The rise and fall of "Nvidia's GeForce Now" loses access to Microsoft and Warner titles!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Nvidia’s GeForce Now cloud gaming service is losing access to more titles later this month, the company announced on Monday. Starting April 24th, GeForce Now will no longer be able to play titles from Microsoft’s Xbox Game Studios, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Codemasters, and Klei Entertainment.

Without Xbox Game Studios, GeForce Now can’t access popular titles like Halo: The Master Chief Collection or games in the Gears of War or Forza franchises. Warner Bros.’ game division is another popular publisher, owning the rights to series like the Batman: Arkham games developed by Rocksteady and Mortal Kombat titles from NetherRealm. Codemasters is well known for developing racing titles with the Formula 1 brand and rally racing games under the Dirt series. And Klei is well known for making indie hits like Don’t Starve and Mark of the Ninja.

This was a non-issue when GeForce Now was free in beta form, but since its public trial launch in early February, Nvidia started charging $4.99 a month. Publishers, including Activision Blizzard and Bethesda Softworks, then began pulling their libraries. 2K Games also removed its titles early last month.

Nvidia says these publisher removals are few and far between. Thirty of the top 40 games on Steam are supported, the company says. GeForce Now is also gaining access to the complete Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry series.

“Ubisoft fully supports Nvidia’s GeForce NOW with complete access to our PC games from the Ubisoft Store or any supported game stores,” Chris Early, senior vice president partnerships at Ubisoft, said in a statement. “We believe it’s a leading-edge service that gives current and new PC players a high-end experience with more choice in how and where they play their favorite games.” Link: The Verge

This news doesn't affect me since I prefer to download PC games directly and play them in 4K if only I could, but I feel a bit disappointed for those PC and laptop gamers who who can't play many games adequately without services like GeForce Now that offer streaming in 1080p. Nvidia tried to make a decent streaming service, but they're too big for all the greedy publishers to not want to take a bite. Game Streaming killing itself. Can't say I'm impress how this is going.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Nvidia should just scrap their launcher and let the user use whatever client he wants to use on Geforce Now. I know why they do it but they can simply redirect to a different VM/instance once the game is selected to play. Might be a bit of initial wait but I'm sure it won't be much. They can easily cover the a legal loophole on distribution that publishers are exploiting.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Whoop.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Reshade is a good alternative although they don't have a photo mode built in.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

This is pretty shitty. Its not like these companies are losing money. The people using this service already own the games.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Its not as bad as they are making it out to be. You can still play any game on your Steam list on it, if the game is available on Steam then its playable on GeForce Now. I wish this streaming shit would die though personally.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

@pelvist said:

Its not as bad as they are making it out to be. You can still play any game on your Steam list on it, if the game is available on Steam then its playable on GeForce Now. I wish this streaming shit would die though personally.

Why? How does it affect you?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Pedro: They’re not losing money but we’re living in a society where people would rather die than seeing you profit from something they wouldn’t profit from anyway. ie supermarkets that rather throw food away than giving it to the homeless. They didn’t pay for it, why should they get him. Better throw it away so no one can benefit.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@davillain- said:

Nvidia’s GeForce Now cloud gaming service is losing access to more titles later this month, the company announced on Monday. Starting April 24th, GeForce Now will no longer be able to play titles from Microsoft’s Xbox Game Studios, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Codemasters, and Klei Entertainment.

Without Xbox Game Studios, GeForce Now can’t access popular titles like Halo: The Master Chief Collection or games in the Gears of War or Forza franchises. Warner Bros.’ game division is another popular publisher, owning the rights to series like the Batman: Arkham games developed by Rocksteady and Mortal Kombat titles from NetherRealm. Codemasters is well known for developing racing titles with the Formula 1 brand and rally racing games under the Dirt series. And Klei is well known for making indie hits like Don’t Starve and Mark of the Ninja.

This was a non-issue when GeForce Now was free in beta form, but since its public trial launch in early February, Nvidia started charging $4.99 a month. Publishers, including Activision Blizzard and Bethesda Softworks, then began pulling their libraries. 2K Games also removed its titles early last month.

Nvidia says these publisher removals are few and far between. Thirty of the top 40 games on Steam are supported, the company says. GeForce Now is also gaining access to the complete Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry series.

“Ubisoft fully supports Nvidia’s GeForce NOW with complete access to our PC games from the Ubisoft Store or any supported game stores,” Chris Early, senior vice president partnerships at Ubisoft, said in a statement. “We believe it’s a leading-edge service that gives current and new PC players a high-end experience with more choice in how and where they play their favorite games.” Link: The Verge

This news doesn't affect me since I prefer to download PC games directly and play them in 4K if only I could, but I feel a bit disappointed for those PC and laptop gamers who who can't play many games adequately without services like GeForce Now that offer streaming in 1080p. Nvidia tried to make a decent streaming service, but they're too big for all the greedy publishers to not want to take a bite. Game Streaming killing itself. Can't say I'm impress how this is going.

NVIDIA's PCMR compressed pixels gaming. LOL

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@Pedro said:
@pelvist said:

Why? How does it affect you?

It effects me when it becomes more mainstream like DLC and other bad practices did and I cant play because my connection is shit. Id rather it die before then. Is that answer ok for you?

Hliouxas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hliouxas
Member since 2006 • 29 Posts

woooooow :D