The Wii is not an innovation. Don't make me laugh.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

So I own a Nintendo Wii.  It's a fun console and the games are great.  I get a lot of playtime out of it, and overall it's a decent machine.  But here's the thing:

It isn't an innovation.

I hear all of the Sheep talking here, telling me about how motion sensing is such a groundbreaking idea in gaming and how Nintendo is pioneering player involvement in video games.  And with all of that hype from the fans, I bought a Wii, along with Super Mario Galaxy.  When I picked mine up, I thought I'd try out Wii Sports first, since I'm a big tennis enthusiast.  So I made a goofy Mii and played against the computer in a doubles game (I wish you could do singles) and tried to incorporate a swift forehand and backhand into my gameplay.  I found that I was missing the ball more and more, so I attempte to adjust my sensor bar directly above my TV and try again.  Still, my attempts to bring my actual tennis play into the game failed.  Then my brother comes up, takes the remote, and tells me that I shouldn't try to be so involved in the game.  He started playing and just barely moved his hand, flicking his wrist a little as the ball came close to him.  I found he was hitting it dead on and winning every round.  I was speechless: this was innovation?  Flicking your wrist rather than actually mimic the movements exactly?  

So I moved on to Super Mario Galaxy.  It was fun at first: I was jumping around, spinning Mario around by shaking the remote, and... Wait.  "Shaking" the remote. To spin Mario around.  So that was the level of the involvement of the motion sensing in this game: waggling the remote to spin Mario around.  I remember the hype for the game way back when: people said you'd be flicking the remote up to make Mario jump, tossing fireballs by actually having to make Mario throw his arm back and pitch like a baseball pitcher.  And instead I get what could be done just as good, if not better, on the PS3 or Xbox 360.  I didn't see what made this game so exclusive to the Wii control-wise, and by now I was definitely disillusioned by the promises of innovation that Nintendo was selling the Wii on.  But hey, the games were still fun, so I kept on playing.  

I now own Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, and these games don't incorporate motion sensing effectively either (besides aiming to shoot in RE4, which is fun, but that's really the maximum level of motion sensing in the game).  Brawl doesn't use it at all, and RE4 just replaced the button-mashing minigames with remote-shaking minigames, and the knife fights now use waggle (which are optional; you don't have to shake the remote to use the knife).  

So this is what I'm getting from the Wii: a system that has graphics inferior to the competition with a tacked-on motion sensing feature for its games.  As for the games, yes, they are fun, but I don't see how most of the killer titles can't be done on the 360 or PS3.  It seems to be such a downer to know that the Wii doesn't really deliver on those promises of being able to swing Link's sword or make Mario jump, and instead gives us some lame waggle feature that requires little input from the player.  

Sheep, your console has some good games on it, but you don't have anything innovative here.  If anything, the motion sensing is a letdown, and I'd rather take improved graphics and better online over a tacked-on feature anyday.

black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
*cocks shotgun* "you wanna take this outside" anyways so I don't get modded for disruptive posting, I think maybe you were just expecting to much
Nintendoguy325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Nintendoguy325
Member since 2008 • 463 Posts

Perhaps you should try WarioWare? It has all the motion controls you could ever ask for.

Or Metroid Prime 3? Nice shooter, aiming is accurate, using the remote is to interact with certain obstacle works.

You just need to find the right game, pal. Even us Nintendo devouts admit not every Wii game works.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 princeofshapeir
I was expecting what everybody else was expecting, and that was intuitive controls where I would mimic the movement on screen exactly. Instead I got wrist-shaking.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts
If you say it isn't innovative, I certainly won't argue. I'm just glad that a console has finally implemented a pointer device. It's about time that was done.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 princeofshapeir

Perhaps you should try WarioWare? It has all the motion controls you could ever ask for.

Or Metroid Prime 3? Nice shooter, aiming is accurate, using the remote is to interact with certain obstacle works.

You just need to find the right game, pal. Even us Nintendo devouts admit not every Wii game works.

Nintendoguy325
Okay, but how do you explain Galaxy? Motion sensing isn't used perfectly. The ball rolling and ray surfing levels are only four out of many.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
I dont know I found it very innovative
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"][QUOTE="Nintendoguy325"]

Okay, but how do you explain Galaxy? Motion sensing isn't used perfectly. The ball rolling and ray surfing levels are only four out of many.

I don't know what you wanted out of Galaxy, but I thought it played extremely well. Could it have been done on another console? Most aspects of it could have been. But I'd rather have that kind of a situation than developers try to tack on motion controls where they don't fit well.
GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts
[QUOTE="Nintendoguy325"]

princeofshapeir

Would you want all of Galaxy to be ball rolling or Ray surfing? If so then play Super Monkey Ball... Anyway which is better, rapidly hit X to shoot off into space, or how about flick your wrist to fly off into space... I know which one would work better IMO.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Although I have to admit that the Wii-mote is flawed, it is a step in the right direction, and definitely more innovative than improved graphics and better online, both features that have been around since last gen. I would rather play a shooter on the Wii than the 360 or the PS3 if I had to choose between a console for shooting games, mainly because once you play a shooter with a Wii-mote, there's no way you're going back to Dual Analogs, kind of how you would appreciate Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, but would never be able to enjoy it because how awkward the controls are. Nice try, though, although your credibility is seriously in doubt once I saw your sig.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Although I have to admit that the Wii-mote is flawed, it is a step in the right direction, and definitely more innovative than improved graphics and better online, both features that have been around since last gen. I would rather play a shooter on the Wii than the 360 or the PS3 if I had to choose between a console for shooting games, mainly because once you play a shooter with a Wii-mote, there's no way you're going back to Dual Analogs, kind of how you would appreciate Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, but would never be able to enjoy it because how awkward the controls are. Nice try, though, although your credibility is seriously in doubt once I saw your sig.

I'm a little disturbed when I read the posts of anyone with the Fallacy of Casual Gaming link in their sig, they seem to be like some new religion out to defend Nintendo, and the Wii moreso then by usual means. Just about every poster that's part of it seems incredibly elitist, just like the tone of the Fallacy of Casual Gaming article, which I actually sat down and read once to see what it what it was all about, and I don't see its worth in the slightest.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
come back and say that after WMP.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Although I have to admit that the Wii-mote is flawed, it is a step in the right direction, and definitely more innovative than improved graphics and better online, both features that have been around since last gen. I would rather play a shooter on the Wii than the 360 or the PS3 if I had to choose between a console for shooting games, mainly because once you play a shooter with a Wii-mote, there's no way you're going back to Dual Analogs, kind of how you would appreciate Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, but would never be able to enjoy it because how awkward the controls are. Nice try, though, although your credibility is seriously in doubt once I saw your sig.

I'm a little disturbed when I read the posts of anyone with the Fallacy of Casual Gaming link in their sig, they seem to be like some new religion out to defend Nintendo, and the Wii moreso then by usual means. Just about every poster that's part of it seems incredibly elitist, just like the tone of the Fallacy of Casual Gaming article, which I actually sat down and read once to see what it what it was all about, and I don't see its worth in the slightest.

I appreciate your concern, just to clarify for you, I only had the Fallacy of Casual Gaming only as a way to enlighten people on what the Wii is actually trying to do, and no, I do not consider it elitist by any means, although it's perfectly understandable why you might think that way. However, the only reason why I'm trying to defend Nintendo is because of the disturbing amount of so called "hardcore gamers" bashing Nintendo simply for being different. If you think that I'm elitist, I'm just a gamer who just happen to appreciate what the Wii is bringing to the table, and felt that the Wii is the breath of fresh air that the gaming industry desperately needs when developing costs are going way up and the only way to sell a game is if it's heavily advertised and is a FPS, RTS, RPG, or Action.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Although I have to admit that the Wii-mote is flawed, it is a step in the right direction, and definitely more innovative than improved graphics and better online, both features that have been around since last gen. I would rather play a shooter on the Wii than the 360 or the PS3 if I had to choose between a console for shooting games, mainly because once you play a shooter with a Wii-mote, there's no way you're going back to Dual Analogs, kind of how you would appreciate Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, but would never be able to enjoy it because how awkward the controls are. Nice try, though, although your credibility is seriously in doubt once I saw your sig.

that article was spot on. what are you talking about?
mylsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 mylsd
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts
I kinda agree with the topic creator, the level of innovation was not up to my expectations, but the innovation is still there and I believe with Wii Motion Plus next year my expectations will finally be met, a little crappy it happens over 2 years later, but only a little. Wii Sports can feel realistic as well, you don't have to do tiny flicks, but to go all out into a Pro Tennis heavy swing is unrealistic for us non-athletic type to do, there has to a middle ground in order for all to enjoy, and there are plenty of good games that used motion control well, but like the DS showed us not every game has to center around one feature.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Blog it.
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts
Although I have to admit that the Wii-mote is flawed, it is a step in the right direction, and definitely more innovative than improved graphics and better online, both features that have been around since last gen. I would rather play a shooter on the Wii than the 360 or the PS3 if I had to choose between a console for shooting games, mainly because once you play a shooter with a Wii-mote, there's no way you're going back to Dual Analogs, kind of how you would appreciate Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, but would never be able to enjoy it because how awkward the controls are. Nice try, though, although your credibility is seriously in doubt once I saw your sig.hiphops_savior
Because he plays one of best games ever created,which original won GOTY?
Avatar image for RaidensTechSupp
RaidensTechSupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RaidensTechSupp
Member since 2008 • 85 Posts
I was expecting what everybody else was expecting, and that was intuitive controls where I would mimic the movement on screen exactly. Instead I got wrist-shaking.princeofshapeir
Although in theory we'd all like to see this interface, in practice it would be unconventional if not awkward. I think Nintendo realised somewhere down the track that physical stimuli like shaking (and a whole lot of shaking there is) gives a very similar response to the player as acutally performing a complicated and possibly frustrating motion - have you ever tried blocking a punch in wii boxing as you would in real life? Consider that slasing the wii remote on LOZTP, you can slash it in any direction and it does the same thing. But you still percieve this motion as effective and entertaing because you conscieously acknowledge tht your movements are getting the results you want. How long this fools you is dependent on how much you care to aknowledge its bogus.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Innovation is something that is new. motion controls are not new, but the Wii perfected the idea of motion controls to a very large extent. I dont know what ur talking about the controls work fine for me. Your expectations are a bit high. Motion technology has a long way to go. The only thing that i can think of right now that accuratly imitates a users motion are those huge mats with a jumpsuit with wires attached that are used to animate 3d characters bones or skeletons. heard that those cost 20,000 dollars.

ollars.

caligamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 caligamer
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

So I own a Nintendo Wii. It's a fun console and the games are great. I get a lot of playtime out of it, and overall it's a decent machine. But here's the thing:

It isn't an innovation.

I hear all of the Sheep talking here, telling me about how motion sensing is such a groundbreaking idea in gaming and how Nintendo is pioneering player involvement in video games. And with all of that hype from the fans, I bought a Wii, along with Super Mario Galaxy. When I picked mine up, I thought I'd try out Wii Sports first, since I'm a big tennis enthusiast. So I made a goofy Mii and played against the computer in a doubles game (I wish you could do singles) and tried to incorporate a swift forehand and backhand into my gameplay. I found that I was missing the ball more and more, so I attempte to adjust my sensor bar directly above my TV and try again. Still, my attempts to bring my actual tennis play into the game failed. Then my brother comes up, takes the remote, and tells me that I shouldn't try to be so involved in the game. He started playing and just barely moved his hand, flicking his wrist a little as the ball came close to him. I found he was hitting it dead on and winning every round. I was speechless: this was innovation? Flicking your wrist rather than actually mimic the movements exactly?

So I moved on to Super Mario Galaxy. It was fun at first: I was jumping around, spinning Mario around by shaking the remote, and... Wait. "Shaking" the remote. To spin Mario around. So that was the level of the involvement of the motion sensing in this game: waggling the remote to spin Mario around. I remember the hype for the game way back when: people said you'd be flicking the remote up to make Mario jump, tossing fireballs by actually having to make Mario throw his arm back and pitch like a baseball pitcher. And instead I get what could be done just as good, if not better, on the PS3 or Xbox 360. I didn't see what made this game so exclusive to the Wii control-wise, and by now I was definitely disillusioned by the promises of innovation that Nintendo was selling the Wii on. But hey, the games were still fun, so I kept on playing.

I now own Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, and these games don't incorporate motion sensing effectively either (besides aiming to shoot in RE4, which is fun, but that's really the maximum level of motion sensing in the game). Brawl doesn't use it at all, and RE4 just replaced the button-mashing minigames with remote-shaking minigames, and the knife fights now use waggle (which are optional; you don't have to shake the remote to use the knife).

So this is what I'm getting from the Wii: a system that has graphics inferior to the competition with a tacked-on motion sensing feature for its games. As for the games, yes, they are fun, but I don't see how most of the killer titles can't be done on the 360 or PS3. It seems to be such a downer to know that the Wii doesn't really deliver on those promises of being able to swing Link's sword or make Mario jump, and instead gives us some lame waggle feature that requires little input from the player.

Sheep, your console has some good games on it, but you don't have anything innovative here. If anything, the motion sensing is a letdown, and I'd rather take improved graphics and better online over a tacked-on feature anyday.

princeofshapeir

I really disagree the Wii is HIGHLY INNOVATIVE but not really perfected

kinda like how the first light bulb only lasted a couple seconds before it burnt out...the first light bulb was highly innovative but not perfect

you could say the same thing about almost anything the first tv, the first phone, first computer, they are all innovative ideas but take time to perfect

i expect the next console to be more realistic so that the movements require more than a flick of the wrist

caligamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 caligamer
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

Innovation is something that is new. motion controls are not new, but the Wii perfected the idea of motion controls to a very large extent. I dont know what ur talking about the controls work fine for me. Your expectations are a bit high. Motion technology has a long way to go. The only thing that i can think of right now that accuratly imitates a users motion are those huge mats with a jumpsuit with wires attached that are used to animate 3d characters bones or skeletons. heard that those cost 20,000 dollars.

painguy1

the controls work fine but i think hes means how most games can be played sitting down and just flicking your wrist and litterally not moving you arm at all

im actually better in tennis and most other games sitting down rather than standing and trying to do a full swing of the arm

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

Wii is not an innovation it's a revolution and an un-stoppable sales phenomenon. Wii is, in short, a juggernaut. The Wii controller is an innovation...

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts
yeah i guess there many ways to take it.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

Try playing Trauma Center or Warioware on a D-pad ;)

It is an innovation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I beat LoZ: TP with nothing more than wagging the remote at the screen. Brilliant motion sensing. I agree with the TS, there still needs to be a lot of work with this "innovation". It feels like Nintendo brainwashed us when we saw the controller move and something on the screen move at the same time. God this generation has sucked so far.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes but the best selling system argues
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
it is not innovation at all. i agree. once you get past 3-4 games, adding waggle to gamecube games gets really really old.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts
Technically, the Wii is innovative, because other console manufacturers are putting elements from it into their console. Sony added a tilt sensor to their PS3 controller just months after the Wiimote was unveiled in TGS 2005. Microsoft has started a huge campaign to sell the Xbox 360 to casuals, and they have introduced to their system the Avatar, based on the success the feature had on the Wii. Even Sonic Unleashed borrows elements from Super Mario Galaxy, (3D to 2D, music). The Wii is an innovation, there's plenty of proof.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

so in short graphics are the most important thing in the world blah blah

i didnt even read your OP btw 

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts
i got all 3 systems and i gotta admit graphics > wii mote that little waggle you do is not cool you could of just as easily pushed a button to do the same thing. and mario galaxy while its an excellent game could of been done better on the ps3 and 360 imagine it in full 1080p:o
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 farnham
i got all 3 systems and i gotta admit graphics > wii mote that little waggle you do is not cool you could of just as easily pushed a button to do the same thing. and mario galaxy while its an excellent game could of been done better on the ps3 and 360 imagine it in full 1080p:orogelio22
mario galaxy maybe but wii sports never i have both segas excellent virtua tennis 3 and wii sports tennis and i never ever touched virtua tennis 3 after i played the initial 20 hours wii sports gets a lot of love almost every week..
rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rogelio22
sorry to put it this way but WII SPORTS SUCKS if i wanted to play sports ill go outside and play them!!!
2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#35 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts
Even if it is just wiggling, it's new, and that's called innovation.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
By definition, innovation means bringing something new to the table which the Wii did with their motion sensing stuff. I don't plan on buying one myself, but the fact that Nintendo was able to incorporate that technology into a gaming console, something the PS3 sucks at and the 360 can't do (unless I'm mistaken), is very impressive. Face it; the Wii's motion sensing capability added a whole new dimension to playing videogames.
rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rogelio22
so by your definition innovation is bringing something new to the table so theat means 360 and ps3 are also innovation they both brought hd gaming to consoles:P
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
so by your definition innovation is bringing something new to the table so theat means 360 and ps3 are also innovation they both brought hd gaming to consoles:Progelio22
Well... yeah. I guess they are.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 farnham
so by your definition innovation is bringing something new to the table so theat means 360 and ps3 are also innovation they both brought hd gaming to consoles:Progelio22
HD is nothing then the same thing just with higher definition you could call it innovation in a very techical sense. but i see it as a very natural evolution.. its not as radical as the controll concept of the wii thats for sure
rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rogelio22
well to each his own but i prefer hd over waggle its hard going back to sd after playing long hours of R2 or gears :o
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Although I have to admit that the Wii-mote is flawed, it is a step in the right direction, and definitely more innovative than improved graphics and better online, both features that have been around since last gen. I would rather play a shooter on the Wii than the 360 or the PS3 if I had to choose between a console for shooting games, mainly because once you play a shooter with a Wii-mote, there's no way you're going back to Dual Analogs, kind of how you would appreciate Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, but would never be able to enjoy it because how awkward the controls are. Nice try, though, although your credibility is seriously in doubt once I saw your sig.

Oh noes, I like a game that's on the PC. Run for the hills!
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#42 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
By definition, an innovation is the following: The term innovation means a new way of doing something. It may refer to incremental, radical, and revolutionary changes in thinking, products, processes, or organizations Therefore, you lose.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="Willy105"]Technically, the Wii is innovative, because other console manufacturers are putting elements from it into their console. Sony added a tilt sensor to their PS3 controller just months after the Wiimote was unveiled in TGS 2005. Microsoft has started a huge campaign to sell the Xbox 360 to casuals, and they have introduced to their system the Avatar, based on the success the feature had on the Wii. Even Sonic Unleashed borrows elements from Super Mario Galaxy, (3D to 2D, music). The Wii is an innovation, there's plenty of proof.

Sony and Microsoft followed suit only because of the hype and positive reaction from many people following the Wii's unveiling. There's no reason why games like Twilight Princess, Galaxy, Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, and other killer apps couldn't be done on the 360. All of those games use minimal motion sensing.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]By definition, an innovation is the following: The term innovation means a new way of doing something. It may refer to incremental, radical, and revolutionary changes in thinking, products, processes, or organizations Therefore, you lose.

And the Wii isn't an innovation. It's not doing something that's radically new and exciting. It's not a change from the other consoles at all. Incorporating wrist-shaking in video games doesn't revolutionize video gaming at all. The motion sensing is a cheap gimmick.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] And the Wii isn't an innovation. It's not doing something that's radically new and exciting. It's not a change from the other consoles at all. Incorporating wrist-shaking in video games doesn't revolutionize video gaming at all. The motion sensing is a cheap gimmick.

Its changing the way we think about the industry -- It hasn't made anything better or worse. Its just different. I'd hardly call it a gimmick. When motion controls are used correctly, its actually turns into a really rewarding experience -- take for example, the many ways in which Zack and Wiki use the Wiimote to its advantage. Its certainly worked for Nintendo and has given them a lot of success. The Wiimote is more than motion sensing. If anything, the pointer in the Wiimote is more important than the motion sensing itself. Don't be shocked to see Microsoft and Sony trying to replicate this success.
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 princeofshapeir
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] And the Wii isn't an innovation. It's not doing something that's radically new and exciting. It's not a change from the other consoles at all. Incorporating wrist-shaking in video games doesn't revolutionize video gaming at all. The motion sensing is a cheap gimmick.

Its changing the way we think about the industry -- It hasn't made anything better or worse. Its just different. I'd hardly call it a gimmick. When motion controls are used correctly, its actually turns into a really rewarding experience -- take for example, the many ways in which Zack and Wiki use the Wiimote to its advantage. Its certainly worked for Nintendo and has given them a lot of success. The Wiimote is more than motion sensing. If anything, the pointer in the Wiimote is more important than the motion sensing itself. Don't be shocked to see Microsoft and Sony trying to replicate this success.

The pointer isn't such a groundbreaking feature. Honestly, I'd prefer an analog stick or a mouse over a pointer that is overly sensitive.
VirtuaCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VirtuaCast
Member since 2008 • 840 Posts
It's not just innovation it's successful innovation, from a business point of view
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 princeofshapeir
It's not just innovation it's successful innovation, from a business point of viewVirtuaCast
Only because Nintendo can paint a Gamecube white and tell people that they'll get healthy and fit from shaking their wrists.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"] The pointer isn't such a groundbreaking feature. Honestly, I'd prefer an analog stick or a mouse over a pointer that is overly sensitive.

I'm not talking about for FPS. Games like World of Goo or Boom Blox benefit extremely from the device.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

You're 2 years late.

At the moment though it's only been good for point and click, and FPS's. I guess the feeling I got from it when my brother had his was that it felt like an arcade in my house. (he had a few on the rail shooters)

Metroid Prime 3 made the Wii's controls awesome.

It's a good console to have with another console, e.g. 360 and Wii.