The problem with the RTS genre

#1 Edited by FovereverAlone (44 posts) -

The problem with the RTS genre is that people will associate all the RTS genre with only games like age of empires,Starcraft,Command and Conquer,Warcraft and so on...these games are very similiar because they're are in a sub-genre of RTS that never had a name.Take a look at Wolfenstein 3D/DOOM,they are in a FPS sub-genre that is called old-school fps,now take a look at Arma/Battlefield,they are in the military fps sub-genre,they are very different from old-school fps but they are still called as a FPS.Now take a look at Command and Conquer/Starcraft(C&C and Stacraft are to the RTS's what Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM is to FPS's)they are RTS,they are similiar,but people never gave to these games a specific Sub-genre name so they are called just as a RTS,now...take a look at games like Myth,Commandos,Pharaoh,League of Legends,Cities Skylines,Stronghold,Tropico or Nexus: The Jupiter Incident,would you call these games as RTS's ? because technically they are !! just in a different sub-genre.

So...is not the RTS genre that is dying,is the Dune/C&C/Starcraft clones that are rare nowadays just like the Wolfenstein 3d/DOOM clones are rare nowadays.

#2 Edited by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

The media didn't/doesn't cover it because it's a difficult game to put on console. And they sucked off big Publishers. So PC centric genres unless money making MMOS were typically ignored with the exceptions of the likes of Blizzard or EA.

Gametrailers was notorious for this. They basically shat on pc every opportunity they could get.

Loading Video...

Thankfully, due to the likes of Youtube and word of mouth through Steam, we've slowly moved away from those (shitty) days.

The most popular and influential games of this generation Survival/Battle-Royal derive from a Arma 2 pc mode, the the big companies latching onto it like a disgusting aids ridden a tic because they no longer drive the choo-choo.

#3 Edited by FovereverAlone (44 posts) -

I don't think Media or Consoles is a problem,alot of niche games are sucessfull in the pc: The Paradox Games,City Builders,RimWorld...

The problem is that people don't consider any real time strategy games other than Starcraft and similiar games as RTS's,so by that logic any other FPS games than DOOM clones or old-school shooters are not FPS.There alot of RTS games out there ! they are just different than Starcraft,now the Starcraft sub-genre is indeed fading just like the DOOM clones are rare in some years ago.

#4 Posted by Ant_17 (12712 posts) -

No, rts is dead. Starcraft is a religion in Korea, not a video game.

#5 Posted by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

What?

First of all, RTS is not dead.

Second of all, LoL and Myth and Cities Skylines are not RTS games. They have their own genre descriptions.

I don't know why you feel the need to redefine what RTS means.

BTW, picked up Ancestors Legacy recently - pretty good and refreshing RTS! Looking forward to Iron Harvest too

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31419 posts) -

Strategy is the genre, RTS is the subgenre.

You got other subgenres like: 4X, grand strategy, real time tactics and city builders.

Honestly I love most strategy games.

For RTS: I love Age of Empires, C&C, Company of heroes, but I don't like Starcraft

RTT: I love the Commandos series, Desperados and the excellent Shadow Tactics

City Builders: I love the new Anno

#7 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31419 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

What?

Second of all, LoL and Myth and Cities Skylines are not RTS games. They have their own genre descriptions.

BTW, picked up Ancestors Legacy recently - pretty good and refreshing RTS! Looking forward to Iron Harvest too

• Age of Empires IV
  • Iron Harvest
  • Warcraft III remaster
  • Conan
  • The Settlers
  • Steel Division II
  • Soldiers: Arena
  • Gates of Hell

I'm looking forward to a lot of RTS games, the future is looking really bright for the genre :)

#8 Posted by FovereverAlone (44 posts) -

@xantufrog: Any strategy game played in real time is a RTS ! RTS stand for "realtime-strategy".Cities Skylines is a strategy game played in real time.Now,one game can have alot of genres,lets look at fallout 4:

Fallout 4 is primarily a RPG,then a Action game,Sandbox,Open-world,First-Person,Third-Person,Shooter and so on...

Cities Skylines is primarily a Strategy game then a City Builder,Real-Time-Strategy,Sandbox,Management and maybe some others minor sub-genres.

RTS is real-time-strategy,any game that is primarily a Strategy game and that is played in real time is part RTS.Even games like Total War and Europa Universalis are part RTS.

#9 Edited by ArchoNils2 (10399 posts) -

TC, you obviously do not understand how the genres work. RTS IS a subgenre. Games like City Skyline are City Builders / Simulation games. They don't belong into the RTS subgenre.

#10 Edited by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

@fovereveralone: dude. I understand where you're coming from, and don't wholly disagree with you, but the devil is in the details

#11 Edited by FovereverAlone (44 posts) -

@ArchoNils2: here look at gamefaqs and steam:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/rankings?platform=0&genre=58&list_type=rate&view_type=0&dlc=0&min_votes=0

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=1676

there alot of games that is not supposed to be RTS yet they are still listed as RTS just because the whole thing is a mess.If we going to consider the true meaning of Real-Time-Strategy then alot of Strategy games are RTS or part RTS.Now if we going to consider only dune 2 clones as RTS then the genre is almost truly dead.

#12 Edited by R4gn4r0k (31419 posts) -

@fovereveralone said:

@ArchoNils2: here look at gamefaqs and steam:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/games/rankings?platform=0&genre=58&list_type=rate&view_type=0&dlc=0&min_votes=0

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=1676

there alot of games that is not supposed to be RTS yet they are still listed as RTS just because the whole thing is a mess.If we going to consider the true meaning of Real-Time-Strategy then alot of Strategy games are RTS or part RTS.Now if we going to consider only dune 2 clones as RTS then the genre is almost truly dead.

LMAO at calling games like Age of Empires or Starcraft dune 2 clones

Are we back to calling FPS DOOM-clones, open world games GTA-clones?

Many games are trying new stuff in the RTS genre, to name a few:

• Company of Heroes: focus on squad control, map domination
  • Iron Harvest
  • Conan and They are billions: focus on survival

In fact, now that I think about it, DOTA and Tower Defense started as genres within the RTS genre.

#13 Posted by NoodleFighter (10452 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Nearly the whole industry during that time was trying to take down PC gaming.

Loading Video...

It seems even in these better days the media and overall industry won't give PC gaming the full credit it is due. I still see a lot of PC games get overlooked by sites and only review/cover them if/after they get released on consoles especially if it's on PS4. A big example of this would be IGN reviewing Mount and Blade: Warband. Even though that game came out in 2010 they decide to review it 6 years later because it came to consoles and they give the game a 6.8 for the dumbest reasons. The PC centric sites such as PC Gamer and Rockpapershotgun are becoming jokes. PC Gamers review of Rimworld was low because of some LGBT crap. PC Gamers news mostly consist of Fortnite, Overwatch, PUBG some new Battle royal/survival game, AAA console centric multiplats and constant articles about games not on PC such as Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA V when it wasn't on PC. Rockpapershotgun while they do cover more lesser known games they still tried to attack the RimWorld devs for supposed "sexism" in the game. Not only that both Rockpapershotgun and PC Gamer appear to be defending the Epic Game Store despite how horrible it's practices are for PC gaming, to the point that millions of PC gamers can't play games that are locked into Epic Store exclusivity because it is blocked in their country or their regional pricing is too high.

#14 Posted by Boddicker (4458 posts) -

Any games where you can speed up/slow down time are NOT "real time" strategy games. Emphasis on the word REAL in RTS.

#15 Posted by mandzilla (4152 posts) -

The RTS genre isn't dead. There's tons of great ones coming out every year on PC, and I personally am really looking forward to Pikmin 4.

#16 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31419 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

The RTS genre isn't dead. There's tons of great ones coming out every year on PC, and I personally am really looking forward to Pikmin 4.

Didn't know there was a new pikmin coming out, I thought they were just going to port Pikmin 3 over from WiiU lol.

#17 Posted by robert_sparkes (3227 posts) -

THe problem I find is they are so slow to get going. Saying that I loved command and conquer red alert on ps1.

#18 Posted by mandzilla (4152 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: Maybe, it's listed as a TBA tentative title according to the Nintendo Life website.

#19 Posted by Lach0121 (11416 posts) -

The problem with the rts genre is a lack of good games. Not many good ones since CoH2.

What we need is a few good ones like C&C.

#20 Posted by VagrantSnow (364 posts) -

Problem with RTS games is that they haven't evolved or adapted with the times. Even new RTS games will usually reference "the golden age" of RTS and rigidly follow design principals established over two decades ago.

Unlike other genres like FPS, RPG, even genres like sports and racing have all evolved over the years, incorporating ideas from other genres and building upon ideas and features with each new game. Not RTS' however. When it comes to RTS, they're still trying to make the same games they were making 20 years ago.

#21 Edited by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

@NoodleFighter: Funny how things work out eh. Both G4 and Gametrailers dead.

PC being currently the most influential platform of this gen thus far.

#22 Edited by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

@vagrantsnow: really. And what RTS games have you played

#23 Posted by jeezers (3153 posts) -

They just need to bring back base building, I really just want a fresh dawn of war or new command and conquer

Rts games without base building sucks,

I miss c&c 3, cant find working servers any more

#24 Posted by VagrantSnow (364 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@vagrantsnow: really. And what RTS games have you played

My most played RTS games would probably be the Command and Conquer games. Played them all from the original Tiberian Dawn on the Sega Saturn all the way up to C&C 4. Played a bunch of different RTS games back around the original Command and Conquer days; Baldies, Dark Reign, Dark Colony, Z, KKND, 7th Legion, Age of Empires, Empire Earth. There's a few more I remember but I'm forgetting the names of them. It was easily my favourite genre before I discovered Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast. Most notable RTS game other than C&C back then that I played would probably be Total Annihilation. Loved that game and its expansion packs. Supreme Commander was also pretty good and Planetary Annihilation is alright but it lacks character imo.

Really got into the original Dawn of War. Was already a fan of 40k so it was a big plus that the game was actually good. Had a few friends whom I would play with pretty much every weekend. Company of Heroes was pretty good too but Dawn of War kept my interest more and C&C 3 was released the year after. Played a bit of Sins of a Solar Empire for a bit but I guess you could consider that more of a 4x game?

Have tried a few more modern RTS games too. I really enjoyed Act of Aggression but the devs abandoned it shortly after release and it didn't really retain a strong playerbase. Tried a bit of Grey Goo and Ashes of the Singularity. They were pretty decent but they didn't really do anything I hadn't already played before. Ironically it had been the 8-bit armies series that entertained me for a good year or two. The constant stream of updates and content kept the multiplayer alive longer than a game of its budget and single player content really should have lived. I played Forged Battalion for a bit when it was in early access but lack of content and updates and the immediate abandonment on launch killed that game pretty quick.

Lately I find myself giving a lot of older strategy games a go. Ones I never got the chance to play back then. Rise of Nations is really a lot of fun and SunAge: Battle for Elysium is pretty good for a game made by one guy. Really sad that Star Wars Battlegrounds stopped working for me on steam. Only just gave it a go a few months ago but now it keeps crashing :(

Have played a bunch of 'RTT' games (non base building) too. My favourite was probably the Ground Control series. GC1 for singleplayer and GC 2 for multiplayer. Loved that you could just drop in and drop out of matches whenever you wanted like a FPS. Wasn't as big a fan of their next game, World in Conflict. It was basically Ground Control 2 but I didn't like the support power system they introduced. Faces/Men of War is a really good RTT series too. I still play them on occasion. Played Dawn of War 2 for a bit but I still preferred the original for the base building.

I really enjoy making maps for RTS games too. Have made a couple for C&C 3 and a bunch for C&C 4. Got a lot of maps on my steam workshop for 8bit armies and Forged Battalion. Also got a few videos up on my youtube channel of matches I've played over the past couple of years. (mostly multiplayer, no commentary)

#25 Posted by bussinrounds (3164 posts) -

RTS games are a lot about fighting the interface the fastest.

#26 Edited by paulvilanoma (3 posts) -

I agree with many of the points here. Sure Dota 2 and LoL are bigger than their ancestors of WC3 and other rts games. Starcraft 2 is still big nowadays and this year I heard about this tournament called World Cyber Games, and their hosting a tournament with Warcraft 3 in it. I think that shows RTS is making a comeback. It is a big international tournament.

#27 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44115 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: lol who is that guy talking in that video? What an idiot.

@fovereveralone said:

The problem with the RTS genre is that people will associate all the RTS genre with only games like age of empires,Starcraft,Command and Conquer,Warcraft and so on...these games are very similiar because they're are in a sub-genre of RTS that never had a name.Take a look at Wolfenstein 3D/DOOM,they are in a FPS sub-genre that is called old-school fps,now take a look at Arma/Battlefield,they are in the military fps sub-genre,they are very different from old-school fps but they are still called as a FPS.Now take a look at Command and Conquer/Starcraft(C&C and Stacraft are to the RTS's what Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM is to FPS's)they are RTS,they are similiar,but people never gave to these games a specific Sub-genre name so they are called just as a RTS,now...take a look at games like Myth,Commandos,Pharaoh,League of Legends,Cities Skylines,Stronghold,Tropico or Nexus: The Jupiter Incident,would you call these games as RTS's ? because technically they are !! just in a different sub-genre.

So...is not the RTS genre that is dying,is the Dune/C&C/Starcraft clones that are rare nowadays just like the Wolfenstein 3d/DOOM clones are rare nowadays.

Strategy is a pretty broad genre. I'd defintely say that all the titles you listed are included in strategy, but not real-time strategy necessarily. That is a pretty specific sub-genre.

Cities: Skylines is a city-builder. True, they are generally played from an overhead view, there's building, and there's resource management...but there's no "strategy" aspect to it. You're not commanding units or raging war, you're managing a city.

Games like Myth and Commandos are real-time tactics. There's a lack of base-building in those games, and the emphasis is all about tactics, units, and things like that. I would include the subgenre of real-time tactics into the overarching genre of strategy, but not real-time strategy.

What I would love to see is more action-strategy games, games like House of the Dying Sun, Battlezone 1 and 2 (the reboots from a few years ago), and the incredibly unknown hidden gem Hostile Waters.

#28 Posted by Vaidream45 (2005 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: you nailed it. Strategy is the main genre. The rest are sub genres (RTS, City builders, etc)

#29 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44115 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Strategy is the genre, RTS is the subgenre.

You got other subgenres like: 4X, grand strategy, real time tactics and city builders.

Honestly I love most strategy games.

For RTS: I love Age of Empires, C&C, Company of heroes, but I don't like Starcraft

RTT: I love the Commandos series, Desperados and the excellent Shadow Tactics

City Builders: I love the new Anno

Strategy games, as a whole, are probably my biggest time sinks when it comes to gaming, and I couldn't be happier about it.

I might play a single-player FPS for 30 hours. I think I played AC Odyssey for about 60 hours, which is pretty impressive in my opinion. But I've spent 500+ hours in Cities: Skylines, 250+ hours in Surviving Mars, a few hundred more in Civilization 6, a few hundred in Factorio, and like 350 hours in Anno 2070.

Looking forward to Anno 1800!

#30 Posted by FovereverAlone (44 posts) -

Anyway,not related to the thread,but today i started playing Starcraft 2 trilogy campaigns for the first time(i'm a fan of the original starcraft campaigns),holy crap ! Starcraft 2 is so boring !!! everything from the cinematics,to the soundtrack,to the voice acting,everything feels like a generic blockbuster movie,SC2 lack of any soul or appeal, really ! feels like World of Warcraft.Now i understand why people hate Diablo 3 so much ! Blizzard nowadays makes every game looking like a generic boring Blockbuster movie to appeal to the masses,**** them !!

I heard SC2 atleast has some good designed single player missions and challenging skirmish against AI,but i don't know if i can stand all the boring bullshit this game throw at my screen !

#31 Posted by PC_Rocks (2555 posts) -

@NoodleFighter said:

@uninspiredcup: Nearly the whole industry during that time was trying to take down PC gaming.

Loading Video...

It seems even in these better days the media and overall industry won't give PC gaming the full credit it is due. I still see a lot of PC games get overlooked by sites and only review/cover them if/after they get released on consoles especially if it's on PS4. A big example of this would be IGN reviewing Mount and Blade: Warband. Even though that game came out in 2010 they decide to review it 6 years later because it came to consoles and they give the game a 6.8 for the dumbest reasons. The PC centric sites such as PC Gamer and Rockpapershotgun are becoming jokes. PC Gamers review of Rimworld was low because of some LGBT crap. PC Gamers news mostly consist of Fortnite, Overwatch, PUBG some new Battle royal/survival game, AAA console centric multiplats and constant articles about games not on PC such as Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA V when it wasn't on PC. Rockpapershotgun while they do cover more lesser known games they still tried to attack the RimWorld devs for supposed "sexism" in the game. Not only that both Rockpapershotgun and PC Gamer appear to be defending the Epic Game Store despite how horrible it's practices are for PC gaming, to the point that millions of PC gamers can't play games that are locked into Epic Store exclusivity because it is blocked in their country or their regional pricing is too high.

This is what Steam undone. Modern PC gaming owe it to Steam and the funny thing is the same crowd of journalists that were touting the death of PC are now attacking Steam. Nevertheless it's hilarious seeing all this because now it's the consoles that are dying...actually dying not transforming.

#32 Edited by NoodleFighter (10452 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@NoodleFighter: Funny how things work out eh. Both G4 and Gametrailers dead.

PC being currently the most influential platform of this gen thus far.

I've noticed that a lot of PC centric devs that jumped ship to consoles last didn't work out well in the end for them despite the seeming promise of their game reaching Halo and CoD sales numbers on consoles. Crytek is the epitome of this. They dumbed the Crysis series down to appeal to console gamers especially the Call Of Duty crowd which as result stripped away a lot of Crysis' identity that it pissed off PC gamers and console gamers just brushed it off as another dime a dozen CoD/Halo clones. They made a launch title console exclusive and it flopped. Now Crytek can barely afford to stay in business and ironically the biggest budget game to use their tech is a PC exclusive funded by PC gamers. John Carmarck of ID Software said that consoles were a higher priority for them. He claimed that the console versions of Rage had a much larger audience than the PC version and then Rage turns out to be a commercial flop that remained forgotten to time until the sequel Rage 2 8 years later gets revealed. Rage ran like crap despite being designed with weak hardware in mind. Other devs such as Ensemble Studios and Lionhead Studios were given the death sentence by Microsoft.

Epic Games are one of the few that got off easy despite being one of the most vocal about PC gaming dying. Unreal Tournament 3 and Bulletstorm flopped but Gears Of War series was a huge success for them. They were apart of the PC Gaming Alliance but hardly did anything. They could have at least ported the other Gears Of War games to PC but they chose not to. Cliffy B who was the main person at Epic besides Tim Sweeney being vocal tried to crawl back to the PC community years later with Lawbreakers and it ended up being a flop but it can't be blamed on piracy or lack of core gamers when Overwatch has sold millions on PC and most likely sold the most copies and Lawbreakers was also on the PS4. It seemed Epic Games was going to suffer a fate similar to Crytek since they no longer had any interest in making singleplayer games anymore due to increased development cost and sales of the Gears Of War series declining. They got lucky with Fortnite and the success of that game is due to them copying games that popularized survival craft and battle royal which originated from PC with Minecraft and PUBG being the two big contenders. If not for that they most likely would have been reduced to just being a game engine provider like Unity and they wouldn't be trying to force their way to the top of the PC gaming market.

@pc_rocks said:

This is what Steam undone. Modern PC gaming owe it to Steam and the funny thing is the same crowd of journalists that were touting the death of PC are now attacking Steam. Nevertheless it's hilarious seeing all this because now it's the consoles that are dying...actually dying not transforming.

Don't forget game companies. Ubisoft and Epic being the two of the largest examples whining about poor PC sales and using it to justify not releasing games on PC or treating it as a lower priority now wanna undercut Steam even though Steam is the one that established this prosperous market they're trying to grab a hold of and their attempts at undercutting Steam can very likely bring PC back into the dark times that they complain about.

#33 Edited by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

@vagrantsnow: fair enough! A gamer after my own heart. Agreed, Grey Goo is ok but just feels flat. I asked because I found the argument that FPS, Sports, etc are evolving more hard to understand - to me they all feel like they've approached the asymptote and changes are now generally incremental. I recently started Ancestors Legacy and I think it's about as fresh an RTS feel as any of the more fresh FPS. New coat of paint, striking visual style, under-used setting, and a lot of squad-unique stances and actions.

I won't argue it does anything "new", but after you've been gaming 30 years it's hard to see anything new in any game. I mainly just worry about "is it fun" and did the elements come together in a fresh feeling way

I'm really looking forward to Iron Harvest

#34 Posted by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

@fovereveralone: yeah the SC2 missions themselves are mostly pretty good (Some are lame). But the story telling is very modern Blizzard

#35 Posted by Jag85 (13595 posts) -

It feels like the RTS genre has devolved with MOBA. If you go back to the roots of RTS, the genre was spawned by a console MOBA, Herzog Zwei. Dune II and Warcraft then adapted its formula into the familiar classic PC RTS template. And now decades later, the RTS genre has devolved back to Herzog Zwei's MOBA style with the likes of Dota and LoL.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#36 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29186 posts) -

mario + rabbids is the only RTS game that counts.

#37 Edited by FovereverAlone (44 posts) -

@xantufrog: the gameplay is fine ! and i pretty sure SC2 is a good multiplayer game,but SC2 failed to provide the grim and dark atmosphere of the original Starcraft,just like diablo 3 failed when compared to Diablo 1 and Diablo 2.Just watch the cinematics of old blizzard games and compare to the new ones,the new ones tries too much to be epic with all over the top action cinematics(just like in a blockbuster movie)instead of making a more creative and atmospheric scene.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#38 Posted by VagrantSnow (364 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

@vagrantsnow: fair enough! A gamer after my own heart. Agreed, Grey Goo is ok but just feels flat. I asked because I found the argument that FPS, Sports, etc are evolving more hard to understand - to me they all feel like they've approached the asymptote and changes are now generally incremental. I recently started Ancestors Legacy and I think it's about as fresh an RTS feel as any of the more fresh FPS. New coat of paint, striking visual style, under-used setting, and a lot of squad-unique stances and actions.

I won't argue it does anything "new", but after you've been gaming 30 years it's hard to see anything new in any game. I mainly just worry about "is it fun" and did the elements come together in a fresh feeling way

I'm really looking forward to Iron Harvest

The changes haven't been quick, for sure but those genres have certainly changed over the past 20-30 years. They have more readily embraced new concepts and have taken advantage of better technology to produce larger and more complex games. There has been a greater mingling of FPS and RPG in both singleplayer and multiplayer with leveling, loot, personalisation and customisation becoming almost as common in a shooter as the guns in the player's hand. RPGs have similarly seen an embrace of more interactive experiences, incorporating less traditional player perspective and control schemes and combat systems to the point where the line between RPG and FPS/TPS can become a bit blurred. Even sports games like Fifa and NBA and all that, while the core gameplay may have remained largely untouched; they have grown to embrace a more personalised singleplayer and multiplayer experience.

RTS on the other hand, I feel had become stagnant long ago. Single player campaigns have been the same linear series of binary result missions where you either fail to complete your objectives and have to start the mission again or you succeed and move on to the next mission. Multiplayer has largely been the same online skirmish battle style with locked in lobby systems. No doubt there have been a number of RTS games who have tried new stuff and added more variety in what they offer but I've never seen anything in particular become a new genre standard like I have seen with other game genres. On a whole, the genre feels like it is still trying to make the same kind of games that were being produced decades ago.

I'd personally like to see more choice and more freedom in RTS games. Larger, more complex games. More personalisation and more ways to play the games. I'd like to see more incorporation of features from other genres that has benefited the rest of gaming over the years. The core gameplay doesn't need to be changed but I do believe there needs to be more to the games themselves than what we were seeing 20 years ago.

#39 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31419 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

You mean turn based tactics?

Lol, the strategy genre is more confusing than I thought :p

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#40 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29186 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

You mean turn based tactics?

Lol, the strategy genre is more confusing than I thought :p

yeah I have no idea.

#41 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31419 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

yeah I have no idea.

My favourite handheld strategy game is Patapon, I don't even know what to call it:

Rhythem RTS ? lol :p

#42 Posted by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@xantufrog said:

What?

• Age of Empires IV
  • Iron Harvest
  • Warcraft III remaster
  • Conan
  • The Settlers
  • Steel Division II
  • Soldiers: Arena
  • Gates of Hell

I'm looking forward to a lot of RTS games, the future is looking really bright for the genre :)

Oh yea, totally forgot about that Conan game. as a fan of the books, I hope it does it some justice.

Most of the Conan games have been terrible, let's be honest. Age Of Conan is about the only decent one that comes to mind, and even that screwed up by basically being an unfinished game.

-

On topic: I agree with Jag, I remember playing Homeworld back in 1999 and just how amazing and exciting it was. I would argue as a "cinematic experience" it surpassed Metal Gear Solid by a fairly wide margin.

Now, can't really think of anything that had that level of SP and innovation. Even Relic have pretty much given up.

#43 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31419 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Oh yea, totally forgot about that Conan game. as a fan of the books, I hope it does it some justice.

Most of the Conan games have been terrible, let's be honest. Age Of Conan is about the only decent one that comes to mind, and even that screwed up by basically being an unfinished game.

-

On topic: I agree with Jag, I remember playing Homeworld back in 1999 and just how amazing and exciting it was. I would argue as a "cinematic experience" it surpassed Metal Gear Solid by a fairly wide margin.

Now, can't really think of anything that had that level of SP and innovation. Even Relic have pretty much given up.

I was kinda divided on Homeworld, though I absolutely love the presentation and style, I found the gameplay to be lacking depth. Or maybe I'm just missing something?

Company of heroes for example just felt way more complex and fleshed out when it comes to the tactics and strategy.

If you want some deeper strategy, I suggest you look into some eastern european games like Gates of Hell or a game with an entirely unique setting like Iron Harvest.

#44 Posted by floppydics (89 posts) -

Rts games will outlast battle royale that's for sure.

#45 Edited by FovereverAlone (44 posts) -

Unpopular opinion: what made old RTS games good was 40% soundtrack,40% cutscenes,20% gameplay