Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@FastRobby said:

Indeed Amazon is just one retailer, but based on the amount of sales it represents the population. Unless you think that people buying in Target, Gamestop or wherever is different from people buying online, even though Amazon has been growing on a yearly basis expanding their clientele. Btw on Amazon they are both $70.

I get why they decided to included the joycons instead of the pro in their bundles, obviously for their biggest selling point -> portable gaming. I just get what Pedro is saying that for console-usage the joycons really aren't the way to go, and the "pro" controller is just standard, and really nothing new.

The point here is that the Joycon grip is in every way a 'standard' controller- there is literally no game that you can play on an Xbox or PlayStation that can't be played with the Joycon grip. it's a standard controller with an unusual shape and mdoularity thrown into the mix. But it is standard.

What it is not is familiar. I concede that point- and to cater to that familiarity, the Pro controller exists. But there is never any actual need to purchase a Switch Pro controller to be able to play and enjoy games on the Switch, unlike the case on the Wii (where a Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller was pretty much necessary for so many games), or even Wii U (where many games simply did not feasibly work on the Wii U Pad). The Joycon Grip is standard. It is not familiar. The argument can be made Nintendo is charging for a more 'familiar' controller, sure, but the argument can also be made that you are never required to actually purchase said familiar controller, since the Joycon grip more than suffices after an adjustment that is just a few minutes (maybe hours, for people who may not have played any Nintendo for years) long.

As for the cost on Amazon, you are not accounting for the actual Joycon grip, which adds another $30 to the price, bringing the Joycon price to $100 versus $70 for the equivalent Pro.

I completely agree with everything you said, I get your point of view. I would just prefer the pro if I was sitting on my couch as the standard controller, but indeed every game can be played using joycons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#102 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@FastRobby said:
@charizard1605 said:
@FastRobby said:

Indeed Amazon is just one retailer, but based on the amount of sales it represents the population. Unless you think that people buying in Target, Gamestop or wherever is different from people buying online, even though Amazon has been growing on a yearly basis expanding their clientele. Btw on Amazon they are both $70.

I get why they decided to included the joycons instead of the pro in their bundles, obviously for their biggest selling point -> portable gaming. I just get what Pedro is saying that for console-usage the joycons really aren't the way to go, and the "pro" controller is just standard, and really nothing new.

The point here is that the Joycon grip is in every way a 'standard' controller- there is literally no game that you can play on an Xbox or PlayStation that can't be played with the Joycon grip. it's a standard controller with an unusual shape and mdoularity thrown into the mix. But it is standard.

What it is not is familiar. I concede that point- and to cater to that familiarity, the Pro controller exists. But there is never any actual need to purchase a Switch Pro controller to be able to play and enjoy games on the Switch, unlike the case on the Wii (where a Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller was pretty much necessary for so many games), or even Wii U (where many games simply did not feasibly work on the Wii U Pad). The Joycon Grip is standard. It is not familiar. The argument can be made Nintendo is charging for a more 'familiar' controller, sure, but the argument can also be made that you are never required to actually purchase said familiar controller, since the Joycon grip more than suffices after an adjustment that is just a few minutes (maybe hours, for people who may not have played any Nintendo for years) long.

As for the cost on Amazon, you are not accounting for the actual Joycon grip, which adds another $30 to the price, bringing the Joycon price to $100 versus $70 for the equivalent Pro.

I completely agree with everything you said, I get your point of view. I would just prefer the pro if I was sitting on my couch as the standard controller, but indeed every game can be played using joycons.

Personally, after getting the Pro controller, I agree with you too, haha. It's a well made controller, and I'd rather use it than the Joycon grip now unless I have to (this also will mean that I won't have to keep attaching and de-attaching my Joycons to my Switch any more for portable and docked play, because I switch between the two modes a lot).

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#103  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

It feels good and has amazing battery life, but the lack of analog triggers really holds it back. Way overpriced too.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#104 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

You are very literally making no sense, especially given your entirely inaccurate use of FACTUALLY, so I don't actually know what to say to this.

So the Pro for the Switch being more expensive than the standard controllers for the Xbox and PS4 makes no sense to you? $70 being greater than $60 doesn't make sense to you? And you are now reverting to the pretend game again as you are tying to imply that the Pro is not comparable to the Xbox and PS4. You are really sidetracking to save your points.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@BassMan said:

It feels good and has amazing battery life, but the lack of analog triggers really holds it back.

Yup, this is my one complaint with it (and it's baffling, too)- why, Nintendo, why?

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@FastRobby: all I can say is wtf europe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Pedro said:
@charizard1605 said:

You are very literally making no sense, especially given your entirely inaccurate use of FACTUALLY, so I don't actually know what to say to this.

So the Pro for the Switch being more expensive than the standard controllers for the Xbox and PS4 makes no sense to you? $70 being greater than $60 doesn't make sense to you? And you are now reverting to the pretend game again as you are tying to imply that the Pro is not comparable to the Xbox and PS4. You are really sidetracking to save your points.

Were you actually going somewhere with all this? Because none of what you are saying has anything to do with anything, it just seems like you're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks and/or to deflect attention from the fact that everyone in this thread has caught on to you not having any meaningful argument.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Pedro

@charizard1605 said:
@Pedro said:
@charizard1605 said:

Were you actually going somewhere with all this? Because none of what you are saying has anything to do with anything, it just seems like you're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks and/or to deflect attention from the fact that everyone in this thread has caught on to you not having any meaningful argument.

If you took the time to see the context to which I was responding to, the point would have been clear but you are too busy trying to defend that you are now incapable of seeing logic when its laid before you. Everything that was said by me was reiterated by you in the end so I accept the concession to the point that was made initially. Unless you think that your response FastRobby was "not having any meaningful argument". :)

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#109 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@spitfire-six said:

Can someone help me understand in simple terms. If the switch joy con do everything the Pro Controller what is the point of the pro controller?

Second question, If the switch comes with "2 player" out of the box then how can you play games that need all the features of the controller ?

• If you need a more familiar shape, I guess? It's also cheaper to buy than a complete Joycon set for a second controller
  • Each Joycon is individually independent

You didnt answer the last question, can you program the pro controller? Does it have paddles? Does it have the rubberized skin? These are honest questions BTW cause i dont know.

Second so you can use the joycons for 2 player games, does that mean there wont be a game that 2 pro controllers for local co-op/MP ?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Pedro

@spitfire-six said:

You didnt answer the last question, can you program the pro controller? Does it have paddles? Does it have the rubberized skin? These are honest questions BTW cause i dont know.

Second so you can use the joycons for 2 player games, does that mean there wont be a game that 2 pro controllers for local co-op/MP ?

You cannot program the Pro Controller nor do you have the options that are available with the Elite, thus the reason the comparison is asinine and he knows this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@spitfire-six: Oh, that was probably edited in later lol. Uh, no, you can't program the Pro controller at all. The Elite (and Steam, i believe?) reigns supreme on that front :)

And I'm not sure what your second question is. But to be very clear, they are interchangeable. You can play 2 players local with either 2 joycons, 2 Pro controllers, or one joycon and one Pro controller, and nothing is stopping you (except for Bluetooth bandwidth eventually, I guess).

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

So let me get this straight.

Does not require dicking around with AA batteries. Yet has slightly longer battery life than the default xbox controller.

So essentially.... it's a dual shock 4, but with acceptable battery life? And $10 more than a dual shock suddenly isn't acceptable?

You'd better believe I would have gladly paid an extra $10 for a DS4 with better battery life, or for an Xbox one controller that gets rid of AAs, but keeps the same battery life.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Spitfire-Six

@charizard1605 said:

@spitfire-six: Oh, that was probably edited in later lol. Uh, no, you can't program the Pro controller at all. The Elite (and Steam, i believe?) reigns supreme on that front :)

And I'm not sure what your second question is. But to be very clear, they are interchangeable. You can play 2 players local with either 2 joycons, 2 Pro controllers, or one joycon and one Pro controller, and nothing is stopping you (except for Bluetooth bandwidth eventually, I guess).

I think the confusion for me comes in does 1 joycon = 1 pro controller?

The root of the questioning stems from when i bought smash 64 on wii u and you needed a very specific controller to play it one that I could not find anywhere. So my worry is, does it take 2 joycons to = 1 pro controller. If this is false that means 1 joycon = 1 pro controller and has all the same buttons as the pro controller. So if a game releases on the switch that requires all the buttons on the pro controller and offers local coop i can still play that games in coop mode with two joy cons.

its confusing I know but it was confusing keep of track of all the controllers you needed for the wii u.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Pedro

@appariti0n said:

Does not require dicking around with AA batteries. Yet has slightly longer battery life than the default xbox controller.

So essentially.... it's a dual shock 4, but with acceptable battery life? And $10 more than a dual shock suddenly isn't acceptable?

You'd better believe I would have gladly paid an extra $10 for a DS4 with better battery life, or for an Xbox one controller that gets rid of AAs, but keeps the same battery life.

Its called a battery pack. Rumor has it that it has been around for the past 4 years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@spitfire-six said:
@charizard1605 said:

I think the confusion for me comes in does 1 joycon = 1 pro controller?

The root of the questioning stems from when i bought smash 64 on wii u and you needed a very specific controller to play it one that I could not find anywhere. So my worry is, does it take 2 joycons to = 1 pro controller. If this is false that means 1 joycon = 1 pro controller and has all the same buttons as the pro controller. So if a game releases on the switch that requires all the buttons on the pro controller and offers local coop i can still play that games in coop mode with two joy cons.

its confusing I know but it was confusing keep of track of all the controllers you needed for the wii u.

Theoretically, yes. You can do that. I don't know why you would want to, especially for Smash Bros., but you can. One Joycon can be used as a fully independent controller for everything (albeit with only one analog stick). It has all the button inputs (one Joycon has an analog stick, four face buttons, and four shoulder buttons/triggers) to be used individually.

That said, for a game like Smash, I think it would be best to either use a Joycon Grip (i.e. two Joycons) or simply using a Pro.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 appariti0n

@Pedro said:
@appariti0n said:

Its called a battery pack. Rumor has it that it has been around for the past 4 years.

Really? And it's free? Not an additional purchase? Sweet, why hasn't anyone told me this!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Pedro

@appariti0n said:
@Pedro said:

Really? And it's free? Not an additional purchase? Sweet, why hasn't anyone told me this!

Who said anything about free?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Pedro

@metalslimenite said:

Sony and Microsoft standard controllers don't come with a card reader or HD rumble. Well worth the extra $10.

Gooosh, I guess gamers going to miss out on such great additions. :|

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@metalslimenite said:
@appariti0n said:
@Pedro said:
@appariti0n said:

$15 extra. chaching!

Ah, so the true price of the Xbox One controller is $75, which is actually more than the $70 for Pro.

Proving conclusively the Switch Pro controller is worth its price, unless Pedro wants to move the goalposts again and wrangle the Xbox One controller being worth the price but the Switch Pro not.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 appariti0n

@metalslimenite: Yes, and I'm sure the additional battery pack, which very likely costs more than $10 and is a crappy knockoff from China at that price point, TOTALLY lasts just as long as a good internal Li-on battery.

He really schooled us there.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Pedro

@charizard1605 said:

Ah, so the true price of the Xbox One controller is $75, which is actually more than the $70 for Pro.

Proving conclusively the Switch Pro controller is worth its price, unless Pedro wants to move the goalposts again and wrangle the Xbox One controller being worth the price but the Switch Pro not.

If you are buying an extra controller the Switch Pro would be the better priced controller. However, folks are buying the Pro because they don't have a traditional controller that comes bundled with the system. This appends an extra $70. An Xbox One buyer or owner would only need to spend an extra $15 because there is no need to purchase a more traditional (standard) controller.

BTW, point me to where the goalpost was moved. I look forward to your false claim. :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Pedro
@appariti0n said:

@metalslimenite: Yes, and I'm sure the additional battery pack, which very likely costs more than $10 and is a crappy knockoff from China at that price point, TOTALLY lasts just as long as a good internal Li-on battery.

He really schooled us there.

Rumor has it that all consoles are made in China.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Pedro said:
@charizard1605 said:

If you are buying an extra controller the Switch Pro would be the better priced controller. However, folks are buying the Pro because they don't have a traditional controller that comes bundled with the system. This appends an extra $70. An Xbox One buyer or owner would only need to spend an extra $15 because there is no need to purchase a more traditional (standard) controller.

You don't needto buy the Switch Pro either. You chooseto.

Keep on keeping on.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Pedro

@charizard1605 said:

Keep on keeping on.

Really. Did some argued that it was NOT OPTIONAL?

Keep on keeping on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Pedro said:
@charizard1605 said:

Keep on keeping on.

Keep on keeping on.

Then your entire argument, predicated on people needing to buy the controller because the out of the box experience is apparently not good enough, is moot. Good to see you accepted you were wrong :)

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Spitfire-Six

WTF is HD rumble? I thought you guys were joking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@spitfire-six said:

Do you have an iPhone 6s/iPhone 7?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Pedro

@charizard1605 said:

Then your entire argument, predicated on people needing to buy the controller because the out of the box experience is apparently not good enough, is moot. Good to see you accepted you were wrong :)

If you want a traditional controller you will need to buy the Pro. If you don't want a traditional controller you don't need anything. Was that concept beyond you and is the reason you were arguing for the sake of arguing but not understanding the context of the original discussion? Say it ain't so.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Pedro

@spitfire-six said:

Its more gimmick shit that adds no real value to the game except for loyalist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@Pedro said:
@charizard1605 said:

If you want a traditional controller you will need to buy the Pro. If you don't want a traditional controller you don't need anything. Was that concept beyond you and is the reason you were arguing for the sake of arguing but not understanding the context of the original discussion? Say it ain't so.

The irony in this post is fantastic.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Spitfire-Six

@charizard1605: yes.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#135 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@charizard1605: I miss my Wii U Pro D:

And $70 will never stop hurting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@spitfire-six said:

So it's like the Taptic Engine in those phones, just a more nuanced form of rumble feedback.

@Basinboy said:

Wii U controllers didn't use Bluetooth to connect to the console, right?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 appariti0n

@Pedro said:
@charizard1605 said:

Keep on keeping on.

Keep on keeping on.

For someone who games on a high end PC, I'm really surprised at the Dwayne Johnson level of eyebrow raising over a $10 price premium.

Guess you're ok with Razer stuff then?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Pedro

@appariti0n said:

For someone who games on a high end PC, I'm really surprised at the Dwayne Johnson level of eyebrow raising over a $10 price premium.

What..... are.... you.... talking.... about?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#140  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321: For the 10 bucks extra we have to remember it comes with a charging cable too... DS4 I know for certain does not!

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By appariti0n

@Pedro said:
@appariti0n said:

What..... are.... you.... talking.... about?

Oh, my bad. You don't game on PC?

Guess I confused you with someone else.

Razer is notorious for overpriced, but fancy "looking" peripherals. Just surprised I've never seen any Razer hate from you as well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Pedro

@metalslimenite said:

Again, you don't get to determine the value and worth of things for other people.

Did I set or determine the value for you?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#144 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

Since getting a Switch I've only bothered to play my Switch as a portable, but have recently given thought into buying one of these to play on my TV so I can keep the Joy-Cons charging with the docking unit, plus I imagine would be far more comfortable than using the Joy-Cons in the control setup with that Joy-Con control housing apparatus. Are these hard to find in stores?

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#145  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@spitfire-six said:

So it's like the Taptic Engine in those phones, just a more nuanced form of rumble feedback.

@Basinboy said:

Wii U controllers didn't use Bluetooth to connect to the console, right?

Don't think so, but still

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lamprey263 said:

Since getting a Switch I've only bothered to play my Switch as a portable, but have recently given thought into buying one of these to play on my TV so I can keep the Joy-Cons charging with the docking unit, plus I imagine would be far more comfortable than using the Joy-Cons in the control setup with that Joy-Con control housing apparatus. Are these hard to find in stores?

Somewhat difficult. They're frequently sold out but they're not as hard to find as some other Nintendo shit can be.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#147 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

I just got a switch today and I did pick up a pro controller. And I am very glad I did. It's a great controller, other than the price and dpad.

I love playing with the joycons attached, and to an extent when they are on the controller dock.

But separately the joy cons are awful. The plastic feels cheap, they are small, and using one joycon by itself is a pain.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#148  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Yup the Pro Controller is great. Joy what cons?...it is my default controller for Switchy. :P

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur said:

Topic title confused me at first. Thought this was going to talk about an upgraded Switch console...

And yes the Switch pro controller is really good.

Haha came in thinking the same thing.....

But yea the Pro controller is one of the best controllers in a while.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#150 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

The temptation to edit your topic title is high, Charizard.

But yeah, I really like the controller. Feels much better than many controllers I've had. I still prefer the more symmetric layout of the DS4, but the battery life on the DS4 is trash.