The War for Next Gen has Officially started! Who's going to win!?

• 64 results
Posted by loco145 (12126 posts) 2 months, 1 day ago

Poll: The War for Next Gen has Officially started! Who's going to win!? (42 votes)

Google's Stadia 48%
Apple Arcade 5%
Amazon Premium 10%
Netflix Interactive 7%
Epic Games Store 31%

Only added the ones who have a chance.

#1 Posted by Pedro (34041 posts) -

How the F&*# is a freaking store next gen?

#2 Posted by loco145 (12126 posts) -

@Pedro: We are entering the service era.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
#3 Edited by deactivated-5cd08b1605da1 (9317 posts) -

Ugh

call me a granpa or old school but I'm still all for the home console and physical games in my room. I'll never support a subscription when it comes to gaming. If that is what the future holds then I'll keep being stuck in the past, thank u

#4 Edited by mazuiface (829 posts) -

I love this thread already lmao. I hate the direction that these companies are going though. Games as a service has proven itself to gamers to give us the laziest content ever.

#5 Posted by headninjadog (740 posts) -

If Sony could get almost every PS1-PS4 game up and running on the cloud we might see Sony as a serious contender if not dominate these newcomers.

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (32830 posts) -

Usually when next-gen comes, it's less excitement about games are more wondering what seedy shit they will try pull.

#7 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2316 posts) -

Ugh. None of the above.

#8 Edited by pyro1245 (4929 posts) -

I like this new definition of 'generation'

Console gen 8 -> 9 is just one low-tier computer to a mid-tier computer. Hell, the mid-gen refresh products might as well have been a new gen. The only difference is that gen 9 games will be locked out of gen 8 hardware, but we know damn well that with a little tweaking gen 9 games would run fine on gen 8 hardware. Lower resolution, lower detail... they're just computers - not like the old days when new gen meant fundamentally different hardware.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the streaming services work well. It will be a helluva lot more convenient than traditional console and discs. Seem like every 6 months I boot up my PS4 and it has to update or recover before I can use it. I wish these companies would quit making me buy shitty computers to play their games. I already have a computer.

Oh and I'd bet on Google or Amazon - they both have the infrastructure to handle these types of services, the others do not.

#9 Edited by Gamerno6666 (6684 posts) -

Quantic Dream should team up with Netflix and release their games exclusively in their platform.

#10 Posted by Pedro (34041 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: That graphic really tries hard to extend the same point into multiple points.

#11 Posted by adsparky (1313 posts) -

That doesn't count as a gen. But from those i say amazon.

#12 Posted by Ant_17 (12177 posts) -

Epic, cause fortnite.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (32830 posts) -

@Gamerno6666 said:

Quantic Dream should team up with Netflix and release their games exclusively in their platform.

Well, it does have the new series of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

#14 Posted by sealionact (3806 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Love the fact that literally not one thing is true on a list designed to be a negative.

#15 Posted by uninspiredcup (32830 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@uninspiredcup: Love the fact that literally not one thing is true on a list designed to be a negative.

It's not true now because they backtracked once Sony capitalized on it, otherwise they would have happily fed this slop to Xbots.

#16 Posted by sealionact (3806 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: So you're trying to post a negative about 6 year old policies that never happened, and you want brownie points for that?

Sony want you to pay, and be online 24 hrs a day for games I already bought last gen.

That happens now.

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (32830 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@uninspiredcup: So you're trying to post a negative about 6 year old policies that never happened, and you want brownie points for that?

That was their intent, they only backtracked back-tracked because, in this meme filled internet age, people were able to start taking issue with their bullshit.

Otherwise, that was 100% their intent. Which is why we should actively laugh at those still supporting this terrible company.

I already have lots of brownie points, it's wonderful.

#18 Posted by sealionact (3806 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Saying "backtracked back-tracked" doesn't get you many brownie points....

#19 Edited by uninspiredcup (32830 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@uninspiredcup: Saying "backtracked back-tracked" doesn't get you many brownie points....

Thankfully being objectively right when you were wrong does.

Which is great.

#20 Edited by warmblur (2169 posts) -

#21 Posted by sealionact (3806 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Considering none of the points on your list actually happened, and all of mine do, I'd say consistently deluded is more applicable.

#22 Posted by Bond007uk (916 posts) -

Google Stadia will be playing streamed PC games with a controller. The graphics hardware behind the scenes is pretty decent, but not 'Next Gen', not yet anyway.

Apple Arcade plays IOS games with a sub, not next gen.

Amazon Premium ???

Netflix Interactive ???

Epic Games Store - it's just another PC digital store, so what?

#23 Posted by Fedor (4646 posts) -

@sealionact: And why didn't they happen?

#24 Posted by sealionact (3806 posts) -

@fedor: Because console gamers weren't ready for it.

Sony wanted to see if ps owners would pay for ps3 games again through psnow , whilst being always online.

They did. Unbelievably.

GameShare? Always online.

Strangely, the gamers who hated the idea of always online with xbox, seem to have no problem with it on ps4 services.

#25 Posted by Fedor (4646 posts) -

@sealionact: Nice spin.

#26 Edited by uninspiredcup (32830 posts) -

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#27 Posted by storm_of_swords (2749 posts) -

If that's next gen then I quit gaming.

#28 Posted by jahnee (3983 posts) -

For all your games as a service needs, uncle Philly will do the deeds. For all your traditional quality single player times, pappa Hirai will keep you high.

#29 Posted by VFighter (4807 posts) -

None of the above but thanks for the laugh.

#30 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1415 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Ugh

call me a granpa or old school but I'm still all for the home console and physical games in my room. I'll never support a subscription when it comes to gaming. If that is what the future holds then I'll keep being stuck in the past, thank u

Yeah, I already barely watch new movies. If streaming is the future of games, I'll quit and stay in the past.

#31 Posted by Vaidream45 (1851 posts) -

Lol. Epic store!? PC is not a console buddy. Epic can’t win a console generation. The hardware is pc and we have many options. Console wars? PS5 will probably win. Who cares though. With the Switch kickin ass and so many pc games to play this console gen is still great and my pc never has a “gen”. It just keeps pushing forward.

#32 Posted by PSP107 (17443 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Ugh

Yeah get off my/our lawn.

#33 Edited by Caj1986 (281 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: your not suppose to sell ur games thou gaming corporates choose to. Look the other way. That called PIRACY, something console gamers constantly acuuse pc gamers of.

#34 Posted by Guy_Brohski (1906 posts) -

I think streaming games is okay if you're playing a single player campaign. But for fighting games, competitive shooters etc the high latency would make those games literally unplayable. Stadia will flounder.

#35 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43801 posts) -

Why isn't Valve on there? They are currently working on a streaming service iirc.

I hope they succeed for a variety of reasons, namely the fact they are still privately owned (i.e. loyal to customers, not shareholders) and game focused.

Amazon, Google, Apple, etc are just getting in it for the profit. Valve actually cares about games. Furthermore, the main advantage of the Valve solution is that it's based off of your personal cloud, so you are streaming from your own computer to another device. Best of both worlds, none of the dependency on someone else.

#36 Posted by I_P_Daily (11449 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Ugh

I agree 100%

#37 Posted by rmpumper (567 posts) -

Old games on streaming services = next gen? Are you on drugs?

#38 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30733 posts) -

If I were to make a safe bet, I'd say PC is going to win next gen.

Epic Store will be the biggest loser of the coming years because nobody likes what they are doing.

#39 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

I don't really think it'll be a competition. They're aimed at different people.

#40 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

Don't delude yourselves, Playstation will win again.

#41 Posted by sealionact (3806 posts) -

@rmpumper: Where are you getting that they will be old games? They showed Doom Eternal which hasn't even been released yet...

#42 Edited by Daredevils2k (2011 posts) -

Well here in the U.S of A. The average internet speeds is at 18.7 mbs and google states 25mbs is recommended. So I’m confused on how streaming will be the winner for the next console race. I can see it in 10 years but only if the US has everything fiber which it isn’t right now .

#43 Edited by KungfuKitten (26430 posts) -

Thanks for shopping. You haf been served.

#44 Posted by xHedon (185 posts) -

xCloud.

#45 Posted by Telekill (8411 posts) -

Well... you live up to your name loco. None of those are next gen per se. Merely services. Services are a feature of next gen... not the gen itself.

#46 Posted by Horgen (120186 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Watch them try something similar with the next gen.

#47 Edited by Retrofuture504 (34 posts) -

Xbox plus or ps5

#48 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

@Pedro said:

How the F&*# is a freaking store next gen?

#49 Posted by sonicare (56655 posts) -

@loco145 said:

@Pedro: We are entering the service era.

In that case, the Bob Kraft massage service ftw.

#50 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

Ok but really the next gen and war therefore just hasn't really started.