The one thing that could save the Wii U

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Pokemon

Seriously... Nintendo, f*cking get your head out of your ass and make a Pokemon HD. A real Pokemon HD, a true blue, full fledged mainline Pokemon game. Make it share the same universe as the upcoming X and Y. Maybe make it a sequel to X and Y, but Wii U only. Release it next year if you have to, to give X and Y breathing space.

• Fully online compatible, with full Miiverse support
  • Full 3D, HD graphics, a full fledged open world
  • All 700+ Pokemon
  • Wii U pad support, with Off TV Play supported, to keep the 'portable' nature of the games intact
  • Random online battling, online tournaments, online trading, and online co-op
  • Persistent game world, with an aftergame supported by periodic DLC quests. Maybe sell Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova as DLC areas.
  • NFC compatible. Buy toys to unlock special Pokemon in game. Ban them from ranked tournaments to make sure the game stays balanced.
  • Since Game Freak a) takes a lot of time with game development, and b) is completely unfamiliar with console game development, outsource it. Give it to Level 5. As games like Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud, and Ni No Kuni demonstrate, they are more than up to the task.

DO IT NINTENDO. More than any other game, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Zelda, anything, this is what will give you sustained sales for your home console. There is still time to save it, if you do it, so... do it already.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Or Mario in da swimming pool!

:P

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

xdusboxbig.jpg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

xdusboxbig.jpg

MFDOOM1983

A real Pokemon HD, a true blue, full fledged mainline Pokemon game.charizard1605

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Never going to happen.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Does the main barrier lie with Game Freak?

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I think it would sell great if they do make it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Never going to happen.

Renegade_Fury

I know, because Nintendo is f*cking (censored to avoid moderation)

psymon100

No, it's because Nintendo is convinced the series needs to stay handheld only for some reason.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Yes it would.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

xdusboxbig.jpg

MFDOOM1983
Da'fuq? Front of XD, back of Colliseum? O.o Either way, I would buy a Wii U for a sequel/spiritual sequel to this. Not if it's basically a copy of the handheld iterations.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Pok%C3%A9mon_Colosseum.jpg

Maybe this time things will be different. Ha Ha Ha, no.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nintendo_Ownes7

psymon100

Game Freak said they want the main series to be Handheld only currently.

But Game Freak was going to make a console Pokemon game but it was cancelled it was going to be on the N64.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

psymon100
One of my favorite freaks. Don Draper could help, but he's too busy not doing his job.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Pok%C3%A9mon_Colosseum.jpg

Maybe this time things will be different. Ha Ha Ha, no.

MFDOOM1983
What part of 'mainline, full fledged Pokemon RPG' is hard for you to understand, exactly? Or are you just trolling to troll?
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

So much yes. But yay, another Wii U thread.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Michael0134567
Congrats on the 20K!!
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psymon100

But Game Freak was going to make a console Pokemon game but it was cancelled it was going to be on the N64.

Nintendo_Ownes7

No, it's because Nintendo is convinced the series needs to stay handheld only for some reasoncharizard1605

OK. The answer is inconclusive. Does this help?

From here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/01/09/why-wont-nintendo-make-a-pokemon-console-game/

This may seem like an odd declaration, but Im not the one making it. Its actually from Game Freak co-founder Junichi Masuda who stated his own reasons for not believing the game is for consoles:

I dont think so. I think the Pokemon core series is always going to be with handheld hardware, in the future as well. I consider handheld hardware you can carry around with you as almost being equal to being with Pokemon, always. I think handheld really matches the idea of Pokemon that we have. Also, you can communicate and transfer data all the time, whenever you want with a handheld. Thats also a match with the Pokemon concept.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

Michael0134567

berry the wii u threads in a desolate wasteland like new scotland

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

not even jesus descending from heavan can save Wii U and Nintendo now.  

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

That would sell a few units. Kiddies and manchilds love pokemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

psymon100

No, it's because Nintendo is convinced the series needs to stay handheld only for some reasoncharizard1605

From here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/01/09/why-wont-nintendo-make-a-pokemon-console-game/

This may seem like an odd declaration, but Im not the one making it. Its actually from Game Freak co-founder Junichi Masuda who stated his own reasons for not believing the game is for consoles:

I dont think so. I think the Pokemon core series is always going to be with handheld hardware, in the future as well. I consider handheld hardware you can carry around with you as almost being equal to being with Pokemon, always. I think handheld really matches the idea of Pokemon that we have. Also, you can communicate and transfer data all the time, whenever you want with a handheld. Thats also a match with the Pokemon concept.

The rights to the IP lie with Nintendo. They own Pokemon. At worst, Game Freak can refuse to develop a mainline series game on a console, but like I said in the OP, that does not stop Nintendo from outsourcing it to a studio like Level 5 (or developing it in house), and making a mainline game on a console anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

That would sell a few units. Kiddies and manchilds love pokemon

El_Garbanzo
I am in awe of your unrestrained masculinity.
Agent-Tojed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Agent-Tojed
Member since 2012 • 160 Posts

Nintendo probrably thinks the main appeal of Pokemon (other than, you know, tiny creatures) is the fact that you can take your Pokemon anywhere. To the bus, to the movies, to the bathroom, etc.  When you try to capture Lugia is it better to sit on your couch, then having to leave your game on so you can continue the fight later? Or is it better to close your game on handhelds, continue your day as usual, then open it back up and continue what you were doing? Accessibility is the key here. And with Pokemon JUST entering 3D on the 3DS, I don't think Nintendo has any plans to transfer full fledged Pokemon to consoles.

...But I would kill for Pokemon to be on consoles. But it won't happen anytime soon.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

Nintendo need to increase the size and amount of studios they have so they can get more of their games out and quicker. They need to learn to be more efficient too, western studios have shown many times that it's entirely possible to make a AAA game from scratch in two to three years.

On topic, yes Pokemon would help but it's not enough. Even with games like this the system is far too expensive when compared to alternative options.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Nintendo probrably thinks the main appeal of Pokemon (other than, you know, tiny creatures) is the fact that you can take your Pokemon anywhere. To the bus, to the movies, to the bathroom, etc.  When you try to capture Lugia is it better to sit on your couch, then having to leave your game on so you can continue the fight later? Or is it better to close your game on handhelds, continue your day as usual, then open it back up and continue what you were doing? Accessibility is the key here. And with Pokemon JUST entering 3D on the 3DS, I don't think Nintendo has any plans to transfer full fledged Pokemon to consoles.

...But I would kill for Pokemon to be on consoles. But it won't happen anytime soon.

Agent-Tojed
That's why they can make it off TV play compatible, AND fully compatible with X and Y on the 3DS. As of right now, the infrastructure exists for them to do it. They have no reasons, no excuses, to not do it.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

From here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/01/09/why-wont-nintendo-make-a-pokemon-console-game/

This may seem like an odd declaration, but Im not the one making it. Its actually from Game Freak co-founder Junichi Masuda who stated his own reasons for not believing the game is for consoles:

I dont think so. I think the Pokemon core series is always going to be with handheld hardware, in the future as well. I consider handheld hardware you can carry around with you as almost being equal to being with Pokemon, always. I think handheld really matches the idea of Pokemon that we have. Also, you can communicate and transfer data all the time, whenever you want with a handheld. Thats also a match with the Pokemon concept.

charizard1605

The rights to the IP lie with Nintendo. They own Pokemon. At worst, Game Freak can refuse to develop a mainline series game on a console, but like I said in the OP, that does not stop Nintendo from outsourcing it to a studio like Level 5 (or developing it in house), and making a mainline game on a console anyway.

I thought it was the Pokémon Company's decision but the Pokémon Company is 1/3rd owned by Nintendo, 1/3rd owned by Creatures Inc., and 1/3rd owned by Game Freak.

Edit* I thought the Pokémon IP is owned 1/3 by Nintendo, 1/3rd by The Pokémon Company, and 1/3rd by Game Freak.

But Nintendo owns 2/3rds of the Pokémon Company because they also own Creatures Inc.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

freedomfreak

Congrats on the 20K!!

Thanks.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psymon100

Yes you're quite right, ownership is with Nintendo. And this guy's speech, is about why he doesn't think it would, rather than actual reasons why they wouldn't. 

In conclusion, I think you're right. Barriers lie with Nintendo. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Yes you're quite right, ownership is with Nintendo. And this guy's speech, is about why he doesn't think it would, rather than actual reasons why they wouldn't. 

In conclusion, I think you're right. Barriers lie with Nintendo. 

psymon100

Yeah... I hope they actually seriously consider this. A mainline, full HD, NFC enabled, online, persistent Pokemon console game would generate so much revenue, it's not even funny.

I thought it was the Pokémon Company's decision but the Pokémon Company is 1/3rd owned by Nintendo, 1/3rd owned by Creatures Inc., and 1/3rd owned by Game Freak.

The Pokémon IP is owned 1/3 by Nintendo, 1/3rd by The Pokémon Company, and 1/3rd by Game Freak.

Nintendo_Ownes7

The Pokemon IP is owned 1/3 by Nintendo, 1/3 by The Pokemon Company, 1/3 by Game Freak.

The Pokemon Company is itself 1/3 Nintendo, 1/3 Creatures, 1/3 Game Freak.

Creatures itself has a 20% Nintendo stake. 

So you see, Nintendo basically has the majority stake in Pokemon. They can decide what to do with it. They can decide where the games should go.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Nintendo_Ownes7

System seller for sure.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

The Pokemon IP is owned 1/3 by Nintendo, 1/3 by The Pokemon Company, 1/3 by Game Freak.

The Pokemon Company is itself 1/3 Nintendo, 1/3 Creatures, 1/3 Game Freak.

Creatures itself has a 20% Nintendo stake. 

So you see, Nintendo basically has the majority stake in Pokemon. They can decide what to do with it. They can decide where the games should go.

charizard1605

ummm ... ok .... but who owns the fourth third?

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

charizard1605

The rights to the IP are shared between Nintendo and GameFreak. Nintendo doesn't own GameFreak and can't make a game without their approval.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

The rights to the IP are shared between Nintendo and GameFreak. Nintendo doesn't own GameFreak and can't make a game without their approval.

metroidfood
Nintendo has the majority, as I described above

ummm ... ok .... but who owns the fourth third?

CrownKingArthur
Me
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

What part of 'mainline, full fledged Pokemon RPG' is hard for you to understand, exactly? Or are you just trolling to troll?charizard1605

I honestly don't think it makes that much of a difference, though. Say what you want about Colosseum and XD not being "mainline, full-fledged" games, they did still show the shortcomings that come with a console Pokemon game, and they didn't have nearly the same level of success as the handheld games did. There's no guarantee Wii U sales would dramatically pick up even if Nintendo did this, especially with where the system stands at this point.

I also think that such a game you speak of would take longer than a year to put together. Unless Nintendo decided to give the Wii U version the ol' 3DS-to-Wii U port job, I suspect that this would require a healthy amount of resources. Furthermore, if it's an extention of X/Y, it also becomes less appealing as a whole, as most players of those two games would have already experienced the world without the need to get a Wii U.

I believe you're asking for too much. On top of that, Pokemon is just a series that works hand-in-hand to the strengths of portable platforms, making it even tougher for Nintendo to consider using such resources for a game when the 3DS would always be a stronger option.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Pokemon Z
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#35 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Not another colleseum. But a rpg like the GBA ones would be sweet. Make the battles 3D and HD. Online battles would work like colleseum but you use your same pokemon from your story mode. Have like brackets for different leveled pokemon to keep it somewhat fair. It would sell big time.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
This is like asking Crapcom to release monster hunter on current gen CONSOLES and not freaking handhelds with 1995 graphics... I do believe that TRUE pokemon game on the wiiu may significantly boost its sales but i dunno about the 'save' part.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Nintendo could do some great things if they stopped thinking like Nintendo. I would kill a man for this...
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
Even IF a pokemon game releases, Will people buy it? Will save the Wii U?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Even IF a pokemon game releases, Will people buy it? Will save the Wii U?faizan_faizan
Do you know how much hardware and software Pokemon sells?
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nintendo_Ownes7

Not another colleseum. But a rpg like the GBA ones would be sweet. Make the battles 3D and HD. Online battles would work like colleseum but you use your same pokemon from your story mode. Have like brackets for different leveled pokemon to keep it somewhat fair. It would sell big time.

ristactionjakso

When you battle with the current Handheld games the levels get locked so everyone is on the same level unless you don't want to play like that. But it still doesn't make it fair unless both EV trained their Pokémon; I battled my friend and he EV trained his Pokémon and I didn't and I got my ass handed to me.

Agent-Tojed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Agent-Tojed
Member since 2012 • 160 Posts

[QUOTE="Agent-Tojed"]

charizard1605

That's why they can make it off TV play compatible, AND fully compatible with X and Y on the 3DS. As of right now, the infrastructure exists for them to do it. They have no reasons, no excuses, to not do it.

Just because it exists doesn't mean they'll use it. Like I said, it's much more convienient for them to stick to handhelds since it's cheaper and easier to deal with. This is Nintendo we're talking about here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Agent-Tojed"]

Agent-Tojed

Just because it exists doesn't mean they'll use it. Like I said, it's much more convienient for them to stick to handhelds since it's cheaper and easier to deal with. This is Nintendo we're talking about here.

Oh, I know for sure it won't happen. But what I am saying is, whereas until now, there were some legitimate creative reasons Nintendo had for not putting Pokemon on consoles, now they have none. They can do it now if they want to, while still staying true to the spirit of the series.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

charizard1605

As long as GameFreak owns a share in the IP they're not going to do anything without their approval. Even if they own the majority, it's not worth p!ssing off one of their biggest bread and butter studios, especially considering that they're second party.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="metroidfood"]

metroidfood

As long as GameFreak owns a share in the IP they're not going to do anything without their approval. Even if they own the majority, it's not worth p!ssing off one of their biggest bread and butter studios, especially considering that they're second party.

They could get Game Freak on board. Concessions, maybe support for some non Pokemon games, let them have first dibs on the 4DS dev kits, maybe even let some game Freak guys be on the hardware design panel, whatever. Game Freak is tiny. It could be appeased.
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts
It would sell quite a few WiiUs but I don't see it saving the WiiU to be honest. WiiU is just a bad idea.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

they are trying chaz..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
It would sell quite a few WiiUs but I don't see it saving the WiiU to be honest. WiiU is just a bad idea.I_can_haz
A console is as good as the games it is on, if Nintendo put all their weight behind the Wii U like they did with the 3DS, it could yet be salvageable.

they are trying chaz..

KBFloYd
But that's not what I meant. I mean a real, mainline Pokemon Wii U. Like the handheld games, but on a console this time.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
That would be awesome, as long as they let me transfer my Pokemon back and forward from console to handheld.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
how about a new marketing department?
Dj-CrunkyTIGER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dj-CrunkyTIGER
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Pokemon Stadium sold 5 milliom Stadium 2 sold 2.5 Collosium took most of the GC's life span since release to gain 2 million XD took till the end of print run to gain 1.2 all others not mentioned sold under 100,000 except one. But you believe Pokemon can still save the Wii U?