The Witcher 3 runs at a stunning 540p on Switch

  • 154 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Avatar image for XVision84
#1 Edited by XVision84 (16044 posts) -

Source: https://twistedvoxel.com/the-witcher-3-complete-edition-size-resolution/

Dynamic 720p docked resolution, occasionally dipping lower, and 540p handheld resolution. 30fps. 32gb file size.

Next gen starts when Nintendo says so :P.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#2 Posted by briguyb13 (3067 posts) -

Instead of being a fanboy douche, how about giving credit where it's due? The whole game on a small cartridge, and a game that big and amazing running on a handheld.

Avatar image for ajstyles
#3 Posted by AJStyles (836 posts) -

LMAO.

Nintendo is the only company in history to go backwards in resolution and graphics.

That is just pathetic and sheep are still going to defend his trash.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#4 Posted by sakaiXx (5504 posts) -

@briguyb13: its system wars

Avatar image for XVision84
#5 Edited by XVision84 (16044 posts) -

@briguyb13: Handheld or not, 540p is just bad. I commend the developers for fitting the witcher 3 on such laughably weak hardware. No idea why anyone would spend their money on such an outdated console.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#6 Posted by briguyb13 (3067 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

@briguyb13: Handheld or not, 540p is just bad. I commend the developers for fitting the witcher 3 on such laughably weak hardware. No idea why anyone would spend their money on something so outdated.

Do you even own a Switch, or are you PS4 only? I ask because those of us who have one tend to like the portability function of the system. Being able to play modern games on the go is a treasure.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (27977 posts) -

I think it’s really cool that it’s even on the Switch at all. The Switch is a great system in my opinion and from what I’ve seen shown of the game running on it I think that it looks fairly decent. Would probably get it myself but I’ve got the game on the Xbox One and have already played through it and the dlc. While the game is excellent I’m not really itching to play through it all again, I’ve got too many other games to play anyway.

Avatar image for XVision84
#8 Posted by XVision84 (16044 posts) -

@briguyb13: Neither, I'm an avid Microsoft fan. Halo. Gears. Forza. What more could you want? All in 4k and with project xcloud you can stream it all anywhere.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#9 Posted by briguyb13 (3067 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

@briguyb13: Neither, I'm an avid Microsoft fan. Halo. Gears. Forza. What more could you want? All in 4k and with project xcloud you can stream it all anywhere.

Nah you're a hardcore pony. But do you have more platinum trophies than me?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
#10 Posted by deactivated-5d0a4c3876874 (180 posts) -

Lol. Nintendo is a joke.

Avatar image for nethernova
#12 Posted by nethernova (5695 posts) -

@briguyb13 said:

Being able to play modern games on the go is a treasure.

No, it's not. I can't imagine much (gaming related) that would be worse than playing The Witcher on a bus ride or something. Who would want to do that? A masterpiece you really have to put some time into and you want to play it on your way to work while dozens of people rub themselves against you. Shame on you. That's like wanting to watch a really great movie and instead of the 70 inch 4K TV you're going for a phone to experience it. Disgusting.

Avatar image for XVision84
#13 Posted by XVision84 (16044 posts) -

@briguyb13: Probably not since I'm not much of an achievement hunter :P. What gave me away? I thought I was a convincing lem. I mentioned halo, gears, forza, and 4k.

The switch is great btw, I agree about its portability and I'm enjoying it. I don't think the witcher is a good fit since it's so focused on story/atmosphere and it's also dark. That is quite different from what the switch is known for. Still good for those who want to play it on the go or switch fans who haven't played it before.

Avatar image for scatteh316
#14 Posted by scatteh316 (10207 posts) -

Strip a game back enough and it'll run on anything..........but it stops being that same game.

Avatar image for Planeforger
#15 Posted by Planeforger (18025 posts) -

*** The publishers pull off technical wizardry to get The Witcher 3 working on a single cartridge on a handheld device ***

Cows: NiNtEnDo SuCkzOrS!

Avatar image for briguyb13
#16 Posted by briguyb13 (3067 posts) -

@nethernova said:
@briguyb13 said:

Being able to play modern games on the go is a treasure.

No, it's not. I can't imagine much (gaming related) that would be worse than playing The Witcher on a bus ride or something. Who would want to do that? A masterpiece you really have to put some time into and you want to play it on your way to work while dozens of people rub themselves against you. Shame on you. That's like wanting to watch a really great movie and instead of the 70 inch 4K TV you're going for a phone to experience it. Disgusting.

Get a good pair of headphones brah. Makes all the difference in the world!

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#17 Posted by Random_Matt (4146 posts) -

That is not the worst part, textures are so, so bad outside of character models, we are talking PS2 here.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#18 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18879 posts) -

You're going to pay a price for the portability... we all know that.

If you don't like it, then don't buy it. If I hadn't finished TW3 twice already, I'd definitely buy it on Switch.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#19 Edited by KBFloYd (21821 posts) -

cows upset nintendo now has arguably 2 of the best games of all time on switch with zelda breath of the wild and witcher 3?

:D

Avatar image for Ovirew
#20 Posted by Ovirew (9028 posts) -

I think it's cool that it's coming out for the Switch. I don't know if I will get it - I had it on One for a bit but hadn't really gotten into it, but it's good to know the option is there. I think a lot of other games come first for me, though.

To me being able to switch from a tv to a smaller screen is nice. It's not so much that I take it on the go, just sometimes I want to lounge around my place and not be hooked up to a big, bright tv screen, I want to take the game wherever.

I get that some gamers really like games for the high-end experience - X-enhanced graphics and such. I mean it's nice and all, but to me that's not really the main focus of gaming. You can have a game look like it's from the 360 and it's still fully playable as long as the game itself is good. And having a game of at least that quality, on a hybrid, is still pretty dang impressive.

Avatar image for davillain-
#21 Posted by DaVillain- (36572 posts) -

I would buy it again but definitely not at $60 cause witcher 3 is 4 years old and should have sold for $30. I have it on PC so I'll wait for $20. (Or maybe not)

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
#22 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25255 posts) -
@briguyb13 said:

Instead of being a fanboy douche, how about giving credit where it's due? The whole game on a small cartridge, and a game that big and amazing running on a handheld.

Being on a small cartridge is no feat. You do realize these exist, don't you? https://www.amazon.com/1024GB-Card-Cameras-Android-Smartphones/dp/B07RPF1RST/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=1tb+sd+card&qid=1560329958&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Avatar image for npiet1
#23 Posted by npiet1 (2257 posts) -

@davillain-: you'll be waiting a while, Nintendo games never really go down in price.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#24 Posted by uninspiredcup (33426 posts) -

(insert excuse to give Nintendo free pass)

Avatar image for ajuicematts
#25 Edited by AJuiceMatts (22 posts) -

Witcher 3 on a handheld.....that is freaking impressive.

Game looks pretty decent tbh.

not for me, but super cool none the less

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#26 Edited by Sevenizz (3846 posts) -

Well, they ported Halo to the 2600 so why not Witcher 3 on a Switch?

https://youtu.be/GwmuF-j3DiQ

Avatar image for davillain-
#27 Posted by DaVillain- (36572 posts) -

@npiet1 said:

@davillain-: you'll be waiting a while, Nintendo games never really go down in price.

They sure don't and by that time, we'll probably have a next-gen Nintendo console by the time it reaches $20/$30. Not like I'm missing anything since I do own Witcher 3 on PC & PS4. I just happened to love the series.

Avatar image for Epak_
#28 Posted by Epak_ (10662 posts) -

@briguyb13 said:
@XVision84 said:

@briguyb13: Handheld or not, 540p is just bad. I commend the developers for fitting the witcher 3 on such laughably weak hardware. No idea why anyone would spend their money on something so outdated.

Do you even own a Switch, or are you PS4 only? I ask because those of us who have one tend to like the portability function of the system. Being able to play modern games on the go is a treasure.

Yup, love having Doom on the go, portability goes ahead of graphics and even performance in some cases. Been wanting portable RE4 for years and now have that too, it's great!

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#29 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5720 posts) -

I'll be getting it, and from what I've seen, it looks really good. Also really good to hear everything will be on the cartridge too.

Avatar image for SOedipus
#30 Posted by SOedipus (11477 posts) -

Why is it always the people with low standards that are getting upset?

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
#31 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2667 posts) -

good for those minority who havent played the game i guess.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#32 Posted by SecretPolice (35279 posts) -

Lol Handheld Wii. :P

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#33 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36251 posts) -

All I'm seeing is Witcher 3 on Switch being the RE2 64 of it's time.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#34 Edited by xantufrog (11385 posts) -

That's petty impressive IMO. I'd give it a go if I wasn't TW3ed out right now. Started reading the books, though, and that's getting me back into the world...

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#35 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4639 posts) -

540p... dynamic!

Avatar image for FinalFighters
#36 Posted by FinalFighters (3189 posts) -

anybody who's playing this game for the first time on a nintendo switch should get kicked in the groin

Avatar image for nepu7supastar7
#37 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5093 posts) -

@XVision84:

540p 20 fps for $60. Simply, amazing.

Avatar image for 2mrw
#38 Posted by 2mrw (5863 posts) -

Thats really sub par even by console standards

And the worst part is, game is not gonna sell, what's the point?

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#39 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31020 posts) -

Playing the game at the moment at 1080p, 60fps and ultra settings. Game looks absolutely stunning for a 2015 release.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#40 Posted by drummerdave9099 (4093 posts) -

All the salt in here is more than enough for next winter ;)

Avatar image for zmanbarzel
#41 Posted by ZmanBarzel (1879 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

All I'm seeing is Witcher 3 on Switch being the RE2 64 of it's time.

I hadn't thought of that, but, yeah, that sums up my feelings regarding this. While there's no way in hell I'm going to bother actually buying "Witcher 3" on Switch, I'm fascinated by the thought experiment of getting a game like this on questionable hardware -- either graphically or storage -- in a shape even resembling the original.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#42 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

People said this was impossible.

And yet, here it is.

Also CD Project Red are calling it THE SWITCHER on their website, and that's amazing.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#43 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@drummerdave9099 said:

All the salt in here is more than enough for next winter ;)

I would be salty too if the console i said would fail, didn't, and then the console I said could never get witcher 3, did.

I would hate being so wrong all the time.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#44 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@FinalFighters said:

anybody who's playing this game for the first time on a nintendo switch should get kicked in the groin

I really hope you didn't play it on the inferior PS4. I really hope you played it on a high end PC at max settings with this kind of talk.

Also.

Come at me bro.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#45 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

All I'm seeing is Witcher 3 on Switch being the RE2 64 of it's time.

A little blurry but alot smoother.

It was a pretty rad port.

Avatar image for adsparky
#46 Posted by adsparky (1385 posts) -

I'm amazed by the fact that all the game is in the cartridge.

Avatar image for FinalFighters
#47 Posted by FinalFighters (3189 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@FinalFighters said:

anybody who's playing this game for the first time on a nintendo switch should get kicked in the groin

I really hope you didn't play it on the inferior PS4. I really hope you played it on a high end PC at max settings with this kind of talk.

Also.

Come at me bro.

played it on a ultrawide monitor - 1440p / 60fps

and i only paid $20 for the GOTY edition.

How much will this POS edition cost? $60 lol

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#48 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29011 posts) -

@FinalFighters said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@FinalFighters said:

anybody who's playing this game for the first time on a nintendo switch should get kicked in the groin

I really hope you didn't play it on the inferior PS4. I really hope you played it on a high end PC at max settings with this kind of talk.

Also.

Come at me bro.

played it on a ultrawide monitor - 1440p / 60fps

and i only paid $20 for the GOTY edition.

How much will this POS edition cost? $60 lol

Why are you so mad.

Preordered my copy. Switcher on the train, switcher in my bed, switcher at the laundromat. It's a good life.

Avatar image for pdogg93
#49 Posted by pdogg93 (1573 posts) -

lolswitch

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#50 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19685 posts) -

@XVision84: way to clickbait your topic title