The top-end RTX GPU struggles to hit 60fps 1008p(Update)People areMADabout NVIDIA RTX... jayz 2 cents think this is why

• 139 results
#1 Edited by Addict187 (1056 posts) -

original article https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-hands-on

Nvidia response: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-publishes-geforce-rtx-2080-vs-geforce-gtx-1080-comparison

In a wake of a controversial public demos at Gamescom, which were showing relatively poor performance with RTX enabled, NVIDIA decided to cut all speculation and confirm officially that the upcoming series will be 40-50% faster in selected titles.

Additionally, with DLSS enabled (Deep Learning Super Sampling), some supported games will offer even better performance thanks to new antialiasing technology.

#2 Edited by BassMan (10354 posts) -

What a fucking joke these new RTX cards are. Questionable rasterization performance increases over last gen and ray tracing is useless if you can't even play at 60fps or higher. Then there is the fact that none of these games are using all aspects of ray tracing. They are being selective... Tomb Raider = Shadows, Battlefield = Reflections, Metro = Global Illumination. Then Nvidia has the audacity to charge outrageous prices. Nvidia can go fuk themselves with this RTX bullshit.

- A pissed off PC Gamer

#3 Posted by Ant_17 (12534 posts) -

And somehow consoles hold back games.

#4 Posted by scatteh316 (10252 posts) -

THHBO!!

#5 Posted by Sam3231 (2566 posts) -

Yeah I mean just getting a glimpse of what some of the RTX gameplay looks like, it does look pretty good.

Dunno about that first comparison picture though in the article, why on earth would their be absolutely no shadows for those kids in a game as prolific as Shadow of the Tomb Raider? Unless they are pulling an Ubisoft on us.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#6 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4729 posts) -

Yeeeah, raytracing was so not ready for primetime. Yikes.

#7 Posted by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

What a sad joke. Looks I'll be skipping the RTX cards. I'll save my money for when 7nm chips arrive.

#8 Posted by Creepywelps (2964 posts) -

Just a nvidia milk line before they drop something actually decent in 2020.

#9 Posted by Steppy_76 (2705 posts) -

This is first gen tech. Compare your current cards to a 3dfx voodoo card. It'll take time but raytracing is what will take the next step towards photorealism

#10 Posted by Addict187 (1056 posts) -

Just give me GTX 2080 ti 16GB, without the RTX stuff and bring the price down to $800, please

#11 Edited by scatteh316 (10252 posts) -

Did hermits honestly believe Nvidia had improved their GPU compute performance by 15-20x over the 1080ti to make RT actually useable?

You gullible fools.....

#12 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6452 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

Well technically ray tracing is pushing games forward... It just comes with a severe performance hit.

Either way the new GPU's are pure milkage and anyone who pre-orders one is too rich or too dumb, they intentionally withheld performance comparisons during the conference and the TFLOP counts.

#13 Posted by ahmedkhan1994 (714 posts) -

Hmm ive already been thinking about selling my 1080ti for a 2080 but im a bit skeptical now. After getting a 1440p 165hz monitor i dont want to go back to 60 hz for waht seems like is just better reflections.

#14 Posted by ReCloud (4418 posts) -

$1600 for this?

#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31170 posts) -

This is why I will wait one more gen, likely two more gens, before going for Ray Tracing tech.

#16 Posted by Creepywelps (2964 posts) -

@recloud: $1200

#17 Posted by pdogg93 (1598 posts) -

This is the start of new tech people Jesus. It always begins this way.

#18 Posted by DaVillain- (36864 posts) -

Nvidia at this point isn't meeting G-sync 4K/60fps/144Hz demands since we have 4K/144Hz monitors and as such, this is a reason why I didn't bother jumping on the 4K bandwagon. Nvidia is spending too much resource on Ray Tracing and if the 2080Ti was meant to be for 4K gaming, the price point would have been totally fair. Nvidia didn't show no performance whats-so-ever and they really want you to pre-order this badly.

Guess I'll be staying in 1440p for a very long time. This is what happens when you don't have competition and Nvidia knows it.

#19 Posted by navyguy21 (15247 posts) -

There was a demo during Gamescom and on the floor that was 4k/60fps with raytracing.

I assume that this Tomb Raider demo either wasnt implemented well, didnt have game drivers, or both.

#20 Posted by scatteh316 (10252 posts) -
@navyguy21 said:

There was a demo during Gamescom and on the floor that was 4k/60fps with raytracing.

I assume that this Tomb Raider demo either wasnt implemented well, didnt have game drivers, or both.

Or it was running on multiple cards..... AMD and Nvidia have been caught using multi card systems before.

#21 Posted by sovkhan (1271 posts) -

Thanks to all the Dudebros that put Nvidia on a pedestal and allow them to charge silly prices for almost no gain.

#22 Posted by Zero_epyon (13287 posts) -

I wonder if it will be time for me to switch to AMD soon. Hopefully, they can capitalize on this and release a cheaper, but more monstrous card.

#23 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31170 posts) -
@navyguy21 said:

Yeah no word on what was running that 4k/60FPS RTX demo though.

We have absolutely no clue if RTX 2080ti/2080/2070 will be able to do any of these games at 4K/60.

#24 Posted by Zaryia (8917 posts) -

Well, better than 30 fps on low im most games.

#25 Edited by ReCloud (4418 posts) -

@zaryia: where are your PC specs? Still waiting for them.

And lol dat damage control

#26 Edited by Zaryia (8917 posts) -
@recloud said:

And lol dat damage control

A significant majority of video games look and run better on a 1070 or 1080 than on consoles. This card is nice, but not required to topple consoles.

DF has my back on this. If you would like to disprove them, offer citation for 1000s of games being better on consoles.

#27 Posted by Howmakewood (5924 posts) -
@Zero_epyon said:

I wonder if it will be time for me to switch to AMD soon. Hopefully, they can capitalize on this and release a cheaper, but more monstrous card.

wouldn't hold my breath, vega 56/64 is already more expensive to produce than gtx 1080

#28 Edited by ReCloud (4418 posts) -

@zaryia: but where are your PC specs? And pictures of it? Can you prove you have a PC? Because you don't.

You ran away from that PC specs thread LMAO

#29 Posted by DaVillain- (36864 posts) -

@sovkhan said:

Thanks to all the Dudebros that put Nvidia on a pedestal and allow them to charge silly prices for almost no gain.

This is what happens when everybody begs for only one company to succeed. No competition=shit!

Sadly enough, Nvidia has what I need and not AMD. What choice do I have?

#30 Edited by DaVillain- (36864 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

AMD's too busy pwning Intel with Ryzen, they don't have the resources to compete with Nvidia at the same time. At this point, we might as well just wait until it actually happens to get excited about AMD's monster of a GPU for the right price.

#31 Posted by Random_Matt (4241 posts) -
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Ant_17 said:

Well technically ray tracing is pushing games forward... It just comes with a severe performance hit.

Either way the new GPU's are pure milkage and anyone who pre-orders one is too rich or too dumb, they intentionally withheld performance comparisons during the conference and the TFLOP counts.

I was on one of my local forums the other say, some sucker purchased two, yes fucking two. Anyway, can't you turn off ray tracing?

#32 Posted by Random_Matt (4241 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@sovkhan said:

This is what happens when everybody begs for only one company to succeed. No competition=shit!

Sadly enough, Nvidia has what I need and not AMD. What choice do I have?

Just wait.

#33 Edited by Zaryia (8917 posts) -
@recloud said:

@zaryia: but where are your PC specs?

That was a goal post move completely unrelated to this topic or my post. I have no reason to respond to such nonsensical demands.

You don't need this new gpu to beat consoles. This is confirmed by DF. If you would like to challenge this fact by posting games that run better on console, I am fully willing to see the citation.

#34 Posted by Wasdie (53592 posts) -

That's not really surprising. I've heard that the earlier ray tracing demos they've shown were running on their Quadro series, which is a $10k card.

The takeaway is we're a long way from realtime ray tracing.

#35 Posted by Wasdie (53592 posts) -
@Ant_17 said:

That's a dumb statement.

No developer ever builds their games exclusively for the most powerful machines. Games are built for the lowest common denominator which, right now, is the Xbox One followed by the PS4. You can't build games that exceed what the baseline can do.

#36 Posted by Yams1980 (3511 posts) -

its embarrassing to hear this. I wonder if Nvidia was helping them put this in tomb raider, cause if so... they have just humiliated themselves. Ray tracing is a useless gimmick if it hits the performance this badly. You'd think they would have a dedicated part of the hardware to handle something so complicated to avoid such a big performance hit.

Its not like its important in the end though, so few games will ever use ray tracing, it'll just be something they add you can enable but never will. Kinda like super sampling in modern games, nobody runs it because ya, its great for smooth looking screenshots but they don't want to run the game at a choppy 10-20 fps.

I hope they sell non rtx cards, i don't care about advanced lighting and just want smooth framerates and don't want to pay extra for tech i'll never use.

#37 Edited by naz99 (2941 posts) -

1st gen of new tech is demanding, whats the surprise here?

Especially considering real time Hardware RayTracing has been a goal of 3D software engineers for decades.

#38 Posted by dagubot (1326 posts) -

Ouch...lol. I'll stick with my 1080 Ti. Wasn't planning on buying a new GPU for at least another year or so.

#39 Edited by BassMan (10354 posts) -

@Yams1980 said:

its embarrassing to hear this. I wonder if Nvidia was helping them put this in tomb raider, cause if so... they have just humiliated themselves. Ray tracing is a useless gimmick if it hits the performance this badly. You'd think they would have a dedicated part of the hardware to handle something so complicated to avoid such a big performance hit.

Its not like its important in the end though, so few games will ever use ray tracing, it'll just be something they add you can enable but never will. Kinda like super sampling in modern games, nobody runs it because ya, its great for smooth looking screenshots but they don't want to run the game at a choppy 10-20 fps.

I hope they sell non rtx cards, i don't care about advanced lighting and just want smooth framerates and don't want to pay extra for tech i'll never use.

That is what the RT cores are for. They are designed specifically for ray tracing calculations. However, the performance is clearly shit.

I don't know if getting involved with the Nintendo Switch has poisoned their brains, but Nvidia seems to be treating us like a bunch of console peasants with Turing. They are trying to wow us with fancy graphics at shit frame rates. That is not how the PCMR rolls. We do not do compromises. We want the visuals and performance to match.

#40 Posted by GioVela2010 (5566 posts) -

So 15 FPS @ 4K? Lmao

#41 Posted by Dark_man123 (4008 posts) -

This is why I told myself i wont be doing a serious upgrade to my rig probably until 2020-2021

#42 Edited by BassMan (10354 posts) -

The current state of PC Gaming with the latest tech....

4K/144hz monitor: $2000

RTX 2080 Ti: $1200

Playing the latest ray traced games at 1080p sub 60fps: Worthless

(Think the old Mastercard commercials) hehe :)

#43 Posted by That_Old_Guy (1236 posts) -

Cool beans

#44 Edited by ronvalencia (28046 posts) -

@Addict187: It's the first generation RTX design.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-killzone-shadow-fall

PS4's Killzone Shadow Fall has real-time ray-traced reflections via AMD GCN/HSA near metal.

#45 Posted by svaubel (4131 posts) -

Sheesh. I may pass on these cards if they can barely perform their heavily advertised feature. Not that I really need to upgrade right now anyway.

#46 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1283 posts) -

The world isn't ready for real time raytracing. Maybe give it 5-10 more years :P

#47 Edited by lundy86_4 (53342 posts) -

In all fairness, that seems to conflict with Techradar's article.

I'm going to wait for some actual benchmarks once the NDA's are lifted.

#48 Posted by schu (10051 posts) -

@jasonofa36: has to start somewhere..I said to my coworker that historically this has always happened when new tech ships it turns out to be a shit version of it and it takes a few spins to get it right

#49 Posted by Gatygun (1519 posts) -
@BassMan said:

What a fucking joke these new RTX cards are. Questionable rasterization performance increases over last gen and ray tracing is useless if you can't even play at 60fps or higher. Then there is the fact that none of these games are using all aspects of ray tracing. They are being selective... Tomb Raider = Shadows, Battlefield = Reflections, Metro = Global Illumination. Then Nvidia has the audacity to charge outrageous prices. Nvidia can go fuk themselves with this RTX bullshit.

- A pissed off PC Gamer

Yea these cards are horrible. There new 5000 series.

#50 Edited by rmpumper (649 posts) -

Was obvious from the very start that this shit is just another gimmick. RayTracing will be a thing in 5 year on PC and then when PS6 comes out it might be a standard feature.

There is a reason why nvidia did not show any relevant performance figures during the RTX reveal.