The real reason why 3DS sells so much

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

The 3ds is a great system, with fantastic games, but if you think it's sold this much because it's clearly a superior gaming device, you're wrong. It sells because its main demographic are the kiddies. Just go to any mall or any local toy store and you'll see what I mean. You'll see kids holding their 3DSes with one hand while holding mommy's hand in the other. The reason why a Sony portable exist is because they saw an opening to target the older, more hardcore crowd. Unfortunately, because the Vita is lagging in sales, they are only now trying to appeal to the casual market (see the new Vita Pets game and the new Vita model that comes with new colors). So there you have it folks, the real reason why 3ds sells so much. You can thank me later.

#2 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

What difference does it make why a product sells or what demographics something includes?

#3 Posted by hiphops_savior (8438 posts) -

College students are also a big market, never underestimate a population looking for cheap entertainment on the go.

#4 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

@mrintro said:

The 3ds is a great system, with fantastic games

I think you really answered the question right here

#5 Edited by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Maybe it's one of the reasons but not all of them, as the post above me shows.

#6 Posted by B_rich84 (366 posts) -

Games. Price.

I'm 30 and own one. My wife is 25 and owns one.

#7 Edited by osan0 (14956 posts) -

really? everything i hear in the media tells me the kiddies want tablets and phones (assuming they want electronics), not 3DSs. i dont think i have ever seen a survey where the 3DS was high on the list. just had a quick look around and the 3DS was never even mentioned (i didnt specifiy the term 3DS as that would skew the results).

thats not to say that kids dont have or use the 3DS....but i dont think they are as big a driving force as you think.

the 3DS sells because of its selection of games at the end of the day.

the vita is tanking (sadly, love my vita) because sony treat it like an unwanted stepchild. the vita is a superior protable device to play games on and it does have its own selection of good games (tearaway released recently, great game that could only work on the vita). but when it comes to games selection the vita is simply outclassed by the 3DS.

#8 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9284 posts) -

I thought everyone knew this.

@osan0 said:

really? everything i hear in the media tells me the kiddies want tablets and phones (assuming they want electronics), not 3DSs. i dont think i have ever seen a survey where the 3DS was high on the list. just had a quick look around and the 3DS was never even mentioned (i didnt specifiy the term 3DS as that would skew the results).

thats not to say that kids dont have or use the 3DS....but i dont think they are as big a driving force as you think.

the 3DS sells because of its selection of games at the end of the day.

the vita is tanking (sadly, love my vita) because sony treat it like an unwanted stepchild. the vita is a superior protable device to play games on and it does have its own selection of good games (tearaway released recently, great game that could only work on the vita). but when it comes to games selection the vita is simply outclassed by the 3DS.

I know I would never buy a tablet or a phone for a child, and I'm sure that many feel the same way.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#9 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (24814 posts) -

3DS came out the gate a huge flop.

Then...GAMES CAME OUT. Good...great..and some truly great games. Games sell hardware. Age old rule. 3DS has the games. That is why it sells. Your assertion that it only sells well because of kids is....well it's wrong.

#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (27144 posts) -

Oh look it's the kiddies argument again.

So because you saw some kids at malls have a 3DS it must mean that its main demographic is kids. Nice !

#11 Posted by Liquid_ (3818 posts) -

pretty sound argument if you are trying to argue with a chimpanzee

#12 Posted by Zelda187 (1047 posts) -

It sells so much because it's the best handheld on the market, period.

#13 Posted by gameofthering (11115 posts) -

That's true for most systems. So many kids had a PS1 & PS2. The kids are the reason they sell so much.

#14 Edited by enzyme36 (3089 posts) -

I think its great that people of all ages can enjoy the 3DS

#15 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29679 posts) -

The Price is good and there's a lot of good games.

You don't need to be a Kid to enjoy the 3DS either.

#16 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22928 posts) -

@mrintro said:

The 3ds is a great system, with fantastic games,

You just answered your own question.

#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (61462 posts) -

It's a decent system, with a decent lineup of games, a cheaper price tag, a strong brand name behind it, a company that generally understands and lends itself to that market, and has the bonus of a diehard(borderline cult freaks) fanbase.

Simply saying it "sells to the kids" is over simplifying it. Sure it does sell to kids, but really it sells for a host of other reasons as well. Another being that its main competitor is a poorly handled product.

#18 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Why do you think they created the 2ds? Big money with the kiddies

#19 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

who cares?

#20 Posted by KBFloYd (18942 posts) -

pokemon....thats why

monster hunter in japan

good price.

#21 Edited by KBFloYd (18942 posts) -

@mrintro said:

Why do you think they created the 2ds? Big money with the kiddies

see this contradicts your OP

nintendo made the 2DS to get more kids on board which means they werent satisified with the small number they had before...

#22 Edited by mrfokken (642 posts) -

Let me guess, you used your birthday money to buy a Vita and now you're upset?

That's OK, just tell your mommy and daddy that you want a 3DS for Christmas.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
#23 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (1483 posts) -

It sells because it has great games. lol at trying to say it sells JUST because of kids.

#24 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Absolutely because of the large kids and casual market they still cater to, and which they do so wonderfully. Why the **** not?

@KBFloYd said:

nintendo made the 2DS to get more kids on board which means they werent satisified with the small number they had before...

What the hell is this?

#25 Posted by KBFloYd (18942 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Absolutely because of the large kids and casual market they still cater to, and which they do so wonderfully. Why the **** not?

@KBFloYd said:

What the hell is this?

an arguement... you should try it some time.

#26 Posted by drekula2 (3349 posts) -

vita tried to have an all-in-one portable experience and got beat out by the iphone.

#27 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5847 posts) -

The biggest demographic for the new Pokemon games was college students, just saying.

#28 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

kids these days are carrying around smartphones and playing shitty games on them and it's quite different from the Gameboy era. i rarely see anyone in their teens or under with a portable gaming system.

#29 Posted by Shottayouth13- (7014 posts) -

Damage control at its best.

#30 Posted by trugs26 (7494 posts) -

I've seen more adults with them than kids actually. I'd put the 3DS in the "for everyone" category. A very family friendly system (much like the Nintendo brand itself).

#31 Edited by p3anut (6207 posts) -

Funny thing is when I see someone with a Vita it's a kid. I have yet to see anyone other than a kid with a Vita. While the 3DS I've seen plenty of of kids, teens and adults with the system.

#32 Posted by hippiesanta (10299 posts) -

young people love punny game device

#33 Posted by The_Deepblue (740 posts) -

So Nintendo is good for kids. Is that a bad thing? But as someone already said, Nintendo is pretty big among college students too. I am a college student, and seriously, I think Pokemon might be as famous now as it was among my classmates in middle school!

#34 Posted by picklesurprise (185 posts) -

Insecure cow alert.

Everyone don't move and wait for it to get slaughtered.

#35 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@picklesurprise said:

Insecure cow alert.

Everyone don't move and wait for it to get slaughtered.

I own a 3ds and think it's great. But people who praise the system aren't getting the whole picture.

#36 Posted by osirisx3 (2113 posts) -

vita is lagging behind in sales because it sucks

#37 Edited by the-lone-gamer (96 posts) -

i see a few older people (in their late 30's) on the train with 3DS's also..they were playing pokemon/Mario3DLand. but just by looking at them you can tell they're losers

#38 Posted by clr84651 (5634 posts) -

The handheld market is all Nintendo's got left since the Wii U is a failure.