The Problem With Wii Third Parties

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

System Warriors here, and in other places, often cry out that third party games dont sell well, and that this is somehow the fault of Nintendo, the "Wii demographic" or some other assumption that always fails to take into account the actual software itself. The fact of the matter is that third parties have failed to make AAA budget, quality software in genres that appeal to a mainstream audience - the kind of people that make up the bulk of software sales on the PS3 and 360.

Now you may misunderstand me at this point; I am not talking about scores recieved here or anywhere else. Certain third party games have recieved cult status, and critical acclaim in many sources. My point is relevancy.

In terms of quality, though, many third party Wii games fall short of expectations. Developers often complain of competition with Nintendo, but even on the GameCube, offerrings were better than on the Wii; there was software that held its own against Nintendo's best, which created a rich and diverse library of interesting titles.

For the sake of comparison:

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 eveileb-ekam

Gamecube

Metroid Prime

The Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventure

SSB Melee

Pikmin 1 and 2

F-Zero GX

Mario Kart Double Dash

Fire Emblem

Animal Crossing

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Competing with the likes of:

Resident Evil series

Madden

Soul Calibur II

Viewtiful Joe

Eternal Darkness

SSX

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Trilogy

Burnout

Timesplitters

Beyond Good and Evil

Super Monkey Ball

Tales of Symphonia

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

The Sims

This is good third party comparison. With the Wii, on the other hand, you have Nintendo's staple franchises competing with the likes of

Okami, a PS2 port.

A Boy and His Blob, a 2D platform puzzler.

Resident Evil 4, a port.

No More Heroes, a deliberately satiricle piece of software with a deliberately poor overworld and retro graphics.

Muramasa, another sidescroller.

Zack and Wiki, the very definition of a game with an identity crisis; a difficult Japanese point and click adventure game with childish dressings.

deBlob, a niche musical platformer.

MadWorld, a short bralwer with over the top violence, repetetive gameplay and annoying announcers.

Umbrella / Darkside chronicles, on rails RE spin offs.

Dead Space extraction, another on rails shooter from an IP that wasnt.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, a game where the majority of the Western population doesnt know the second half of the cast.

Games that did well on the Cube have lost their appeal on the Wii, such as Madden.

However good, these games cannot compete with the third party offerings on the Cube. They are not mainstream enough, they dont have the same marketing and they simply dont have the same level of polish.

My point is, the next time you criticise Nintendo for the third party situation on the Wii, you might want to think about who is really at fault for the poor sales. If a machine like the GameCube can consistently play host to a variety of core, mainstream content, then there is really no reason why the Wii cannot either.

All that is left is excuses.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

reserved

eveileb-ekam
Why compete when you can avoid the situation altogether.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

Hey I agree with you OP.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eveileb-ekam
[QUOTE="eveileb-ekam"]

reserved

Dibdibdobdobo

Because competition happens regardless of platform. The complaint about it is a hollow one, merely an excuse not to develop for the machine.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
well said, but your thread will go ignored
BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts

Most of the 3rd party GCN games are multiplat, and it's not so easy to port games to Wii from the HD twins. Also, I think Eternal Darkness is first party.

raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
Its Wii Turd Parties
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 eveileb-ekam
This is true, yet the iPhone is getting a lot of support that the Wii should really have. For example, Street Fighter IV. That game would sell well on any platform, and the fact it isnt on the Wii yet TvC is is a ridiculous oversight. TvC is a great game, but if Capcom wanted software to move units, then they should have ported their main game. I think its second party, actually. Ah well, I had a momentary blank :)
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eveileb-ekam
Its Wii Turd Partiesraskullibur
Excellent contribution to the thread, there. Well done!
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I don't blame Nintendo for it, but I do blame the Wii for it.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 eveileb-ekam
I don't blame Nintendo for it, but I do blame the Wii for it.locopatho
What fault is it of the Wii's? I mean, if companies make the effort to downport to the iPhone, then surely a Wii version is not out of the question? Especially if it would sell like a Resident Evil 5 or Street Fighter IV. Activision have had great success with Guitar Hero, and even a respectable amount of success for Call of Duty, which merely rode on the back of its HD siblings marketing campaign and, in Reflex's case, was stealth released two years later when the sequel was coming out.
tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts

Gamecube

Metroid Prime

The Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventure

SSB Melee

Pikmin 1 and 2

F-Zero GX

Mario Kart Double Dash

Fire Emblem

Animal Crossing

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Competing with the likes of:

Resident Evil series

Madden

Soul Calibur II

Viewtiful Joe

Eternal Darkness

SSX

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Trilogy

Burnout

Timesplitters

Beyond Good and Evil

Super Monkey Ball

Tales of Symphonia

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

The Sims

This is good third party comparison. With the Wii, on the other hand, you have Nintendo's staple franchises competing with the likes of

Okami, a PS2 port.

A Boy and His Blob, a 2D platform puzzler.

Resident Evil 4, a port.

No More Heroes, a deliberately satiricle piece of software with a deliberately poor overworld and retro graphics.

Muramasa, another sidescroller.

Zack and Wiki, the very definition of a game with an identity crisis; a difficult Japanese point and click adventure game with childish dressings.

deBlob, a niche musical platformer.

MadWorld, a short bralwer with over the top violence, repetetive gameplay and annoying announcers.

Umbrella / Darkside chronicles, on rails RE spin offs.

Dead Space extraction, another on rails shooter from an IP that wasnt.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, a game where the majority of the Western population doesnt know the second half of the cast.

Games that did well on the Cube have lost their appeal on the Wii, such as Madden.

However good, these games cannot compete with the third party offerings on the Cube. They are not mainstream enough, they dont have the same marketing and they simply dont have the same level of polish.

My point is, the next time you criticise Nintendo for the third party situation on the Wii, you might want to think about who is really at fault for the poor sales. If a machine like the GameCube can consistently play host to a variety of core, mainstream content, then there is really no reason why the Wii cannot either.

All that is left is excuses.

eveileb-ekam
Who knows? It could be that the Gamecube was as powerful as its peers but hey, what do i know?
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Gamecube>>>Wii Love my Cube
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="tok1879"] Who knows? It could be that the Gamecube was as powerful as its peers but hey, what do i know?

Somebody gets it!
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
[QUOTE="eveileb-ekam"][QUOTE="Dibdibdobdobo"][QUOTE="eveileb-ekam"]

reserved

Because competition happens regardless of platform. The complaint about it is a hollow one, merely an excuse not to develop for the machine.

I agree that the argument is hollow and quite dumb. Developers have looked down upon the Wii since day 1 and that mentality has never really changed with many of the top developers. When they do develop for the console they ignore advertising and expect it the games to sell, The only company which can get away with not advertising is quite litterally Nintendo as soon as they release anything its going to be hyped to no ends.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eveileb-ekam
So although Call of Duty has sold well, despite being an afterthought piggybacking on the success of the HD SKUs marketing campaign and, although some games have been ported to the iPhone, there is still evidence to suggest that it is not worth porting at all? Im sorry, but that is bull. Developers might have issues about the power output of the Wii, but the fact remains it is a viable platform if you want to make a lot of money. The chance to do so diminished with time as consumers get burnt by half-baked and niche products. The Cube might have had the benefit of being closer to its peers, but it did not have the advantages of cheaper development and an install base that matches the other two. It is worth developing mainstream products for the Wii. If they have the time and energy to produce the kinds of games I have listed, then they have the time to downport their mainstream stuff.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 locopatho
[QUOTE="locopatho"]I don't blame Nintendo for it, but I do blame the Wii for it.eveileb-ekam
What fault is it of the Wii's? I mean, if companies make the effort to downport to the iPhone, then surely a Wii version is not out of the question? Especially if it would sell like a Resident Evil 5 or Street Fighter IV. Activision have had great success with Guitar Hero, and even a respectable amount of success for Call of Duty, which merely rode on the back of its HD siblings marketing campaign and, in Reflex's case, was stealth released two years later when the sequel was coming out.

There has been excuses, justifications, articles, etc for about 3 or 4 years now, about why the Wii and it's 3rd party isn't as good as 360. I don't honestly care anymore. Right now, what I know is 360 gets tons and tons of high quality 3rd party games and the Wii doesn't. Full stop. Explain and excuse all day long, simple fact is the Wii is never going to be an amazing console, it will never get major 3rd party support, and the sooner people accept that the better.
Avatar image for LiquidSnake1001
LiquidSnake1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LiquidSnake1001
Member since 2009 • 673 Posts
Yea but they've still made a AA games which would have sold much better on ps3/360. Anyway why should they make good games for Wii, it's 8 year old hardware limits their creativity.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

You wanna know why the Cube got more 3rd party love? Because it was of comprable power with its peers and had a comprable control scheme. This time aroun their is a huge gap in specs and the wii is simply too different on the control front for easy porting. Not to mention the install base nintendo has created is extremely unpredictable because its made up mostly of people who don't know much about video gamesand can't tell quality from crap.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 eveileb-ekam
Yea but they've still made a AA games which would have sold much better on ps3/360. Anyway why should they make good games for Wii, it's 8 year old hardware limits their creativity.LiquidSnake1001
Have they? What games would have sold better on the HD twins? Pray tell. Old hardware cannot limit creativity. They should make good games for the Wii because there are people out there willing to buy good games.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eveileb-ekam

You wanna know why the Cube got more 3rd party love? Because it was of comprable power with its peers and had a comprable control scheme. This time aroun their is a huge gap in specs and the wii is simply too different on the control front for easy porting. Not to mention the install base nintendo has created is extremely unpredictable because its made up mostly of people who don't know much about video gamesand can't tell quality from crap.

TheGrat1
I have already addressed the power issue. The Wii Remote is as capable of traditional control schemes as other pads, and even if it proves difficult, there are other options for Wii users. Monster Hunter 3 and the Classic Controller Pro, for example. The install base is not unpredictable, it is just made up of a variety of demographics. Developers are used to providing for a single group of mainstream users, rather than a variety. And those new users are more discerning than you might think. It is patronising to think that "casual" users cant tell good software from bad.
tok1879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tok1879
Member since 2005 • 1537 Posts
[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]

eveileb-ekam
I have already addressed the power issue. The Wii Remote is as capable of traditional control schemes as other pads, and even if it proves difficult, there are other options for Wii users. Monster Hunter 3 and the Classic Controller Pro, for example. The install base is not unpredictable, it is just made up of a variety of demographics. Developers are used to providing for a single group of mainstream users, rather than a variety. And those new users are more discerning than you might think. It is patronising to think that "casual" users cant tell good software from bad.

"Wii Remote is as capable of traditional control schemes as other pads..." This is simply false.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Nintendo caused a lot of this themselves though, I recall them criticising Sega for thier work on F-Zero GX which was a superb game, they should have been branching out this gen and encouraging third parties to work with them not expecting them to just because they have the largest install base.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tomarlyn

Nintendo caused a lot of this themselves though, I recall them criticising Sega for thier work on F-Zero GX which was a superb game, they should have been branching out this gen and encouraging third parties to work with them not expecting them to just because they have the largest install base.

SapSacPrime
Really? F-Zero GX is better than any Mario Kart
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

F-Zero : futuristic racer with no items and wheels Mario Kart : fantasy racer with items and wheels Can't compare
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Difference is GC was the second most powerful console and could get multiplat games, while the wii can't even get 90% of the multiplats on the PS/360/PC. All nintendo had to do was make their console powerful enough to do this, the PS2 of the generation, instead they made a slim Gamecube...

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="Pices"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

F-Zero : futuristic racer with no items and wheels Mario Kart : fantasy racer with items and wheels Can't compare

They're both fast paced arcade racers?
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pices

Difference is GC was the second most powerful console and could get multiplat games, while the wii can't even get 90% of the multiplats on the PS/360/PC. All nintendo had to do was make their console powerful enough to do this, the PS2 of the generation, instead they made a slim Gamecube...

Espada12
Nintendo is about innovation and gameplay, not raw power and HD. They don't follow Sony and MS. If they made the Wii capable of doing HD, then it wouldn't have been like it is today. GC slim? Please tell me that you're not serious.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pices
[QUOTE="Pices"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Really? F-Zero GX is better than any Mario Karttomarlyn

They're both fast paced arcade racers?

Comparing MK and f 0 is like comparing Gran Turismo and Wipeout
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Pices

Nintendo is about innovation and gameplay, not raw power and HD. They don't follow Sony and MS. If they made the Wii capable of doing HD, then it wouldn't have been like it is today. GC slim? Please tell me that you're not serious.

Yes I am serious about the GC slim the other consoles are so far in power that the wii is borderline last gen and the wii doing HD would not have in anyway affected gameplay simply because MS and sony are doing the same motion thing with HD consoles and it's working fine from what we have seen.

Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pices
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Pices"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Yes I am serious about the GC slim the other consoles are so far in power that the wii is borderline last gen and the wii doing HD would not have in anyway affected gameplay simply because MS and sony are doing the same motion thing with HD consoles and it's working fine from what we have seen.

Natal and MOVE aren't released yet so you can't conclude if they'll be a success or not. The Wii is stronger than the GC and the Xbox, so how is it a "GC slim"? Nintendo cares about IMPROVING gameplay, they didn't wanna go HD because it wasn't a good idea for them to release at that time. The Ps2 was the weakest, but it was amazing? You know why? Because of the games, not hardware. Even now that the Wii is not HD, its still does great games.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eveileb-ekam

Espada12
Whilst making their console comparable would have probably bettered the situation, my point still stands. If games are being ported to the iphone, such as SFIV, why not to the Wii? If games such as Call of Duty do well on the Wii with minimal effort and no local marketing, why isnt more effort applied to minimise the inital risk? Is building ground up niche titles really less expensive than porting down something mainstream instead? (Dont get me wrong, I love TvC, but SFIV on the Wii would have sold much much more). The Wii's power is only a minor issue.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Pices"] Nintendo is about innovation and gameplay, not raw power and HD. They don't follow Sony and MS. If they made the Wii capable of doing HD, then it wouldn't have been like it is today. GC slim? Please tell me that you're not serious.Pices

Natal and MOVE aren't released yet so you can't conclude if they'll be a success or not. The Wii is stronger than the GC and the Xbox, so how is it a "GC slim"? Nintendo cares about IMPROVING gameplay, they didn't wanna go HD because it wasn't a good idea for them to release at that time. The Ps2 was the weakest, but it was amazing? You know why? Because of the games, not hardware. Even now that the Wii is not HD, its still does great games.

The hardware was also a part of it, fact is it's hardware while not the strongest, could play almost all the titles during that gen. I call it a GC slim because again we have to compare it to the GC and xbox, it belongs in that gen not this one. Also I don't see how improving gameplay has to do with visuals, nintendo was only thinking how to get through this gen as cheap as possible it just so happened the wii was a hit. The wii's power output makes everything cheaper for nintendo, it lowers dev costs, dev time, media costs (lawl a dvd), hardware costs etc etc, I aint asking for much, just be on the same level of the other consoles even though you maybe the weakest. So i'll ask a question, how does HD graphics affect gameplay?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

eveileb-ekam

Whilst making their console comparable would have probably bettered the situation, my point still stands. If games are being ported to the iphone, such as SFIV, why not to the Wii? If games such as Call of Duty do well on the Wii with minimal effort and no local marketing, why isnt more effort applied to minimise the inital risk? Is building ground up niche titles really less expensive than porting down something mainstream instead? (Dont get me wrong, I love TvC, but SFIV on the Wii would have sold much much more). The Wii's power is only a minor issue.

It's simply because they don't believe those titles would sell on the wii or because they believe the hassle of porting down the game and then making it motion compatible is just too much, especially considering the games aren't made with motion controls in mind, the might have to simply make a new game which is what they don't want to do.

Here's the thing, had the wii been given enough power in the first place these things would be a non issue.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 locopatho
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

Agreed. F Zero GX is mindblowing!
smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

There is one reason why third parties shun the Wii, and not as badly shunned the cube: POWER.

Humans are a VERY visual race, thus pretty graphics seem to influence us so heavily. There is NO way around it. Devs are only thinking of the raw power of the console; if the Wii matched the HD twins in hardware, it would be a different story.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 eveileb-ekam

[QUOTE="eveileb-ekam"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

It's simply because they don't believe those titles would sell on the wii or because they believe the hassle of porting down the game and then making it motion compatible is just too much, especially considering the games aren't made with motion controls in mind, the might have to simply make a new game which is what they don't want to do.

But they do make new games, they make these low budget niche ones! And if a game like SFIV isnt made with motion control in mind, it certainly isnt made with the iPod touch in mind either. AND the Wii has other input devices which are available to developers, such as the Classic Controller Pro which Monster Hunter 3 utilises so well. I dont see what is so difficult to understand. If a company doesnt believe that core games can sell on the Wii, so doesnt put any games at all on the machine, then that is one thing. If a company doesnt believe that core games can sell on the Wii, but invests money in developing / publishing a niche title in a spin off series / new and fragile IP instead of quickly porting a highly port-able game to the console, what is the cause of that? Capcom cannot and should not complain about sales of Tatsunoko Vs Capcom when they could have better utilised the same resources to port Street Fighter IV to the Wii. This isnt about the games I do or dont want, but about companies making money.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 eveileb-ekam

Another example:

Resident Evil 4 sold incredibly well for a last gen port with updated controls. It proved there was a market for exactly that type of game, and was nice and easy to produce for Capcom.

Would the money spent on developing and publishing Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles be better served, then, in porting Resident Evil 5 to the Wii? It could have shared assets, would probably have been much cheaper to do that those two games, and would probably have piggybacked on the commercial success of the HD twins, minimising the risk.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

It's Nintendo's fault, because they released an underpowered machine aimed at the casual market, and multiplatform titles like Arkham Asylum are way out of its league. Developers can't port their A Titles to it, making one from scratch is costly and the new wii demographic is generally not that interested in such titles.

It's the hardware, the new direction, the software. They've made their bed, now they're lying in it.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Espada12

But they do make new games, they make these low budget niche ones! And if a game like SFIV isnt made with motion control in mind, it certainly isnt made with the iPod touch in mind either. AND the Wii has other input devices which are available to developers, such as the Classic Controller Pro which Monster Hunter 3 utilises so well. I dont see what is so difficult to understand. If a company doesnt believe that core games can sell on the Wii, so doesnt put any games at all on the machine, then that is one thing. If a company doesnt believe that core games can sell on the Wii, but invests money in developing / publishing a niche title in a spin off series / new and fragile IP instead of quickly porting a highly port-able game to the console, what is the cause of that? Capcom cannot and should not complain about sales of Tatsunoko Vs Capcom when they could have better utilised the same resources to port Street Fighter IV to the Wii. This isnt about the games I do or dont want, but about companies making money.eveileb-ekam

I agree that there should be more resources into developing wii games, but the SF4 ipod thing is different, have you seen how it plays? you can leave the basic input commands and stuff as their is a virtual gamepad on the screen. Also I agree they should port main entrys of franchises on to the wii, but to be honest the devs see that as a waste of money probably. It might just be easier to make a cheaper spin off version from scratch.

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 eveileb-ekam

It's Nintendo's fault, because they released an underpowered machine aimed at the casual market, and multiplatform titles like Arkham Asylum are way out of its league. Developers can't port their A Titles to it, making one from scratch is costly and the new wii demographic is generally not that interested in such titles.

It's the hardware, the new direction, the software. They've made their bed, now they're lying in it.

Chemical_Viking
Developers that already release content on the machine should be porting their AAA titles to it rather than creating new and fragile IPs or low quality spin offs. Would probably cost around the same to do so. The "Wii Demographic" is a ridiculous notion. The market is made of many demographics, each with varying amounts of interest and various degrees of taste. What developers need to do is forget about appealing to the whole, and appeal to their own demographic, the way that films coexist side by side without the tension exhibited in the gaming industry. Besides, Wii gamers have already proved that they are interested in such titles - at the beginning of the lifecycle, they were willing to buy a port of RE4 in their millions.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 eveileb-ekam

[QUOTE="eveileb-ekam"]

But they do make new games, they make these low budget niche ones! And if a game like SFIV isnt made with motion control in mind, it certainly isnt made with the iPod touch in mind either. AND the Wii has other input devices which are available to developers, such as the Classic Controller Pro which Monster Hunter 3 utilises so well. I dont see what is so difficult to understand. If a company doesnt believe that core games can sell on the Wii, so doesnt put any games at all on the machine, then that is one thing. If a company doesnt believe that core games can sell on the Wii, but invests money in developing / publishing a niche title in a spin off series / new and fragile IP instead of quickly porting a highly port-able game to the console, what is the cause of that? Capcom cannot and should not complain about sales of Tatsunoko Vs Capcom when they could have better utilised the same resources to port Street Fighter IV to the Wii. This isnt about the games I do or dont want, but about companies making money.Espada12

I agree that there should be more resources into developing wii games, but the SF4 ipod thing is different, have you seen how it plays? you can leave the basic input commands and stuff as their is a virtual gamepad on the screen. Also I agree they should port main entrys of franchises on to the wii, but to be honest the devs see that as a waste of money probably. It might just be easier to make a cheaper spin off version from scratch.

As I have said, the classic controller exists for a reason, and the Wii Remote worked well enough in Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. If developers see porting main series games as a too costly, then why are they hemorraging money by making these spin offs that simply dont sell? Surely it would be less risky, and cheaper, to just downport? It doesnt seem to do Activision any harm.
Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

Developers that already release content on the machine should be porting their AAA titles to it rather than creating new and fragile IPs or low quality spin offs.eveileb-ekam

Like I've said, the Wii's hardware prohibits them from doing so. When they try, as they did with Dead Rising, it doesn't work so well. There's no point trying to shove Bioshock 2 on wii. You have to tone down everything. Graphics, enemy numbers, AI, physics, just about everything. They can't bring the AAA titles to wii. They can just about put a rail shooter on there of one of their better franchises.

Would probably cost around the same to do so. The "Wii Demographic" is a ridiculous notion. The market is made of many demographics, each with varying amounts of interest and various degrees of taste. What developers need to do is forget about appealing to the whole, and appeal to their own demographic, the way that films coexist side by side without the tension exhibited in the gaming industry. Besides, Wii gamers have already proved that they are interested in such titles - at the beginning of the lifecycle, they were willing to buy a port of RE4 in their millions.

It's not a ridiculous notion to the developers. Let me tell you a truth you are not going to like: these developers, are in it for the money. If they saw real opportunity in making high cost blockbusting titles on the wii, they would do it. All of them. If one or two are shying away, they might be missing it. If they're all shying away, then that should tell you something.

Nintendo has consistently marketed the wii toward the casual market. Not the supposedly basement dwelling nerds who got them where they are today, old people, fitness freaks, post pub drunks, and the nuclear family. They have released scarce hardcore games, and others have shied away from it too. Some indie developers have tried, admirably. Capcom has tried, and if reports are to be believed, they're giving up, because contrary to what you're saying, the general wii buying public isn't that interested in titles like no more heroes and murumasa. They would be better off spending little development cash on a party game than put all their resources into something big. The sales of deeper titles on the wii recently have been really poor. If the market was really there, there is a gap and people would fill it.

As it stands it makes far more sense to not limit yourself. If you want to bring something out on the ultra competitive HD and PC market, you can't be limited by inferior hardware, so you go all out and bring out a title that pulls out all the stops. If you don't, if you hold yourself back to get it out on the wii, the game will not hold it's own against the competition. All developers can do is put out a weak conversion and why bother if it wont sell?

The wii and third party will always remain distant cousins. Be happy for the Nintendo games, that's why you bought the wii.

Avatar image for LiquidSnake1001
LiquidSnake1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LiquidSnake1001
Member since 2009 • 673 Posts
[QUOTE="Chemical_Viking"]

eveileb-ekam
Developers that already release content on the machine should be porting their AAA titles to it rather than creating new and fragile IPs or low quality spin offs. Would probably cost around the same to do so. The "Wii Demographic" is a ridiculous notion. The market is made of many demographics, each with varying amounts of interest and various degrees of taste. What developers need to do is forget about appealing to the whole, and appeal to their own demographic, the way that films coexist side by side without the tension exhibited in the gaming industry. Besides, Wii gamers have already proved that they are interested in such titles - at the beginning of the lifecycle, they were willing to buy a port of RE4 in their millions.

The thing is how many of those RE4 buyers at the start have sold the console, I know about 6 people who got that game but have sold the Wii since, it just isn't worth 3rd parties dumbing down their games for the Wii hardware for it to sell in the 10,000's. The real market is on ps3/360. It's accepted that you own a 360/PS3 for all the great games/exclusives/multiplats and you have a Wii only if you can't miss out on Mario/Zelda/Metroid.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

Here's the thing, had the wii been given enough power in the first place these things would be a non issue.

Espada12
but it's not that simple. since TvC is played without motion controls I don't see why they would need to add it in SF4. also porting down shouldn't be much more of an issue than porting down to iphone. heck with their experience from making TvC for the wii it should have been easy.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pices
[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Pices"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

The hardware was also a part of it, fact is it's hardware while not the strongest, could play almost all the titles during that gen. I call it a GC slim because again we have to compare it to the GC and xbox, it belongs in that gen not this one. Also I don't see how improving gameplay has to do with visuals, nintendo was only thinking how to get through this gen as cheap as possible it just so happened the wii was a hit. The wii's power output makes everything cheaper for nintendo, it lowers dev costs, dev time, media costs (lawl a dvd), hardware costs etc etc, I aint asking for much, just be on the same level of the other consoles even though you maybe the weakest. So i'll ask a question, how does HD graphics affect gameplay?

Sorry, but the Wii is factually a 7th gen console, along with the ps3 and 360 whther you like it or not. Its improved in terms of power from last gn therefore its part of this gen. HD graphics don't matter to some people, like me, because we care about gameplay. Gameplay and innovation is what Nintendo is focusing on, not whiz-whaz technology.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 eveileb-ekam

It tells me that companies are stubbornly resistent to change, and have no idea to cater to more than one market at a time. There are a lot of different films in a lot of different genres, aimed at different people. Most of these films make their money back and then some because they target the right people - something the videogame industry is woefully poor at doing. They are good at aiming products at young boys and they are good at aiming them at mainstream men.

Oh, they got them where they are today? Nintendo has been perceived as child friendly and family friendly since they brought the NES out - in Japan the thing was called the Family Computer for crying out loud. The only deviation Nintendo made with their image was with the Nintendo 64, and it brought them to the brink of ruin. Nintendo do so well because they are producing the same content that they have always produced, and people still love it.

The reports you are referring to stated that Capcom was going to stop shovelling Wii projects out of the door, and better spend the resources producing bigger budget games - which is exactly what I am suggesting in this thread. Monster Hunter 3, Dragon Quest 10, Epic Mickey - these are the games that are going to prove my point.

No More Heroes and Muramasa are exactly the kind of niche games that lose companies money. You really think that these games qualify as big AAA releases? This is exactly what I am referrng to. However much I love these games, they would not sell well on any system. Of course no one is interested in them - they arent mainstream!

Conversions do sell - I have proven it by citing Resident Evil 4, a last generation port, the Call of Duty games, Guitar Hero - these are the only mainstream titles to really talk about outside of Nintendo, and they all sold well enough to prove that a market exists that is willing to buy more of these type of games. I would bet anything that if Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5 and Modern Warfare 2 (and all the other games of this ilk) were ported to the Wii with at least some sense of effort, then they would sell much more than Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, The Darkside Chronicles and Modern Warfare Reflex.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#49 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It tells me that companies are stubbornly resistent to change, and have no idea to cater to more than one market at a time. There are a lot of different films in a lot of different genres, aimed at different people. Most of these films make their money back and then some because they target the right people - something the videogame industry is woefully poor at doing. They are good at aiming products at young boys and they are good at aiming them at mainstream men.

Oh, they got them where they are today? Nintendo has been perceived as child friendly and family friendly since they brought the NES out - in Japan the thing was called the Family Computer for crying out loud. The only deviation Nintendo made with their image was with the Nintendo 64, and it brought them to the brink of ruin. Nintendo do so well because they are producing the same content that they have always produced, and people still love it.

The reports you are referring to stated that Capcom was going to stop shovelling Wii projects out of the door, and better spend the resources producing bigger budget games - which is exactly what I am suggesting in this thread. Monster Hunter 3, Dragon Quest 10, Epic Mickey - these are the games that are going to prove my point.

No More Heroes and Muramasa are exactly the kind of niche games that lose companies money. You really think that these games qualify as big AAA releases? This is exactly what I am referrng to. However much I love these games, they would not sell well on any system. Of course no one is interested in them - they arent mainstream!

Conversions do sell - I have proven it by citing Resident Evil 4, a last generation port, the Call of Duty games, Guitar Hero - these are the only mainstream titles to really talk about outside of Nintendo, and they all sold well enough to prove that a market exists that is willing to buy more of these type of games. I would bet anything that if Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5 and Modern Warfare 2 (and all the other games of this ilk) were ported to the Wii with at least some sense of effort, then they would sell much more than Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, The Darkside Chronicles and Modern Warfare Reflex.

eveileb-ekam
But they are professionals, right? They have to know this already. So what is wrong? Maybe it's just cool as a developer to say that You don't play with the wii? Cause that is what it is starting to look like. They have the excuse of other game sales to get away from developing for it.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 eveileb-ekam
[QUOTE="eveileb-ekam"]

KungfuKitten
But they are professionals, right? They have to know this already. So what is wrong? Maybe it's just cool as a developer to say that You don't play with the wii? Cause that is what it is starting to look like. They have the excuse of other game sales to get away from developing for it.

Just because developers and publishers are "professionals" doesnt mean they know what they are doing with a rapidly expanding market. Ultimately, this industry is going to become as large as the film industry where everyone will want to play games. Developers need to get used to creating content that appeals to people other than them, and publishers need to understand that it isnt "Wii Casual Market" Vs "Traditional Hardcore Gamer Market" - its much much more complicated than that.