The New "Auto-Aim" - Half Walls

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

10 years ago auto-aim was scoffed at, today 99% of games use auto-aim (on console at least).

The next step towards simplification and removal of challenge is 'half-walls'. ME2 was the first game I noticed that the challenge was pretty much gone, just duck behind wall, wait, back into the action.

Do people actually like this mechanic? The only "cool" thing I see about it is seeing your avatar looking like a BA, other than that it pretty much ruins games.

Think about it - with a half wall game the AI HAS TO stay back. No more FPS style where the enemies actually try to advance on you, and put pressure on you.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
The cover system is awesome. Good to see more and more games implementing it.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 haberman13

The cover system is awesome. Good to see more and more games implementing it.IronBass

So you like easy games? Or are you refuting that claim?

Seems like another "remove options from the player" console mechanic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
"chest high walls" is a better term, "Half walls" doesn't make sense.
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

Enemies don't have to stay back - it just happens that developers make them that way.

I don't see why a game can't have cover system and relatively fast enemies that advance on player, forcing them to move around the enviroment rather than sit behind the same wall. It happened sporadically in ME2 - definitely some of the funnier fights of the games

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 haberman13

I miss feeling like a ninja, even Halo did it well and that is a console game.

Half walls are all about making the game easier, and slowing it down. No more "jump, jump, aim down on head, stab guy next to him"

I understand that moving an cursor around is a pain on the consoles, but is the solution to just create tiny fields of necessary movement (for the cursor) ala half walls and corridors?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
You mean cover? I like it, half walls may be right though, I hate when it's just a random block in the middle of nowhere.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-63f6895020e66

So you like easy games? Or are you refuting that claim?

Seems like another "remove options from the player" console mechanic.

haberman13

I like good games. The cover system improves shooters a lot.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i love cover mechanic games.

sometimes it's done well sometimes it's not.

you take the good with the bad.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Enemies don't have to stay back...Even in ME2. Some of the enemies advance on you. I'm not seeing the problem.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

10 years ago auto-aim was scoffed at, today 99% of games use auto-aim (on console at least).

The next step towards simplification and removal of challenge is 'half-walls'. ME2 was the first game I noticed that the challenge was pretty much gone, just duck behind wall, wait, back into the action.

Do people actually like this mechanic? The only "cool" thing I see about it is seeing your avatar looking like a BA, other than that it pretty much ruins games.

Think about it - with a half wall game the AI HAS TO stay back. No more FPS style where the enemies actually try to advance on you, and put pressure on you.

AncientDozer

Understand two points. 1.) Not every person cares about "challenge". In fact, really only a minority has ever cared significantly about it. More people want the illusion of challenge without the actual labor so that they can feel rewarded and pat themselves on the back. The rest don't care and are either here for story or the word "fun". 2.) Taking cover is a smart thing to do. The reason we didn't see it all that much until recently was lack of innovation and technological limitations. Bonus point: Running at your enemy gun blazing, while neat, is hardly intelligent.

I would suggest a compromise, because I do agree that blazing guns is dopey.

Why can't we get a combo of a good cover system and dynamic combat? Crysis 2 did it well, yet the "blockbuster" console games are all ME2-ified. So the solution exists, it just seems that your first point is the real issue.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I like Red Orchestra 2's "half" walls. Take cover, can't see anything, and you can BLIND!! FIRE!!!! I haven't played a recent game with actual blind fire. =( I WANT MORE GAMES TO USE THIS!!!
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I don't see your point: there's nothing stopping devs from implementing more aggressive AI (ie using flanking, grenades etc. to keep the player from turtling) in games with chest-high walls. In fact even in ME2 (which isn't exactly a bastion of TPS/chest-high wall goodness) there were enemies capable of busting you out of cover (especially the goddamn Praetorians), and IIRC Killzone 2 and Gears both had pretty solid AI on the harder difficulties.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 haberman13

Enemies don't have to stay back...Even in ME2. Some of the enemies advance on you. I'm not seeing the problem. mrmusicman247

90% of ME2 is sitting behind a wall waiting. Yes, a few krogans advance on you, revealing just how terrible the shooting mechanics actually are.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

I hate this trend in games. Instead of being able to duck and lean around the environment at your discretion, they have automated it into a cover system; that you have to rigidly abide by.

So you get instances were you want to use something as cover, but the developers decided not to support it. And they have taken away your control of functions such a lean, so you cannot do anything about it.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]Enemies don't have to stay back...Even in ME2. Some of the enemies advance on you. I'm not seeing the problem. haberman13

90% of ME2 is sitting behind a wall waiting. Yes, a few krogans advance on you, revealing just how terrible the shooting mechanics actually are.

Oh now I see. This is a cleverly disguised bash ME2 thread. I'll be going now. Btw, krogan aren't the only enemies who advance.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
AI staying back has nothing to do with cover system. It has more to do with if the battleground is open enough for the enemies to outflank you.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
You mean cover? I like it, half walls may be right though, I hate when it's just a random block in the middle of nowhere.SaltyMeatballs
Crysis 2 is so full of them it's annoying. Crysis on the other hand is feels natural and it's awesome.
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Cover systems still feel a bit too artificial and "well placed" for my liking. It's a great system but only have predetermined objects to use, and having them scattered in improbably oportune spots is rather anoying.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I don't get the lingo, what the hell is a half wall?

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]Enemies don't have to stay back...Even in ME2. Some of the enemies advance on you. I'm not seeing the problem. mrmusicman247

Oh now I see. This is a cleverly disguised bash ME2 thread. I'll be going now. Btw, krogan aren't the only enemies who advance.

ME2 is my example. Your inability to counterpoint this exposes the opposing arguments weakness.

Fact is, cover mechanics simplify games, and make them an incredibly boring waiting game.

Beyond that, have any of you played Halo? Is the combat not 1000x more exciting than generic cover shooter X?

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 haberman13

Masculus

Really? You don't understand what a half wall is, even having never heard the term?

Or ... is this an attempt to deflect the argument into proof-texting?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

God. I love the internet. Now taking cover while being shot at is bad. Sweet. Like any other game mechanic if it's done well it's great. If done poorly, It's bad.

There is no all good all bad way. It's all about it's implementation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Masculus
a wall that is the approximate height of your chest, games like gears of war have a cover system where you go up and sit behind them then lean out and shoot stuff.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Goldeneye on the N64 has some of the most generous auto-aim I've ever seen.

This isn't a "new" thing for the consoles.

Half-walls are an unfortunate side effect of cover systems. Cover systems are neat but really overdone.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 haberman13

God. I love the internet. Now taking cover while being shot at is bad. Sweet. Like any other game mechanic if it's done well it's great. If done poorly, It's bad.

There is no all good all bad way. It's all about it's implementation.

heretrix

The so called "best games on console" are all half wall ducking games with poor implementation. Why can't we choose where to find cover? Answer: devs can quickly turn out corridor shooters with no AI, I mean really most AI in these games are just turrets with human models.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I like cover too.

The problem I think the TC has really is AI.

We need AI that is smart enough to deal with players in cover. Drop grenades BEHIND the cover, flank properly, use team tactics, etc. But we don't really see that type of AI in cover shooters.

Why? I think AI programming in games is still lagging behind a bit. We need better AI algorythms and better software engineers to create and implement them properly.

Also, we need the consoles to upgrade. Better AI REQUIRES more CPU time.

So I think that cover brings both realism (I mean, in real life who the hell goes charging at a bunch of well entrenched guys with guns?) and it COULD bring in new challenges and require new sets of skills.

But the TC is right, in that with the current state of AI, a cover shooter is just plain old easier.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 haberman13

Wasdie

If you haven't beaten Goldeneye with auto-aim off you haven't played it!

And actually I agree, AI is the real problem, finding cover makes sense (though the magnetic 'cover here only' is also awfully annoying) it's the "I'll just hang back here" AI that basically turns these into bar-based shooting galleries.

Dull. Dopey. Not fun.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I think games being overly scripted is more of an issue than chest high walls are. That said, I don't think comparing it to auto-aim is fair. if you want to play an FPS on consoles, you basically need auto-aim. It's just the nature of the beast.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

haberman13

I would rather smash my head against a wall than suffer that frustration.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 haberman13

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

I would rather smash my head against a wall than suffer that frustration.

Hahaha, yeah, I did it in college - missed a lot of classes, but loved every minute of it. (maybe I was actually just swearing constantly to myself, its been awhile)

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="haberman13"]

haberman13

ME2 is my example. Your inability to counterpoint this exposes the opposing arguments weakness.

Fact is, cover mechanics simplify games, and make them an incredibly boring waiting game.

Beyond that, have any of you played Halo? Is the combat not 1000x more exciting than generic cover shooter X?

What do you want, TC? COD uses cover a lot. Is it a boring waiting game? I prefer games that use cover than just going into a building guns blazing. Uncharted uses the cover mechanic perfectly in my opinion.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

they have to make the cover system work naturally with the game world, instead of changing the game world to fit with cover systems.

I think red orchestra 2 does this well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63f6895020e66

I think games being overly scripted is more of an issue than chest high walls are. That said, I don't think comparing it to auto-aim is fair. if you want to play an FPS on consoles, you basically need auto-aim. It's just the nature of the best.

DarkLink77

The best, indeed. 8)

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 haberman13

they have to make the cover system work naturally with the game world, instead of changing the game world to fit with cover systems.

I think red orchestra 2 does this well.

Jankarcop

This is the answer!!

Cover = good, I use it all the time in BC2

Regening health + dumb AI + half walls = bad (Gears/UC2 for example)

RO2 has the perfect system, total free reign, with various options for cover (prone/mount gun/duck/look around wall)

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

haberman13

I still scoff at auto-aim :P
... It's always great when I end up playing a game with a friend, go into the options to invert the stick, and notice auto-aim is "On". I turn it "Off" before I exit the menu.
Returning to game, my crosshair floats across the screen as an enemy runs past. What in the hell did I just turn off then? :|

Anyway, I'm not too against 3rd-person cover systems in games... It can be nice in some games, like GRAW on consoles, where getting hit once can mean you lose (GRAW 2 on consoles was insanely easy though...).
It definitely makes lots of games simple even on their hardest modes, though that's because most of those games insist on having the player, usually without some sort of science-fiction-inspired healing system, to instantly repair their flesh.

If a developer is competent and programs the AI to actually do something about the player sitting in one place (beyond throwing an explosive...), the ability to hide behind cover shouldn't really be considered a "cheap" feature.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#40 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
You mean cover? Yeah, it's been in games for ages even if there wasn't a button dedicated to placing you behind it.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

I think games being overly scripted is more of an issue than chest high walls are. That said, I don't think comparing it to auto-aim is fair. if you want to play an FPS on consoles, you basically need auto-aim. It's just the nature of the best.

IronBass

The best, indeed. 8)

Oh, goddamn it, you know what I meant. :P
markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Half-walls are an unfortunate side effect of cover systems. Cover systems are neat but really overdone.

Wasdie

its not new to PC either, DOOM had very heavy auto aim as well.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

A lot of games with cover system are hard, and cover certainly makes more sense than trying to awkwardly crouch against a wall with games that have no fluid way to attach to walls or cover. Play Autarch's Sanctum of KZ2 on Elite and tell me if the cover system makes that easy...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Oh, goddamn it, you know what I meant. :PDarkLink77
Of course I do =D
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]Enemies don't have to stay back...Even in ME2. Some of the enemies advance on you. I'm not seeing the problem. haberman13

yimir mechs,harbinger, scions,geth, dog type do a good job of seriously ruining cover. and pretty much every other enemy in the game advances on you at some point. Trust me ME 2 can be a challenging game. If you beat ME 2 on insanity with no problem then you are in a pretty small minority I would say.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]Enemies don't have to stay back...Even in ME2. Some of the enemies advance on you. I'm not seeing the problem. dkdk999

yimir mechs,harbinger, scions,geth, dog type do a good job of seriously ruining cover. and pretty much every other enemy in the game advances on you at some point. Trust me ME 2 can be a challenging game. If you beat ME 2 on insanity with no problem then you are in a pretty small minority I would say.

Lol, of course he hasn't, he's probably basing all this off of easy, I doubt he can beat KZ2, GeoW, ME2, etc. on the hardest difficulties. Cover doesn't just completely take away difficulty, it just the games make more sense, as no one just stands still or runs around in circles and shoots someone.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
"chest high walls" is a better term, "Half walls" doesn't make sense.ferret-gamer
when he said Half walls I thought Valve had gone crazy
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

[QUOTE="haberman13"]

Think about it - with a half wall game the AI HAS TO stay back. No more FPS ****where the enemies actually try to advance on you, and put pressure on you.

AncientDozer

Understand two points. 1.) Not every person cares about "challenge". In fact, really only a minority has ever cared significantly about it. More people want the illusion of challenge without the actual labor so that they can feel rewarded and pat themselves on the back. The rest don't care and are either here for story or the word "fun". 2.) Taking cover is a smart thing to do. The reason we didn't see it all that much until recently was lack of innovation and technological limitations. Bonus point: Running at your enemy gun blazing, while neat, is hardly intelligent.

This

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
[QUOTE="markinthedark"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

AncientDozer

its not new to PC either, DOOM had very heavy auto aim as well.

It's so true. Doom's auto aim was amazing. You couldn't look up or down but somehow the gun shot upward.

yeah LOL