The Witcher 3 runs at a stunning 540p on Switch

  • 154 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Avatar image for fedor
#51 Posted by Fedor (4983 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: Sounds terrible. Now Link's Awakening in bed, on the train, and at the laundromat sounds divine.

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#52 Posted by DocSanchez (5279 posts) -

The Switcher.

Cue a load of people who previously bashed it calling the game "one of the best ever" because they get the worst version FULL PRICE while PC owners can get vastly better version of the game for around 10 quid right now on GOG.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#53 Posted by Mandzilla (4085 posts) -

@DocSanchez: The Switcher, I like that.

Avatar image for vfighter
#54 Posted by VFighter (4913 posts) -

@briguyb13: I have both, and rarley use the switch in portable mode. I would also never buy these watered down 3rd party games for the switch.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#55 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31020 posts) -

I applaud them for getting this massive game to run on the switch (a tablet basically).

But the downgrade is insane:

2019
2019
2015
2015

Top is an official screenshot, bottom is one I took in 2015

Avatar image for briguyb13
#56 Posted by briguyb13 (3067 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@briguyb13: I have both, and rarley use the switch in portable mode. I would also never buy these watered down 3rd party games for the switch.

Then you should only buy third party games on PC, because they're also watered down on PS4.

Avatar image for XVision84
#57 Posted by XVision84 (16044 posts) -
@FireEmblem_Man said:

@XVision84: way to clickbait your topic title

It's all about stretching the truth ;)

Avatar image for kali-b1rd
#58 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2146 posts) -
@scatteh316 said:

Strip a game back enough and it'll run on anything..........but it stops being that same game.

This is hilarious coming from any console peasants.

Avatar image for enzyme36
#59 Posted by enzyme36 (4198 posts) -

If I enjoyed the game .... it be a no brainer to get this on switch as well.

Will be double dipping on Doom instead on day 1.

Avatar image for scatteh316
#60 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:

All I'm seeing is Witcher 3 on Switch being the RE2 64 of it's time.

Except I don't remember N64 having to run RE2 at massively reduced settings and 8x lower resolution then other versions...

Avatar image for mazuiface
#61 Posted by mazuiface (897 posts) -

GOTY edition is 15 bucks on PC right now. Grab it right now if you haven't played it before.

Are they actually asking $60 for this?

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#62 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

Why did they even bother?

Avatar image for calvincfb
#63 Posted by Calvincfb (1303 posts) -

@XVision84: so, you're an Ms fan, you're making fun of the switch but missed out on the best games of the generation like switch and PS exclusives? ROFL.

Avatar image for dotWithShoes
#64 Posted by dotWithShoes (5536 posts) -
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@briguyb13 said:

Instead of being a fanboy douche, how about giving credit where it's due? The whole game on a small cartridge, and a game that big and amazing running on a handheld.

Being on a small cartridge is no feat. You do realize these exist, don't you? https://www.amazon.com/1024GB-Card-Cameras-Android-Smartphones/dp/B07RPF1RST/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=1tb+sd+card&qid=1560329958&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

You realize these are fake, right?

Avatar image for BassMan
#65 Posted by BassMan (10208 posts) -

TW3 Switch version....

Avatar image for XVision84
#66 Edited by XVision84 (16044 posts) -

@calvincfb: I'm already playing the best games of this generation with Forza and Crackdown, my guy.

Avatar image for TheEroica
#67 Posted by TheEroica (18412 posts) -

Honestly, who cares?

Avatar image for TheEroica
#68 Posted by TheEroica (18412 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

LMAO.

Nintendo is the only company in history to go backwards in resolution and graphics.

That is just pathetic and sheep are still going to defend his trash.

Right? Makes it even funnier when the monthly sales figures comes in and switch is on top... Lol!

Avatar image for calvincfb
#69 Edited by Calvincfb (1303 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

@calvincfb: I'm already playing the best games of this generation with Forza and Crackdown, my guy.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

You HAVE to be joking.

Avatar image for mazuiface
#70 Posted by mazuiface (897 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

*** The publishers pull off technical wizardry to get The Witcher 3 working on a single cartridge on a handheld device ***

Cows: NiNtEnDo SuCkzOrS!

Yet this thread is made by an MS fan.

Avatar image for BassMan
#71 Posted by BassMan (10208 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Honestly, who cares?

Those who care about quality.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#72 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6389 posts) -

Why are people impressed that they got this game to fit on a 32GB cartridge?...

I mean they have Doom on the Switch and that game is a 70GB file on Steam and Witcher 3 is 38GB.

I wonder if they created new settings for the Switch version like they did with Doom where it had settings lower than lowest on PC.

Avatar image for X_CAPCOM_X
#73 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8609 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

*** The publishers pull off technical wizardry to get The Witcher 3 working on a single cartridge on a handheld device ***

Cows: NiNtEnDo SuCkzOrS!

potato mode mods exist for many games on PC, which can be played on the go. This doesn't mean you should advocate for them over their superior counterparts. Why should you? Because it's running on a nintendo piece of hardware?

Avatar image for XVision84
#74 Posted by XVision84 (16044 posts) -

@calvincfb: Why would I be joking? Sony only knows how to make action adventure games and Nintendo is for children. Microsoft handles mature and tough themes across many genres.

Avatar image for TheEroica
#75 Edited by TheEroica (18412 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@TheEroica said:

Honestly, who cares?

Those who care about quality.

Those who claim to "care about quality" and miss the concept that playing a massive open world game like that on the go is the epitome of "quality"....

Let's not play games. You are speaking about your obsession with graphic quality and that is entirely different. I obsess over gameplay, myself.

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#76 Posted by DocSanchez (5279 posts) -
@TheEroica said:
@BassMan said:
@TheEroica said:

Honestly, who cares?

Those who care about quality.

Those who claim to "care about quality" and miss the concept that playing a massive open world game like that on the go is the epitome of "quality"....

Let's not play games. You are speaking about your obsession with graphic quality and that is entirely different. I obsess over gameplay, myself.

Games like these are unsuited to playing on the go. They require masses of time and concentration. This notion that gaming on the go is a benefit to any game needs to go away. For multiplayer games, sure, for arcade, short burst of fun, sure, but The Witcher? People will play this hooked up to their TV.

Avatar image for mazuiface
#77 Posted by mazuiface (897 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Why are people impressed that they got this game to fit on a 32GB cartridge?...

I mean they have Doom on the Switch and that game is a 70GB file on Steam and Witcher 3 is 38GB.

I wonder if they created new settings for the Switch version like they did with Doom where it had settings lower than lowest on PC.

My guess is that a people are letting their Nintendo tinted glasses color their outlook on this game - I agree with what you are saying about the technical aspects of this game. I bet most of what they needed to do to make it fit was include *new* low res textures, etc. lower than the lowest setting on PC.

It really depends on the price though. If they are asking any more than $30 for this, it would be self-punishment for those who buy it. The portability of the Switch might make it a little novel, but most people play their Switch docked anyway.

Avatar image for BassMan
#78 Posted by BassMan (10208 posts) -

@TheEroica said:
@BassMan said:
@TheEroica said:

Honestly, who cares?

Those who care about quality.

Those who claim to "care about quality" and miss the concept that playing a massive open world game like that on the go is the epitome of "quality"....

Let's not play games. You are speaking about your obsession with graphic quality and that is entirely different. I obsess over gameplay, myself.

Low resolution, shit frame rate, downgraded assets, downgraded world simulation, etc. all effect the immersion and enjoyment of the game. All those sacrifices are not worth it for portability. This port is an insult to the greatness that is The Witcher 3.

Avatar image for zaryia
#79 Posted by Zaryia (8608 posts) -
@ajstyles said:

LMAO.

Nintendo is the only company in history to go backwards in resolution and graphics.

That is just pathetic and sheep are still going to defend his trash.

You're laughing at Nintendo while Witcher3 looks and runs like shit on PS4 too.

Avatar image for xhawk27
#80 Posted by xhawk27 (11290 posts) -

I applaud them for even trying. You got the Switch for fun playing on the go version and the X1X version for HDR something even the PC version doesn't have.

Avatar image for TheEroica
#81 Edited by TheEroica (18412 posts) -

@DocSanchez: that is just not true.... I put 120+ hours into Skyrim switch and I could only muster half that on my 360 years ago, just as an example

Handheld AAA games sacrifice graphic performance and everyone who buys it goes into it knowing it. The switch offers a gaming lifestyle that the others don't and when a huge AAA arrives and plays consistent to the hardwares potential, we have lots to be excited for.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#82 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@DocSanchez: that is just not true.... I put 120+ hours into Skyrim switch and I could only muster half that on my 360 years ago, just as an example

Handheld AAA games sacrifice graphic performance and everyone who buys it goes into it knowing it. The switch offers a gaming lifestyle that the others don't and when a huge AAA arrives and plays consistent to the hardwares potential, we have lots to be excited for.

These people laughing are the funny ones, like switch owners don't already know it will be different? And yet I adored Doom and Wolfenstein II on switch. They played fantastic, cut scenes were top quality, and gameplay is king.

Even doom at 30fps had an incredibly nice old school feel to it. Meanwhile they're all secretly playing games on the lowest settings on their PC's bragging about a high end graphics engine they can't even afford.

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#83 Posted by DocSanchez (5279 posts) -
@TheEroica said:

@DocSanchez: that is just not true.... I put 120+ hours into Skyrim switch and I could only muster half that on my 360 years ago, just as an example

Handheld AAA games sacrifice graphic performance and everyone who buys it goes into it knowing it. The switch offers a gaming lifestyle that the others don't and when a huge AAA arrives and plays consistent to the hardwares potential, we have lots to be excited for.

YOU may have put a lot of time into it, because it's a great game. Witcher 3 will still be a great game. But these are not "Suited" to handhelds or enhanced by on the go experience at all. The small screen is going to be an issue, the battery, certainly, the nature of hours and hours playing on this tiny screen with these issues, not in the comfort of your home (because why wouldnt you plug it in?) but the distracting world outside?. People just throw lazily about the idea that gaming on the go is always a benefit. It just isn't. This will be played on nearly everyone's TV. I guarantee it.

I have a handheld capable of playing Shenmue. I had fantasies of playing it everywhere, and outside, on the go, on the bus or in the car, waste of time.

This is nothing to be excited for. It's out there, for next to nothing, at vastly better quality elsewhere, and you are going to pay $60 for a version with no real enhancements to a game like this? No.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#84 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@mazuiface said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Why are people impressed that they got this game to fit on a 32GB cartridge?...

I mean they have Doom on the Switch and that game is a 70GB file on Steam and Witcher 3 is 38GB.

I wonder if they created new settings for the Switch version like they did with Doom where it had settings lower than lowest on PC.

My guess is that a people are letting their Nintendo tinted glasses color their outlook on this game - I agree with what you are saying about the technical aspects of this game. I bet most of what they needed to do to make it fit was include *new* low res textures, etc. lower than the lowest setting on PC.

It really depends on the price though. If they are asking any more than $30 for this, it would be self-punishment for those who buy it. The portability of the Switch might make it a little novel, but most people play their Switch docked anyway.

I don't get people who get hung up on the price.

It doesn't cost zero dollars to port a game. It's a whole process, takes time and money. It's a new game on SWITCH. Doesn't matter that it's being sold for two cents on steam. It's been on that platform since 2015. It's on switch, NOW, TODAY, for the first time. And yes, switch comes with its special feature of portability and thus will be priced accordingly.

Gamers always sound so cheap, me thinks you need to find a cheaper hobby if money is your greatest concern.

Perhaps knitting. Although the cost of yarn is going up...

Avatar image for valgaav_219
#85 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2379 posts) -

@FinalFighters said:

anybody who's playing this game for the first time on a nintendo switch should get kicked in the groin

This made me lol

Avatar image for mazuiface
#86 Posted by mazuiface (897 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@mazuiface said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Why are people impressed that they got this game to fit on a 32GB cartridge?...

I mean they have Doom on the Switch and that game is a 70GB file on Steam and Witcher 3 is 38GB.

I wonder if they created new settings for the Switch version like they did with Doom where it had settings lower than lowest on PC.

My guess is that a people are letting their Nintendo tinted glasses color their outlook on this game - I agree with what you are saying about the technical aspects of this game. I bet most of what they needed to do to make it fit was include *new* low res textures, etc. lower than the lowest setting on PC.

It really depends on the price though. If they are asking any more than $30 for this, it would be self-punishment for those who buy it. The portability of the Switch might make it a little novel, but most people play their Switch docked anyway.

I don't get people who get hung up on the price.

It doesn't cost zero dollars to port a game. It's a whole process, takes time and money. It's a new game on SWITCH. Doesn't matter that it's being sold for two cents on steam. It's been on that platform since 2015. It's on switch, NOW, TODAY, for the first time. And yes, switch comes with its special feature of portability and thus will be priced accordingly.

Gamers always sound so cheap, me thinks you need to find a cheaper hobby if money is your greatest concern.

Perhaps knitting. Although the cost of yarn is going up...

Behind the fact that my basic rational assessment of this game incurred some anger from you is the fact that you fail to realize that, upon the release of this game on Switch, it will also still be available for other platforms, as it already is. If this version is priced too high, it will further remove incentive for those who haven't played it to simply purchase it on another platform, while maintaining better visual quality and saving a decent amount of money (based on the price, of course).

That this simple fact bothers you so much is amusing to me. Nothing is stopping you from saving money and getting this game from 2015 on your PS4/Pro, One/X, or even PC if you own any of those. If the game does release at 60 USD, and you do choose to buy it, that is all on you, not other gamers who are enjoying it or have enjoyed it for being so cheap as you prescribe. Don't worry though - there are still plenty of other games to play on Switch which run much better on the hardware - this is just not the best port, as a technical analysis shows.

Avatar image for scatteh316
#87 Edited by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -
@kali-b1rd said:
@scatteh316 said:

Strip a game back enough and it'll run on anything..........but it stops being that same game.

This is hilarious coming from any console peasants.

Good job I have a gaming PC with a GTX1070 then, what GPU you rocking in your PC again??..........clown

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#88 Posted by getyeryayasout (12330 posts) -

If a game isn't good because of a graphical downgrade, was it ever a good game?

Avatar image for scatteh316
#89 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -
@getyeryayasout said:

If a game isn't good because of a graphical downgrade, was it ever a good game?

Yes because graphics are on the ONLY thing that can be downgraded in a game....... :/

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#90 Edited by lundy86_4 (53187 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:
@kali-b1rd said:

This is hilarious coming from any console peasants.

Good job I have a gaming PC with a GTX1070 then, what GPU you rocking in your PC again??..........clown

I'll bet my bottom dollar that it's better than a 1070... I have one in my closet, if you'd like a spare.

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#91 Posted by getyeryayasout (12330 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:
@getyeryayasout said:

If a game isn't good because of a graphical downgrade, was it ever a good game?

Yes because graphics are on the ONLY thing that can be downgraded in a game....... :/

It's the only downgrade we know of. If it's unplayable due to framerate and stutter, that's a different thing altogether.

Avatar image for nerdrage
#92 Posted by NerdRAGE (21 posts) -

Already played/completed this game a long time ago, but I'm really curious to see how the final Switch version will turn out.

DF's take on this is a bit more optimistic than OP's.

[Full DF Article]

Avatar image for X_CAPCOM_X
#93 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (8609 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@scatteh316 said:

Strip a game back enough and it'll run on anything..........but it stops being that same game.

This is hilarious coming from any console peasants.

Not even the regular xbone reached resolutions that low this gen, so no, it isn't really.

This begs the question: so why would you defend the switch version this way then? It's significantly worse than what "console peasants" play on.

Avatar image for TheEroica
#94 Posted by TheEroica (18412 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:
@TheEroica said:

@DocSanchez: that is just not true.... I put 120+ hours into Skyrim switch and I could only muster half that on my 360 years ago, just as an example

Handheld AAA games sacrifice graphic performance and everyone who buys it goes into it knowing it. The switch offers a gaming lifestyle that the others don't and when a huge AAA arrives and plays consistent to the hardwares potential, we have lots to be excited for.

YOU may have put a lot of time into it, because it's a great game. Witcher 3 will still be a great game. But these are not "Suited" to handhelds or enhanced by on the go experience at all. The small screen is going to be an issue, the battery, certainly, the nature of hours and hours playing on this tiny screen with these issues, not in the comfort of your home (because why wouldnt you plug it in?) but the distracting world outside?. People just throw lazily about the idea that gaming on the go is always a benefit. It just isn't. This will be played on nearly everyone's TV. I guarantee it.

I have a handheld capable of playing Shenmue. I had fantasies of playing it everywhere, and outside, on the go, on the bus or in the car, waste of time.

This is nothing to be excited for. It's out there, for next to nothing, at vastly better quality elsewhere, and you are going to pay $60 for a version with no real enhancements to a game like this? No.

"these are not "Suited" to handhelds or enhanced by on the go experience at all."

Just no.... Dude, I can respect that we may be at different places in life and you may not appreciate the value of being at your kids 4 hour swim meet waiting with Bayonetta 2 or Skyrim to play, but someday you'll be there and you'll understand how "enhanced" the experience is.

I would gladly take every new release on my switch over my 4k. I have a thousand hours of gameplay in handheld mode and maybe a total of a dozen docked.

Avatar image for saltslasher
#95 Posted by SaltSlasher (1087 posts) -

@ajstyles: Nintendo is only company who can convinced the industry that their handheld tablet is a console. If PSP Go was sold with its dock, no one would believe them that it's a console, of course Sony has AAA games that won't fit on it.

Honestly the most surprising thing is that no one has done this yet, and even more shocking that no one has copied them.

Avatar image for joebones5000
#96 Posted by joebones5000 (2221 posts) -

Even at 540p it is still going to be the best game this gen so far.

Avatar image for 2Chalupas
#97 Edited by 2Chalupas (7068 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:

Why did they even bother?

I doubt CD Project woke up one day and said, "hey, you know what would be great, let's take a little time from developing Cyberpunk and port this 4 year old game to Switch". I'm sure the answer was $$$, as in Nintendo paid somebody to do it regardless of the technical limitations (I would assume it's not even CD Project Red doing the port, or at least it would surprise me if they assigned any of their important staff to do a project such as this).

I don't think it's a bad thing. Nintendo obviously wants to do away with the idea that they don't get 3rd parties. They obviously aren't at parity, but getting late ports is better than nothing. Though if the game has to go all the way down to 540p, that obviously makes it a questionable choice from a technical perspective. Even last gen when consoles were struggling with hitting even 720p, games had to go sub-HD but I don't remember too many going down to 540p.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#98 Posted by Ant_17 (12462 posts) -

@briguyb13 said:
@XVision84 said:

@briguyb13: Neither, I'm an avid Microsoft fan. Halo. Gears. Forza. What more could you want? All in 4k and with project xcloud you can stream it all anywhere.

Nah you're a hardcore pony. But do you have more platinum trophies than me?

Pfft, 20 plats is your highlight on PSN?

Avatar image for heirren
#99 Posted by Heirren (911 posts) -

Nice to see Switch get a full fledged Definitive Edition. Never bothered to get the ps4 one so i guess now is the time.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#100 Posted by briguyb13 (3067 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:
@briguyb13 said:
@XVision84 said:

@briguyb13: Neither, I'm an avid Microsoft fan. Halo. Gears. Forza. What more could you want? All in 4k and with project xcloud you can stream it all anywhere.

Nah you're a hardcore pony. But do you have more platinum trophies than me?

Pfft, 20 plats is your highlight on PSN?

I wasn't being serious. Ask anyone who knows me, I'm not a trophy hunter (obviously) and just go after the ones in games I really like. I generally put a lot of time in all my systems, and replay a lot of games just for fun. (not that there's anything wrong with trophy hunting)