The PS3's hardware was designed around selling blu-ray, not videogames.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluebrad1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 bluebrad1974
Member since 2005 • 5162 Posts
As a game console the PS3's hardware design is flawed. Lack of general purpose processing, outdated GPU, a CPU that is designed for imagery(isn't that the GPU's job?). A slew of game developers have voiced their disgust with the PS3's design  Either the engineers at Sony don't have a clue as to what the actual content of videogames consists of, or the PS3 was designed around blu-ray, not videogames.
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
*jawn* Please stop with all the BS fanbyoy ranting. Read the link in my sig befor you start rambling on about this please.
nivet14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 nivet14
Member since 2006 • 5329 Posts
Another ps3 basher.............:roll:
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
i agree with you bluebrad...even if sony didn't make a flawed console, they are advertising the ps3 as more of a blu-ray player than a video game console.
bluebrad1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bluebrad1974
*jawn* Please stop with all the BS fanbyoy ranting. Read the link in my sig befor you start rambling on about this please.trasherhead
I know all about the Cell. If anyone thinks the Cell's design is ideal for gaming solutions then the word ignorant comes to mind. Ironically, the Cell(a CPU) could run a blu-ray player without a GPU.
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts
I agree. The high price, low production rates and delayed release are all because of blue ray. That said, the high price makes the low production rate irrelevant since even at the rate they are shipping them they don't seem to be in high demand.
FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
I've just read too many programmer and developer blogs about the PS3's hardware that make me unable to say this isn't true. Most of them seem to agree it's not build for gaming and loses it's 'hyped' raw power when games need to be developed for it.
bluebrad1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bluebrad1974

I've just read too many programmer and developer blogs about the PS3's hardware that make me unable to say this isn't true. Most of them seem to agree it's not build for gaming and loses it's 'hyped' raw power when games need to be developed for it.FearlessSpirit
Another point of proof is the fact that 360/PS3 ports are always superior on 360, even though the PS3 version usually has an extended development time. If the PS3 is such a great gaming hardware design, why does that happen?

Sony's original plan with the PS3 was to use the Cell for both CPU and GPU. After all they had already discovered they could use the Cell as an imaging device for blu-ray. They tried for 2 years to get the Cell to do 3D graphics. When they discovered that they couldn't, they quickly made a deal with Nvidia for a GPU, and slapped it in the PS3.

mathew952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 mathew952
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Links that agree:

Developers prefer 360

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25247543&page=0

XINTSUAI2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XINTSUAI2
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts
Other microsoft bot making bad news for the PS3....
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Its true. Sonys main marketing plan behind the PS3 was to sell its blu-ray software, not games. look at it.

Sony sells its HDTVs, Then sells its PS3's to those HDTV owners, then those people buy Blu-ray Movies to watch on their HDTV's with their PS3s.

its all interconnected.
nvorgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nvorgang
Member since 2005 • 162 Posts
I dont care, I just want both a PS3, 360, and a Wii. Could care less if my game had a little extra graphical polish.
Developers may **** about the hardware all they want, but once more and more get used to the design, we'll see some neat programming tricks for it.

I still think that Sony is advertising the PS3 as a Blu-ray player more than a gaming machine though. I think that Blu-ray will do well. Sony might have a bad rep when it comes to new tech (betamax, umd, what-else?), but I think blu-ray will catch on due to the PS3. The fact that the player is built in the machine helps. I'm not a tech genius, but does blue-ray only display in 1080p or if not will it go strait to 480i or will it downscale according to your tv? People have been saying so many things when it comes to that I'm really confused. This is the factor that really is the swing vote for me to get a PS3 or not because I do not have a 1080p tv.
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
I dont care, I just want both a PS3, 360, and a Wii. Could care less if my game had a little extra graphical polish.
Developers may **** about the hardware all they want, but once more and more get used to the design, we'll see some neat programming tricks for it.

I still think that Sony is advertising the PS3 as a Blu-ray player more than a gaming machine though. I think that Blu-ray will do well. Sony might have a bad rep when it comes to new tech (betamax, umd, what-else?), but I think blu-ray will catch on due to the PS3. The fact that the player is built in the machine helps. I'm not a tech genius, but does blue-ray only display in 1080p or if not will it go strait to 480i or will it downscale according to your tv? People have been saying so many things when it comes to that I'm really confused. This is the factor that really is the swing vote for me to get a PS3 or not because I do not have a 1080p tv.
nvorgang
How will it catch on when the PS3 is being crushed in every market
djxaquaxblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 djxaquaxblue
Member since 2004 • 2539 Posts
i agree with you bluebrad...even if sony didn't make a flawed console, they are advertising the ps3 as more of a blu-ray player than a video game console.Eddie5vs1

how are they advertising it as more of a blu-ray console? every PS3 commercial has something to do with gaming. maybe just because you see more blu-ray related movie commercials propably means that it's doing a hell of a lot better than HD DVD.
nvorgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nvorgang
Member since 2005 • 162 Posts
the Invisible hand of the free market?  IDK...I just prefer the blu-ray.  The blu-ray is the x-factor of the ps3.  If blu ray fails, so does ps3...if not, who knows.  
bluebrad1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bluebrad1974
I've just read too many programmer and developer blogs about the PS3's hardware that make me unable to say this isn't true. Most of them seem to agree it's not build for gaming and loses it's 'hyped' raw power when games need to be developed for it.FearlessSpirit
I agree, the proof is right in front of everyones face. The proof is also in the components Sony used for the PS3.