The Persona 5 Hype Thread of YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT COMING (HYPE: AAAE) (9/10 GS HYPE MET) (93 on Metacritic)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Alright, so here’s the thing- at this point, anyone who’s spent even the slightest amount of time on this board knows that I love the Persona series (and especially Persona 4). What a lot of you don’t understand, however, is why I like it as much as I do. Persona is a super niche series- most people have never heard of it, let alone play it. Looking at it from the outside in, it’s hard to tell just why you should care about these games that get incessant hype from a relentless group of loyal fans. It doesn’t help that until now, the series has never been on a relevant system. Today, I’m here to tell you why you should care about Persona. And no, it’s not all about waifus. Well, okay, maybe it is a little bit.

• Persona games are JRPGs known for having amazing stories, great characters, wonderful soundtracks, and a complete subversion of JRPG and anime tropes. They are among the few games that manage to tell meaningful stories, and do so in a way that takes full advantage of the medium. When you play Persona, you’re guaranteed a fun, entertaining, compelling story that you’re an active participant to, that often deals with incredibly nuanced and complex themes- previous games in the series have tackled abandonment, suicide, abusive parenting, homosexuality, gender identity issues, abusive friendships, the pressure to perform and live up to expectations, external loci of identity, social consciousness, society's inherent desire for negative things to happen to generate gossip and discussion, unrequited love, rape, sexual abuse, child deaths, psychopathy, among other things.
  • Persona is a series with an immaculate sense of style- seriously, there is nothing else on the market that you will play that will be as stylish as a Persona game. From the great artstyle to its menus and HUD, from the great voice acting to the amazing soundtracks, Persona games just ooze style from every pore.
  • Social Links- at this point, every RPG and their mother wants to have a character interaction system that lets you build relationships with other party members, but Persona did it first, and it arguably still does it best (as a matter of fact, even western developers like Bioware have cited Atlus and Persona as influences for Mass Effect). Social Links let you decide which character to spend time with, and learn more about them, making the very action of characterization interactive. As you learn more about each character, more complex themes are explored. Plus the very act of getting close to characters ties back to your ability to do well in the actual battling and dungeon crawling of the games, too
  • I've said this twice already, but that soundtrack- Persona 3 and 4 have among the greatest game OSTs of all time, and Persona 5 doesn't look to be much different.
  • Waifus. I mean, I said it already, that is a part of the appeal, at least a little bit.

Previous Persona games have had some glaring problems, however- if you enjoyed them, you enjoyed them in spite of these problems. These problems included drab procedurally generated dungeons that were a slog to get through, a battle system that became far too easy and superficial the further you progressed in the games, mechanics outside of Social Links (and related mechanics) lacking depth, and pacing issues.

Persona 5 fixes all these issues- dungeons are now hand designed, and require the player to put a whole new arsenal of mechanics to use to be able to navigate them (including a new, highly emphasized stealth mechanic); the battle system has new wrinkles and mechanics thrown in to keep throwing curveballs at the player; implementation of new mechanics and polishing of existing ones to ensure the game's quality outside of the social aspects keeps up; and a faster paced story that hits the ground running and does not relent.

Put simply, if you want to play Persona, this is the game to start.And no, you don't need to have played any of the previous games to play this one- all numbered Persona games are standalone and independent (though they do take place in the same universe, and have some references to each other- nothing that gets in the way of a new player understanding what is going on, however, and usually just fan service for series fans).

The TL;DR is- get this game.

MORE COMING SOON ONCE GAMESPOT STOPS SPAZZING OUT

Kotaku Preview:

In the wake of Breath of the Wild turning out to be one of the greatest video games ever made, I have some bad news for your time and wallet: Persona 5 might be up there, too.

The Verge Preview:

Persona 5 could be the series’s breakout moment.

Polygon:

Now, finally, after multiple delays, Persona 5 is actually almost here. I’ve now spent 20 hours with a final version of the game, making my way about two months into the game’s story and midway through its second dungeon. And despite going in with sky high expectations — perhaps higher than any game I’ve reviewed previously — so far I am head over heels with the follow-up that developer Atlus has created.

Digital Trends:

All that was in the first two dozen hours, and if Persona 5 is anything like its predecessors, the game will likely reveal new wrinkles for dozens more. But what’s crucially clear from these initial hours is that Persona 5 is a total refinement of this winning formula. It’s not trying to change or reinvent what made the series beloved by so many fans, but it layers wit, style and smart design over every facet to make the most intuitive and player-friendly version yet. And making the dungeons less repetitive — addressing the biggest weak point of the series to date — is the cherry on top.

God is a Geek:

Persona 5 feels like the culmination of Atlus’ learnings over Persona 3, Persona 4, Catherine, and the modern Shin Megami Tensei games on 3DS. It feels like a grown up Persona experience that isn’t trying to hide anything or appeal to a wider audience by losing its identity like a certain big name Japanese release.

Destructoid:

It's a bit early to definitively pronounce Persona 5 the peak of the series, but it certainly feels like a culmination of sorts, and in light of the fact that its director and key staff responsible are now working on something else entirely, it may be an endcap for a particular era.

Hardcore Gamer:

It may have taken a while, but Persona 5 is well worth the wait. We didn’t even get to talk about the various new activities after school you can participate in and the Social Stats that help determine your capabilities both in school and in relationships. This is a familiar formula has been iterated upon greatly, creating an RPG for the ages. We’re incredibly eager to talk more about Persona 5, but you’ll have to wait for our full review shortly before its release.

MORE COMING SOON

---

A wonderful, heartfelt, special thanks to @_Matt_, who not only designed all the wonderful banners in this thread (keeping up with my highly exacting and eccentric requests), but also found the Persona 5 font for me so I could have all text in the OP stylized. You rock, Matt!

Special thanks also to @aigis, who decided to take time out to help me with the transparency/alpha effects hell I was facing with my PNG images, and, taking pity on me, added some white to them for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

AAAAE

1. charizard1605
  2. Maroxad
  3. Aigis
  4. Zassimick
  5. Zensword
  6. MetalSlimeNite
  7. jennyfer1x
  8. princeofshapeir
  9. _Matt_
  10. ni6htmare01
  11. cainetao11
  12. RageQuit4Life
  13. PonchoTaco
  14. mmmwksil
  15. adsparky
  16. mems_1224
  17. PutASpongeOn
  18. k--m--k
  19. ConanTheStoner
  20. DocSanchez
  21. Legend002
  22. Black_Goku

AAAE:

1. Syn_Valence
  2. silversix_
  3. ellos
  4. DaVillain-
  5. Seabas989
  6. Basinboy
  7. mjorh
  8. TRega123
  9. _gamemaster_
  10. Blazed
  11. jaydan
  12. Sollet
  13. logicallizard07
  14. smashed_pinata
  15. N64DD
  16. Planeforger
  17. getyeryayasout
  18. KungfuKitten
  19. the_master_race
  20. ArchoNils2
  21. blueinheaven
  22. King_Dodongo
  23. LegatoSkyheart
  24. Bread_or_Decide
  25. Flubbs
  26. Sailor232
  27. W1NGMAN-
  28. kingjazziephiz
  29. Howmakewood
  30. AnthonyAutumns
  31. David719
  32. superbuuman
  33. tormentos
  34. CTR360
  35. Heil68
  36. BIOKILLER123
  37. Jag85
  38. fend_oblivion
  39. Lundy86_4

AAE:

1. mojito1988
  2. PikachuDude860
  3. FireEmblem_Man
  4. KBFloYd
  5. PopGatcha
  6. Dakur
  7. freedom01
  8. madsnakehhh
  9. zero_epyon
  10. Phazevariance

AE:

1. ButDuuude

BELOW AE:

1. PhazonBlazer
  2. 93BlackHawk93
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23893 Posts

Put me down as AAAA.

That is not a joke.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

I'll say below A, game looks like a PS3 game

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I played 3 and 4. I just do not get it. These games just did nothing for me whatsoever. (Although, I do like the Junes Theme song and Reach out for the truth battle song lol). I guess I will hype it 8 (although I doubt I will get it after not really enjoying the last 2 games)

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

8/10, Gamespot gets lost and complains they can't figure out its sense of direction.

naw 10/10

Get aboard the hype train @iandizion713

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@charizard1605 You get the Take it to Heart edition?

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

8/10. =P

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mojito1988

I also find it so odd that they never show gameplay. So odd to not be able to just see a bunch of actual gameplay at this point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@n64dd said:

Naw, couldn't. Regular ole' Day One Edition for me

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@mojito1988: ? You can find a ton of gameplay

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#12 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

We have one perfect 10 already, and it's absurd to think we'll have another one so quickly.

But hell, put me down for AAAA. I'm on the train!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mojito1988 said:

I also find it so odd that they never show gameplay. So odd to not be able to just see a bunch of actual gameplay at this point.

There is 17 hours of just the English gameplay footage online at this point...

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N64DD

@charizard1605 said:
@n64dd said:

Why so?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@n64dd said:
@charizard1605 said:
@n64dd said:

Why so?

Blame Nintendo

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2137 Posts

AAA

Too many great games this year its insane.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maroxad

@mojito1988 said:

I played 3 and 4. I just do not get it. These games just did nothing for me whatsoever. (Although, I do like the Junes Theme song and Reach out for the truth battle song lol). I guess I will hype it 8 (although I doubt I will get it after not really enjoying the last 2 games)

I am pretty much in the same boat. Although I havent played 3.

But 4 was one of the worst jRPGs I have ever played. And I say that as someone who strongly dislikes jRPGs as it is.

That said, it is no doubt Persona has a lot of goodwill by now. And this looks to be the strongest entry in the franchise yet. I feel it has arguably the strongest shot of getting an AAAA of all upcoming games outside of Star Citizen.

Especially since 10 just means Essential now. And I can see it being very possible that Gamespot considers P5 to be essential for any PS4 owner.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mojito1988

@charizard1605 said:
@mojito1988 said:

ok thanks just odd (imo) to not have any gameplay in your hype thread. I think it would help people to decide for hype if you post at least one gameplay video with your three cut scene videos. (then again that could just be my odd way of thinking. )

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mojito1988 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@mojito1988 said:

ok thanks just odd (imo) to not have any gameplay in your hype thread. I think it would help people to decide for hype if you post at least one gameplay video with your three cut scene videos. (then again that could just be my odd way of thinking. )

I couldn't add anything, Gamespot is spazzing out. It cut me off at one and a half videos (that I had to add using Gamespot's own video player)

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

I'm glad we changed the 56k warning to a mobile data warning.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Gamespot has ran out of 10s so 9/10 here. Lock it down the best damn jrpg of this generation.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mojito1988

@charizard1605 said:
@mojito1988 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@mojito1988 said:

I couldn't add anything, Gamespot is spazzing out. It cut me off at one and a half videos (that I had to add using Gamespot's own video player)

Oh i see. I was not trying to be critical, as your work is top notch of course. I just found some gameplay. Looks pretty paint by numbers sequel so yeah 8 seems about right.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

9/10 on GS 10000000000000%. 2/10 for me.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N64DD

@charizard1605 said:
@n64dd said:
@charizard1605 said:
@n64dd said:

Why so?

Blame Nintendo

Hahahah.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Below AE

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Yep, this is gonna be better than BotW. I'm hyped AAAA.

P.S. Great hype thread, you could add some brief description of the combat system.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maroxad

@mojito1988 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Oh i see. I was not trying to be critical, as your work is top notch of course. I just found some gameplay. Looks pretty paint by numbers sequel so yeah 8 seems about right.

I dont know exactly what they did to improve the dating sim cancer the previous 2 games had. But the dungeon crawlers looks completely overhauled.

In the dating sim aspect there are now arcades and whatnot. But I am not sure how they are functionally different from what we could already do before. It may just be a cosmetic change from previous games.

Ok... the rewards this time are a lot more compelling for improving your social links. With every social link getting you something nice. Rather than just the main cast and the fox. But that of course doesnt change the fact that social linking is mindnumbingly boring. Adding a carrot on a stick will not change that you are still walking on horse poop.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

8/10 I say!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Nice Persona 5 hype thread oh lord Charz. I'm going all in saying it's gonna get a 9/10.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@davillain-: Thanks!

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I'm hyping it AAA.

jennyfer1x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 jennyfer1x
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

excited. i say this might be another 10/10.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

AAAA, go big or go home

also when is the review embargo lifted

EDIT: it lifts march 29th.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@princeofshapeir: March 29

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

9/10

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Great thread!

I love how stylish this game is (and them hot girls :P), watched some gameplay videos and it seems to have turn-based combat, which is, unfortunately, not my type. But, the features you mentioned like profound characterization and complex themes, would compensate for that.

I hype it 9/10!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Seriously, is it my hype threads? Is that why all these games get hyped AAAAE?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mjorh said:

Great thread!

I love how stylish this game is, watched some gameplay videos and it seems to have turn-based combat, which is, unfortunately, not my type. But, the features you mentioned like profound characterization and complex themes, would compensate for that.

I hype it 9/10!

Thanks, it took an inordinately long time, and a lot of help from people far more talented than I >.>

Hopefully you get around to playing it, and if you do, i hope you enjoy it!

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

I only played 3 and P4G on vita. Its a good game with a catchy soundtrack but i didnt find it that special. Will hype AAA due to how well this hype thread was created.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Zensword said:

Yep, this is gonna be better than BotW. I'm hyped AAAA.

P.S. Great hype thread, you could add some brief description of the combat system.

Thanks! I wanted to add gameplay videos, Gamespot decided against it, so we're stuck for now >.>

@___gamemaster__ said:

I only played 3 and P4G on vita. Its a good game with a catchy soundtrack but i didnt find it that special. Will hype AAA due to how well this hype thread was created.

Thanks!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

8/10

the ownage and meltdowns will be glorious.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator

@KBFloYd: ownage? I think you underestimate the power of Anime fans, there hungry for Persona 5 as it is.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KBFloYd

@davillain- said:

@KBFloYd: ownage? I think you underestimate the power of Anime fans, there hungry for Persona 5 as it is.

i am underestimating? so you and chaz wont have a heart attack if it gets an 8? lol

i know chaz will be in full damage control mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@KBFloYd said:
@davillain- said:

i am underestimating? so you and chaz wont have a heart attack if it gets an 8? lol

Won't care, I'll probably spend the next 30 days playing it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KBFloYd

@charizard1605 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@davillain- said:

you won't care when you are playing it at home.

but here on the forum when you come back to the war you will bleed and suffer...AND damage control your heart out.

hehehe

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator

@KBFloYd said:

I won't give a damn what it scores, don't expect to see anyone getting ownage out of your silly head lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@KBFloYd said:
@charizard1605 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@davillain- said:

you won't care when you are playing it at home.

but here on the forum when you come back to the war you will bleed and suffer...AND damage control your heart out.

hehehe

No, see, Persona is like Pokemon for me now. I honestly don't care. The reviews could trash it or praise it, I just shrug and play the game anyway. I know what to expect, and if I get that, I'm good to go.