The PS4's UI is too Hot to Handle

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Godlike Indeed

You can have two groups of PSN friends: regular friends and "true" friends. To be true friends, or BFFs, you both have to agree. Regular friends will just show up on your lists and games by their handles, but the machine will display true friends' real names, so you don't have to keep remembering that SexCowboy77 is actually Kirk Hamilton.

Multitasking is super-easy. If you double-tap the PlayStation button on the DualShock 4, you'll swap between your last two applications. So if you play a game, then pause to look at your friends list, it's easy to switch back to where you left off. No saving required. This is the future!

There's a whole hub for broadcasting. This is a system built for sharing and streaming—Sony's so into this stuff that they even put a share button on the controller. The PS4 will automatically record up to 15 minutes of your gameplay, and you can edit/trim that footage using a snappy interface that seems to work well. (We didn't get our hands on it, but we'll have more definitive thoughts when we do.)You can also broadcast live gameplay on Twitch or Ustream, and you can search for keywords on the system's broadcast hub to see what people are sharing at any given moment. This could be big.

The homepage shows what your friends are doing. You'll see things like "Stephen just started streaming Knack" or "Evan is playing Killzone: Shadow Fall." You can interact with your friends from that page.

As you download a game, you can start playing it almost immediately. It'll take a minute or two for the system to install enough data for you to start a game, but you won't have to wait for the software to download completely—which is good, because these games are big. Different games will allow you to prioritize based on how you want to play while they download—Call of Duty: Ghosts, for example, will let you choose whether you want to start playing single- or multi-player, and then you'll download the bits accordingly.

Playing as a guest will let you sign in on other peoples' PS4s. You can just choose "play as guest" and sign in on your own account. It'll automatically wipe all of your data when you're done with the machine.

You can watch Netflix without a PlayStation Plus subscription. Okay, so this isn't a fun fact about the UI, and really, we already knew this would be the case, but it's pretty damn cool that Sony isn't locking this stuff behind a paywall. On Xbox One, just like on the 360, you'll need Xbox Live Gold to use Netflix and other media services.

The machine is designed to stay in stand-by mode. And it'll charge your DualShock 4 while it's resting. FINALLY.

The PS4 is shaped like a parallelogram. Not a rhombus. Just FYI.

Don't want to keep blasting the lems but the domination is just like that. It hurts feelings and make asses to start hurting. The PS4's only days away, the next-gen slaughter is about to begin.

User Interface Layout

The UI appears to be clean and responsive. A horizontal list of sections, similar to the PS3 interface, are at the top of the screen. The more important sections like the web browser, apps, the game being played, and the “What’s New” sections are housed under the horizontal bar.

“What’s New” and “Life Tiles”

The “What’s New” tab has a heavy social component. Icons called “Life Tiles” are displayed that show all of your friends current or recent activity. This layout is similar to Microsoft Windows’ tile system. If a friend has connected his or her PSN account to Facebook, the person’s Facebook profile picture will be shown next to the username. Users can also choose to display his or her actual name, rather than a PSN name.

If someone recorded footage or is in the middle of streaming a game, you’ll be able to quickly view that from the “What’s New” page. While watching recorded footage or a stream, you’ll have the option to buy the game being played from the PSN instantly.

Facebook integration appears to be a big part of Sony’s new direction. Trophies can be automatically posted to Facebook, as well as screenshots and recorded game footage.

Game DVR and Streaming

The PS4 is capable of taking a screenshot at any time. This includes the system menu. These screenshots can be uploaded to facebook instantly. There is no “processing” or “uploading” status bar after you select to do so. The action is handled in the background.

Game footage can be captured and recorded on day one. The maximum amount of time for video capture is 15 minutes. Video clips can then be uploaded to Facebook. YouTube uploading is not possible at launch, but the Sony representative stated that it was “something the team is looking into.”

There is currently no way to load the saved screenshots or footage to an external source, such as a USB drive or hard drive. The videos are bound to the PS4, with the exception of Facebook uploading.

Twitch and Ustream livestreaming will also be available on day one. Users can login to Twitch.TV or Ustream and start streaming a game right away. PlayStation Camera and mic support for commentary are built into the program. The user can choose to turn these features off or on.

The developers decide whether streaming will be enabled or disabled for their game, although it is enabled for every PS4 launch game. Developers can also choose to disable streaming for specific parts of their game, presumably to prevent the spreading of spoilers.

Trophies

Trophies will now have a rarity level. They are split into four categories: common, rare, very rare, ultra rare. Each trophy will have a percentage assigned to it that shows what percentage of people who played that game earned that trophy. This adds another layer of competition to the trophy collecting culture.

New PlayStation Store

The store has been given a massive upgrade that will be native to the PS4. The PS3’s store will remain the same.

The store seemed to be significantly faster than the current store. Every PS4 game will be available in the store on its launch day. Games can be purchased, and then played while it downloads. The downloading process will start by downloading just enough of the game to allow you to start playing, and then finish the downloading process while you’re already in the game.

In the case of first-person shooters, the user can tell the PS4 to start downloading single or multiplayer first. This will make it possible for the user to jump right into the mode that he or she wants to play quickly.

This seems to take full advantage of the huge RAM upgrade from the PS3 to the PS4.

Party Chat

Party Chat has finally made its way onto a Sony system. Parties can include a maximum of eight people. The new party chat system also works cross-console with the Vita, meaning vita and PS4 users will be able to chat within the same party.

Quick jump to the browser

The browser can be quickly accessed while double tapping the PlayStation button. The demo suggested the scenario of reading a walkthrough online. A user can quickly switch between browser and game simply by double tapping the button.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Expected a thread about PS4s overheating,I am disappointed.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Both the Xbox One and the PS4 are doing the exact same things this generation.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts

Nice, they're catching up to XBL...from 2006...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

D'aww, cheer up. There's always next-next gen.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@R3FURBISHED:

@R3FURBISHED said:

not quite ps4 is doing 1080p and xbone's doing 720

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

"The machine is designed to stay in stand-by mode. And it'll charge your DualShock 4 while it's resting. FINALLY."

lmao

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R3FURBISHED

@Pray_to_me said:
@R3FURBISHED said:

Except when it is

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60669 Posts

You can tell the "by gamers for gamers" is in full force here guys. Simply stunning. I might have to record some of my own memorable UI experiences with my quad,

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

The PS4 UI is piss-poor compared to this -

Loading Video...

I hope they get to copying as much as they can soon.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Can't wait 'till Friday

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SonofK

@danabo: At this rate, PS4 will be able to do what XBL can do today, in 2019

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

@R3FURBISHED:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Ouch.

SDC is 3 days away guys! MY BODY IS READY.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Are applause in order? Have you seen what you are trying to brag about compared to what the X1 is offering? Rhetorical questions

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

overheat alert and didnt read. Just laughed

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@R3FURBISHED said:

People try and make the PlayStation and the Xbox out to be two completely different machines where both have different endgames and checkpoints they must reach in order to achieve their goal - but they are pretty much the same thing.

That list in the OP shows that off incredibly well, where both consoles do all those things. Sure they go about it differently and have different ideas on what is important but what they achieve is very similar.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Expected a thread about PS4s overheating.

lol So did I.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Looks like a bluer version of the Windows 8 interface.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60669 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

Can't wait 'till Friday

Hard to believe its coming up so fast. To think some people were trying to say Sony would delay the most powerful video game console ever created. :lol : Midnight launch, here I come, can you hear my rolling GS?

awwwww yeahhhhhh

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By XBOunity

@FoxbatAlpha: so simple like its 2006 xbl

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@XBOunity said:

They love it. Welcome to your new UI cows. Take a look around. I'll be over here in 2013 if you need me. lol.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

@R3FURBISHED:

@R3FURBISHED said:

And at $100 cheaper.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SonofK

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@XBOunity said:

They love it. Welcome to your new UI cows. Take a look around. I'll be over here in 2013 if you need me. lol.

Hahahahaha

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9471 Posts

Who cares about the User Interface? Really? lmao.. is that all Xbox fanboys can claim ownage on? lol.. give me a break.

They both look like UI to me. If the PS4's doesn't work then that could be a problem, but as long as I can play games then who cares? I mean really... lol

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By danabo
@FoxbatAlpha said:

@XBOunity said:

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Pray_to_me said:

@R3FURBISHED:

@R3FURBISHED said:

And at $100 cheaper.

Personally I think Sony should have kept the PS Eye as a mandatory peripheral device and charged ~$500 for the package - that way they could have shown that what improvements they have made to the device make it not only a worth while part of the PlayStation experience but one that would not be complete without out.
By removing it they have shown the PS Eye to be a secondary device that will always be something that you do not need.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SonofK

@WitIsWisdom said:

Who cares about the User Interface? Really? lmao.. is that all Xbox fanboys can claim ownage on? lol.. give me a break.

They both look like UI to me. If the PS4's doesn't work then that could be a problem, but as long as I can play games then who cares? I mean really... lol

I guess they just don't want play on PSN's laggy ass servers.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FoxbatAlpha

@Pray_to_me said:

@R3FURBISHED:

@R3FURBISHED said:

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag

@R3FURBISHED said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Pray_to_me said:

@R3FURBISHED:

@R3FURBISHED said:

And at $100 cheaper.

Personally I think Sony should have kept the PS Eye as a mandatory peripheral device and charged ~$500 for the package - that way they could have shown that what improvements they have made to the device make it not only a worth while part of the PlayStation experience but one that would not be complete without out.

By removing it they have shown the PS Eye to be a secondary device that will always be something that you do not need.

Of course you would think that because then you wouldn't feel so foolish about being forced to buy Kinect. And you can get a PS4 and the camera for $460 so why charge $500?

So far we haven't seen a single way Kinect improves the core gaming experience. It is included so they can target ads to you.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WitIsWisdom

@SonofK: PS3 and 360 both had laggy ass servers... just horrible lag in most games. Some handled it well like Medal of Honor Warfighter... others like CoD play like crap on either...

I think the gap will be a LOT smaller even still this gen though.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Pray_to_me said:

@R3FURBISHED:

@R3FURBISHED said:

And at $100 cheaper.

And putting sony $50 into more debt for each one sold. You better get a plus subscription if you wanna help them sir.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SonofK

@WitIsWisdom said:

@SonofK: PS3 and 360 both had laggy ass servers... just horrible lag in most games. Some handled it well like Medal of Honor Warfighter... others like CoD play like crap on either...

Who said anything about the PS3 or 360? The XB1 is having ALL dedicated servers, Microsoft spent a few hundred million in buying a data center, unlike Sony's broke ass that's going to be running laggy ass servers, and any dedicated servers they'll have are gonna be ran third party.

Killzone is probably going to be the big PS4 multiplayer game for a while, and even that game doesn't have true dedicated servers.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XBOunity

@danabo said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

@XBOunity said:

lol hahahahaha funny stuff,

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R3FURBISHED

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Of course you would think that because then you wouldn't feel so foolish about being forced to buy Kinect. And you can get a PS4 and the camera for $460 so why charge $500?

So far we haven't seen a single way Kinect improves the core gaming experience. It is included so they can target ads to you.

What Kinect is capable of is superior to what video games can offer - its use as a sensory device and as a tool to expedite the process of menu navigation is more akin to what the Kinect should be doing.

And I never said a PS4 with included PS Eye would cost $500 I said it would cost "~$500". Thus the inclusion of the tilde.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

Lol at the insecure Lem alts in this thread.

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 Multipass35
Member since 2013 • 312 Posts

@SonofK: confirmed the ps4 won't do any of that at launch lol. You need gaikai to stream and it's not even operational. Lol

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@SonofK said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

Who said anything about the PS3 or 360? The XB1 is having ALL dedicated servers, Microsoft spent a few hundred million in buying a data center, unlike Sony's broke ass that's going to be running laggy ass servers, and any dedicated servers they'll have are gonna be ran third party.

Killzone is probably going to be the big PS4 multiplayer game for a while, and even that game doesn't have true dedicated servers.

Are you really that dense? lol

XB1 is not having all dedicated servers... they are going to be virtual servers that are over the "cloud." You do realize SONY has "cloud" servers too right?

However it is amazing how much you know about the PS4 and X1 servers with all your hands on time and comparisons you have made 1st hand... please enlighten me some more... but don't get your panties all in a twist...

I'm not a fanboy like you.... lol. It is easy to see how SONY is dominating right now.. to say otherwise is just ignorant. Either way, I will own BOTH, so calm down fella.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NathanDrakeSwag

@R3FURBISHED said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

What Kinect is capable of is superior to what video games can offer - its use as a sensory device and as a tool to expedite the process of menu navigation is more akin to what the Kinect should be doing.

And I never said a PS4 with included PS Eye would cost $500 I said it would cost "~$500". Thus the inclusion of the tilde.

Kinect is a glorified remote control. Nobody wants to talk to their TV.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SonofK

@NineTailedGoku said:

Lol at the insecure Lem alts in this thread.

If you have any credibility it would of died with this post, luckily you have none so that's a free pass to say anything you like regardless of how idiotic it is.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R3FURBISHED

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Kinect is a glorified remote control. I don't want to talk to my TV.

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/12/dancing-with-kinects-future-in.html

1. Health and medicine

Chris Niehaus, director of U.S. public sector innovation at Microsoft, blogged at length about Kinect applications in telemedicine, neurological processes, physical therapy and medical training. While Niehaus has a strong motive to highlight the best of Kinect, his post explores the concept well.

R.O.G.E.R. shows how Kinect can be applied to post-stroke patients. For a sense of how motion gaming has already made an impact in this direction, recall the stories about veterans undergoing “Wii-hab” last year, or the cybertherapy pilots underway at various militaries.

2. Special needs children and adults

Look no further than the story of Kinect and John Yan’s four-year-old autistic son for a real-world example of how a different interface can literally open up new worlds. Research into computerized gaming and autism already reveals the potential for mirroring applications to improve facial recognition. Kinect hacks might take this further.

____

Among others - and I took the liberty to amend your statement in the above quote.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

I really hope you aren't talking about voice commands because you don't need Kinect to do that. Even the PS4 has voice commands.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@The_Rick_14 said:

I really hope you aren't talking about voice commands because you don't need Kinect to do that. Even the PS4 has voice commands.

Through a remote control that its creator has seemingly deemed unimportant by its exclusion from the PS4 console.

But yes, Kinect does expedite the process of navigating through the Xbox One UI.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SonofK

@WitIsWisdom said:

@SonofK said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

Are you really that dense? lol

XB1 is not having all dedicated servers... they are going to be virtual servers that are over the "cloud." You do realize SONY has "cloud" servers too right?

However it is amazing how much you know about the PS4 and X1 servers with all your hands on time and comparisons you have made 1st hand... please enlighten me some more... but don't get your panties all in a twist...

I'm not a fanboy like you.... lol. It is easy to see how SONY is dominating right now.. to say otherwise is just ignorant. Either way, I will own BOTH, so calm down fella.

Are...you an idiot? Rhetorical question

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2013/09/09/microsoft-data-center-expansion/

The XB1 is using PHYSICAL Dedicated servers...for ALL of their games..

Seriously I know thinking hurts your brain but try it for a second...if they were going to use virtual servers then WHY would they dump a bazillion dollars into a data center?

Yeah, Sony does have Gaikai, and last time I checked Gaikai wasn't on the same planet as Azure so it's a moot point. Having something and having something of equal quality and usability are two different things.

That explains why Sony's premiere shooter doesn't have true dedicated servers

Loading Video...

Since you seem to have your head shoved firmly up Sony's rear end how about we make a wager? When the XB1 and PS4 are both out, lets see who has a significantly better online infrastructure, when the PS4 loses, you leave SW for good.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

@walloftruth said:

@MonsieurX said:

Haha me too, these damn consoles can never stay cool, unlike a well cooled PC.

is there a reason why you have my profile pic?

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 danabo

@R3FURBISHED said:

@The_Rick_14 said:

Through a remote control that its creator has seemingly deemed unimportant by its exclusion from the PS4 console.

It's no Xbox One Kinect: PS4 voice commands will be strangled to start.
PlayStation Camera is definitely not Kinect

Sony is holding a PS4 preview event in New York this week at which the PS4's voice command capabilities - or lack thereof - came to light.

Unlike the Xbox One, the PlayStation 4 will feature extremely limited voice command capabilities, Engadget reported.

Using a separately purchased PlayStation camera, PS4 users can vocally tell the console to start a game or turn off.

But voice commands can't be used to make the PS4 turn on or do much else, and not a single third-party app will utilize them when the new Sony console launches on Friday.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-voice-commands-will-be-extremely-limited-at-launch-1198548

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R3FURBISHED

@danabo said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

It's no Xbox One Kinect: PS4 voice commands will be strangled to start.

PlayStation Camera is definitely not Kinect

Sony is holding a PS4 preview event in New York this week at which the PS4's voice command capabilities - or lack thereof - came to light.

Unlike the Xbox One, the PlayStation 4 will feature extremely limited voice command capabilities, Engadget reported.

Using a separately purchased PlayStation camera, PS4 users can vocally tell the console to start a game or turn off.

But voice commands can't be used to make the PS4 turn on or do much else, and not a single third-party app will utilize them when the new Sony console launches on Friday.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-voice-commands-will-be-extremely-limited-at-launch-1198548

What Kinect is doing is unlike anything else - and what Kinect could possibly do in the future is seemingly endless if the resources are continued to be supplied (phrasing?).

Though I do not see why the supply of resources would be stopped nor do I doubt Microsoft when they said that Kinect will be better understood upon actually using it rather than just reading about it or seeing a video of what it can do.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@danabo said:

The PS4 UI is piss-poor compared to this -

Loading Video...

I hope they get to copying as much as they can soon.

I hate Win8 and Metro, so what do you think i think about this...