The Wii's future -- why I'm not so certain it's guaranteed to be bright

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

1.You obviously haven't played the real WQii games or you would understand how stupid you sound.

2. SMG is the highest rated game of all time and Twilight Princess got 95 on average. Nuff said.

3. Then don't buy them.

Udsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 Udsen
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

Welcome to System Wars.

I disagree with some points but overall a good read.

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts
[QUOTE="sparkypants"]

I have a question for the Wii fanboys, what is the point of getting a Wii if you arent going to use the motion control to it fullest, I mean your only response is we can just sit on the couch and flick our rist, well then whats the POINT!?!?!?!? Im mean it may just be me but it sounds like that defeats the purpose. I mean if your just going o sit on the couch and flick your wrist why not just get a controller?

Cyber-

Because now games are getting to the point where its more than merely pressing a. NOw you can decide which way or how hard the action is performed once you press A. The games are slowing gravitating towards this and if you cant see the immense advantage to that then you should not be gaming. Of course there is gonna be alot of failure, do you remember some of the crap control that was used for the analog stick with the N64 and the PS1 most games still used the D-Pad because devs hadnt found a good balance. The Wii has only been out for a year and its control advancement is much larger than the analog and people like you already claim it fails. Besides that give me a console game that controls as precise as MoH2?

"The games are slowing gravitating towards this and if you cant see the immense advantage to that then you should not be gaming"

...I take offense to this. there was no need for an attack I was just asking whats the point, or rather what makes the Wiimote better in its idea than SIXAXIS if all your going to do is sit on the couch and flick your wrist rather than get into it? To me it defeats the purpose. It was just a question.

sps9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 sps9
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

You know what worries me? They are porting over those CATZ and DOGZ games from the DS to the Wii.

Nintendo..control the content on your console darn it!

Mega_Man_ZXN

Which brings me back to the point of the game being flooded with mostly mediocre games. I mean, I know the PS3 still doesn't have a HUGE library of must-haves, but even it has some very good stuff, and I've got 4 solid games for it (3 exclusive, 1 non). When I look at the Wii selection at the store, I think, "Meh, 3rd-party crap rushed out to make a buck" and "First-party titles that might be fun but feature 20-year-old mascots"

Yeah because god knows you can't enjoy a game if the characters have been in another game before.

Guess what - Transformers were out 20 years ago. Did you like the Transformers movie? If you did, you are a hypocrite.

Same with Spiderman.

Seriously, grow up

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyber-"]

BECAUSE ITS NOT JUST MOTION ITS THE IR!

sparkypants

IR?

you mean interactive response?(just guessing)

what do you mean by this?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#56 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

that was pretty good TC, but there are a few things I have issue with:

remember that the wiimote also has a cursor pointer. It is basically the closest way a console could duplicate mouse controls and all consoles in the future will carry this feature. Seriously, you can do things with the cursor in wii games that put the consoles to shame.

smg has very little motion sensing (plenty of cursor though), and none of this "arm waving" I think (haven't quite beaten it yet)

Wiisports uses arm waving motion sensing exclusivley and I would classifythat gameas a killer ap and a system seller

Logic dictates that tech only gets used better over a gen. This is most obvious in how later games in a gen tend to be much prettier and more ambitious than previous games. So i'm sure that motion sensing will be used less as a gimmick. Zack and Wiki is a third party game and it uses motion sensing pretty well. That game will be a model for future games and will be improved upon. I want to see how no more heroes handles it as well

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#57 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[QUOTE="sparkypants"][QUOTE="Cyber-"]

BECAUSE ITS NOT JUST MOTION ITS THE IR!

sparkypants

IR?

you mean interactive response?(just guessing)

what do you mean by this?

he means infrared (pointer)
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
All valid points... however, even if the Wii doesn't get any good games (which it definitely is starting to) it'll still keep selling fairly well; it's nowhere near market saturation.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="sparkypants"]

I have a question for the Wii fanboys, what is the point of getting a Wii if you arent going to use the motion control to it fullest, I mean your only response is we can just sit on the couch and flick our rist, well then whats the POINT!?!?!?!? Im mean it may just be me but it sounds like that defeats the purpose. I mean if your just going o sit on the couch and flick your wrist why not just get a controller?

sparkypants

Because now games are getting to the point where its more than merely pressing a. NOw you can decide which way or how hard the action is performed once you press A. The games are slowing gravitating towards this and if you cant see the immense advantage to that then you should not be gaming. Of course there is gonna be alot of failure, do you remember some of the crap control that was used for the analog stick with the N64 and the PS1 most games still used the D-Pad because devs hadnt found a good balance. The Wii has only been out for a year and its control advancement is much larger than the analog and people like you already claim it fails. Besides that give me a console game that controls as precise as MoH2?

"The games are slowing gravitating towards this and if you cant see the immense advantage to that then you should not be gaming"

...I take offense to this. there was no need for an attack I was just asking whats the point, or rather what makes the Wiimote better in its idea than SIXAXIS if all your going to do is sit on the couch and flick your wrist rather than get into it? To me it defeats the purpose. It was just a question.

You can make anything sound pointless with the way your saying it. The very fact that your placing the sixaxis failed tilt sensor to the IR and motion sensing of the Wiimote shows you lack knowledge on this issue. Once again, instead of merely pressing A and the action autoaims toward your target is slowly becoming obsolete on Wii. Im sorry but if you cant see the advantages to being able to decide which enemy to hit in a group of people rather then it deciding for you or having amazing precise accuracy over a sniper shot in MoH2 then were done talking.

Mega_Man_ZXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Mega_Man_ZXN
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Mega_Man_ZXN"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

You know what worries me? They are porting over those CATZ and DOGZ games from the DS to the Wii.

sps9

Which brings me back to the point of the game being flooded with mostly mediocre games. I mean, I know the PS3 still doesn't have a HUGE library of must-haves, but even it has some very good stuff, and I've got 4 solid games for it (3 exclusive, 1 non). When I look at the Wii selection at the store, I think, "Meh, 3rd-party crap rushed out to make a buck" and "First-party titles that might be fun but feature 20-year-old mascots"

Yeah because god knows you can't enjoy a game if the characters have been in another game before.

Guess what - Transformers were out 20 years ago. Did you like the Transformers movie? If you did, you are a hypocrite.

Same with Spiderman.

Seriously, grow up

Right, because the Transformers movie was pretty much the same thing as G1. *Rolls eyes* In case you haven't noticed, Transformers actually reinvented itself a number of times, such as Beast Wars in the '90s, which really wasn't anything like the original, and not just because the characters turned into animals. But unless I'm wrong, the Nintendo franchises use the same storylines and plot devices over and over. Sure, there's always Optimus and Megatron as there are Link and Ganon, but one uses at least somewhat varied plots while the other more or less always defaults to "Ganon is threatening the kingdom and kidnapped the Princess". And Mario also has to save the Princess. I can't tell you how much I hate "Save the Princess!" stories, because in 20 years of progression where more and more female characters are becoming bad-asses who can handle themselves (see: Resident Evil, the women in Metal Gear [even though they aren't playable, they can still handle themselves for the most part], etc. for examples of this), we have Nintendo publish a title where the women are helpless and need to be saved by a MAN (Metroid is the exception to this, obviously). Let's hear it for progress.

Yuri_Volte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Yuri_Volte
Member since 2005 • 698 Posts

Waving your arms around is just an exaggeration (except maybe in WarioWare's case), you only have to move your wrist. It's not tiring at all.

If you don't like the games now, just wait for something you do like to come out. I mean look at the DS's position a year after it launched. It was selling great, but it didn't have too many games to pick from, mostly 3rd party crap. Now it's a juggernaut for games, superb, great, or good.

I won't discuss one thing you brought up in point three because you can be moderated for talking about it. However, if you don't want them, just don't get them.

nyoroism
actually about the DS show me this year launches AAA and AA and if them are superior in average and in number to the PSP , i think not :S , DS have a lot of games but no a lot of great games...
sps9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 sps9
[QUOTE="sps9"][QUOTE="Mega_Man_ZXN"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

Mega_Man_ZXN

Same with Spiderman.

Seriously, grow up

Right, because the Transformers movie was pretty much the same thing as G1. *Rolls eyes* In case you haven't noticed, Transformers actually reinvented itself a number of times, such as Beast Wars in the '90s, which really wasn't anything like the original, and not just because the characters turned into animals. But unless I'm wrong, the Nintendo franchises use the same storylines and plot devices over and over. Sure, there's always Optimus and Megatron as there are Link and Ganon, but one uses at least somewhat varied plots while the other more or less always defaults to "Ganon is threatening the kingdom and kidnapped the Princess". And Mario also has to save the Princess. I can't tell you how much I hate "Save the Princess!" stories, because in 20 years of progression where more and more female characters are becoming bad-asses who can handle themselves (see: Resident Evil, the women in Metal Gear [even though they aren't playable, they can still handle themselves for the most part], etc. for examples of this), we have Nintendo publish a title where the women are helpless and need to be saved by a MAN (Metroid is the exception to this, obviously). Let's hear it for progress.

That's your problem with Mario? The plot? Seriously?

Your problem with the Wii is that you think the plot of Mario is sexist?

I'm literally laughing out loud right now at how far you are reaching to find an excuse to hate the Wii

And if you don't see how Mario 64 reinvented Mario from the 2d era and how SMG reinvents the 3d platformer for the modern era then I'm afraid you don't understand what 'reinvention' is.

darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts

my responce in a similar thread:

Warioware, Rayman, Zack & Wiki, MP3:C, SMG, MoH:H2, RE4:Awesome Edition, Madden 08 would not be the same games without the Wiimote, and all the games I just listed are AAA-AA. The Wii is great as both a primary console (me), or as a supplement to the PS3 or 360 for the "hardcore, big-boy" gamers.

darkIink

I think I'll sig this for all the trolls like you to read in every one of my posts.

Mega_Man_ZXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Mega_Man_ZXN
To me, a good story in a game is important. Give me a REASON to keep playing.

sps9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sps9

How about because the first level was fun and chances are the second one will be too?

Forget gaming, sounds like you need a library card son

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#67 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26096 Posts

It's a worthy system worthy of your money.

But even with that it has a LONG way to go before it reaches it's ultimate climax (1:1 motion sensing)

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#68 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26096 Posts
To me, a good story in a game is important. Give me a REASON to keep playing.

Mega_Man_ZXN

There is a reason. IT'S CALLED FUN.

Mega_Man_ZXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Mega_Man_ZXN

How about because the first level was fun and chances are the second one will be too?

Forget gaming, sounds like you need a library card son

sps9

If plot didn't matter, we'd all still be playing Battletoads or somesuch. (I kid) But seriously, plot can be important, like in an RPG. Or even an action game, like MGS. Plot IS important, and one thing I love about great single-player experiences is finding out the twists and big revelations later in the story.

OregonTrailing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 OregonTrailing
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

It hasn't lived up to itself or all the early hype, I know. Its just tacky.

But your going to get eaten alive by the fanboys :(

tomarlyn

When you and the TC are the only ones attacking the Wii, I think that makes YOU the fanboy. :(

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#71 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

As soon as you find a copy of SOR3 for $8 contact me, seriously. I'm always more happy to have the real copy of the game, but most of their prices are actually pretty fair.

As far as innovation goes, I agree, but I see a fair amount of chance that it could become the 'new' Old school system, with arcade games coming to it left and right. I miss the old arcade shooters and beat em' ups so I hope that happens.

The only thing that angers me is the whole "NO HD" thing, ticks me off. I mean really it looks better on an SDTV then it does on an HDTV

Mega_Man_ZXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Mega_Man_ZXN
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

It hasn't lived up to itself or all the early hype, I know. Its just tacky.

But your going to get eaten alive by the fanboys :(

OregonTrailing

When you and the TC are the only ones attacking the Wii, I think that makes YOU the fanboy. :(

If I was attacking the Wii, I'd be using the Wiimote to bash the console into nothing. :)

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts
I like your account name, TC. :D
Mega_Man_ZXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Mega_Man_ZXN

I like your account name, TC. :DX_CAPCOM_X

Yes, Capcom fan 4 life, brudda. Bionic Commando looks sweet even though there was like all of 4 or 5 preview pics.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

When I play with the Wii controller it feels to loose when I play a racing game. And Mario Galaxy at times has my wrist and arms hurting for holding my arms out to collect far away star bits and shaking the Wii-mote for Mario to do the spin. The Wii is okay, but thank goodness in Brawl they allow for the gamecube controllers to be used because I would feel cheated without the gamecube controllers. shadowfox55

Is there something wrong with your anatomy?

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts
God i hate forum noobs... Next time lurk a little more before posting. Seriously i waited till i was lvl 8 to make my first post.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="Mega_Man_ZXN"]To me, a good story in a game is important. Give me a REASON to keep playing.

Willy105

If you only keep playing the game to see what comes next in the story, than it's failed as a game, and has become a chore.

Shadow2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78 Shadow2k6
Member since 2005 • 2283 Posts
[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Mega_Man_ZXN"]To me, a good story in a game is important. Give me a REASON to keep playing.

Tylendal

If you only keep playing the game to see what comes next in the story, than it's failed as a game, and has become a chore.

:|

Then I guess most RPGs fail as a game since the main draw point is the story.

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts
[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Mega_Man_ZXN"]To me, a good story in a game is important. Give me a REASON to keep playing.

Shadow2k6

RPGs that let only their stories carry them are the same ones that scores high 6s and low 7s.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

sparkypants

The point is that you can point (pun intended). Well, it's one point at least. What I mean is that motion is not the only thing the Wii brings to the table... there's also the pointer, which gives you functionality somewhere between a light gun and a mouse. Now if you've ever used a console browser, or played a console RTS, you'd know that analog sticks cannot give you the kind of responsiveness needed to control an on-screen cursor fluidly. The Wiimote's pointer however CAN.

There's also other little things, like being able to twist the Wiimote to turn a key lock in game. It's not a whole lot of motion, but it still adds something.

Mega_Man_ZXN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Mega_Man_ZXN
[QUOTE="Shadow2k6"][QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Mega_Man_ZXN"]To me, a good story in a game is important. Give me a REASON to keep playing.

Oscar-Wilde

RPGs that let only their stories carry them are the same ones that scores high 6s and low 7s.

Well, even with a decent combat system, if the story is made of suck and fail, it's a disappointment in my eyes. In the case of FFXII, the pacing was terrible IMO, and the story was sub-standard for an FF, and even if the gameplay had its merits it had some failings to. But that's just what I thought of it. But it got a lot of high scores just because of the FF brand name.