The truth about the ps3 error 80010514

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by micky4889 (2661 posts) -

For the past 2 days i watch as people blew this way way out of proportion say things like

"ha the ps3 has an rrod problem too :P " and

"this is the ps2 all over again"

This is not true the error has nothen to do with the hardware and is due to either a hdd problem (Sony does not make the hdd")

or faulty firmware which is due to people trying to update with a >50% connection on there wifi and it only happens to >1% of ps3s

heres a link form kotaku that explains it better: http://kotaku.com/378576/sony-dont-know-what-error-code-80010514-is-either

and heres what it says:

It's not on the scale of the dreaded (do you dare speak its name?) RROD, but lately, some attention's been focused on PS3 owners getting an error message which reads "An error occurred during the start operation. 80010514". Not as catchy as "Red Ring Of Death" then, either. Do you know what it means? I don't. The crew at GameRevolver reckon it's one of two things: a problem with your HDD, or the result of a faulty software installation. We'd now normally use this part to tell you what Sony think it is, but they haven't the foggiest, an SCEE rep telling Eurogamer "they aren't aware of this issue with the PS3". Man, those SCEE repair guys are laaaiiiddd back. That or, you know. There is no 80010514 [cue X-Files theme....]

And can you beleive people are trying to compair this to the RROD i mean thats just sad its like some lemmings are just grasping at straws

#2 Posted by micky4889 (2661 posts) -

For the past 2 days i watched as people blew this way way out of proportion saying things like

"ha the ps3 has an rrod problem too :P " and

"this is the ps2 all over again"

This is not true the error has nothen to do with the hardware and is due to either a hdd problem (Sony does not make the hdd")

or faulty firmware which is due to people trying to update with a >50% connection on there wifi and it only happens to >1% of ps3s

heres a link form kotaku that explains it better: http://kotaku.com/378576/sony-dont-know-what-error-code-80010514-is-either

and heres what it says:

It's not on the scale of the dreaded (do you dare speak its name?) RROD, but lately, some attention's been focused on PS3 owners getting an error message which reads "An error occurred during the start operation. 80010514". Not as catchy as "Red Ring Of Death" then, either. Do you know what it means? I don't. The crew at GameRevolver reckon it's one of two things: a problem with your HDD, or the result of a faulty software installation. We'd now normally use this part to tell you what Sony think it is, but they haven't the foggiest, an SCEE rep telling Eurogamer "they aren't aware of this issue with the PS3". Man, those SCEE repair guys are laaaiiiddd back. That or, you know. There is no 80010514 [cue X-Files theme....]

And can you beleive people are trying to compair this to the RROD i mean thats just sad its like some lemmings are just grasping at straws

#3 Posted by Moroeus (297 posts) -
Hmm Interesting:|
#4 Posted by trasherhead (3058 posts) -
if its faulty firmware, wouldn't a reset of the HDD do the trick?
#5 Posted by Andrew_Xavier (9625 posts) -

It's on the playstation US website under support, says all you have to do is download the correct patch. It's not even a problem, it's been known since just after launch, it wasn't news until TEAMXBOX decided it was news. It's caused by human error, and solved in 3-4 minutes, if it's currently "exploding", it's because people are trying to make their USA/PAL machines into JPN region machines to sneak into an "online beta" of some form, thereby download incorrect regional patches (main cause of the problem), and requiring a quick software reset back to their system's OWN REGION. Attempting to compare that to the RRoD, is like screaming "I BOUGHT THE WRONG SYSTEM, I WISH I HAD A PS3!!!!", which is silly, you should either just buy both, or love the one you got.

#6 Posted by Andrew_Xavier (9625 posts) -

if its faulty firmware, wouldn't a reset of the HDD do the trick?trasherhead

Can and does.

#7 Posted by Dahaka-UK (6915 posts) -

It's amazing the amount of bull crap that can be spread over the internet in the course of a few days.. Now suddenly we've got a small PS3 error, is being compared to something like the RROD when it's nowhere near on par with the RROD. Just something that can be patched an fixed in a matter of minutes. People shouldn't be signing up for fake *** accounts anyway.

#8 Posted by Cbok (1067 posts) -

Is it just me or did the Gamespot troll news story vanish? Maybe its just my browser lying to me...

#9 Posted by micky4889 (2661 posts) -
dffdsgfgsfdgb fds gsfd
#10 Posted by Dion4ever (680 posts) -
I have had a problem with my HDD. It corrupted once and well, it said something like this "the HDD appears to be corrupted. Do you want to reformat the HDD?" I selected ok as it was the only option. The reformat went up to 100% and then the PS3 restarted and the same thing happened all over again. I hope it doesn't happen again!
#11 Posted by bigLLL (3688 posts) -

Honestly all this was selfish 360 fanboys, wanting to believe the playstation 3 has some major problem so they dont feel so bad about the RROD, the error was so blown out it was funny, and this error will die quickly as it's probably a problem for what 1-2% of ps3 owners at most?

Also it might have been microsofts attemp to try frighten people off buying the ps3 as it's about to get, gt5p, haze, GTA4 and Metal gear solid 4!!! the ps3 is starting to kick up a gear!!!

#12 Posted by micky4889 (2661 posts) -
dghfdsgsd sfd gsfdg
#13 Posted by clintos59 (1320 posts) -
Like I said yesturday its only fanboys and media trying to find something wrong with the ps3, I knew it was a small issue but unfortunately some game sites like to make it look like its bigger then what it really is. But other then that u still cant blame the consumers who did report this, maybe they didnt know what to do so I guess its better to tell people then keep it a secret so others that own the system will know aswell.
#14 Posted by CossackNoodle (232 posts) -
and sadly the damage has already been done. People will not read the facts and just the speculation etc, just like the newspapers chat so much crap and people lap it up not reading it fully or realising they are just speculating or whatever.
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
#15 Posted by ChinoJamesKeene (1201 posts) -

Depends, the firmware is probably uploaded to a flashrom. Reseting the hardrive may not fix it at all, but its not a hardware fault. I really doubt this is a serious problem, im more surprized there isn;t a hardware problem considerind how much trouble Sony have had manufacturing the PS3, maybe they've finally learned from their experience with the PS2.

#16 Posted by micky4889 (2661 posts) -
jghghghghghghghghghsd
#17 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -
This could be something M$ started to counter the way the sales are going. They are in a place that if they can't recop the 50 million dollar loan on certain games for extra DLC because they are not able to sell that many consoles then this would come back to bit them because it wouldn't be the developers fault that the extra content doesn't sell when the number of consoles are not there and the software sales are not there. I really don't think a court would force the developer to pay this money back if the sales are not there because they have no control of hardware/software sales.
#18 Posted by Wasdie (53592 posts) -
Xbox fanboys are just trying to blow it out of porportion because they have been suffering with the RRoD this whole time.
#19 Posted by darthogre (5082 posts) -

yes unless the HDD is faulty.

This is nothing like the RROD and find it hiliarious that Gamespot had it as the top story a couple days ago with "RUMOR" lol. Gamespot is always wondering why people think the site has a bias and I'm starting to wonder if they are truely that ignorant. A leading story is based of rumors by some people posting in forums. Next thing you know they'll be getting their news from the magazines that feature "bigfoot is my daddy". People had to fight tooth and nail to get the X360 problems out ito the public and here a small firmware problem that is for the most part the user's fault is being put in the same boat as the X360 lol. Pathetic.

#20 Posted by death1505921 (5260 posts) -

There is no 80010514 [cue X-Files theme....]micky4889

Lmao, best quote ever! That made me laugh. And in a good way, don't worry I wasn't taking the piss.

#21 Posted by -GhostMLD- (3282 posts) -

RROD will be fixed in August with the new chipset and the PS3 troubles are just starting.

i dun know, i find that funny

#22 Posted by darthogre (5082 posts) -

RROD will be fixed in August with the new chipset and the PS3 troubles are just starting.

-GhostMLD-

What I find funny is the supposed RROD was fixed last year with a new chipset. I've given up saying they are going to fix it ever because they keep changing things and it doesn't seem to help. Just give it up and start thinking about the next Xbox......hope they do some "quality control" testing.

#23 Posted by EmperorSupreme (7687 posts) -
[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]

darthogre

What I find funny is the supposed RROD was fixed last year with a new chipset. I've given up saying they are going to fix it ever because they keep changing things and it doesn't seem to help. Just give it up and start thinking about the next Xbox......hope they do some "quality control" testing.

I agree just give up saying it's fixed until MS says so.

It was supposed to be fixed with the X-clamp, then it was fixed with the bigger heatsink, then Elite fixed it, then the HDMI mobo, then the Halo Edition, then Falcon...

#24 Posted by EmperorSupreme (7687 posts) -
[QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]

darthogre

I agree stop saying it's fixed until MS says so.

It was supposed to be fixed with the X-clamp, then it was fixed with the bigger heatsink, then Elite fixed it, then the HDMI mobo, then the Halo Edition, then Falcon...

#25 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -

-GhostMLD-

Do you really think a new chip is going to fix this problem when last year the repair centers that refused to even try to fix this problem were saying that the problem was a complete design flaw in the hardware, not just the chip. The design flaw was more than just the chip because even adding extra heatsinks it didn't really do anything to fix the problem.

#26 Posted by GameRogue (111 posts) -
[QUOTE="darthogre"][QUOTE="-GhostMLD-"]

EmperorSupreme

I agree stop saying it's fixed until MS says so.

Just because MS say they extend it to 3yr warranty for rrod... it does not mean it is fix right at that moment. It takes time for inventory to come back to their repair center...

Unless MS do a recall, it will take awhile for all those fast-dying 360 to get fix.

Just like if you are sick, you take medicine. You don't get cured immediately. It take awhile to take effect.

#27 Posted by gokuoch (25 posts) -

Unfortunately I am afraid it is all true.

The error 80010514 is a big problem. I've encountered it couple days ago with my PS3 60 Gb I've had since the day of the European release.

And rebooting the system, reformating the hard drive won't do any good.

It is identified as a hardware problem - actually it is the Bluray lens functioning no more.

And I am out of warranty now so I am pretty much screwed.

Seems like I am not the only one in this case, so I am afraid this is Sony version of the RROD.

#28 Posted by mamkem6 (1457 posts) -
As our friends over at destructoid have recently reannounced, Their is a known issue with the PS3, simply known as error 800010514. Although this error occurs less frequently than a southern Alabama church revival, we felt it necessary to our loyal Sony readers to help shed some light on this issue.

The error in question is mainly seen within the first month of use, or to put it bluntly, it has the error right out of the box, however, we have seen this occur at almost a year into service as well. Our particular error occurred shortly after installing a new game we had purchased off the PlayStation Store.

The Error reads as follows:

"An error occurred during the start operation. 80010514"

Since this error occurred, we obviously contacted Sony Support. We were informed that the code is not common, and a simple reset of the system, and restoral of factory settings should do the trick. Unfortunately, after the restoral, the error still occurred. So, we dug a bit further, and this is what we found.

The error code is actually one of two things, a) a faulty sector on the internal hard drive, or b) a faulty installation of software/firmware, both iterations actually coincide with eachother. If the hard drive suffers a faulty sector ( a section of damaged space on the drive that data may have been written to that no longer is readable), an installation may still be processed, and even work, but the error can cause some serious side effects, such as option b. If your PS3 has installed an item incorrectly, including firmware, it is in high risk of receiving this error.

Basically, what is occuring is the corruption of game disc recognition and execution. If you will notice, in 90% of all cases, the drive will still play DVD and even Blu Ray movies with no problems. When trying to start a game however, the title, sooner or later, will receive the error.

A couple of ways to help prevent these errors from occuring:

1) Ensure that your internet connection is stable. If you are using a wireless connection, make sure your signal is at least a solid 80%. If not, make the proper adjustments until it is.

2) Dust your machine regularly. Any PS3 owner will tell you that the Playstation 3 is a dust magnet. Just run a dry cloth over it every couple days, and you should be fine. This will help prevent heat issues and shorts that may occur.

3) When installing firmware and/or software, make sure you follow the instructions. Even if you have installed 6 versions prior, each one is different, and may require additional steps. Save yourself the headache and just follow them, it only takes a minute or so longer to do it right.

By following these simple steps, you can prolongue the life of your PS3 indefinitely. To sum things up, the error is not hardware releated. Unfortunately, it is occuring through the corruption of firmware. Restoring you PS3 will not roll back the firmware, and unfortunately will not fix the issue 9 times out of 10. If you are receiving this error, contact Sony for a replacement unit. They are very fast when it comes to servicing/replacing as we had our 60Gb (the one that is in shortage ya know) back in about 2 1/2 weeks. Not bad.
#29 Posted by mamkem6 (1457 posts) -
This is some article what I found but I don't think is bad firmware cause it is stored on static memory (Nand Flash) not hard drive