The real reason why Death Stranding and Last of Us 2 aren't coming out in the same year

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44865 Posts

It's because Sony wants to rack up GOTYs for 2019 and 2020. Why have them compete with each other for the same year? Might as well keep MS in check and keep the momentum going. Am I rite, SW? Or do you think Last of Us 2 is still going to come out in 2019?

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

Death Stranding ain't winning this year and TLOU won't win next year either against Cyberpunk.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I don't think Naughty Dog want to go up against Cyberpunk 2077. I'm sure they'd rather lose to Death Stranding. But the game will come when it comes and it will be a MEGATON

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

It has nothing to do with GOTY awards. Both games will win a record number of awards between themselves regardless. They are trying to spread both games out because megaton games like that need room to breathe especially when they are exclusives on the same console otherwise they cannibalize each other's sales. Better to spread them out and maximize the amount of hardware and software you can sell with each since both games are already huge system sellers. If they release both in the same year they get one huge spike in sales while if they spread them out they can get two huge spikes in hardware and software sales. Also TLOU2 can help sell PS5s next year since the PS5 is confirmed to be BC, it makes business sense.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

It’s has to do with fiscal years, momentum pushing for the PS4, momentum pushing for the PS5 when they announce these games will be BC, and releasing in a mostly stable condition.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I think y’all need to calm down with the Death Standing hype. Otherwise get ready for a big letdown when the game doesn’t do your taxes or drops your kids off at soccer practice.

When you insanely overhype something, the only way to go is down.

Let’s look at a few facts. This is a new, unproven IP from an unproven studio. Sure it’s got Kojima attached - but what’s his track record outside one IP? Zilch? The story looks convoluted and a bit surreal - meaning most people won’t get it. Has the snippet of gameplay you’ve been shown been anything revolutionary? Will it have any multiplayer? Love it or hate it, multiplayer is insanely popular right now. Oh, and that baby?!?

GotY hype? For something you haven’t played yet and have barely seen any gameplay for? Quit fanboy gushing and be patient. You have any idea how foolish you’ll look if the previews come back less than enthusiastic?

As for LoU2. Same thing. Look what it’s going to be compared to - an actual GotY winner. The scrutiny will be higher and a hundred times harder to top.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Son-Goku7523
@Sevenizz said:

I think y’all need to calm down with the Death Standing hype. Otherwise get ready for a big letdown when the game doesn’t do your taxes or drops your kids off at soccer practice.

Sorry, I think you're mistaking Kojima and PS4 tentpole games for your mediocre Junkbox exclusives. Sony has been hitting mostly home runs this gen and Kojima doesn't release flops. Go back to hyping your mediocre Junkbox games....

Death Stranding and TLOU are pretty much guaranteed to get 9s and 10s across the board and I'm looking forward to your tears and damage control when they release ?.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@hello505: I say you're wrong, the media is already hyping DS knowing close to nothing. Remember when the Last Guardian picked up several gotys and it was kind of a turd? And MGS5 won several too while being clearly an incomplete game?

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@son-goku7523: rekt him?? Damn near killed him!

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@Sevenizz: mostly everything ms has released has been a flop. Don’t be jelly

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@phbz said:

@hello505: I say you're wrong, the media is already hyping DS knowing close to nothing. Remember when the Last Guardian picked up several gotys and it was kind of a turd? And MGS5 won several too while being clearly an incomplete game?

The Last Guardian was great though.

• My GOTY and #4 game of the generation
  • 9 at Gamespot
  • 80+ Metacritic
  • 5th most GOTY 2016 wins (and the game came out super late)
  • Easy Allies GOTY
  • Numerous nominations (and some wins) - narrative, artistic graphics , sountrack , sound design , adventure , character , etc.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hello505

@phbz: I figured OP was talking about winnig overall GOTY. If he means they'll win a few awards from some obscure sites then sure.

@Nike_Air Easy Allies are Sony fanboys though. The only trustworthy podcast gaming site is Giant Bomb, everyone else are fanboys.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@son-goku7523 said:
@Sevenizz said:

Sorry, I think you're mistaking Kojima and PS4 tentpole games for your mediocre Junkbox exclusives. Sony has been hitting mostly home runs this gen and Kojima doesn't release flops. Go back to hyping your mediocre Junkbox games....

Death Stranding and TLOU are pretty much guaranteed to get 9s and 10s across the board and I'm looking forward to your tears and damage control when they release ?.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@Nike_Air: I know all that. I still think that giving goty to a dated game with such poor AI and controls is a joke, and shows an industry that is guided more by fanboyism than integrity.

@hello505: I like Easy Allies and support them on Patreon but ye, they are total fanboys. But they are far from being an obscure site. Still nothing tops the year they gave Heartstone their goty.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14491 Posts

Fine by me. Release them when they’re ready.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 68934 Posts

Its funny that Sony fannies talk about Xbox even when the thread is not about Xbox because there has apparently been no games to play this year on the PS4.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Pretty obvious they don't want to cannibalize their own games. Only EA is dumb enough to do that.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@hello505: Most of Easy Allies are Nintendo fanboys.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19541 Posts

So the cows are officially hyping these two games as GOTY 2019 and 2020? That's good to know.

Oh, and we can also safely assume that the cows are officially hyping these as 10/10 games, given all of these threads lately.

Awesome, now that that's all locked in, let's see if either of them live up to the hype.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@fedor: Not really, Damiani is a Nintendo fanboy though he is pretty objective when it comes to reviews. All other allies tend much more to Sony and just love to talk shit about the Xbox. It's funny, because they do try not to but they just can't stop themselves.

The thing is that Easy Allies has a fanboy culture, not specifically towards any brand. You just know Ian is going to orgasm over anything From Software, Kyle Naughty Dog, etc. Brandon gave a 10/10 to RDR2 and when he talked about the game on the podcadt he even knew less about the game than other Allies. Huber will just call any game the best game ever, but can tune down that constant hype fever dream for reviews.

They just have a very poor editorial culture. As they have said, they choose who's gonna review a game based on who's more hyped for a game. You can literally guess their scores even before pressing play.

But that weakness is also their strength, I like how jolly they are and am OK with it. It's just a bunch of gamers having fun. Last gen they were very generous to Xbox because they were part of the hype. They're like the least professional professionals and I appreciate them for being genuine. And it's not like they're toxic (Ian was but now he's OK).

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 10967 Posts

LOL! Like Sony knows if this game will be an awards contender. GotY doesn't matter more than sales. If ND says they need more time, then Sony will give to them.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9549 Posts

@phbz: if the game journalism industry is guided by fanboyism, sony isnt the comoany with the most fanboys, so this argument comes off as dc for sonys good performance this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@X_CAPCOM_X: Sony is by far the company with more fanboys. Just pick any generic site in the net and it's quite obvious. Denying that it's just fanboyism. But they've earned it, it's the result of their history and how well they did this gen.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sevenizz

@son-goku7523: Sony has their share of exclusive turds as well. Life of Black Tiger, Killzone, The Order, Knack, Gran Tourismo, Last Guardian, Umbrella Corps, Godzilla, etc etc. And those are just off the top of my head.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Son-Goku7523

@pdogg93 said:

@son-goku7523: rekt him?? Damn near killed him!

??? I know.

@Sevenizz said:

@son-goku7523: Sony has their share of turds as well. Life of Black Tiger, Killzone, The Order, Knack, Gran Tourismo, Last Guardian, Umbrella Corps, Godzilla, etc etc. And those are just off the top of my head.

They all have turds, difference is Sony has several home runs while MS has nothing but turds and flops.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sevenizz

@son-goku7523: I’ll agree with that. But sony suffers in online multiplayer, the racing and fps genres - two of gaming’s most popular genres. Xbox excels in those categories.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Son-Goku7523

@Sevenizz said:

@son-goku7523: I’ll agree with that. But sony suffers in online multiplayer, the racing and fps genres - two of gaming’s most popular genres. Xbox excels in those categories.

Racing isn't even close to being the most popular genre. It's a very niche genre and GT is still the most popular arcade-sim racer, Forza doesn't come close to its sales.

As for FPS market, the genre is over-saturated with 3rd party offerings. Sony would be idiots to compete directly with giants like Epic, Activision, and EA in the shooter genre when they can sit back and allow the popular FPS franchises from those publishers to sell their consoles for them. Part of Halo and Gear's problems is that they are trying to compete with COD, Fortnite, BF, Overwatch, Destiny, etc. and getting creamed out there by those way more popular multiplat shooters. Sony is selling 100 million consoles without the need for for big multiplayer exclusives. Look at NPD LTDs for this gen, two of Sony's mega exclusives on the list are AAA single player games, and none of Microsoft's big shooters or multiplayer games are on the list....

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@hello505: how does the future look like?

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Calvincfb

@Sevenizz: those are most played on PC, not on Xbox.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#30 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I am pretty sure the Last of Us 2 won't release until the PS5 drops.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

It's not ready, strange thread.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hello505
@phbz said:

@fedor: Not really, Damiani is a Nintendo fanboy though he is pretty objective when it comes to reviews. All other allies tend much more to Sony and just love to talk shit about the Xbox. It's funny, because they do try not to but they just can't stop themselves.

The thing is that Easy Allies has a fanboy culture, not specifically towards any brand. You just know Ian is going to orgasm over anything From Software, Kyle Naughty Dog, etc. Brandon gave a 10/10 to RDR2 and when he talked about the game on the podcadt he even knew less about the game than other Allies. Huber will just call any game the best game ever, but can tune down that constant hype fever dream for reviews.

They just have a very poor editorial culture. As they have said, they choose who's gonna review a game based on who's more hyped for a game. You can literally guess their scores even before pressing play.

But that weakness is also their strength, I like how jolly they are and am OK with it. It's just a bunch of gamers having fun. Last gen they were very generous to Xbox because they were part of the hype. They're like the least professional professionals and I appreciate them for being genuine. And it's not like they're toxic (Ian was but now he's OK).

They are completely unprofessional and shouldn't be allowed to review Xbox games at all or be able to effect the metascore of those games. Microsoft could theoretically ban them from reviewing xbox games for being fanboys and hateful against their brand.

mave198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mave198
Member since 2004 • 7332 Posts

Did someone post that a AAA game The Last Guardian is a Sony turd ????

That a racing game that scored a 8 is a turd???

LOL ??

TLHBO

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@hello505 said:

Death Stranding ain't winning this year and TLOU won't win next year either against Cyberpunk.

Don't speak too soon. Death Stranding looks like metal gear solid 5 and BOTW had a baby. And then that baby was given psychedelic drugs and told to program a video game.

That video game turned out to be...SHIA LEBOUF..and death stranding in his fever dream.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I think you have a good point.

It makes logical sense to withhold a game for a short period of time so they do not compete with each other.

This happens frequently in the film industry.

However, holding back a game from release is expensive. There is an opportunity cost, its money that could be in your bank earning interest.

There will be a number of considerations to take and having two exclusives released close together would certainly be one of them.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9838 Posts

- The game is ready sir, should we release it?

- No let's delay it six months so we can scoop up more GOTY awards.

^^This is a conversation that has never ever happened in the history of video games.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Calvincfb

@SolidGame_basic said:

It's because Sony wants to rack up GOTYs for 2019 and 2020. Why have them compete with each other for the same year? Might as well keep MS in check and keep the momentum going. Am I rite, SW? Or do you think Last of Us 2 is still going to come out in 2019?

That must be why Pixar doesn't release two movies in the same year. It has nothing to do with business strategy, right? LMFAO