deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Complacency aka publishers and devs playing it safe and not making new IP's a perfect example of this is Rockstar games they are just raking in the GTA online money. I guess as a business move you could say this is smart but as a dev and creator this must get boring as hell just churning out updates to a game that is 7 years old. The lack of new IP's compared to past generations is astounding people make excuses for these companies and say AAA games cost alot to make. I'm sure that's true to a extent but these companies have money they just don't have the guts to try something different.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

less games. you need to wait for 5 years to get a sequel.

thats definitely worst thing about this gen.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It's a pretty dumb situation... I would much prefer shorter, more focused games, released more frequently. Instead we get these monsters that are supposed to take over your life with a bunch of chore-like grinding. I can't stomach it anymore.

Nowadays I always check HowLongToBeat before I get a game. If it's too long its a no go (except for CDPR games ;) )

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Games take longer to make now unless you have a 1000 people working on them so you can pump out an Assassins Creed game every year.

I don’t mind that games take longer to make. There is so many game releases that I am never bored.

I suppose if all you play is rockstar games, than you would be mad, but that’s a YOU problem.

I don’t care if Rockstar only makes 1 game every 5 years. I am busy playing other games from other developers.

This gen is the best because we have so many AAA games releasing all the time. I am never bored.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

It's a pretty dumb situation... I would much prefer shorter, more focused games, released more frequently. Instead we get these monsters that are supposed to take over your life with a bunch of chore-like grinding. I can't stomach it anymore.

Nowadays I always check HowLongToBeat before I get a game. If it's too long its a no go (except for CDPR games ;) )

Obsidian is a good example of that with Outer Worlds. Perfect game length. Not too long to get bogged down in side quests and the grind, not too short to seem like a bad value, and a whole lot of replayability that doesn't seem repetitive.

That's also why I enjoy a lot of independent games these days as well; they're often <20 hours in length, very fun, and generally <30 dollars.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Indies and more focused passion projects from the devs. If you don't like the Hollywood fluff, don't but it. You don't need to. There's a ton to play - I actually think this is one of the best generations in a long time

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

during 7th gen people complain about every game is COD clone. 6 hour, linear and scripted. so in 8th gen every game become open world grindy experience.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

It's all about making more money. From playing it safe to putting out games with microtransactions and lootboxes. Last generation, it started. It's full-on now.

It's weird to play something like Jedi Fallen Order, which doesn't greet you with a megapatch, and storefront in the main menu.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Eh, if companies were busy creating new IPs then people would be complaining that they weren’t leveraging already popular ones with new content and sequels. I feel that there is an absolute metric ton of great games to play these days, definitely more then I can find time for.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

its not the lack of new IP that bothers me (i generally consider that to be window dressing) but the lack of ambition and new ideas in the AAA sector that is my biggest disappointment. This gen has basically been characterised as the same as last gen but prettier in the AAA sector.

combine that with MTX galore in many AAA games and it's jsut leading to a poor experience imho.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

R* figured out they don't need to make games to make money and can just continue to milk the whales playing their online service. So they let the money roll in an put most of their resources into RDR2.

I agree. I miss the wacky GTA spin off games from the GTA3 era.

You'll notice the drop off is right at the same time consoles became internet enabled machines.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ajstyles said:

Games take longer to make now unless you have a 1000 people working on them so you can pump out an Assassins Creed game every year.

I don’t mind that games take longer to make. There is so many game releases that I am never bored.

I suppose if all you play is rockstar games, than you would be mad, but that’s a YOU problem.

I don’t care if Rockstar only makes 1 game every 5 years. I am busy playing other games from other developers.

This gen is the best because we have so many AAA games releasing all the time. I am never bored.

• I suppose if all you play is rockstar games, than you would be mad, but that’s a YOU problem.

It's not I play tons of other games then just Rockstar it's just one example of complacency in the games industry.

I haven't even mention remasters remakes and reboots now I'm not saying all remakes are bad what Capcom are doing with the RE series is how you do it right with it's remakes. But do we need so many remasters from last gen? like the Bioshock series and Tomb Raider 2013, Skyrim, DeadPool, Resident Evil 6 ect.... it's just a easy cash grab. This generation is easily the most lazy and complacent I have ever seen it's not all bad of course but there's so much room for new IP's innovations. These days it feels more like then ever before that corporate suits that don't give a shit about gaming are running and ruining the industry don't even get me started on microstractions.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@ajstyles said:

This gen is the worst, doesn't even come close to as good as last gen.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17795 Posts

Worst thing: Companies not giving a fuk about the consumer (broken games, exploitative micro-transactions, loot boxes, etc.).

Best thing: Everything is transitioning to PC. Pretty much all third party games are now available on PC. First party games are coming to PC too.

Solspear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Solspear
Member since 2015 • 67 Posts

Seems like it's all those Inner City kids bringing out their inner gang banger.

GTAV lost its charm for me at least 3 years later. The only thing that keeps me hooked to certain games or at least MMO style games are their Events or Holiday Events

I remember there was one such Halloween Rvent in GTAV where the special Deathmatch Mode involved one player going around and 1 hit killing everyone, while the other players needed to hide and were only armed with a Flashlight