The Official Wii U Thread: Nintendo Direct Incoming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4601 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-darksiders-2-on-wii-u-face-off

Wii U version inferior to both PS3 and 360. :[

Stevo_the_gamer
And this is coming from a dev who was championing the wii-u's graphical capabilities " Likewise, intensive combat scenes also cause problems for Nintendo's console, with performance dips up to 10FPS lower than the 360 and PS3 when the engine is taxed. At one point we see the Wii U version adopting a sustained 18-20FPS in parts of the last combat scene in our performance video." Jeesh
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4602 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
I've been hearing good things about assassin's creed 3 on miiverse. I wonder if ubisoft patched it.
SectorSix6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4603 SectorSix6
Member since 2012 • 201 Posts

so japan get black WiiU game cases? no fair.

Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4604 Enforcedspot
Member since 2010 • 2915 Posts

Stevo_the_gamer
Trine 2 and AC3 are the positive ones from what I've read.
SectorSix6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4605 SectorSix6
i just read the WiiU review in GI... he mentions a white led light by the disc slot that stays on when there is a cd inside...can that be turned off?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4606 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so japan get black WiiU game cases? no fair.

SectorSix6

that's probably just for monster hunter...the rest are probably blue also.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4607 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

i just read the WiiU review in GI... he mentions a white led light by the disc slot that stays on when there is a cd inside...can that be turned off?SectorSix6

Not that I can tell.

It seems to remain on in my Wii U launch-day owning experience.

Since I leave Super Mario U in the machine, that white light has remained on for weeks.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4608 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Stevo_the_gamer

I really don't understand Nintendo's hardware choices. Obviously alpha blending is the cause of all WiiU's performance issues in all these ports, and the reason for that is lack of SIMD instructions and memory bandwidth. Instead Ninendo decided to go with low latency which I don't see helping too much in terms of performance in any practical situation. I mean...sure they can workaround the SIMD issue by offloading teh calculations to teh GPU(which they probably havent done), but the memory bandwidth still poses a problem. Maybe there is a workaround for that, but I wouldn't know. Oh well back to Nintendoland :P

SectorSix6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4609 SectorSix6

[QUOTE="SectorSix6"]i just read the WiiU review in GI... he mentions a white led light by the disc slot that stays on when there is a cd inside...can that be turned off?SolidTy

Not that I can tell.

Since I leave Super Mario U in the machine, that white light has remained on for weeks.

Ugh i could see that becoming annoying for me, especially if i have my lights off in my room and all i see is a bright white light from the corner of my eyes when gaming. =/
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4610 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="SectorSix6"]i just read the WiiU review in GI... he mentions a white led light by the disc slot that stays on when there is a cd inside...can that be turned off?SectorSix6

Not that I can tell.

Ugh i could see that becoming annoying for me, especially if i have my lights off in my room and all i see is a bright white light from the corner of my eyes when gaming. =/

Yeah, not sure why they chose to do that. From what I've noticed though, its a pretty dull light.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4613 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

Enforcedspot

I heard it is more bugs in AC3 for WiiU :|

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4614 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

painguy1

I really don't understand Nintendo's hardware choices. Obviously alpha blending is the cause of all WiiU's performance issues in all these ports, and the reason for that is lack of SIMD instructions and memory bandwidth. Instead Ninendo decided to go with low latency which I don't see helping too much in terms of performance in any practical situation. I mean...sure they can workaround the SIMD issue by offloading teh calculations to teh GPU(which they probably havent done), but the memory bandwidth still poses a problem. Maybe there is a workaround for that, but I wouldn't know. Oh well back to Nintendoland :P

Cost-cutting...

I think 360's CPU would be better choice than Wii's but you would also loose BC that way.

The way I see it Nintendo will have to help out the 3rd parties with their games, for best results.

Their own games will, obviously, take the best advantage of the machine.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4615 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Enforcedspot"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

aroxx_ab

I heard it is more bugs in AC3 for WiiU :|

all three versions have bugs up the ass. It's common with open world games.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4616 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

nameless12345

Cost-cutting...

I think 360's CPU would be better choice than Wii's but you would also loose BC that way.

The way I see it Nintendo will have to help out the 3rd parties with their games, for best results.

Their own games will, obviously, take the best advantage of the machine.

Well actually 360's CPU would be even worse. 360's CPU is absolute garbage. The only advantage it really has is SIMD which can be offloaded to the GPU. Developer engines just haven't been changed to do that yet since they'd have to figure out how to sync everything with the rest of teh game logic. WiiU's CPU aside from SIMD performance is decent upgrade from the 360, and much more efficient considering its clock speed is a 3rd of the 360's and its equivelent in performance. (altough still not very good at all). I do agree with the rest of your statement though :P I wish Nintendo would just forget about BC. If they dropped BC we would have a much stronger system in our hands for the same price :?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4618 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Well actually 360's CPU would be even worse. 360's CPU is absolute garbage. The only advantage it really has is SIMD which can be offloaded to the GPU. Developer engines just haven't been changed to do that yet since they'd have to figure out how to sync everything with the rest of teh game logic. WiiU's CPU aside from SIMD performance is decent upgrade from the 360, and much more efficient considering its clock speed is a 3rd of the 360's and its equivelent in performance. (altough still not very good at all). I do agree with the rest of your statement though :P I wish Nintendo would just forget about BC. If they dropped BC we would have a much stronger system in our hands for the same price :?

painguy1

I'm no expert, but from what I gathered, the CPU architecture isn't ultimately the issue: it's the lack of familiarity with that CPU in this system context. A CPU closer to the 360 would have made the launch games look a lot better than they currently are, and even better than the 360, but that's only because devs are used to the 360 architecture. Regardless of any objective elements of superiority of the 360's CPU, it is undeniable that all WiiU games are currently built with game engines designed around a 360-type of archeture. There are no WiiU game engines yet. Nintendo is buildng those game engines as we speak and will undoubtedly be helping third parties with the transition to maximize the proformance of games on WiiU hardware.

My message: I'm not saying that it is proven that the WiiU's CPU will be better or even equal to the 360. I'm saying that it is too early to make those judgments. In the mean time, maybe it still wasn't worth it to preserve backwards compatibility but that all depends on what third parties can do with the new game engines when they come out.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4619 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

GunSmith1_basic

I'm no expert, but from what I gathered, the CPU architecture isn't ultimately the issue: it's the lack of familiarity with that CPU in this system context. A CPU closer to the 360 would have made the launch games look a lot better than they currently are, and even better than the 360, but that's only because devs are used to the 360 architecture. Regardless of any objective elements of superiority of the 360's CPU, it is undeniable that all WiiU games are currently built with game engines designed around a 360-type of archeture. There are no WiiU game engines yet. Nintendo is buildng those game engines as we speak and will undoubtedly be helping third parties with the transition to maximize the proformance of games on WiiU hardware.

My message: I'm not saying that it is proven that the WiiU's CPU will be better or even equal to the 360. I'm saying that it is too early to make those judgments. In the mean time, maybe it still wasn't worth it to preserve backwards compatibility but that all depends on what third parties can do with the new game engines when they come out.

This says it all!
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4620 painguy1

GunSmith1_basic

A hacker from fail overflow pretty much confirmed that the CPU is an upgrade from the 360, but he never mentioned by how much(didn't seem to make a big deal of it). Other than that I agree with what your saying. I don't believe I ever said other wise. :? In fact I went out of my way to say that IF the Darksider 2 devs offloaded SIMD related instructions to the GPU then alpha blending performance issues wouldn't be as prevalent which relates to your mentioning of unique and different hardware architectures.

yatesrinaldo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4621 yatesrinaldo1
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I was just wondering if the theater mode recent games ever expire
leader_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4623 leader_e
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts
what is the most active online game on the wii u right now ?
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4624 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Gonna see how we do without a sticky.

Don't fail me, System Wars :P

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4625 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

painguy1

No. BC is incredibly important, even from a marketing standpoint, I guess. People here have said they might pick it up because they'll also have Wii games to catch up on.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4626 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Enforcedspot

Is that gif from Bayo 2?

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4627 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Sales of the WiiU as of now.

US: 542,583

Europe First Two Days: 178,615

Japan First Two Days: 307,471

Other: 66,363

Total: 1,095,032

Yeah, its from lolvgcharts but should be better than nothing at least for now.

The top games sold by far is the ninty first parties. The third parties sold the other half with a grand total altogether of 2,289,275. NSMBU attach of 1 out 1.6, NL attach of 1 out 1.7, and ZombiU attach of 1 out of 5.8 people.