The official KZSF vs Ryse graphics thread.

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

Now that we have direct feed grabs of both games, it's time to pit them side by side and witness the true graphic differences between the two. Try to be as objective as you can and state the reasons for why you think one looks better than another. Personally I put Killzone SF above Ryse for the most obvious reason of 1080p native, much faster frame rate and much more things happening on screen, better textures in a much bigger game environment. Both have excellent lighting, shaders and models though Ryse does excel in facial animation and perhaps animation in general. Please click to view full res.

Quote from the author of DigitalFoundry on Ryse technical analysis.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91351048&postcount=31

I do think Killzone Shadowfall is the best looking launch title between the two, though, but Ryse is definitely second place for me.

Killzone Shadow Fall

Developer : Guerrilla Games Sony First Party

Engine: Guerrilla Games in house Killzone engine

Tech highlights: 1080p native 30-40fps in SP, 1080p native 40-60fps in MP. Every light is an Area light that has volumetric property that casts volumetric shadows, true Ray-Trace based Screen Space reflection, Physically based rendering, TSSAA, GPGPU compute for color grading, force field and memory defragmentation.

Ryse

Developer: Crytek

Engine: Cryengine

Tech highlights: 900p native, 26-28fps with dips to teens for SP. 85k main character model, pixel accurate displacement map, Physically based lighting, Subsurface scattering shader.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

Ryse. Topic over

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

From what I've seen and read; I prefer the look and art style of KZ:SF, but Ryse is a technical beast.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Ryse actually looks worse than I imagined it would and so now is no contest. Lems shouldn't even bother to bring it up.

Killzone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ryse

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

Ryse actually looks worse than I imagined it would and so now is no contest. Lems shouldn't even bother to bring it up.

Killzone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ryse

You seem to talk about Ryse more than anyone...

Is it because of this?

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Every sane person knows KZ looks better than Ryse.

This is a fact.

And lol at the butthurt lem reactions.

Have fun with you kinect, 720p, cablebox lems. LMFAO

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Ryse looks like garbage... and plays like it as well, just like all the other crytek games.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

@gpuking said:

Now that we have direct feed grabs of both games, it's time to pit them side by side and witness the true graphic differences between the two. Try to be as objective as you can and state the reasons for why you think one looks better than another. Personally I put Killzone SF above Ryse for the most obvious reason of 1080p native, much faster frame rate and much more things happening on screen, better textures in a much bigger game environment. Both have excellent lighting, shaders and models though Ryse does excel in facial animation and perhaps animation in general. Please click to view full res.

Killzone Shadow Fall

Developer : Guerrilla Games Sony First Party

Engine: Guerrilla Games in house Killzone engine

Tech highlights: 1080p native 30-40fps in SP, 1080p native 40-60fps in MP. Every light is an Area light that has volumetric property that casts volumetric shadows, true Ray-Trace based Screen Space reflection, Physically based rendering, TSSAA, GPGPU compute for color grading, force field and memory defragmentation.

Ryse

Developer: Crytek

Engine: Cryengine

Tech highlights: 900p native, 26-28fps with dips to teens for SP. 85k main character model, pixel accurate displacement map, Physically based lighting, Subsurface scattering shader.

1. technically cry engine 3 has most if not all the features you listed on killzone engine, heck if my memory is correct, it even has more features

2. not sure what does it mean with force field there lol, the only force field I'm familiar with is from sci-fi stories lol

3. one game is a sci-fi based and the other is realistic/historical based, pretty hard to avoid the hardwired preferences to 'realism'... but I'm not that convinced with ryse's environment though, I'd still prefer the division's portrayal of new york was better, even if that was possibly bull-vid from ubisoft and may get downgraded on the final game lol

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Im not gettin into juvenile name calling at all but i will say that to anyone with even the slightest amount of common sense in their head KZ is graphically superior, you'd have to be blind or completely brainwashed to suggest anythin else.

xsrr11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 xsrr11
Member since 2013 • 32 Posts

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@l34052 said:

Im not gettin into juvenile name calling at all but i will say that to anyone with even the slightest amount of common sense in their head KZ is graphically superior, you'd have to be blind or completely brainwashed to suggest anythin else.

There seem to be this growing concensus that perhaps Ryse looks better when technically, the proof is in the pudding.

In terms of resolution, frame rate, level design and system tasking KZ blows Ryse out of the water its not even funny. That is not to say Ryse does not look great and Crytek should be commended for the job they have done with the Xbox hardware but to come in here, a place full of people with tacit knowledge of game GFX and claim Ryse looks better is just laughable

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killzowned24

@sts106mat said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

@l34052 said:

There seem to be this growing concensus that perhaps Ryse looks better when technically, the proof is in the pudding.

In terms of resolution, frame rate, level design and system tasking KZ blows Ryse out of the water its not even funny. That is not to say Ryse does not look great and Crytek should be commended for the job they have done with the Xbox hardware but to come in here, a place full of people with tacit knowledge of game GFX and claim Ryse looks better is just laughable

looks better =/= perform better technically. so the comment that DF said, might mean Ryse looks better. albeit killzone might be doing more on screen.

The author of the DF article already commented at gaf that Killzone looks better than Ryse. He most likely meant just on xbone.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Cherry-picked screen shots...

I won't even post the good Ryse shots, we've all seen them before...

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

More like "The Official gpuking insecurity thread".

So insecure.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Ryse is easily one of the best looking games i've ever seen. KZ looks awesome too. But in many screenshots of KZ, the textures look really glossy and/or non existent. Whereas in Ryse you can see all sorts of nicks in the cobblestone, foilage and water.

If going purely on how a game looks, Ryse wins imo

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gpuking

@xsrr11 said:

Jesus KZ has the best lighting ever.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@sts106mat said:

oh really? can you prove categorically that he is the user at gaf? you also cannot prove he meant "most likely on xbone" otherwise, why not just say that ryse towers above the other xbone games? and why use "if you want a taste of what we can expect from next gen" rather than "want a taste of what XBOne can do in the future"

you are talking shit, cause killflop got bodyslammed, and multiple sources are saying graphically Ryse looks the best of the next gen games.

keep crying.

"That said, if you really want a taste of what we can expect from the next generation of consoles, Ryse towers over the rest." - DF

And this is where your argument falls apart,GAF is not gamespot,there you claim to be some one and you have to prove it to the forum admit,if you fail you are ban on the spot period,and getting into GA is not like in here,you can't joint GAF with Gmails, yahoo mails or hotmails.

So yeah if the dude claimed to be the article maker,he is confirmed by admit to be so,on neogaf even Major Nelson was confirmed that way,if he failed to prove who he was he would have been per ban on the spot.

Nice try.

No matter what Ryse flop even worse..haha and has to be downgraded to 900p and from 150k polygon models to 85 K polygon models,and even still can't freaking run at 30 frames per second..lol

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 killzowned24

@Spartan070 said:

Cherry-picked screen shots...

I won't even post the good Ryse shots, we've all seen them before...

please post!!! i'm guessing you mean the pre-rendered face shots which have been proven to look worse than killzone in-game.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Both look great, but i prefer Shadow Fall visual direction. Also 1080p30+fps all the way for me.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gpuking

@YD_11 said:

Ryse is easily one of the best looking games i've ever seen. KZ looks awesome too. But in many screenshots of KZ, the textures look really glossy and/or non existent. Whereas in Ryse you can see all sorts of nicks in the cobblestone, foilage and water.

Not sure if serious, are you opening the pics in full res? My functional eyes tell me KZ has every type of intricate details in the textures.

If anything being 1080p makes the textures so much sharper than the 900p with blurry aa filter that's in Ryse.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By killzowned24

@gpuking said:

@YD_11 said:

Not sure if serious, are you opening the pics in full res? My functional eyes tell me KZ has every type of intricate details in the textures.

If anything being 1080p makes the textures so much sharper than the 900p with blurry aa filter that's in Ryse.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gpuking

Yeah Killzone is a POM fest and it's at least equal if not superior than the pixel accurate displacement map in Ryse. super impressive.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@SinjinSmythe said:

Ryse. Topic over

+1. Cows so butthurt over Ryse's visuals. You'd think the fact that it flopped so hard on GS would soothe the butthurt, but I guess not.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

It's so nice to have crisp textures and 1080 on PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Ryse looks great. Why are people saying otherwise? The bummer are the framedrops--all the way to the teens according to DF. Also, did I read correctly that Ryse uses prerenders for cutscenes? Killzone does look better, though.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Here's a topic that didn't need to happen. Gameplay>Graphics. In that respect KZ is the clear winner and thats what we should care about.

Not tech demos.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Killzone is 1080p. The Flop of Rome isn't.

End of discussion.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I'll never understand these cows who defend X1 has bad graphics lol

Considering PS4 hardware is slightly better than X1's, can't they get that X1 having bad graphics would be bad news for PS4 as well?

murray69murray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 murray69murray
Member since 2013 • 127 Posts

The compression, oh the awful compression. My eyes are burning.

Can't you just link the original screenshot just below the posted one here? I don't even know why they even have this shitty image inserting system.

On Topic:

KZSF is the clear winner, of course, it's being ran on a more powerful hardware. But, had I not seen this thread, I would have not known how better Ryse looks than I thought it looked.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Killzone: Shadow Fall overall looks better but Ryse: Son Of Rome has better character models, though at times it can look ugly. The real fact is; both games are generic and mediocre.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

@happyduds77 said:

The real fact is; both games are generic and mediocre.

this, and ryse's lighting is off, crytek never got it right when it come to correct outdoor lighting and color, unfortunately this time they have no modders to save them.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

Sorry, but as bland and crappy as Ryse's gameplay looks, the art style, characters and graphics continue to impress me. I had lots of fun making the hype thread.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

doesn't matter really , both games blow imo

killzone wins graphically though. anyone who says different is partially blind.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

KZ looks better. But if anyone says Ryse isn't impressive, you're an idiot.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

I think they're on equal footing for what each brings to the table. And those are good but not the best pictures from Ryse. There are scenes outdoors on a huge wooden bridge with birds flying buy and enemy flags flailing in the wind that are spectacular. The entire level that take place at night hunting for the emperors son is amazing as well. The seige where you have to protect the docks.... absolutely spectacular.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Lol. DF foundry themselves. Killzone > Ryse

lems am cry

shurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shurns
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts

KZ looks better graphically and more technically impressive.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

KZ screens look better in the screenshot wars. But you are comparing random Ryse screens to KZ screens meant to highlight the graphics in better looking portions of the game... so the deck is stacked against Ryse from the get go.

Hermits have used that tactic for a while now to exaggerate the graphics on PC.

Simply put, selectively choosing screenshots can easily make a game look better/worse than it actually is.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

KZSF destroys Ryse: Flop of Rome. My own gameplay screenshots from SHARE button, heavily compressed but still blows Ryse out of the water...

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I would say Killzone, but I would like to see both in motion to judge, too bad both games look terrible so I will never see them. Oh well at least in a year or 2 they will be surpassed with games that look better and play much, much better.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Why is this thread still being commented on, when the TC was owned so hard by his own link?

"That said, if you really want a taste of what we can expect from the next

generation of consoles, Ryse towers over the rest." - DF

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#48 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Killzone of course wins, but Ryse does look amazing. Both games look better than anything on PC.

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

It is really stupid to compare these two vastly different titles. An FPS plays very differently from a linear paced action game.

danlevm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By danlevm
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

ryse looks good, killzone looks good..... I myself prefer the style of ryse.... if it had better reviews i would have gotten the xbox one this week