The Outer world announced - Obsidian FPS/RPG hybrid

• 73 results
#1 Edited by Ghosts4ever (8026 posts) -

This looks cool. didnot expect obisidian to make anything other than top down cRPG.

looks better than fallout has ever been.

#2 Posted by UItravioIence (1100 posts) -

Rather play rage 2. Fallout in space looks lame.

#3 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24530 posts) -

Looks good to me.

Metro: Exodus, Rage 2, FC: New Dawn, and now this? Cool.

#4 Posted by with_teeth26 (9104 posts) -

looks like... borderlands kinda?

#5 Posted by Alucard_Prime (9873 posts) -

Looks cool, nice setting

#6 Posted by phbz (3823 posts) -

Yes please.

#7 Posted by ocinom (956 posts) -

Pretty cool for MS to allow a PS4 port of this game. They sure know where the money is.

#8 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17940 posts) -

Definitely keeping an eye on this!

#9 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8026 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

it actually looks better than cyberpunk 2077.

#10 Posted by glez13 (9860 posts) -

This looks really interesting. I suppose it's gonna be like Bethesda's Fallout, hard to tell by the little gameplay they showed. Plus it seems to be humorous like Borderlands.

#11 Posted by XVision84 (14452 posts) -

This looks like a better fallout than fallout, but in space

#12 Posted by watercrack445 (848 posts) -

Why all the games looking so similar to borderlands like Rage 2, Outer worlds, and FC new Dawn? They kind have the same quality and visuals to it.

#13 Posted by Dagubot (1016 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Looks better than Metro & Doom.

#14 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17940 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

You try too hard.

#15 Posted by pyro1245 (4259 posts) -

Hell yeah. I'm into it.

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (29186 posts) -

Pretty much an instant buy. Visuals abit eh, models looked... shitty?

No biggie though.

#18 Posted by sakaiXx (4196 posts) -

@ulttruz7 said:

I get the feeling this is going to be a big Microsoft franchise for next gen since they own the IP.

Published by Take 2 and yes, its coming to PS4. Ps4 part is probably? according to reports and news articles they state that.

#19 Posted by phbz (3823 posts) -

@sakaixx: Even the reveal trailer says that.

#20 Posted by sakaiXx (4196 posts) -

@phbz: i dunno, since MS own the studio they can restrict the releases. I mean they do need to pay penalty but eh, microsoft have money

#21 Posted by DoroG1995 (2326 posts) -

Admit it Ghost, You only like it due to the First Person view.(If it was 3rd person you would hate it)

#23 Posted by djoffer (891 posts) -

Looks interesting, obsidian is one of my favorite devs so will definitely keep an eye on this!

#24 Posted by phbz (3823 posts) -

@sakaixx: I don't see any advantage in that, MS has nothing invested in the game and that would only generate bad press and internet outrage and that is worth more than one game. If the game proves successful, then yes we might see exclusive sequels. But even than I think it would be best to have something made from scratch.

#25 Edited by sonny2dap (1476 posts) -

The interesting thing would be if since Obsidian is 1st party now does that mean MS will make this available on game pass day 1? or is that for 1st party published games only?

#26 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8026 posts) -
@dorog1995 said:

Admit it Ghost, You only like it due to the First Person view.(If it was 3rd person you would hate it)

yes. being third person it would be terrible. immersion is only point of this game as its RPG so shooting mechanics will not be good.

Avatar image for thirty8_special
#27 Posted by Thirty8_Special (28 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: wayyyyy too hard lol

#28 Edited by darkRecon6Opt (102 posts) -

I will react like tour typical forum gamer " waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh" insert crying baby pic and your typical negative dribble

#29 Posted by SecretPolice (34153 posts) -

Freakin loved what I saw. This has SP written all over it. Hyped. :D

#30 Posted by johnd13 (9497 posts) -

This definitely has New Vegas vibes. It might be interesting if they release it close to Bethesda's Starfield, another sci-fi RPG. I suspect Outer Worlds > Starfield will be the new Fallout New Vegas > Fallout 3.

#31 Posted by robert_sparkes (1749 posts) -

Look very interesting.

#32 Posted by JasonOfA36 (981 posts) -

Looks like borderlands, but shittier

#33 Posted by iambatman7986 (2709 posts) -

I love Obsidian, so this has me excited.

#34 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24530 posts) -
@watercrack445 said:

Why all the games looking so similar to borderlands like Rage 2, Outer worlds, and FC new Dawn? They kind have the same quality and visuals to it.

Makes you wonder if developers get together and plan what the theme will be for the following year's games.

That or they're spying on each other. ;)

#35 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42367 posts) -

Yeah, I am excited, if not for the content, then for Obsidian returning to the FPS-RPG arena...emphasis on RPG.

Was hoping for Alpha Protocol 2, though.

@watercrack445 said:

It's "bubblegum punk" aesthetic or accent: take your general dreary post-apocalyptic or corporate sci-fi future, then add in some pastel colors, youthful and nihilistic rebels, and...voila! Every game looks the same.

Far Cry New Dawn? Check

Rage 2? Check

Borderlands? Check

Outer Worlds? Check

Not that I am complaining--people have been tired of the grey/brown/radioactive green of the dreary future game for some time-- but it would be nice to see some different approaches instead of a trend among many.

@jasonofa36 said:

Looks like borderlands, but shittier

Hard to imagine this game, or most others, being shittier than Borderlands; that game is the definition of repetition.

#36 Posted by xantufrog (10072 posts) -

I'm intrigued. I'm not sure I'd say super excited, but it has me more intrigued than another Bethesda Fallout and will likely be (much?) better. My wallet is accessible... I'll keep my eye on it to be sure

#37 Posted by SecretPolice (34153 posts) -

PSA... lots-o-info...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-outer-worlds-looks-a-lot-like-fallout-but-that/1100-6463757/

#38 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8026 posts) -
Loading Video...

15 minutes gameplay.

Looks really cool.

#39 Edited by Zaryia (6684 posts) -

New Vegas in space?

Instant buy.

#40 Posted by Ezekiel43 (727 posts) -

What was the last big first person shooter that wasn't an RPG hybrid in some way? They're almost all obsessed with upgrades, skills, quests and all that junk. Pure action is dead.

#41 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24530 posts) -
@ezekiel43 said:

What was the last big first person shooter that wasn't an RPG hybrid in some way? They're almost all obsessed with upgrades, skills, quests and all that junk. Pure action is dead.

Probably because no one was buying the pure action FPS games. What was the last pure action FPS game? Even Hard Reset had upgrades.

#42 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8026 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:

they are RPG developers. not FPS.

otherwise there is Rage 2 coming out for pure action.

#43 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42367 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@ezekiel43 said:

Probably because no one was buying the pure action FPS games. What was the last pure action FPS game?

DOOM (2016)? But even that had an upgrade system...does that count?

Wolfenstein reboots had skill tree and upgrades.

Hard Reset? Serious Sam?

#44 Posted by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: Rage 2 won’t be on steam so people will hate it.

#45 Edited by Ghosts4ever (8026 posts) -

@boycie said:

@ghosts4ever: Rage 2 won’t be on steam so people will hate it.

none of bethesda game will be on steam as they are launching new launcher.

#46 Edited by Lucianu (10295 posts) -

Added on my wishlist for 2019, i hope that release date stays.

Bethesda have royally fucked up the IP with Fallout 4's abysmally shit writing, so this which is obviously a spiritual successor got me hyped.

#47 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24530 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@ezekiel43 said:

Probably because no one was buying the pure action FPS games. What was the last pure action FPS game?

DOOM (2016)? But even that had an upgrade system...does that count?

Wolfenstein reboots had skill tree and upgrades.

Hard Reset? Serious Sam?

Looking at my screenshot archive..... I'd say even Doom 2016 was not exempt.

Plenty of it. He He.

Obviously, I prefer to be a fast-moving target. Hence, my preference for Health and Ammo.

As for Hard Reset, I think it has mostly weapon upgrades.

#48 Posted by Ghosts4ever (8026 posts) -

Good news

https://www.polygon.com/features/2018/12/7/18129759/outer-worlds-obsidian-entertainment-new-rpg-preview

We had to pick what we were going to put our time into,” Boyarsky said. “Other people have explored the romance angle in different ways. We felt like sometimes it kind of waters down your roleplaying for your character because it turns into this mini game of how do I seduce this companion or that companion. So it was just one of the things we felt wasn’t really what we wanted to focus our time on. [...] We’re really trying to be focused on a specific experience so that we can polish that experience and give players the best version of that experience that we can.”

there is no romance in this game. no romance mini game, no sex scene. just pure FPS/RPG. take note CDPR. you can make a mature game without adding nudity and romance.

my hype increase more. keep up good work obsidian.

#49 Edited by Zaryia (6684 posts) -
@ezekiel43 said:

Why would you complain about this in an Obsidian thread though? They make RPGs, and one of the absolute best FPS/RPG hybrids in history.

#50 Posted by ahmedkhan1994 (573 posts) -
@ocinom said:

Pretty cool for MS to allow a PS4 port of this game. They sure know where the money is.

im pretty sure this was being made before MS bought them. This is probably Obsidians last game on a Sony console.