CONFIRMED BY NINTENDO, THE NEW SYSTEM WILL BE PLAYABLE AT E3 2011, AND IS DUE TO LAUNCH 2012 WORLDWIDE.
JAPANESE PRESS MEMO
ENGLISH PRESS MEMO
RUMORED SPECS FOR PROJECT CAFE:
This is it folks- Nintendo are jumping head on into HD, and kickstarting the eighth generation of gaming. The successor to the Wii is set to be revealed this E3, multiple sources have claimed, and it will be 'done right,' claim these sources, 'not a gimmick like the Wii.' Set to launch in 2012, the system will feature full backwards compatibility with the Wii, although it is unknown if it will carry the Wii branding.
The catch is that when Nintendo was contacted for information by Game Informer, they did not say the usual we do not respond to speculation and rumors.... instead, they said 'stay tuned for E3.' This is it, folks. This is as big as it gets. Nintendo is all set to unveil their latest system- what will it be like? Sound off, people!
Source: Game Informer
Source: KotakuThe original rumor
Since then, the rumor mills have gone absolutely bersek. Over the past one week, so many rumors have been going around about the Project Cafe.
So let's get some of them out of the way:
- More powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3
- Streams output at 1080p
- May or may not be stereoscopic 3D enabled right out of the box
- The controller will have an HD touch scren along with the entire button setup of the Gamecube. The touch screen will make the system act like a gigantic Nintendo DS
- Rockstar has a development kit for the system, and Grand Theft Auto V will be a launch title
- DICE has a development kit for the system and Battlefield 3 will be a launch title for the system.
- Retro has a development kit for the system, and is working on a sequel to a beloved game - rumors point to it being either Star Fox or Eternal Darkness 2.
- The system will be priced $350-$400, and could be released as early as October this year.
- The system will not carry the Wii branding.
- The system will be fully backwards compatible with the Wii
- The system willnot use friend codes.
- Miyamotohas confirmed the existence of the system, saying there is no smoke without fire.
Thanks i3DS for the image!
Rumor Consolidation 2011
-Marvell QuadCore processors for new console- *This might have had something to do with Kinect, But I don't remember.
-IBM implies that Wii2 uses Cell based PPC
-Marvell Quad cores gets a large order:From large console manufacturer - *once again might be Kinect related.
-House of the Dead: Overkill 2 in the works
-EA reviving NFL Blitz
-UltraViolet Media Cloud service coming to a console- Most Likely Sony since Sony is a partner.
-New Pokemon game for Wii
-Wii2 announcement coming soonaccording to THQ
-Wii2 announcement coming soonaccording to EA
-AMD working on CPU/GPU combined chip for console due for release @ end of 2012; Told to bring schedule in for earlier release
-Monster Hunter 3DS to be announced soon
-SSFIV3D connects to home console- Hint @ Wii2 from Capcom and 3DS -> Wii2 connectivity
-Wii price drop to $150 on May 15th
-Wii2 announcement @ E3:1080p HD, More powerful than PS360, BC with Wii, release late 2012
-New Wii2 controller has HD screen built in
-Wii2 to use Bluray technology
-Wii2 actually aimed at early 2012 release(1st half 2012) *IGN backs this up in their mailbag*
-Controller Screen is actually a Touch Screen
-Project Cafe: Wii2 Controller is a Tablet:6" touch Screen on Controller, front facing camera & doubles as sensor bar for BC
-Dual Analogs, Streaming & GamesWii2 controller to rival 3DS, NGP, iPhone & iPad apparently
-1st & 3rd Party games @ E3EA, Ubisoft & Capcom all but confirmed
-Wii2 = TriCore PPC & R700 ****GPU w/ 512+MB RamAnother surprise to be shown @ E3
-3rd Parties have had Wii2 Dev Kits for Months, Has better Motion Tracking than Move
-Pikmin 3 moved to Project Cafeto be shown @ E3; Nintendo also in talks with R* for solid AAA support.
-Wii2 launch June 2012; Rockstar delivering game (?GTA V?) during launch window
-Wii2, 3DS & E3!? Oh Yes!!; 3rd Parties taking a front seat this time around.
-Retro working on Wii2 game; and it's "a project everyone wants us to do" (Starfox? Zelda? New Original FPS?)
-Retro's new game is actually Eternal Darkness 2?
-"Where there's smoke, there's fire" - Miyamoto's comment on Project Cafe- He also said not to believe everything you hear though.
-Wii2 controller has a 6.2" screen and 8 buttons
-1up says: No Friend Codes for Wii2
*Post taken from Nintendo World Report forums credit again goes to BlackNMild2k1*
This rumor consolidation was first posted by 22toothpicks. Be sure to thank him!
What do you guys think? No smoke without fire?