The Official Chaos Rings Hype Thread: Ipod RPG from the developers of Wild Arms!

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ghost392
Member since 2008 • 1011 Posts

Chaos Rings Hype Thread

Official Site

Details:

"You play as a pair, consisting of a male and female character, and travel to dungeons as you attempt to work through the game's story line. The game promises four scenarios detailing the exploits of four pairs."

"Today's formal announcement came with staff details. Chaos Rings is being produced by Crystal Defenders producer Takehiro Ando. As detailed yesterday, Final Fantasy VII character designer Yusuke Naora is doing character design work on the game. The scenario writer is Yukinori Kitajima, known for his work on Chun Soft digital novels. The game's sound is being handled by composer Noriyasu Agematsu."

More Details:

"From Square Enix and the developers Wild Arms comes Chaos Rings, an iPhone game that looks like it could be the first great 3D Japanese RPG on the platform, with production values on par with PlayStation-era Final Fantasy titles."

"The story, which was detailed in this week's issue of Japanese gaming mag Famitsu and gleaned by Andriasang, revolves around a tournament called the Arka Arena, where five teams for two fighters each are brought to and forced to fight to the death. The player chooses a team and sets out to battle monsters and work their way through a story crafted by novelist and game scenario writer Yukinori Kitajima, chief writer for Sega's Japanese Wii exclusive, 428."

^Designer Yukinori Kitajima was in charge of the critically acclaimed 428 for the Wii which received the rare 40/40 on Famitsu.

More Screenshots

Title Screen leak:

*Reviews*

4/4 "Chaos Rings is a 3D RPG masterpiece that fully demonstrates Square Enix is still at the top of their game." - Slide2Play.com (GS partner)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I have an Iphonie buddy that I will tell about this game.

My buddie is a hardcore Apple fanboy (Iphonie), but he isn't really a PC/console gamer so much, but he would buy this, I'm sure. If anything, just to have it, and show people at work.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
i was impressed by this some time ago when i watched the trailer. then again, i want 428 localized first
WINDWAKER1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 WINDWAKER1
Member since 2003 • 3397 Posts

7.0 tops. although it won't get reviewed anyways

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Itll get AAA. Of course... its an Iphone game.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ghost392
When is this getting stickied and Im hoping AAAAE because Chrono Cross got it
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

7.0 tops. although it won't get reviewed anyways

WINDWAKER1

All iphone games have gotten AA-AAA scores thus far (i'm not kidding)

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
is there any worthwhile competition for the game? if not AAA or AAAA
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#11 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'm not at all hyped for this game but I'm sure it'll get a good score iPod standards.

I still think you're Over Hyping this game.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Why put this on Ipod? Put it on a console or DS or somethin.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
and lol for the "rare" 40/40 at famitsu
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

I'm like the art style but I don't know enough about the game. But since a lot of the Wild Arm team is working in it I say A and maybe AA.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Looks terrible IMO
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ghost392

Looks terrible IMOtomarlyn

Well thankfully the quality of games arent based on your opinion

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

I couldn't say what this game will get, but it does look like something worth keeping an eye on.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
When did System Wars start making hype threads for games a grand total of one person is hyping? Let alone stickying aforementioned threads.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shirokishi_

Why does this guy keep bumping the thread?

Clearly no one is excited about the game, atleast not yet.

Let it die.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ghost392

Let it die.

Shirokishi_
I am excited and type it in youtube and like hundreds of other gamers are excited
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Why sticky it for the whole one person on these boards pumped for it...also Ipod game reviews...lulz.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shirokishi_

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Let it die.

ghost392

I am excited and type it in youtube and like hundreds of other gamers are excited

This isnt Youtube, this is Gamespot: System Wars.

Here in SW you're the only one excited for this game.

Let it die...

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"][QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Let it die.

Shirokishi_

Let it die...

No go read the topic and the other one others are excited as well... It doesnt have Halo type hype but it is looked forward to
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

[QUOTE="ghost392"] I am excited and type it in youtube and like hundreds of other gamers are excitedghost392

Let it die...

No go read the topic and the other one others are excited as well... It doesnt have Halo type hype but it is looked forward to

it doesn't matter, people here on system wars don't care about this game therefore they're not responding to the thread because, which means this thread should die
rickatick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 rickatick
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts
looks awful tbh....
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"][QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

Let it die...

ohthemanatee

it doesn't matter, people here on system wars don't care about this game therefore they're not responding to the thread because, which means this thread should die

Well its a killer App for Iphone and the mods say I can bump topics as long as they arent a week old

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ghost392

Noone is hyping it????

Plenty of people in that topic and on other sites it is hyped

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shirokishi_

Noone is hyping it????

ghost392

Yet tis is a hype thread and theres no hype :lol:

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

Noone is hyping it????

Shirokishi_

People arent giving it a chance and people might hide their hype because people trash the game. Plus when there is new info more hype will come

I just have to keep this thread up becasue I cant bump after 7 days and Im hyping this AAAE-AAAAE

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

Noone is hyping it????

ghost392

People arent giving it a chance and people might hide their hype because people trash the game. Plus when there is new info more hype will come

I just have to keep this thread up becasue I cant bump after 7 days and Im hyping this AAAE-AAAAE

Or maybe, just maybe, genuinely nobody cares about a music player/cell phone game. But that would be CRAZY.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Ghost, instead of continuously bumping this thread, why not simply put a link to it in your signature?

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Pretty pumped for this. I'm really happy with what Square has been doing with the iPhone. Crystal Defenders, Vanguard Storm, Hills and Rivers Remain, FF I&II and now this. Thanks for letting more people know about this one, I think it will be a gem.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ghost392

Ghost, instead of continuously bumping this thread, why not simply put a link to it in your signature?

ThePlothole

Done I linked it in my sig thanks for idea

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ghost392
Wow you ask me about snow particles when you posted the pics with them... Chaos Rings has nice smoke effect in lava too soo it wins in particles. Its CC fault it uses bad 3D backgrounds as opposed to good 2D ones... Also the 2D is a design choice because they want to make it like FF7,8,9, Xnogears, etc. The backgrounds look very nice In Chaos rings like a painting.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Skittles_McGee
[QUOTE="ghost392"]Wow you ask me about snow particles when you posted the pics with them... Chaos Rings has nice smoke effect in lava too soo it wins in particles. Its CC fault it uses bad 3D backgrounds as opposed to good 2D ones... Also the 2D is a design choice because they want to make it like FF7,8,9, Xnogears, etc. The backgrounds look very nice In Chaos rings like a painting.

Isn't it bad if your game isn't even fully using 3D and what 3D it has looks worse than a game that is full 3D? Also I believe those "snow particles" in question are a screen filter, judging by their appearance. Basically snow rains on the "screen" to simulate the same effect. But since it's not in 3D, they probably don't exist as particles. Just an effect. Which isn't impressive at all.
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
[QUOTE="ghost392"]Wow you ask me about snow particles when you posted the pics with them... Chaos Rings has nice smoke effect in lava too soo it wins in particles. Its CC fault it uses bad 3D backgrounds as opposed to good 2D ones... Also the 2D is a design choice because they want to make it like FF7,8,9, Xnogears, etc. The backgrounds look very nice In Chaos rings like a painting.

Wow it wins in particles? Must be the better game.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]Wow you ask me about snow particles when you posted the pics with them... Chaos Rings has nice smoke effect in lava too soo it wins in particles. Its CC fault it uses bad 3D backgrounds as opposed to good 2D ones... Also the 2D is a design choice because they want to make it like FF7,8,9, Xnogears, etc. The backgrounds look very nice In Chaos rings like a painting.Skittles_McGee
Isn't it bad if your game isn't even fully using 3D and what 3D it has looks worse than a game that is full 3D? Also I believe those "snow particles" in question are a screen filter, judging by their appearance. Basically snow rains on the "screen" to simulate the same effect. But since it's not in 3D, they probably don't exist as particles. Just an effect. Which isn't impressive at all.

How are you going to argue CC looks better with the screens right there?

Chaos rings may not have 3D backgrounds but it is full 3D as your character moves around go watch the trailer... FF7 is full 3D FF8 is full 3D

Just because a game renders a very nice looking 2D backgorund over a 3D plane does not make it less 3D

Also because the prerendered backgrounds it will age better and look smoother so it looks better but whether it technically is can be debated.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="ghost392"]Wow you ask me about snow particles when you posted the pics with them... Chaos Rings has nice smoke effect in lava too soo it wins in particles. Its CC fault it uses bad 3D backgrounds as opposed to good 2D ones... Also the 2D is a design choice because they want to make it like FF7,8,9, Xnogears, etc. The backgrounds look very nice In Chaos rings like a painting.ghost392

How are you going to argue CC looks better with the screens right there?

Chaos rings may not have 3D backgrounds but it is full 3D as your character moves around go watch the trailer... FF7 is full 3D FF8 is full 3D

Just because a game renders a very nice looking 2D backgorund over a 3D plane does not make it less 3D

Also because the prerendered backgrounds it will age better and look smoother so it looks better but whether it technically is can be debated.

You're avoiding the point, I see. A 2D background is far easier to create than a 3D background, making it less demanding on the hardware. Knowing this, what 3D graphic design is used in Chaos Rings should be, theoretically, at a higher level than most comparable 3D. Except its not. You bring up the screens as evidence? Take another look at them. It's already been shown the 3D graphics in Crisis Core looks superior to that seen in Chaos Rings. Knowing that Chaos Rings does not use full 3D and should thus be less demanding on its hardware, this makes it disappointing in comparison So not only does it look worse, it has the potential to look better (if the hardware can truly do so) and FAILS to look better. What's so impressive about it now?
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]Wow you ask me about snow particles when you posted the pics with them... Chaos Rings has nice smoke effect in lava too soo it wins in particles. Its CC fault it uses bad 3D backgrounds as opposed to good 2D ones... Also the 2D is a design choice because they want to make it like FF7,8,9, Xnogears, etc. The backgrounds look very nice In Chaos rings like a painting.Desmonic
Again, what snow particles? The ones in the Chaos RIngs pic? What about them? Do you think having snow particles but not even being able to do 3D backgrounds is a good thing? So because Caos Rings has a little fog above the (which is likely a part of the actual background) lava it wins in particles!? LAWL! XD Also, going with your logic 2D backgrounds >>>> 3D backgrounds/enviornments.. So FF 13, in your opinion would have been better with 2D backgrounds...heck, it wouldn't even need to be a next gen game! It could all still be done on the PS2, GameCube and Xbox! Either way, Crisis Core is far more impressive for a handheld RPG and as I said will most likely end up as the better game.

I told you it was a design choice because other Ipod Touch games do 3D and the particles are amazing compared to CC and Good 2d > jaggiefest 3D backgrounds

FF13 has good 3D backgrounds but games like FFX would look better with prerendered imo

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"] Again, what snow particles? The ones in the Chaos RIngs pic? What about them? Do you think having snow particles but not even being able to do 3D backgrounds is a good thing? So because Caos Rings has a little fog above the (which is likely a part of the actual background) lava it wins in particles!? LAWL! XD Also, going with your logic 2D backgrounds >>>> 3D backgrounds/enviornments.. So FF 13, in your opinion would have been better with 2D backgrounds...heck, it wouldn't even need to be a next gen game! It could all still be done on the PS2, GameCube and Xbox! Either way, Crisis Core is far more impressive for a handheld RPG and as I said will most likely end up as the better game. Desmonic

I told you it was a design choice because other Ipod Touch games do 3D and the particles are amazing compared to CC and Good 2d > jaggiefest 3D backgrounds

FF13 has good 3D backgrounds but games like FFX would look better with prerendered imo

Sorry, my bad when writting the name of the game. But anyway.again proof? Proof tha iPod Touch games do 3D and particles better than Crisis Core. And I'd rather have a fully 3D explorable, interactive background than a "pretty" static 2D background. As I said, it's more impressive and it's far more enjoyable to play. But if you think a game with 2D backgrounds and 3D characters that still look far worse than those found on Crisis Core, is going to be the pinnacle of RPG's on handhelds well you are gravely mistaken buddy. Also basing myself from the trailer the battle system doesn't seem to be all that great either....

By that logic any game using prerendered sucks??? FFIX Xenogears etc. all SUCK?

Seriously its called art dirrection they are making it look unique with painting esq in CC it was the same universe as FF7 so Chaos Rings is a un ique game and this is a HYPE thread not a HATE thread

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

[QUOTE="Desmonic"][QUOTE="ghost392"]

ghost392

Sorry, my bad when writting the name of the game. But anyway.again proof? Proof tha iPod Touch games do 3D and particles better than Crisis Core. And I'd rather have a fully 3D explorable, interactive background than a "pretty" static 2D background. As I said, it's more impressive and it's far more enjoyable to play. But if you think a game with 2D backgrounds and 3D characters that still look far worse than those found on Crisis Core, is going to be the pinnacle of RPG's on handhelds well you are gravely mistaken buddy. Also basing myself from the trailer the battle system doesn't seem to be all that great either....

Seriously its called art dirrection they are making it look unique with painting esq in CC it was the same universe as FF7 so Chaos Rings is a un ique game and this is a HYPE thread not a HATE thread

They're making it unique by copying another game?
Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

[QUOTE="Desmonic"][QUOTE="ghost392"]

ghost392

Ummmm excuse me, I may be wrong about this, but weren't you the one complaining about SMT: Strange Journey not have animations in battle.....

...seems hypocritical to use this "design choice" arguement if it was you who said that.

Also CC does look better and is more demanding.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"] Sorry, my bad when writting the name of the game. But anyway.again proof? Proof tha iPod Touch games do 3D and particles better than Crisis Core. And I'd rather have a fully 3D explorable, interactive background than a "pretty" static 2D background. As I said, it's more impressive and it's far more enjoyable to play. But if you think a game with 2D backgrounds and 3D characters that still look far worse than those found on Crisis Core, is going to be the pinnacle of RPG's on handhelds well you are gravely mistaken buddy. Also basing myself from the trailer the battle system doesn't seem to be all that great either....Hakkai007

Ummmm excuse me, I may be wrong about this, but weren't you the one complaining about SMT: Strange Journey not have animations in battle.....

...seems hypocritical to use this "design choice" arguement if it was you who said that.

Also CC does look better and is more demanding.

Well if making characters static and combat static is a design choice it was a very terrible one imo.