The next best thing to a Bungie game.

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

More & more I get the feeling this game will be the Next Big Thing.

Maybe the most hard to put down, once you start playing game with the word Halo in it's title. :o

Are you excited to give this a try ?

Bungie "Encouraged", "Excited" By Halo Wars

Bungie seems excited about the Ensemble-developed Halo Wars. The game is planted firmly in the RTS genre, so, for example, it's not necessary to have players moved in and out of cover. Gushes Bungie AI maven Damian Isla:

We've done a lot of talking with Ensemble guys, and we're all really excited about Halo Wars, because from everything we've seen so far it's a very cool, faithful adaptation... Everything we've seen has been very, very encouraging - we're very excited about it. And of course, [Halo Warsis] also getting right the basics, the general roles - even fictionally. What role do grunts play in the Covenant fighting forces, what role do the Elites play, what role do Warthogs play, what role do Spartans play... All this kind of thing. I think they really nailed that. It's encouraging.

diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
I'm hoping that ensemble will be able to deliver an rts on consoles that acually works well. We will see what happens. I am defiantely interested in the game though.
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts

Im on the fence with Halo Wars TBO. I really hope it turns out good, there is just something a bit meh about it for me.

Hope my opinion can be changed though.

-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
uh oh, here come the PC fanboys...
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
Could be good, but Im still saying that 90% of the reason its even being looked at is because its Halo.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts

so... they are going to make their next halo game master chiefless with large open battlegrounds? sounds cool

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

No. It appears to be a standard CnC RTS template forced onto consoles with Halo Characters copy/pasted on top of them.

Edit: Additionally, I reckon the only reason it gains attention is because of three things: 1) It's Halo 2) It's exclusive 3) It proclaims itself as the saviour of console RTSs.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts
if it fails to deliver on console... i hope they can rework any issues to work excellent with k/m functionality. think its possible this may eventually release for windows? i think its almost a given...
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -DrRobotnik-

No. It appears to be a standard CnC RTS template forced onto consoles with Halo Characters copy/pasted on top of them.

Edit: Additionally, I reckon the only reason it gains attention is because of three things: 1) It's Halo 2) It's exclusive 3) It proclaims itself as the saviour of console RTSs.

thrones

Im pretty sure it gains so much hate because of three things: 1) It's Halo 2) It's 360 exclusive 3) It on a console.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thrones
[QUOTE="thrones"]

-DrRobotnik-

Im pretty sure it gains so much hate because of three things: 1) It's Halo 2) It's 360 exclusive 3) It on a console.

What's good about it, honestly? As I explained, nothing about it stands out. CnC3 and CnC3: KW both had great console control schemes, I honestly see very little that Halo Wars is doing differently to get over this barrier, except apparently simplifying the gameplay to a level Gamepad can handle with ease.

With CnC3: RA, End War and World in Conflict coming to Xbox 360 this year, in the RTS genre this would probably be irrelevant.

BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts

Hopefully it gets the console rts right... *crosses as many fingers as possible*

-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -DrRobotnik-
[QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"][QUOTE="thrones"]

thrones

What's good about it, honestly? As I explained, nothing about it stands out. CnC3 and CnC3: KW both had great console control schemes, I honestly see very little that Halo Wars is doing differently to get over this barrier, except apparently simplifying the gameplay to a level Gamepad can handle with ease.

With CnC3: RA, End War and World in Conflict coming to Xbox 360 this year, in the RTS genre this would probably be irrelevant.

Unfortunately i cant answer that because i havent played the finished game yet.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice

Edit: Additionally, I reckon the only reason it gains attention is because of three things: 1) It's Halo 2)It's exclusive 3)It proclaims itself as the saviour of console RTSs.

thrones

Im pretty sure it gains so much hate because of three things: 1) It's Halo 2)It's 360 exclusive 3) It on a console.

Who are you kidding, he pegged it and if this was a PS3 Exclusive called MGS Wars, you would be all over it. :P
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thrones

-DrRobotnik-
Wonderful argument. You can judge a game to an extent based on pre-released material, normally the pre-released material is meant to be the best stuff they have to give so as it stands I'm not hopeful.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
[QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"]

thrones

Wonderful argument. You can judge a game to an extent based on pre-released material, normally the pre-released material is meant to be the best stuff they have to give so as it stands I'm not hopeful.

i don't think the game will be revolutionary or anything but i like what i saw on the gamespot interview, the controll scheme seemed fun and easy to use and it has a lot of Ground control 2 gameplay in it, overall i'm expecting AA

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thrones

i don't think the game will be revolutionary or anything but i like what i saw on the gamespot interview, the controll scheme seemed fun and easy to use and it has a lot of Ground control 2 gameplay in it, overall i'm expecting AA

st1ka
I haven't said anything about it being bad. Just nothing great. And I mean that in Halo, Crysis styled great not the gamespot 8.0 styled great.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

thrones

I haven't said anything about it being bad. Just nothing great. And I mean that in Halo, Crysis styled great not the gamespot 8.0 styled great.

well on gamespot 8.0 is great,personally i think it will get AA

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#18 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts
It looks like I will have alot of fun playing it so I can't wait! :D I like Halo alot and the videos I've seen so far look fun.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
If they can implement the controls well I'm all for it. I have never really been a big fan of RTS's on a console, so we will see. I'm optimistic that it can be one of the first RTS's to be implemented well. Its just one of those things that we will have to wait and see.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
They aren't encouraged because of the actual RTS gameplay, but more or less what Ensemble is doing with the universe and how everything is true to form Halo.

Personally I am interested to see what Ensemble can do with the fiction....

But this game is a long way away.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Do want Halo Wars. Do not want to wait til 2009.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#22 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

But this game is a long way away.jg4xchamp

I thought it was coming out in October.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thrones

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]
But this game is a long way away.vashkey

No, sometime around 2009.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

09 its not going to make it an 08.

MIcrosoft pretty much laid down the 08 lineup at E3..
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 vashkey
[QUOTE="vashkey"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]
But this game is a long way away.thrones

Wow.... There went my excitement.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="vashkey"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

why? doesn't stop the cows hyping killzone 2. :?

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vashkey
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="vashkey"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]
But this game is a long way away.crunchUK

why? doesn't stop the cows hyping killzone 2. :?

For me it's a waste of energy to get excited about somthing that far away. I'll keep it bottled up for the time being.... Or I'll just sulk :(

Y 4 no Bungie gives me hug?

ps3weee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ps3weee
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts
I liked age of empires alot and iam excited for this game , halo wars another AAA title for 360 I hope
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice

I haven't seen anything official saying it's a "Long" ways off so yeah 2009 but could be early 2009.

Halo WarsTM

Genre:Strategy

Release Date:TBD

Developer: Ensemble Studios

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts
Meh.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thrones

I haven't seen anything official saying it's a "Long" ways off so yeah 2009 but could be early 2009.

Halo WarsTM

Genre:Strategy

Release Date:TBD

Developer: Ensemble Studios

SecretPolice
Well, the only thing they've confirmed is sometime before 2010 in that 1up interview. If it was soon, they'd have been more confident.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Bungies encouraging words cant magically make a Halo RTS a fantastic game.

They have said enough crap hyping their own games with 'encouraging words' to make me question their notorius self hype.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice

A bit old I guess but just read it for the first time myself so FYI for those who haven't seen this.

Halo Wars May Get Third Playable Race In The Flood

If you happened to miss our live coverage of the Halo universe panel at Comic-Conthis weekend, we're not offended. It was pretty missable for the casual Halofan. But if you're the least bit excited about the release of real-time strategy game Halo Wars, you'll be ecstatic to learn that maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to play as the Flood.

During the Q&A session, a good portion of the panel, a fan asked "Is there going to be a Flood appearance in the Halo Wars campaign?"

"That's a very good question," a panelist responded. "We haven't talked about any other races. All I can say is that it's a complete Halo game." It has already been announced that players will get their hands on a playable Covenant.

We're not going to assume that's code for "Yes, you'll be playing the Flood" - they may just make an appearance - but won't be surprised when their inclusion is announced.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 vashkey

They have said enough crap hyping their own games with 'encouraging words' to make me question their notorius self hype.

skrat_01

Yes, god forbid a developer say a game their making is good.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

vashkey

Bungie isn't making it....Ensemble is.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thrones

A bit old I guess but just read it for the first time myself so FYI for those who haven't seen this.

If you happened to miss our live coverage of the Halo universe panel at Comic-Conthis weekend, we're not offended. It was pretty missable for the casual Halofan. But if you're the least bit excited about the release of real-time strategy game Halo Wars, you'll be ecstatic to learn that maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to play as the Flood.

During the Q&A session, a good portion of the panel, a fan asked "Is there going to be a Flood appearance in the Halo Wars campaign?"

"That's a very good question," a panelist responded. "We haven't talked about any other races. All I can say is that it's a complete Halo game." It has already been announced that players will get their hands on a playable Covenant.

We're not going to assume that's code for "Yes, you'll be playing the Flood" - they may just make an appearance - but won't be surprised when their inclusion is announced.

SecretPolice
Doesn't the flood first make contact on Alpha Halo? Omgz, the stories are ruined. But seriously, it seems a bit of an odd decision if they include it in anything but Skirmish and multiplayer form.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 vashkey
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

jg4xchamp

Bungie isn't making it....Ensemble is.

Yes, but he was just complaining about how Bungie "hyped" their own games.

But for the record, Bungie employees did help Ensemble with Halo Wars.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

vashkey

I dislike it when devs lie about things that 'are in the game' but somehow are absent from the final release.... even though they were being bought to light less than a month before the game came out.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vashkey
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

thrones

Doesn't the flood first make contact on Alpha Halo? Omgz, the stories are ruined. But seriously, it seems a bit of an odd decision if they include it in anything but Skirmish and multiplayer form.

The Flood existed long, long, long before the event of Halo Combat Evolved.

But the events that take place in Halo Wars are not documented if I recall correctly, since most nobody survived. Part of the fleet may have gone to a forerunner stucture, or so I've heard.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vashkey
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

skrat_01

I dislike it when devs lie about things that 'are in the game' but somehow are absent from the final release.... even though they were being bought to light less than a month before the game came out.

When did Bungie lie about what would be in their Halo games?

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thrones
[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

vashkey

But the events that take place in Halo Wars are not documented if I recall correctly, since most nobody survived. Part of the fleet may have gone to a forerunner stucture, or so I've heard.

I said 'make contact' not exist. So.. spoilers: Everyone dies?
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vashkey
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

thrones

I said 'make contact' not exist. So.. spoilers: Everyone dies?

If the Flood are involved in the story line, probably. Just like Halo Combat Evolved.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

vashkey

random enemy locations in campaign(the AI moved around and made sure it wasn't scripted but it wasn't what was being hyped on Bungie.net)

BIG SCALE(halo 3s scale is big, where as a game being hyped for scale(resistance 2) is actually barely on par with Halo 3 in scale, but the scale was hyped much bigger than it actually was because....)

BIG OPEN FIELD BATTLES- They weren't there. Remember that Halo 3 commercial with the little action figures.....MC is surrounded by tons of covenant....where was that battle.

Huge vehicle showdowns that would take advantage of 4-Player COOP.....there were vehicle segments but nothing mind blowing.
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

thrones

Nice crystal ball there, see thing is, I've played EndWar. It sucks. It's a really bad, really dull game. I now know why voice control isn't in all games by now, it's just not fun.

CnC has been delayed till 2009 as far as i know and i know little about WIC. Point is there isn't many out on a console, this is getting hate cause it's halo and that reallly isn't fair. End of it really.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 vashkey
[QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

jg4xchamp

random enemy locations in campaign(the AI moved around and made sure it wasn't scripted but it wasn't what was being hyped on Bungie.net)

BIG SCALE(halo 3s scale is big, where as a game being hyped for scale(resistance 2) is actually barely on par with Halo 3 in scale, but the scale was hyped much bigger than it actually was because....)

BIG OPEN FIELD BATTLES- They weren't there. Remember that Halo 3 commercial with the little action figures.....MC is surrounded by tons of covenant....where was that battle.

Huge vehicle showdowns that would take advantage of 4-Player COOP.....there were vehicle segments but nothing mind blowing.

??? when exactly did Bungie say that the campaign would have random enemy locations? If anything some times enemies spawn in different places in campaign and the enemy amount and types are changed depending on difficulty.

There are large scale battles in Halo 3. Just because it's not what you thought it'd does not mean there are no large scale battles. Double scarab battle anyone?

And commercials are not promises. Halo 3 was not a game with a bunch of action firgures either. Microsoft was in charge of the advertising campaign thoughn not Bungie.

ANd there were vehicle segements where four players could take advantage of vehicles.

This is just you setting your expectation to high, notBungie being decieving(although Microsoft did put out a misleading commercial).

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

Yes, the gameplay videos look excellent.

It seeems to have retained all the depth of a PC RTS but, wait a sec, on a console :o

From what i hear them controls are really good and the framerate is steady even with loads going on onscreen, the graphics are good enough too. Now they just have to perfect the gameplay, add as many features as they can, and then take out the bugs. Then it's gold and ready to ship....

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thrones
[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="-DrRobotnik-"][QUOTE="thrones"]

CreepyBacon

Nice crystal ball there, see thing is, I've played EndWar. It sucks. It's a really bad, really dull game. I now know why voice control isn't in all games by now, it's just not fun.

CnC has been delayed till 2009 as far as i know and i know little about WIC. Point is there isn't many out on a console, this is getting hate cause it's halo and that reallly isn't fair. End of it really.

And because it looks rather generic as an RTS. Even if EndWar and CnC3:RA and WiC ends up bad, it doesn't change the fact that several console RTSs exist, play rather well despite the limitations of the gamepad and don't need some 'saviour'.

Case in point:

LOTR: BFME II PC - 8.3 http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/battleformiddleearth2/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

LOTR: BFME II X360 - 8.3 http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/battleformiddleearth2/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

with note on:

The Good
  • The single-player game lets you battle it out as good or evil in the world of Middle-earth
  • Rich multiplayer suite with five distinct modes geared for fast-paced and epic-paced games
  • Middle-earth comes alive thanks to beautiful graphics and top-notch audio
  • Controls are intuitive and easy to pick up.

Or even CnC3:

CnC3: TW X360 - 8.7 http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/commandconquer3/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

with note on the fact it had some framerate issues, leading to the lower score. Nothing on controls!

CnC3: TW PC - 9.0 http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/commandconquer3/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

CnC3: Kanes Wrath:

CnC3: KW PC - 7.5 http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/commandconquer3kaneswrath/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

CnC3: KW X360 - 7.5 http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/commandconquer3kaneswrath/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

With focus on:

• Some fun new units to play around with
  • New subfactions add variety
  • Smooth new control scheme.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

vashkey

Oooph lie is a bit of an exaggeration on my behalf, but things like the 'vast open environments' to traverse and explore, randomly generated enemy positions, so no level would be the same, gritty combat that showed the plight of the humans ect. It was all on the bungie blog, and its etched in my mind, because reading this stuff (which was frequently posted on GS) made me very hyped for the game.

Heck back with Halo CE bungie had said, while discussing the Xbox version of how it was just like their original - open world fps, guerrilla warfare - completely revolutionary - vision. The end result, while very good, was nothing like how they said it would be. I remember that very clearly too.

Heck I remember reading in an Xbox magazine Halo 2 would have destructible environments - bits could be destroyed - turned out only concrete barriers in-front of mounted turrets could be in multiplayer.

Im not 'hating' on bungie, im just honestly cynical because of the above, nor am i making any of this up. I still like them, and i still like their games. I just cant ignore stuff like that.

redstormrisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 redstormrisen
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts
[QUOTE="thrones"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

vashkey

Yes, the flood are Extragalactic, as in not form this galaxy. The Office of Navel Intelligence was also meant to have made contact with other HALO installations before the events of Combat Evolved.

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts

Im on the fence with Halo Wars TBO. I really hope it turns out good, there is just something a bit meh about it for me.

Hope my opinion can be changed though.

carlisledavid79

Same. I'm not a really big fan of RTS games, I did enjoy C&C3, but I don't know if this'll last with me. I'll give it a chance though.