The PC is the superior gaming platform - Definitive Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#401  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

I said you need a $2000 pc in 2005 to match what the 360 can do. Where did I say spec for spec?

Only that's not what you said and you used the word "match."

The Xbox360 could render games at at a < resolution with fewer effects due to GPU/RAM restrictions, but again I know that you know this.

Done.

I'll let the rest gnaw on your troll bones.

No that's exactly what I said in the other thread.

Match and spec for spec are 2 different things. Any rational person would realize I meant capabilities and not specs since a last gen consoles could get away with things that a pc can't.

What if a had said you needed a $1900 pc to match the 360 arcade model? Thats the one with no hdd btw. Would you have posted a pc build with no hdd?

marinko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#402  Edited By marinko123
Member since 2008 • 417 Posts

Allright, I'll bite.

@mikhail said:
  • I can use any controller or multiple controllers at once, including mouse & keyboard, Xbox One controllers, DualShock 4's, or all of them at once. There is a lot more choice with PC, I'm not locked in to the few overpriced peripherals that the platform holders choose for me.
  • Many games, even PC exclusives, are designed with native Xbox controller support. You can still play games from your couch displayed on your big TV in the living room if you want to - the PC is no longer relegated to the office like it was 10 years ago.

Ok. Second point pretty much means that PC's are on par with consoles, it's not an advantage for PC.

• The PC is capable of displaying higher fidelity visuals and effects at much higher resolutions and framerates than any console. PC games always look better and run better than their console counterparts. PC games can be played at 1440p and up to 144hz while even current generation console games still struggle with 1080p and 30hz, sometimes 60hz (but not usually). Even "remastered" games like The Last of Us still struggle to maintain 1080p/60 on the PS4, sometimes dipping down in the mid-40 fps range.

True

• Online multiplayer on PC is always free and not locked behind a paywall like it is with PSN and Xbox Live.

True, but you fail to mention the paywall does bring some benefits, it's not exclusively a bad thing.

• The PC has far more exclusive titles released than any other console, in any generation, in addition to many of the same multiplatform titles that are released for the consoles as well. Only when they are on PC, they look & run better.

Allright, it does have more games, but the quality of games is subjective opinion, more games does not have to mean better games. You already mentioned games run better on PC, no need to repeat yourself 3 times.

• The PC can be used for far more than just entertainment - it's a device that I can use for content production, school work, editing photos, curating my music collection, and more.

Irrelevant, everyone has a PC/laptop these days.

• The PC is a constantly evolving platform that is always growing in power, whereas the consoles are locked in without innovation or advancement for sometimes up to 9 years in the case of the 360 & PS3. My current PC is already much more powerful and capable than even the PS4 or Xbox One, and over time that gap is only going to widen further and further.

You already mentioned this in 2 previous points.

• PC games are less expensive. Not only are even multiplatform games almost always less expensive when released on PC, but PC games go on sale through outlets such as Steam, GOG, GreenManGaming and others far more often and for much steeper discounts than console games ever do. Developers love Steam sale events like the Summer & Winter sales, sometimes making more profits in a single week than they did during the entire year leading up to that.

BS, consoles have used games, trade-ins, store sales, I've seen a lot of good PSN sales etc. PC might have a slight edge, but not a huge one as you say. New games are 10$ cheaper, ok.

• PC's are designed to use and take advantage of multiple monitors, allowing experiences that are simply not available on console. If you haven't gamed on 3+ monitors at once, you're seriously missing out and I recommend giving it a try, you'll never go back.

Ok, I guess... don't see how this is relevant to most people.

• The PC is the king of backwards compatibility. I can play any game I wish released at virtually any point in the PC's history with little to no problem, most of them installing directly from Steam in minutes. The current consoles offer no backwards compatibility whatsoever - Sony, MS, and Nintendo are more than happy to sell you the same games over and over again, though. This does not happen on PC.

Agreed, a huge plus for PC, I don't think anyone has the time and money to play each game in every generation that they would want and with PC you can revisit them years later with not much hassle. With consoles you'd have to keep your old one and you might have trouble finding old games for sale.

• The PC has by far the largest and most diverse game library out of any platform, current or past.

You already mentioned that it has most exclusives etc. stop repeating yourself.

• Developers build mod support into their games so the thriving PC mod community can get much more life out of games. This does not exist on consoles. See current games like Divinity: Original Sin and ArmA 3 for examples on how devs encourage modding and make it easy through the Steam Workshop.

Allright.

• PC is the most friendly platform for developers. Anyone can create and release a game on PC that millions of gamers have access to without paying licensing fees to the likes of Sony or Microsoft, and at little to no overhead cost. It is the most friendly platform for the thriving independent game developer scene.
  • You can actually make money playing games and creating assets & mods for games on PC, and companies like Valve encourage this through the Steam Workshop and Market. Nothing like this exists on consoles.

These 2 points are only relevant to developers, not to gamers. I guess you could say that means more content on PC but that was already mentioned.

• There are far more Free To Play games on PC that are actually good games with business models that aren't horrible. Games like DotA 2 and Marvel Heroes are truly free to play. You can spend money for cosmetics or quality of life improvements but you don't need to at all. Again, nothing like this exists on consoles.

There are more good f2p games on pc but to say there are none on consoles is BS, don't know where you pulled this one from.

• The PC is overall less expensive to own than a console, and this becomes more drastic the more games one buys. A gaming PC that equals the PS4 or Xbox One in performance can be built for $400-$500 and then upgraded in a couple of years to easily surpass the capabilities of those locked and closed platforms, and the price disparity only grows as console gamers buy more and more expensive games over the lifespan of their console while PC gamers enjoy more & less expensive games.

Personally, I don't think we can effectively discuss this, I mean it all depends on what you buy, how many games you buy... someone could spend the whole gen with a console and buy games only when they are 5-10$, someone could be buying 2 new games a month but always selling them on craiglist, someone might not always have PS+, gold, there's tons of console game sales, trade-ins, used games etc. you just choose to ignore it. This is a really hard topic to agree on, we can't really set a standard here and say each gamer only buys new games each month for 60$, especially since some PC games are also 60$ now. I wouldn't sway this argument in any direction, it all depends on individual spending habits.

• The competitive / professional eSports scene lives on PC. Games like Dota 2 have tournaments like the International that had over $11 million dollars in prize money to be won this year - nothing like this exists on consoles.
  • Ignorant again, call of duty world champs had 1m $ prize pool. It's not 11m but it's not non-existent. I really like competitive gaming but I wouldn't say this is a huge plus, unless you're the one competing and winning money.

There are more reasons but I'll leave it at that. Try to keep the discussion on topic - if you don't think the PC is the objectively superior gaming platform, then which one is and why? "LOL hermits" is not a valid argument. Please try to keep the discussion civil and on-topic, I don't want to have to create this again in a few weeks...but I totally will.

Thanks for reading and have fun!

To shortly sum it up, IMO, the only huge advantages are more power, BC, and some other minor things. Objectively superior? Yes, slightly. But it's the games and the experience that counts, and you can't put an objective mark on that.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#403  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts
@Cranler said:

No, it's not.

You've conveniently added the "can do" suffix in this latest spin.

Are you a millenial by any chance?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404 Cranler

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

No, it's not.

@Cranler said: You needed a $2000 pc to match the 360 in 2005

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/pc-gaming-is-crushing-consoles-31429983/?page=7

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405  Edited By Dasein808

@Cranler said:

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

No, it's not.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/pc-gaming-is-crushing-consoles-31429983/?page=7

Yep, not to match what a 360 "can do," just to "match it."

Wrecked by your own words.

Ready to stfu now, or is it time to shift your argument?

You're a millenial, right?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 Cranler

@Dasein808 said:

@Cranler said:

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

No, it's not.

Yep, not to match what a 360 "can do," just to "match it."

Wrecked by your own words.

Ready to stfu now, or is it time to shift your argument?

You're a millenial, right?

I didn't think you were hanging onto the "can do" part because any rational person would take that as a given.

Only an idiot would think I meant spec for spec because like I said before, consoles can get by with things that pc's can't.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407  Edited By Dasein808

@Cranler said:

Only an idiot would think I meant spec for spec because like I said before, consoles can get by with things that pc's can't.

Nah, I was "hanging on" the words you originally wrote and what they really mean.

In the context of a debate, only an "idiot" is casual in their verbiage.

If you're actually trying to prove a point then then your choice of words and exclusion of collequialisms means everything.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 Cranler
@Dasein808 said:

@Cranler said:

Nah, I was "hanging on" the words you originally wrote and what they really mean.

If you're actually trying to prove a point then then your choice of words and exclusion of collequialisms means everything.

Even evildead understands what matching a console to a pc means.

How does a pc that can't run Max Payne 3, The Force Unleashed and Rage, match the 360?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#411 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

PC generally speaking cannot do 1080p in all games.

It has problems just like any of the "next gen" consoles.

I wanted to say this in this thread, b/c funny enough it was brought up in another thread and suddenly the PC gamers were no where to be found. So this will probably get ignored b/c they know what I'm getting at and they have no argument against it.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#412 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@amazonangry said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

I'll post mine first, but then you're forever owned if you don't follow up...deal?

I'd like to see your steam id and his PSN id because I think you're both alty trolls.

i've already shown my library numerous times, but for your viewing pleasure, again.

that's actually a very small collection.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By Dasein808
@mr_huggles_dog said:

No.

Been there done that for more years than peasants can count. Care to provide a source for your consolite claim?

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Dasein808 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

No.

Been there done that for more years than peasants can count. Care to provide a source for your consolite claim?

lmao

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417  Edited By Cranler

@farrell2k said:

@Cranler said:
@Dasein808 said:

@Cranler said:

Even evildead understands what matching a console to a pc means.

How does a pc that can't run Max Payne 3, The Force Unleashed and Rage, match the 360?

Man, you guys should just get a room already...

First pic is what Rage looks like on the 360 and the 2nd pic is what Rage looks like on Dasein88's "matching" system

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@Dasein808 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

No.

I don't need a fucking source. I have Farcry 3 on my PC and I can't run it at 1080p.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with a gaming PC out there that can't run all the games he/she owns at 1080p.

Don't ask for a source for something that is fucking common knowledge. Do you need a source for someone when they tell you hello? "Hello!!"...then you go "OMG (nerd voice) I NEED A SOURCE TO BACK UP THAT HELLO!!!"

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#420  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Were still skirting around the fact that PC does not offer turnkey operability, especially to those centering their experience in the livingroom on the big screen.

Lack of a standardized high quality controller is at the heart of PC's inability to win the war for the epicenter of home entertainment.

Steam is the closest to achieving a unified entertainment ecosystem, but its still lacking in quality of experience.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@Cranler said:

First pic is what Rage looks like on the 360 and the 2nd pic is what Rage looks like on Dasein88's "matching" system

Holy crap you are actually being smug and condescending about this of all points? Developers are good at accommodating the shortcomings of every major console.That doesn't make the console better able to run a specific piece of software. If a person wants software companies to continue to cater to their underpowered and obsolete hardware console owners have a much bigger advantage then any subset of PC gaming. Developers will dumb down the performance of software so far that even an older console will run it. That doesn't make a 360 is anything like a two thousand dollar computer.

Heck, ever walk through a door in a Bethesda game on a 360? Even with how much they are willing to strip down and optimize the software to meet the special needs of consoles, it takes a figurative week and a half to do anything in a Bethesda game on a console. Gosh help you if there is a door on the other side of that door. If so you might as well go grab a snack and relax. A PC with min game specs will almost always outperform the heck out of an aging console release simply because crappy computers are far less limited then aging consoles.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By Cranler

@kittennose said:

@Cranler said:

Holy crap you are actually being smug and condescending about this of all points? Developers are good at accommodating the shortcomings of every major console.That doesn't make the console better able to run a specific piece of software. If a person wants software companies to continue to cater to their underpowered and obsolete hardware console owners have a much bigger advantage then any subset of PC gaming. Developers will dumb down the performance of software so far that even an older console will run it. That doesn't make a 360 is anything like a two thousand dollar computer.

Heck, ever walk through a door in a Bethesda game on a 360? Even with how much they are willing to strip down and optimize the software to meet the special needs of consoles, it takes a figurative week and a half to do anything in a Bethesda game on a console. Gosh help you if there is a door on the other side of that door. If so you might as well go grab a snack and relax. A PC with min game specs will almost always outperform the heck out of an aging console release simply because crappy computers are far less limited then aging consoles.

I've been as nice as possible to Dasein 808 for as long as I could even though he constantly insulted me at every turn and stalked me on different threads but everyone has their limits.

Sounds to me like you aren't familiar with the discussion. I made the claim that you needed a $2000 pc to match the 360 in 2005. Since you brought up Bethesda, lets see how well the top gpu from 2005 handles Skyrim. We'll even give the pc a special advantage by pairing it with a core 2 duo which is more powerful than the $1,000 amd cpu's from 2005. He averages from 8-18 fps. Oh and it takes about 5 seconds to enter a house or dungeon in Skyrim on 360. Yeah it's a little longer that a pc with a hdd but nothing like what you describe.

Loading Video...

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@Cranler: Why are you back to talking about the Xbox 360 and PC's from ten years ago? It's 2014, dude. The topic is about PC's of today, not your fantasy comparison from a decade ago.

Please get back on topic.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 Cranler

@mikhail said:

@Cranler: Why are you back to talking about the Xbox 360 and PC's from ten years ago? It's 2014, dude. The topic is about PC's of today, not your fantasy comparison from a decade ago.

Please get back on topic.

I was on the topic of game prices until dasein and bldgrush began insulting me.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#425 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: what games cant the pc run 60 fps 1080p

I don't no of a game this is not achievable on, providing you upgrade your system enough.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By mikhail

@mr_huggles_dog said:

It has problems just like any of the "next gen" consoles.

I wanted to say this in this thread, b/c funny enough it was brought up in another thread and suddenly the PC gamers were no where to be found. So this will probably get ignored b/c they know what I'm getting at and they have no argument against it.

Sounds like it's time for an upgrade. I can run Far Cry 3 at 1080p/120hz stable...it's an old game. Are you running a five or six year old GPU? Or perhaps an integrated graphics solution?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 mikhail

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Dasein808 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

No.

lmao

I see this argument all the time from the peasantry. "I have a $10,000 gaming PC that still can't max out games from 5 years ago! Also I prefer my consoles, PC sux! I have quad GTX Titan Blacks and my PS4 is better!"

Fucking LOL.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 Dasein808

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I'm sure I'm not the only person with a gaming PC out there that can't run all the games he/she owns at 1080p.

Lacking the hardware required <> a game being incapable of running at 1080p.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#429  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@mikhail said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Dasein808 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

No.

lmao

I see this argument all the time from the peasantry. "I have a $10,000 gaming PC that still can't max out games from 5 years ago! Also I prefer my consoles, PC sux! I have quad GTX Titan Blacks and my PS4 is better!"

Fucking LOL.

There is a guy on youtube (found about him on blackbond's channel) , during live chat when everyone was talking about benefits of each system , he said he owns 12,000$ gaming PC but his consoles are better .

It's been like 2 or 3 months now , everyone is requesting him to show his 12,000$ gaming PC but the guy is nowhere to be found and always comes up with sh*tty argument that "He is not in the mood of doing so etc" .

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@mikhail: But playing games on a PC sucks.

/thread.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 mikhail

@StormyJoe said:

@mikhail: But playing games on a PC sucks.

/thread.

Is it because your filthy console peasant eyes can't see more than 30 fps?

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

Will I have to wait another 2 generations for a GOTY on PC though? Maybe I can get into videogame design while I wait. In 10 years I can create my own GOTY and everybody on PC waits until steam sale to buy it and I barely make any money back.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433  Edited By mikhail

@mr-powers said:

Will I have to wait another 2 generations for a GOTY on PC though? Maybe I can get into videogame design while I wait. In 10 years I can create my own GOTY and everybody on PC waits until steam sale to buy it and I barely make any money back.

Are you talking about your Game of the Year? Various publications vote multiplatform games their GOTY all the time, and as we all know multiplatforms are always best on PC.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Its just a fact if you want the best games the industry has to offer you need consoles and PC somehow misses the mark with them.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435 mikhail

@Heil68 said:

Its just a fact if you want the best games the industry has to offer you need consoles and PC somehow misses the mark with them.

Except that if you look at the overall rankings, PC has far more higher rated games and a higher rating on average than any console. Just spend a few minutes browsing the metacritic rankings and you'll see this is true.

It's still astonishing that people truly believe some of the misinformation they spit out on a daily basis around here.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436  Edited By Heil68

@mikhail said:

@Heil68 said:

Except that if you look at the overall rankings, PC has far more higher rated games and a higher rating on average than any console. Just spend a few minutes browsing the metacritic rankings and you'll see this is true.

It's still astonishing that people truly believe some of the misinformation they spit out on a daily basis around here.

Minus GOTYs and perfect 10/10 games? Sure. Consoles are worth owning no matter what the OP or you say if not just for the exclusives that PC doesn't have.

Unless of course your position is exclusives only matter on PC?

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#437  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts
@Heil68 said:

Its just a fact if you want the best games the industry has to offer you need consoles.

No you don't.

The majority of console games are reviewed to lower standards, and, unless you like fighting and driving games, you can completely skip consoles because most games not in those genres are just simple games that don't require more than the few buttons offered by a controller.

EDIT: Sports games too and Mario of course because he's Mario.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 mikhail

@Heil68 said:

@mikhail said:

@Heil68 said:

Minus GOTYs and perfect 10/10 games? Sure. Consoles are worth owning no matter what the OP or you say if not just for the exclusives that PC doesn't have.

I agree with you in a sense, in that I think the only reason to own any console ever is if it has some exclusives that you want to play.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 Heil68

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Heil68 said:

Its just a fact if you want the best games the industry has to offer you need consoles.

No you don't.

The majority of console games are reviewed to lower standards, and, unless you like fighting and driving games, you can completely skip consoles because most games not in those genres are just simple games that don't require more than the few buttons offered by a controller.

Well I'll take what the industry has to say over SW's. Sorry. Consoles are worth owning.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 Heil68

@mikhail said:

@Heil68 said:

@mikhail said:

@Heil68 said:

I agree with you in a sense, in that I think the only reason to own any console ever is if it has some exclusives that you want to play.

Well I have a gaming PC so I'm covered, being the true manticore I am.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
@Heil68 said:

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Heil68 said:

No you don't.

Well I'll take what the industry has to say over SW's. Sorry. Consoles are worth owning.

You could judge a game's quality based on any criteria you want, no one cares. However, the "industry" doesn't review games - they make them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 Heil68

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Heil68 said:

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Heil68 said:

No you don't.

You could judge a game's quality based on any criteria you want, no one cares. However, the "industry" doesn't review games - they make them.

And you play them and are judging. So I'll take the people making the games over a salty SW user.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 Heil68

@scottpsfan14 said:

@Heil68: Manticore?

I own everything, I know it's quite the modern day marvel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 deactivated-5920bf77daa85

@Heil68 said:

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Heil68 said:

And you play them and are judging. So I'll take the people making the games over a salty SW user.

Every time you post, you just further the stereotype that console gamers cannot read.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 Heil68

@Cobra_nVidia said:

@Heil68 said:

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Heil68 said:

Every time you post, you just further the stereotype that console gamers cannot read.

Well good thing I have a gaming PC brah., cuz I read that shit and responded...awwww yeahhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
@Heil68 said:

Well good thing I have a gaming PC brah., cuz I read that shit and responded...awwww yeahhhhh

Owning a "gaming pc" doesn't mean you aren't a console gamer. It does, however, kind of prove the point about PC gaming being the superior gaming platform.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450 Heil68

@Cobra_nVidia said:
@Heil68 said:

Owning a "gaming pc" doesn't mean you aren't a console gamer. It does, however, kind of prove the point about PC gaming being the superior gaming platform.

I'm a true gamer and game on everything, being the a true manticore.