my controller shows low battery mid game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#43 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

The bumpers need to be more resilient. Even with their redesign, it still fails. Not sure if it improved with the Series X controller or Series 2 Elite.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Had the OG.

YES! Absolutely! It's one noisy fudger. I've had someone complain about it once and this person never complained about it with my DS4. When the sticks hit the furthest edge, it produces an annoying higher pitched hollow sound.

The DPAD was also wonky. Sometimes the adjacent buttons activate. Eventhough it's about as tiny as the VITA, the VITA was way more responsive.

The shoulders also don't activate sometimes unless you specifically position your fingers in a way. This is a non issue on any controller I've tried.

It's far more rigid than the DS4 and the battery life is way beyond.

I heard that the V2 controller fixed most of those.

DS4 had flaking issues but I immediately bought caps so mine is still perfect to this day. The bar code on the DS4 is flaking though.