mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

You guys understand the difference between prerendered and real time graphics, right?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#152 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

@speak_low said:

We've come a long way with TPS graphics:

The one below looks like a CG cutscene for a game years ago (actually, it looks better - CG didn't always look the greatest years ago). Now that we have games that are playable and look like this, it's still not good enough for some.

Even GTA V's corridor sections, TLOU or Bioshock:Infinite did not look like anything close to what you see above. They looked great, but looked like video games. This is on another level, but it's still not good enough for some.

The issue with comparing cgi from a few years ago to this is simple. Back then (strange that 10 years ago is considered "back then" now :P) cgi was technically impressive, but artictically it cannot hold any ground. It's actually quite fascinating how streamlined mood and lighting has become in production, that now, regardless of technical fidelity, you can make it look better than the Blizzard cinematics from WarCraft 3. For example, you could port The Order to PS3, and it would still look better than those cinematics, because the composition, shapes, lighting, is all miles better than what people were doign 10 years ago. Red Dead Redemption is a console exclusive that looks terribly blurry, has pop ins, low framerate, etc. and yet it still has some of the best scenery in a game to date. Because of the lighting, and mood.

There wasn't enough thinking going on in 2002 or whenever they made the cinematics, there are things in there that just look terrible.

The Order could not be ported to PS3 without changing the assets. The next gen consoles are the reason those assets are made of so many polygons. The character models alone are like over 100,000 polygons. In contrast, Joel from TLOU is 30,000 polys. There is a sizeable jump to the geometry that would have to be rebuilt for smaller hardware like the PS3. A straight port wouldn't even begin to suffice. It would cease to be the same game of sorts.

Don't be anal retentive lol. It was just a hypothetical port. I'm saying that lighting and art direction is more important than actual technical prowess, so that's why a game with PS3 geometry and detail could still "look" better than cinematics from only a decade ago. Because games now have much larger teams working on them, a lot of talented people, and people who have a learned a LOT in the past decade as well.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I think it looks good, but if the gameplay is garbage, who gives a shit? In the end "graphics king" is a stupid accolade.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

Does look good, not going to deny that. But my god that is the most generic looking gameplay I've ever seen.

This

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@mikhail said:

You guys understand the difference between prerendered and real time graphics, right?

Huh? All the cutscenes run in realtime in this game i believe. You can clearly see that the character is being controlled by a player in the first shot.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

agreed TC yet again a thread that will deliver some DC!

and those animations and physics yummie, nothing on pc and XposBone comes close to this

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

the order is just another in the long line of console games that look better than anything on pc at the time

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

The Order looks really really impressive!

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

the order is just another in the long line of console games that look better than anything on pc at the time

That long line of 0, i'm not sure you understand the words long nor line.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Snugenz

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Snugenz said:

@m3dude1 said:

Gotta admit though. In it's genre, it's perhaps the best looking game out there. Name a TPS that looks better on anything. Surely you see why someone would say this.

It's a great looking game but "at the time" is a very broad statement.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I really don't like generic third person shooters.

What does this game have going for it other than black bars, and film grain effects?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Gameplay looks like old hat but I'll take it over Quantum Break because it at least looks amazing.

I love how that thing flinches and tries to regain it's balance. Great animation.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Snugenz

@MlauTheDaft said:

Gameplay looks like old hat but I'll take it over Quantum Break because it at least looks amazing.

I love how that thing flinches and tries to regain it's balance. Great animation.

You forget about "amazing visuals" very early on when playing a game, after an hour if the gameplay sucks it won't matter how good it looks (see: Crysis 3).

Well that's how it works for me atleast.

Karpetburnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Karpetburnz
Member since 2013 • 532 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog:

The Order and Quantum breaks gameplay is similar, but QB just has time powers or stutters, The Order also has slow motion, both are very similar at their core. although The order seems to have a better cover mechanic, you can slightly lean in and out, and the Order will probably have a better story.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

what line of console games?

When was the last time it happened?

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By m3dude1
@Snugenz said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Snugenz said:

@m3dude1 said:

Gotta admit though. In it's genre, it's perhaps the best looking game out there. Name a TPS that looks better on anything. Surely you see why someone would say this.

maybe pc will regain the graphics crown in 2016 when the division launches

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Snugenz

@m3dude1 said:
@Snugenz said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Snugenz said:

@m3dude1 said:

It would have to lose it first.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 mikhail

@m3dude1 said:
@Snugenz said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Snugenz said:

@m3dude1 said:

Enjoy your 30 fps 800p "cinematic" games...lol. When did you drink the console Kool Aid, was it recently or have you been this way all your life?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Snugenz

@mikhail said:

@m3dude1 said:

Enjoy your 30 fps 800p "cinematic" games...lol. When did you drink the console Kool Aid, was it recently or have you been this way all your life?

He's the same guy that claimed a game on his 1080p TV looked better than the same game on a 1440p monitor (at 1440p). He's a fool.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#175 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

The actual gameplay segments don't really look any further ahead than any other game, all they're doing is covering up flaws better than most games with shakey cam, blur and fog. Particle effects look nice though.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By mikhail

@bobbetybob said:

The actual gameplay segments don't really look any further ahead than any other game, all they're doing is covering up flaws better than most games with shakey cam, blur and fog. Particle effects look nice though.

Not to mention reducing the resolution by 25% from 1080p just to get it to even run at 30fps.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 MlauTheDaft

@Snugenz said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

You forget about "amazing visuals" very early on when playing a game, after an hour if the gameplay sucks it won't matter how good it looks (see: Crysis 3).

I'm the kind of person who does appreciate visual fidelity, but that's why I started out with my "old hat" comment and the QB comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, these two games are direct competitors and I favor The order because it looks a lot more atmospheric (technical fidelities aside).

They don't have to be technical marvels either. I keep finding myself compelled by the beautiful world of Divinity: Original Sin too. That gem really stimulates you imagination, to the extent where my heart was chipped a little when I completed "The Legionnaire's Will". There's nothing special about the quest apart from both husband and wife stuttering, but I still felt really bad for poor Marissa. I even refrained from reading the will, although it does'nt matter.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 m3dude1

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

kz, ryse, infamous, driveclub, order, uncharted etc

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

kz, ryse, infamous, driveclub, order, uncharted etc

That's a long line for you?

Unreleased games?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Snugenz

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Snugenz said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

I'm the kind of person who does appreciate visual fidelity, but that's why I started out with my "old hat" comment and the QB comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, these two games are direct competitors and I favor The order because it looks a lot more atmospheric (technical fidelities aside).

They don't have to be technical marvels either. I keep finding myself compelled by the beautiful world of Divinity: Original Sin too. That gem really stimulates you imagination, to the extent where my heart was chipped a little when I completed "The Legionnaire's Will". There's nothing special about the quest apart from both husband and wife stuttering, but I still felt really bad for poor Marissa. I even refrained from reading the will, although it does'nt matter.

I get ya, but i'm not talking about visual fidelity, i'm talking about the graphical "wow" factor, that's what wears off very early in a game. And i'm not sure The Order (or even Quantum Break) will have good enough gameplay (unlike the brilliant Divinity OS like you mentioned) to get them past the wow factor.

I've seen it already this gen in games like Killzone SF which is a gorgeous console game, but once you get over them amazing visuals there's not much more to the game.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 MlauTheDaft

@Snugenz said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Snugenz said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

I get ya, but i'm not talking about visual fidelity, i'm talking about the graphical "wow" factor, that's what wears off very early in a game. And i'm not sure The Order (or even Quantum Break) will have good enough gameplay (unlike the brilliant Divinity OS like you mentioned) to get them past the wow factor.

I've seen it already this gen in games like Killzone SF which is a gorgeous console game, but once you get over them amazing visuals there's not much more to the game.

Think I get what you mean :) Crysis 3 is a perfect example of technically amazing, yet uninspired visuals.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 mikhail

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mikhail said:

@bobbetybob said:

Not to mention reducing the resolution by 25% from 1080p just to get it to even run at 30fps.

It's pushing a lot of polys, effects to screen. And the animation is off the charts. At least appreciate that's it's a graphical work of art.

Keep making excuses for that underpowered console hardware, you're doing great!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mikhail said:

@bobbetybob said:

It's pushing a lot of polys, effects to screen. And the animation is off the charts. At least appreciate that's it's a graphical work of art.

can we at least wait for it to be released before calling it a graphical work of art?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#186  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@m3dude1 said:

http://myreactiongifs.com/gifs/nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#188 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Yeah game is gorgeous. This and bloodborne are what I look forward to on ps4. Getting mine as soon as tap/Pell checks come in, and kzsf and infamous SS are first with it.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By mikhail

@scottpsfan14: Since you're talking about polys and pixels, let's do the math and I'll show you exactly how underpowered the PS4 is.

1080p60fps, the standard for PC games for a number of years: (1920 * 1080) * 60 = 124 million rendered pixels per second.

800p30fps, The Order 1886 on PS4: (1920 * 800) * 30 = 46 million rendered pixels per second.

It better look this good when the system only has to draw a third of the amount of pixels that essentially every PC game has been doing for years. For as "next gen" as Sony is touting this hardware to be, it's pretty comical that it can only put out a third of what a mid-range gaming PC can do.

By all means, spin this into "cinematic feel", though. Nonsense.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Looked good.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#191 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@scottpsfan14: I knew this would happen lol. Ryse would be hyped by the hermits. 4/10 is a 4/10. The Order looks more interesting. And the graphics are at least as good.

As good as ryse PC? We haven't really seen it in final have we? Hard to believe any console can match what PC can do. No, doubt order will be a better game. Well, I hope.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Snugenz

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lostrib said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@mikhail said:

@bobbetybob said:

can we at least wait for it to be released before calling it a graphical work of art?

Well if that's the case, why argue for The Witcher? For all we know they could downgrade like hell. But nooo, it's a PC dev so they get the worlds sign of approval. Srsly f**k the idiots on here. Find someone else to pester.

It's not just a PC dev, it's CD Projekt Red. The Witcher 2 can still punish the highest end rigs today because CDPR make games that scale fantastically.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
@shadiezz2012 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@shurns said:

When I seen QB I was impressed by it's graphics, but I was more impressed by The Order.

Quantum Break will be better 'game' though . A lot better . Graphics wise , I think Witcher 3 , Ryse PC and Unreal Tournament will be new graphics kings and two of these (TW3 and UT) will also be good games and not just tech demos like Ryse and Order .

again how would you know that when you never played any of them ?

Quantum Break is generic and linear for all the right reasons. The Order however isn't since it doesn't have this stamped on it.....

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@lostrib said:

Well if that's the case, why argue for The Witcher? For all we know they could downgrade like hell. But nooo, it's a PC dev so they get the worlds sign of approval. Srsly f**k the idiots on here. Find someone else to pester.

Well The Witcher already came out, and I wouldn't call it a graphics king.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#196 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@nervmeister said:
@shadiezz2012 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@shurns said:

When I seen QB I was impressed by it's graphics, but I was more impressed by The Order.

Quantum Break will be better 'game' though . A lot better . Graphics wise , I think Witcher 3 , Ryse PC and Unreal Tournament will be new graphics kings and two of these (TW3 and UT) will also be good games and not just tech demos like Ryse and Order .

again how would you know that when you never played any of them ?

Quantum Break is generic and linear for all the right reasons. The Order however isn't since it doesn't have this stamped on it.....

I'm a PC gamer ,

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/blog/platform-of-choice-for-next-generation-my-opinion/26031306/

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 mikhail

@scottpsfan14: I'd actually like to see real gameplay and not carefully crafted trailers before comparing it to any other game, especially since it's at least 6 months away. Who knows, maybe Ready At Dawn will magically increase the game's resolution and frame rate between now and then. You know, that elusive "Console games are optimized" argument that we keep hearing.

The game does look good - but let's face it, it's a linear third person shooter that will get good to average reviews and then be quickly forgotten. PlayStation fanboys are only so ravenously excited for this because there's not that much else to be excited for.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

Batman Arkham Knight and Dragon Age Inquisition look best to my eyes.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Would be a lot more impressive if it was 60FPS.