The next Half Life game will be revealed this week. It's happening.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

Half-Life: Alyx, a prequel to 2. The announcement will be accompanied by a Geoff Keighley interview. It's unknown if a trailer/gameplay will also drop, but it will be shown again at the Game Awards.

https://www.pcgamer.com/rumour-valve-are-about-to-announce-a-vr-game-called-half-life-alyx

Edit: EARLY OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/20971514/valve-announces-half-life-alyx-its-first-flagship-vr-game

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

I stop caring for Half-Life series right after episode 2 and anything coming from that series I won't care about. I was never interest another Half-Life game anyways. Valve is dead-weight you guys, stop living in the past.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

It's good that companies experiment with VR games. I'm not a fan of paying for experiments though.

If it's even true, it's probably not a serious Half-Life game anyway, and I don't own a VR headset and wont own one for a long ass time, if ever.

If anything, this would just serve as an extra annoyance to Valve lying about continuing the Half-Life episodes.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

Either make full fledge Half life 3 or donot care about some cheap VR indie game.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Either make full fledge Half life 3 or donot care about some cheap VR indie game.

Why the cheap and indie... if it's coming from Valve?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I guess we'll see soon. But I don't think anyone is hoping this will live up to the absolute greatness of Half Life 1&2 or even the episodes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

It seems Valve doesn't really give a shit about Adrian Shepard or even consider it canon. I'd honestly be more interested in seeing what happened to all the military goons pre-Halflife 2. They already have fan games out, but they are generally shit.

Still, it's Valve and Valve don't produce low grade crap.

No one gave a shit about some puzzle game, Portal? Groaned COOP in Portal 2 and whined like bitched at TF2 art direction.

So, all their bitches about a VR game doesn't hold much water.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Meh. VR = me not interested.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

Lol VR Half-Life.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarthBuzzard

@R4gn4r0k said:
@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I guess we'll see soon. But I don't think anyone is hoping this will live up to the absolute greatness of Half Life 1&2 or even the episodes.

Actually some playtesters say it's better than Half Life 1 or 2. I guess we'll see, but it has potential to be the best for sure.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

Half Life has been irrelevant for over a decade now. I don't think the general gaming populous care for or against its release.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

PC Gamer headline: "Rumour: Valve is about to announce a VR game"

And that's where I stopped caring.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

@dzimm said:

PC Gamer headline: "Rumour: Valve is about to announce a VR game"

And that's where I stopped caring.

This was floating around before PC Gamer. It's just the specifics of the Halflife game that were never revealed.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@darthbuzzard said:

Actually some playtesters say it's better than Half Life 1 or 2. I guess we'll see, but it has potential to be the best for sure.

That's good to hear. and honestly Valve hasn't made a bad game yet, no matter the genre (FP puzzle, FPS singleplayer, FPS coop multiplayer, FPS competitive, DOTA, ...)

But see, if this is VR only, I doubt I'll ever play it. I'm not the Valve fanboy I used to be.

Blair5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blair5
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

I am sooo excited

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@Pedro said:

Half Life has been irrelevant for over a decade now. I don't think the general gaming populous care for or against its release.

if Half life 3 announced today. internet will explode. come on.

see shenmue 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Artifact?

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts
@davillain- said:

I stop caring for Half-Life series right after episode 2 and anything coming from that series I won't care about. I was never interest another Half-Life game anyways. Valve is dead-weight you guys, stop living in the past.

You are moderator. You should not be talking like this!

@darthbuzzard said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:

That's very interesting. Do you happen to have a link to where the playtesters said this? I'd like to read more of these impressions.

Everything seems to be going along as planned though. One of the Valve developers gave a talk at Digipen in September and talked about Valve's "VR flagship title" but said he couldn't reveal the title. Fairly certain he was talking about this Half Life: Alyx game.

Loading Video...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

VR... meh.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DarthBuzzard

@whatafailure said:
@davillain- said:

You are moderator. You should not be talking like this!

@darthbuzzard said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:

That's very interesting. Do you happen to have a link to where the playtesters said this? I'd like to read more of these impressions.

Everything seems to be going along as planned though. One of the Valve developers gave a talk at Digipen in September and talked about Valve's "VR flagship title" but said he couldn't reveal the title. Fairly certain he was talking about this Half Life: Alyx game.

Loading Video...

It's from one of ValveNewsNetwork's Twitch streams. It'd be impossible for me to figure out which one and at which point, but a gameplay reveal should start to reveal the true nature of the title pretty quickly.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts
@darthbuzzard said:

It's from one of ValveNewsNetwork's Twitch streams. It'd be impossible for me to figure out which one and at which point, but a gameplay reveal should start to reveal the true nature of the title pretty quickly.

That's fine, don't worry about it. I just thought they mentioned this in a forum thread or something.

And yeah, I can see this Half-Life: Alyx game wowing these people. It will likely have the same, good old Half Life gameplay and universe we all love, but with lots of clever (and game-changing?) VR interaction that was never possible in flat gaming. Even the Boneworks VR trailers give a glimpse of the numerous things VR can do that no traditional controller or mouse/keyboard can, and that was from a rather small development team. One can only imagine where Valve takes things. I'm very excited to see this.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

TC, if that didn't happen then:

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#24  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

I am torn on this one if it is true. I would like to see some killer VR games, but I would rather have a traditional Half-Life game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

@whatafailure: Even us Moderators gotta have opinions too ya'know ;)

We're still GS users after all and when duty calls, we put on our capes and punish the fools.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Sweet, I am excited for this. Valve has been a major force in VR tech and I trust them to do any game in that realm justice.

The fact that it's Half-Life related is just icing on the cake.

My only fear as that it will be for their VR kit, not Oculus (which I own). Valve is pretty chill about stuff like that, I don't imagine they'd play the whole "Exclusivity" card like everyone else does. But they might, you never know.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#27 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Loading Video...

Now is as good a time as any to repost the ol' girl!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup

Be interesting to see much the character design has been touched up, if at all, for consistency. Obviously the facial animation will have made a leap.

I'm guessing the face structure will generally be the exact same but take on more realistic texture work. Who knows really.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarthBuzzard

@pc_rocks said:

Told you so! https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/20971514/valve-announces-half-life-alyx-its-first-flagship-vr-game

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BassMan

So, now that the game is official.... Gravity Gun VR peripheral with haptic feedback anyone? :)

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Yawn...VR you say, easy pass for most.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

@whatafailure said:

And yeah, I can see this Half-Life: Alyx game wowing these people. It will likely have the same, good old Half Life gameplay and universe we all love, but with lots of clever (and game-changing?) VR interaction that was never possible in flat gaming. Even the Boneworks VR trailers give a glimpse of the numerous things VR can do that no traditional controller or mouse/keyboard can, and that was from a rather small development team. One can only imagine where Valve takes things. I'm very excited to see this.

Finally, some sense in this thread.

I saw that Boneworks trailer and thought "Holy S**T!" Looks unbelievable.

I think people are so skeptical here because most VR games have been an afterthought or gimmicky. But that Boneworks trailer legitimately changes the game. Like gaming will never be the same.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Sweet, I am excited for this. Valve has been a major force in VR tech and I trust them to do any game in that realm justice.

My only fear as that it will be for their VR kit, not Oculus (which I own). Valve is pretty chill about stuff like that, I don't imagine they'd play the whole "Exclusivity" card like everyone else does. But they might, you never know.

I heard it's Steam VR exclusive, meaning that most headsets should still work. Oculus I heard was not Steam VR compatible, however. But there may be hacks around that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 uninspiredcup

@organic_machine said:
@whatafailure said:

Finally, some sense in this thread.

I saw that Boneworks trailer and thought "Holy S**T!" Looks unbelievable.

I think people are so skeptical here because most VR games have been an afterthought or gimmicky. But that Boneworks trailer legitimately changes the game. Like gaming will never be the same.

It's Valve, all their shit talking will turn to mush when reality says waves hello.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#35 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

definitely curious about this

might be the thing that causes me to pull the trigger on a VR setup. only time will tell

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BassMan

@organic_machine said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I heard it's Steam VR exclusive, meaning that most headsets should still work. Oculus I heard was not Steam VR compatible, however. But there may be hacks around that.

Oculus works perfectly fine with Steam VR. It is actually the most used VR headset with Steam users.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Thanks for the leak, it came true. ;)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 uninspiredcup
Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

unless they make a transformative VR experience then I think this squanders the value of the Half-Life IP which I feel they should've saved as an ace up their sleeve should they need it in a future war with Epic Store

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarthBuzzard

@lamprey263 said:

unless they make a transformative VR experience then I think this squanders the value of the Half-Life IP which I feel they should've saved as an ace up their sleeve should they need it in a future war with Epic Store

The above video should tell you how transformative it could be.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

The new "Half-Life" will flop hard if its VR, good way to kill the franchise.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@darthbuzzard said:
@pc_rocks said:

Told you so! https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/20971514/valve-announces-half-life-alyx-its-first-flagship-vr-game

My hero.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarthBuzzard

@pc_rocks said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@pc_rocks said:

My hero.

It's ValveNewsNetwork that did all the work. Well and I guess the guy who leaked before the official reveal.