This topic is locked from further discussion.

Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Camzo
Member since 2006 • 2142 Posts

Which Operating System do you like best? Doesn't have to be the one you use, just your personal favourite. Mac OS 9? Windows 2000? Vote here, and post your choice. If you selected "Other", state which one! You can only choose one, but feel free to add which operating systems you also like, that are just not your favourite! The OS Wars start here!

(Please do not flame anybody, except the Mac fanboys (joking :P)) 

Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Camzo
Ubuntu Linux because it is so open and excellent. It's free, powerful, never jars up, and requires some actual brain power to use.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

Mac is better, but Windows has more software

im gonna have to go with Vista 

Shut_Me_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shut_Me_Up
Member since 2006 • 810 Posts
I'll say XP because I don't have Vista yet, but I'm sure that will be my favorite when I get it.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
Altimit OS, it is completely virus proof and if you use it you turn into a tattooed anime character
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
I wish it was not because I have little choice XP
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
PC-BSD Easily the easiest open-source OS that you can use.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
The OS war? How can Linix or the Mac even compete with windows? Less than 1% of the world are using them so I would say they are no competition.. By the way Vista is really nice.
hugo_ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 hugo_ben
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts

Ubunto Linux, no doubts of it. It's fast, secure and efficient. Awsome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCPjYMte9k

Edit: I forgot the most important, it's FREE! 

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17873 Posts
at the moment XP. as a gamer, its really the only option i have. alot of games will work on linux but it takes alot of time and effort to get them up and running, especially if ure not familiar with installing stuff on linux. in saying that, if games started working on linux with no fuss and driver support improved then id easily jump ship. its free, its fast and it gets the job done. since SP2, XP has become quite a stable and dependable platform though. i very rarely have trouble with it. i really wish dx10 was coming to XP. at the moment vista is a €200 joke from a gaming perspective imho. my brother bought it sine he needed a new OS anyway. when it comes to games, the OS is a disaster. it also eats up 1GB of ram which is nuts. the 15GB install is also silly. there is so much crap in there it aint funny. XP is bad enough but its a saint compared to vista. the aero interfave is nice but, to be honest, id turn it off and save resources. its by no means a revolution in UI design, its just pretty. still in fairness its just out. by this time next year the OS should be in much better shape. ill probably nab a copy after SP1.
shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
Win 2K.  It's stable & without all the XP/Vista fluff.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Deihmos
Too bad you cannot do many many things with linux. I guess if all you do is surf and chat Linux would work but anything else is just limited.
Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Camzo
Note to all: Linux is NOT limited, and pretty much EVERYTHING that works on Windows/Mac will work on Linux, if you can work out the commands and set things up the hard way. It's free, clean from viruses, has excellent applications, and is the best operating system (well, the distros are, the one I voted was Ubuntu) ever created. Linus Torvalds is a saint. Windows owns 90% of the market, Mac has 10% or maybe a little under for operating systems that aren't well known, but Linux owns NONE of it. Because there is no market, it's FREE :D Vista is a joke, Mac is as bad as Big Rigs, and Linux will reign supreme for people with the brain capacity to use it.
GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
wow, i've never even heard of some of those other.
Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Camzo

Ubunto Linux, no doubts of it. It's fast, secure and efficient. Awsome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCPjYMte9k

Edit: I forgot the most important, it's FREE!

hugo_ben

Good that you agree, Ubuntu is the absolute best by far and no comparison, but Beryl software is totally unneeded, and not really important to show off how great Ubuntu is. Not many people with the time and brains to use Ubuntu really need their programs to set alight when they close them :P :lol: :D Ubuntu FTW!

hugo_ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hugo_ben
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
I know Beryl is totally unneded but it's nice to compare with the Vista 'special effects' :D WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ It may be a bit confusing to use if you're a total novice, but after you give the first steps, it's awsome.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deihmos

Note to all: Linux is NOT limited, and pretty much EVERYTHING that works on Windows/Mac will work on Linux, if you can work out the commands and set things up the hard way. It's free, clean from viruses, has excellent applications, and is the best operating system (well, the distros are, the one I voted was Ubuntu) ever created. Linus Torvalds is a saint. Windows owns 90% of the market, Mac has 10% or maybe a little under for operating systems that aren't well known, but Linux owns NONE of it. Because there is no market, it's FREE :D Vista is a joke, Mac is as bad as Big Rigs, and Linux will reign supreme for people with the brain capacity to use it.Camzo

i am sure you are running windows on your PC and why would i want to jump through so many hoops to get something working. Most of the software I use will never work on Linux and though some games work they don't work well. Some don't work at all and they simply emulated.

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
[QUOTE="Camzo"]Note to all: Linux is NOT limited, and pretty much EVERYTHING that works on Windows/Mac will work on Linux, if you can work out the commands and set things up the hard way. It's free, clean from viruses, has excellent applications, and is the best operating system (well, the distros are, the one I voted was Ubuntu) ever created. Linus Torvalds is a saint. Windows owns 90% of the market, Mac has 10% or maybe a little under for operating systems that aren't well known, but Linux owns NONE of it. Because there is no market, it's FREE :D

Too bad there are over 400 viruses created for Linux (although that pales in comparison to the 150k for XP). The only OS without any known viruses are BSD OS's. If you're an absolute security nut, the ONLY choice is OpenBSD.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
While I don't have anything against Ubuntu or OS X (I've actually dual booted Ubuntu) I still prefer XP. I've never had any real problems with it despite what people say and it's definately the one I'm the most familiar with. It's also the only real alternative for a gaming PC.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Deihmos
I never worry about a virus and with less than 1% of Pc users with Linux why would anyone create a virus? Like the guy said if you play games Windows is the only choice.
t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
I've only really tried Windows stuff. I can't even compair anything. I like Vista so far though.
Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Camzo
Not really, as you can use Wine, the Windows Emulator, which works perfectly with any software designed for Windows. This means you can have the pure excellence of Linux also with your favourite games. And as for Mac, there are ways around that too.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I'd like to use Ubuntu as my primary system but i do like to game and it's just not convenient to dual boot for gaming. so i'll say xp.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ontain
Not really, as you can use Wine, the Windows Emulator, which works perfectly with any software designed for Windows. This means you can have the pure excellence of Linux also with your favourite games. And as for Mac, there are ways around that too.Camzo
wine works perfectly? you and i have radically different views of what is perfect. ;)
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deihmos

Not really, as you can use Wine, the Windows Emulator, which works perfectly with any software designed for Windows. This means you can have the pure excellence of Linux also with your favourite games. And as for Mac, there are ways around that too.Camzo

Why on earth would I want to emulate anything? Half the time it does not work and games do not work properly. So you are saying it's better to emulate than to play native? Smart choice........

Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Camzo
When did you last try it? There were problems with it until about a month ago, when Ubuntu gave directions on fine-tuning it. It now DOES work perfectly, you will not notice any difference running something in either OS.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="Camzo"]Not really, as you can use Wine, the Windows Emulator, which works perfectly with any software designed for Windows. This means you can have the pure excellence of Linux also with your favourite games. And as for Mac, there are ways around that too.Ontain
wine works perfectly? you and i have radically different views of what is perfect. ;)

I was just about to post a similar comment :P.
Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Camzo

[QUOTE="Camzo"]Not really, as you can use Wine, the Windows Emulator, which works perfectly with any software designed for Windows. This means you can have the pure excellence of Linux also with your favourite games. And as for Mac, there are ways around that too.Deihmos

Why on earth would I want to emulate anything? Half the time it does not work and games do not work properly. So you are saying it's better to emulate than to play native? Smart choice........

No, but it's better to emulate and get to use an excellent, safe, and fun OS instead of playing natively and getting countless viruses and making yourself known as unoriginal and a Gates feeder.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ontain

When did you last try it? There were problems with it until about a month ago, when Ubuntu gave directions on fine-tuning it. It now DOES work perfectly, you will not notice any difference running something in either OS.Camzo
what recent and popular games are you running perfectly under wine?

Can you run STALKER well?

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 inoperativeRS
When did you last try it? There were problems with it until about a month ago, when Ubuntu gave directions on fine-tuning it. It now DOES work perfectly, you will not notice any difference running something in either OS.Camzo
I have to admit the last time I used Wine was a few months ago as I got a new computer for christmas and have been using that since then. If I ever go back to my last comp (which is the one I'm dual booting on) I can try it out and see if it has improved, though.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

[QUOTE="Camzo"]Not really, as you can use Wine, the Windows Emulator, which works perfectly with any software designed for Windows. This means you can have the pure excellence of Linux also with your favourite games. And as for Mac, there are ways around that too.Camzo

No, but it's better to emulate and get to use an excellent, safe, and fun OS instead of playing natively and getting countless viruses and making yourself known as unoriginal and a Gates feeder.

There are many software that i use that will never work with linux also I doubt my printer has linux drivers. I have no time to get an emulator working when I can save myself time and stress by using Windows.  It's just not worth it to me but i am happy that you are happy using it.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ontain
http://appdb.winehq.org so I enter the popular current games into their search and while some can install (many don't get that far) the games are mostly unplayable. I love linux but it's not the gamer choice unless you only like playing games that are years old.
Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Camzo
Well I'm pleased there was so flaming, but you can download a driver in seconds from the Internet if you have a good connection speed, and all you have to do is tick a box to make the already-installed WINE become operative for when you put in Windows software. I have tried World of Warcraft on the Emulator (even though I hate that game), the Rosetta Stone language program, and Guild Wars. I also played a very old Windows 95 game, Motorcross Madness, and another, Midtown Madness 1.
Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Camzo
Well OK, I'm not here for an argument, I personally just loathe Windows.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

[QUOTE="Camzo"]Not really, as you can use Wine, the Windows Emulator, which works perfectly with any software designed for Windows. This means you can have the pure excellence of Linux also with your favourite games. And as for Mac, there are ways around that too.Camzo

I haven't gotten a virus in a long time, that's what you have anti virus software for (and some common sense also helps). And I honestly have no problem giving my money to a man that uses them to cure malaria and improve the school system.
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

XP

But will upgrade to Vista once the first service pack comes out.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ontain
WoW is one of the games that gets a lot of wine support. but wow is also easier because there's an opengl mode and it works for MAC. it still not perfect but it's playable. However for most new games you many not see a playable version for years if ever. also while i have tried to get games to run under wine (older games) many that actually do work require much more technical work than most ppl want to bother with.
Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Camzo
Anti virus are the most horrible programs ever. I dont want to be prompted whenever I turn my PC on. And although Gates give a very large sum away, he still has like 6 billion dollars or something stupid i think it may be more, for himself. Nobody need 6B to live.
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 billing
[QUOTE="Camzo"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]

[QUOTE="Camzo"]Not really, as you can use Wine, the Windows Emulator, which works perfectly with any software designed for Windows. This means you can have the pure excellence of Linux also with your favourite games. And as for Mac, there are ways around that too.inoperativeRS

I haven't gotten a virus in a long time, that's what you have anti virus software for (and some common sense also helps). And I honestly have no problem giving my money to a man that uses them to cure malaria and improve the school system.

I have not gotten a virus in over 5 years using XP....

Not even 1 pop-up..

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 billing

Anti virus are the most horrible programs ever. I dont want to be prompted whenever I turn my PC on. And although Gates give a very large sum away, he still has like 6 billion dollars or something stupid i think it may be more, for himself. Nobody need 6B to live.Camzo

Looks like you have something agenst Bill Gates not viruses , virus scans or Operating Systems.

Quit your hating :-)

Camzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Camzo
Got nothing against him personally, but he stupified the world by allowing everyone to use a way-too-easy OS. if everyone use Linux, everyone would be smarter with computers.