The PC version of any game is always the superior one

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Can we all agree on this? I think this is getting to be more true this gen than any other gen. I have made a commitment that I won't buy a single game on my PS3 (or Wii) that isn't available on PC. If you have the rig to handle even the most mediocre ports, there's really no reason to get the dumbed-down console version, especially considering that 99% of the time the game is cheaper on Steam and has increased graphical fidelity.

Is anyone really going to tell me that, of this year, Skyrim, Arkham City, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Portal 2, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, and Human Revolutions are all worseon the PC? All of them benefit from either superior developer support, new graphical features, strong modding communities, or a more active online community. Why should I play Revelations at sub-30 FPS on my PS3 when I can keep it pumping at 60 FPS on my PC, and buy the game for $10 less?

We can argue about exclusives, but the situation stands: if someone owns a gaming PC and a PS3/360, they should alwaysget the PC version of a game.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

cool story bro

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
apparently the optimization for saints rows 2 sucks... just saying. Also regarding to your last sentence...lol no... when i used to be a pc/ps2 gamer.... i bought all games pretty much on ps2 (multiplats) and just the exclusives on pc.
Kankaseni1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kankaseni1
Member since 2011 • 89 Posts

apparently the optimization for saints rows 2 sucks... just saying. Also regarding to your last sentence...lol no... when i used to be a pc/ps2 gamer.... i bought all games pretty much on ps2 (multiplats) and just the exclusives on pc.campzor

Ye but that about the only game lol. Devs begin to love pc more and more. Saints Row 3 is one of the best optimized console ports from this year.

Sucks to be you, ps2 brought me nothing more than eyecancer.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Not really. More like something high around 90+% of multiplats are superior on PC. There are some that are clearly inferior.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i have to agree that the pc version is almost always the best with a few exceptions like saints row 2 but there are still other reasons to get the console version.

i would rather have the version that more of my friends have for any multipplayer game.

playing with ppl you know trumps the pc advantage for me 99% of the time.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]apparently the optimization for saints rows 2 sucks... just saying. Also regarding to your last sentence...lol no... when i used to be a pc/ps2 gamer.... i bought all games pretty much on ps2 (multiplats) and just the exclusives on pc.

Saints row 2 runs perfectly fine for me. *shrug*
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]apparently the optimization for saints rows 2 sucks... just saying. Also regarding to your last sentence...lol no... when i used to be a pc/ps2 gamer.... i bought all games pretty much on ps2 (multiplats) and just the exclusives on pc.bleehum

they probably fixed it through all the patches throughout the time since launch.

i remember it not working correctly being a huge deal back in the day.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 princeofshapeir
I haven't played SR2 so I can't speak for it, but I feel the situation is similar to GTA IV. At launch it was a very sloppy port, and only people with very high-end rigs could run it acceptably, but progressively it got better and better and some of the mods coming out for it are just amazing. Now we're at the point that the game on PC is miles different from the game on consoles.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#10 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Tell that to Resident Evil 4

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bleehum

[QUOTE="bleehum"][QUOTE="campzor"]apparently the optimization for saints rows 2 sucks... just saying. Also regarding to your last sentence...lol no... when i used to be a pc/ps2 gamer.... i bought all games pretty much on ps2 (multiplats) and just the exclusives on pc.Riverwolf007

they probably fixed it through all the patches throughout the time since launch.

i remember it not working correctly being a huge deal back in the day.

Probably so, I didn't get it until a month or so after release.
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Rage?

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 princeofshapeir

The_Gaming_Baby

Probably a good exception, but with my 360 wired controller it's a moot point.

Rage?

Tikeio

Haven't played it yet, so I don't know for sure, but apparently patches have fixed the texture pop-in issues.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I agree with most of what you say, but I wouldn't say ALL multi-plats are better on the PC.

Just the vast majority. There is always one or two every year that are atrocious console garbage ports with no thought or consideraiton for the PC as a gaming platform.

So yes, most are, but not all.

'course consolite fanboys will rage over your thread TC. Get your flame shield ready.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

no. care. ever.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Sometimes they are poorly optimised and not the best version until patched.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

Some of Ubisoft's PC ports (ACII, for example) suffer due to their badly thought out DRM. While many PC versions are better, it's far from universal.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

What if most of my friends are getting FIFA 12 in consoles??? or Battlefield 3???

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts

Can we all agree on this? I think this is getting to be more true this gen than any other gen. I have made a commitment that I won't buy a single game on my PS3 (or Wii) that isn't available on PC. If you have the rig to handle even the most mediocre ports, there's really no reason to get the dumbed-down console version, especially considering that 99% of the time the game is cheaper on Steam and has increased graphical fidelity.

Is anyone really going to tell me that, of this year, Skyrim, Arkham City, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Portal 2, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, and Human Revolutions are all worseon the PC? All of them benefit from either superior developer support, new graphical features, strong modding communities, or a more active online community. Why should I play Revelations at sub-30 FPS on my PS3 when I can keep it pumping at 60 FPS on my PC, and buy the game for $10 less?

We can argue about exclusives, but the situation stands: if someone owns a gaming PC and a PS3/360, they should alwaysget the PC version of a game.

princeofshapeir

Generally speaking, yes.

There are other problems though. PC versions of multiplat games are often either delayed, or announced to be released at a later time than the console versions. That has been the case with at least two of the games on your list that I am aware of. That is one reason someone may buy the console version over its Pc counterpart.

Another is social interaction. I find its alot easier to have a game with friends and chat away than it is on a PC. PC requires third party software, and an abundance of tech minded PC gaming friends, Console gamers are more abundant in social circles, thus, easier to have a friend to game with, nevermind the ease at which it can be done over PC gaming.

Another reason you may want to buy a console version is down to resale. Many gamers, including myself do not hoard games they have finished with. If I am never to play through a game again, I trade it in for something I will play. PC games cannot be traded in many stores, simply because they have one time activation codes. Sure consoles are catching up by including online passes, but at least these can be repurchased. None of the high street stores in the UK will trade PC games, because of the serial codes.

There are other reasons too, but thats just a few why people would buy console versions of games over PC ones. Not everything is about the graphics....

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#20 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
The majority are better on PC.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
Yup and it's why consoles are good for exclusives and that's about it.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#22 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Lots of good muliplayer sports games currently on the PC?

When was the last time Madden, NHL or Tiger Woods appeared on the PC? Just saying.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Yup and it's why consoles are good for exclusives and that's about it. Heil68

There are also a lot of multiplats that are console only.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

What if most of my friends are getting FIFA 12 in consoles??? or Battlefield 3???

madsnakehhh
Get better friends.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

If you've got the great pc, then maybe yes. However, back when I was big into pc gaming I always couldn't stand starting a game and then optimizing it for my system. For me that takes me out of the experience.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

99% of multiplats are better on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Majority.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I can understand terrible framerate issues on the PS3, but how does the 360 version hold up? I dunno, if I like the game enough I might get both versions when they're on sale.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

The_Gaming_Baby

modded Resi 4 is the best version

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#32 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Hermits like to downplay many of the downsides that PC gaming has, like take for instance I wanted to play Witcher 2 so I had to upgrade my PC. It was a freakin nightmare and I kept getting errors every time I tried to play it because I had to get the settings just right, eventually I got it but it took me HOURS to get a smooth performance, and what makes t even worse is now I can't play some of my older PC games like Republic Commando.

For some reason when I go to play it my game just crashes back to the desktop. I never had this problem before the upgrade and I don't know why it's happening, luckily I can still play Morrowind.But PC graphics are overrated, it does look better then the console version usually but not THAT much better. Certainly not worth the hassle I had of trying to get it to run well. Stupid hermits will deny this and say "oh it's easy to fix" but you know what? I don't have these problems on PS3.

And it's consoles that push the graphics forward, like when Gears came out and other devs started to make better looking games. Or when Uncharted and Killzone came out and the same thing happened, you got more advanced games being made. And mods are overrated, there are some that are kinda cool but alot of them just cause your PC to have more issues and alot of them are just stupid things like nude mods which are made for losers.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Except the ones that don't work.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

With a few exceptions, I agree.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
I agree to an extent. I will always buy the PC version of a multi-platform game. There has not come a single instance of games that I have bought that the PS/360 version has topped the PC version.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
A lot of games are ported to PC and are pretty glitched. Talking Fable and others.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bleehum
It was a freakin nightmare and I kept getting errors every time I tried to play it because I had to get the settings just right, eventually I got it but it took me HOURS to get a smooth performance, and what makes t even worse is now I can't play some of my older PC games ShadowMoses900
Upgraded my computer numerous times, nothing of this sort EVER happens to me.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Rage?

Tikeio
After the first patch, Rage was now better on PC than consoles.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DragonfireXZ95

Hermits like to downplay many of the downsides that PC gaming has, like take for instance I wanted to play Witcher 2 so I had to upgrade my PC. It was a freakin nightmare and I kept getting errors every time I tried to play it because I had to get the settings just right, eventually I got it but it took me HOURS to get a smooth performance, and what makes t even worse is now I can't play some of my older PC games like Republic Commando.

For some reason when I go to play it my game just crashes back to the desktop. I never had this problem before the upgrade and I don't know why it's happening, luckily I can still play Morrowind.But PC graphics are overrated, it does look better then the console version usually but not THAT much better. Certainly not worth the hassle I had of trying to get it to run well. Stupid hermits will deny this and say "oh it's easy to fix" but you know what? I don't have these problems on PS3.

And it's consoles that push the graphics forward, like when Gears came out and other devs started to make better looking games. Or when Uncharted and Killzone came out and the same thing happened, you got more advanced games being made. And mods are overrated, there are some that are kinda cool but alot of them just cause your PC to have more issues and alot of them are just stupid things like nude mods which are made for losers.

ShadowMoses900
And that's why some people shouldn't play PC games. "Took hours to even play the game." I put everything on Ultra except for Ubersampling and I was playing in 2 minutes.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DragonfireXZ95
A lot of games are ported to PC and are pretty glitched. Talking Fable and others.LustForSoul
How is Fable glitched? I played Fable 3 on PC and it was perfectly fine.
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shadowchronicle

ShadowMoses900
It frustrates me to no end when I have to change all these settings to get something on the pc to work. I agree with the graphics part too, there is an improvement but it isn't major nor do I care for it. Doesn't mean pc is bad its just I'm geared that way.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

shadowchronicle
It frustrates me to no end when I have to change all these settings to get something on the pc to work. I agree with the graphics part too, there is an improvement but it isn't major nor do I care for it. Doesn't mean pc is bad its just I'm geared that way.

That's because your PC sucks. Get a better PC and you wouldn't have that problem.
DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

I agree with you TC. Although, a small portion are better on consoles, they are usually quickly patched.

Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shadowchronicle
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] That's because your PC sucks. Get a better PC and you wouldn't have that problem.

I'm pretty sure my PC is fine. It can play crysis.:? The issue I have is playing old games. I can play pretty much any game I want and I'm satisfied.
PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

The PC version is not always the best, but very often it's the addition of better/customizable controls and better resolution support that makes me prefer to have the PC version, even if it's not as optimized (which is usually battled around with much more powerful hardware). I will say that no one should go near the PC version of Quantum of Solace. It's locked at 30 FPS (and no way around it with a locatable CFG file) even though it's built on the CoD4 engine.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

BibiMaghoo

Generally speaking, yes.

There are other problems though. PC versions of multiplat games are often either delayed, or announced to be released at a later time than the console versions. That has been the case with at least two of the games on your list that I am aware of. That is one reason someone may buy the console version over its Pc counterpart.

Another is social interaction. I find its alot easier to have a game with friends and chat away than it is on a PC. PC requires third party software, and an abundance of tech minded PC gaming friends, Console gamers are more abundant in social circles, thus, easier to have a friend to game with, nevermind the ease at which it can be done over PC gaming.

Another reason you may want to buy a console version is down to resale. Many gamers, including myself do not hoard games they have finished with. If I am never to play through a game again, I trade it in for something I will play. PC games cannot be traded in many stores, simply because they have one time activation codes. Sure consoles are catching up by including online passes, but at least these can be repurchased. None of the high street stores in the UK will trade PC games, because of the serial codes.

There are other reasons too, but thats just a few why people would buy console versions of games over PC ones. Not everything is about the graphics....

While this may be true, if you have a ton of HDD space it doesn't matter.:D
DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts
It usually is, but there are definitely exceptions. Wasn't Black Ops multiplayer a buggy mess on the PC? It was one of the smoothest multiplayer games on consoles. And for many multiplayer games, the 360 is the no-brainer choice because of my friends. And games are not cheaper on Steam 99% of the time. In fact, for most of the year they are at least as expensive as console games are. Google Shopping does wonders.
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
Devil May Cry 3 would like a word with you.
Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

[QUOTE="Tikeio"]

Rage?

DragonfireXZ95

After the first patch, Rage was now better on PC than consoles.

Did they ever release the "mega hi-res" textures?

I was planning on getting the PC version sometime next year. My PC couldn't run it right now even if I wanted to.