The myth of last gen systems....lets end this right now.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

I have seen this posted multiple times by some people on this board. It's like people don't remember the start of last gen, at all... Or they were too young as the gen was long...lol

The Myth: Xbox 360 and PS3 were more powerful than gaming pc's of 2006-7.

The truth: Those 7th gen consoles were much weaker than the PC. Anyone who says otherwise has lost their memory, or wasn't there to begin with.

• PC games have been able to run 1080p before last gen even started. (I was playing COD2, at 1920x1200 back in 2006, the 360 didn't come close to the system).
  • It could never handle games like complex strategy games or anything that required lots of RAM.... the 256-512mb ram was a small limit. PCs had at least 1gb at the time, but usually 2gb was not uncommon.
  • Gpu - ranged from 7800-8800 series in 2006. Had way more processing power than 360 or PS3. I remember playng Oblivion modded to hell, with high res textures and res, why the consoles struggled to get low resolution textures at 720p.

Bottom line - the Consoles were never more powerful than the PC ever... PC is an open platform and will always, always be ahead of the curve. Just because the Xenos and Cell had multiple cores does not mean they were stronger than pc.

So people who bad mouth gen 8 consoles saying that they are weak compared to last gen systems at the same time of launch, just stop. They aren't weak. Infact the playing field is much more leveled now than it was last gen.

Do you remember playing 64 player batttlefield 4 on consoles last gen? No? It wasn't possible. most games besides mag and resistance 1/2 (which had subpar gfx in multiplayer), could not play with that number of players. The fact that the PS4 is able to play at near the same capacity at launch says a lot! Is it more powerful than the PC now....hell no, and anyone saying it is, is just as delusional as the people saying that gen7 systems were stronger than pc the.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

You want to correct ignorance on system wars.

Better chance of hitting the lottery.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

the only people who draw comparisons between the consoles and pcs are pc gamers.

or xbots.

it takes a great degree of mental gymnastics for any of those comparisons to make sense

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

the only people who draw comparisons between the consoles and pcs are pc gamers.

or xbots.

it takes a great degree of mental gymnastics for any of those comparisons to make sense

From your join date, it's obvious you weren't here for the "but teh Cell is a supercomputer" days.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

or xbots.

Okay I still don't understand how that works against what I said or what his point was "The Myth: Xbox 360 and PS3 were more powerful than gaming pc's of 2006-7."

Regardless of how you want to justify he is correct in calling that a myth. And really it's just ignorance of where PC's were at in those years to assume otherwise. But otherwise, who gives a shit? It is February of 2014, PC's are stronger straight up, and the legacy of all these platforms are mostly set in stone.

Getting people to "Lets end this right now" or "can we all agree" or "is it just me" or "enough is enough' or "lasagna is top tier italian" are just straight shitty thread titles/thread creations. We will not agree, this ignorance won't suddenly vanish, you are not special and not alone in this world, and Lasagna is run of the mill Italian. It is what it is.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Except the GPU equivalent to the 360 wasn't released nearly 2 years before the actual console.

x1800/x1900 or whatever you want to use as the equivalent were released within a couple months of the actual console. Where as 7870/7850 were nearly 2 years BEFORE the actual console. 7870/7850 are comparable to high-end cards from 2010-2011. (use 6870/6850/midrange/2009-2010 in the case of the Xbone)

So that leaves you to find a single GPU solution from late 2003/early 2004 that can match an Xbox 360. Or better yet...a single GPU solution in late 2005 that's ~3x more powerful than an Xbox 360. Because that would be like comparing the PS4 to an R9 290x today.

Or you can use some crazy SLI/Xfire setup if you really want. Then we'll just compare 4x 290x/780Ti and come up with a system that's like 12x more powerful than a PS4.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

Fact: Gears of War looked better than most PC games when it released.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 killatwill15
@br0kenrabbit said:

@killatwill15 said:

or xbots.

From your join date, it's obvious you weren't here for the "but teh Cell is a supercomputer" days.

I was,

this is my second account,

I got banned for turning words against others,

behest at the warnings of mods.

but like I said,

it is insanity to draw comparisons between consoles and pc.

that's like comparing trains and road vehicles,

just because they offer transportation,

does not mean they are easily comparable.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

We needed another one of these threads. There have only been like 16 every day for like the past 9 years. This thread also needs more batman.

By the way... if you play on different systems then why do you care?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@killatwill15 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

@killatwill15 said:

or xbots.

I was,

but like I said,

I wasn't drawing a comparison, I was just correcting you when you said "the only people who draw comparisons between the consoles and PCs are PC gamers or Xbots".

The Sony crowd was far more vocal about "Teh Cell is gonna kill PC gaming" early last gen than Xbots or PC gamers ever were.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By killatwill15

@br0kenrabbit said:

@killatwill15 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

@killatwill15 said:

or xbots.

I was,

but like I said,

I wasn't drawing a comparison, I was just correcting you when you said "the only people who draw comparisons between the consoles and PCs are PC gamers or Xbots".

The Sony crowd was far more vocal about "Teh Cell is gonna kill PC gaming" early last gen than Xbots or PC gamers ever were.

yeah,

even some said the cell was the chip in terminator 2,

the smashed up one maybe

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Midnightshade29: Why would anyone compare a PC to a game console? PC's can be upgraded and improved. Game consoles are stagnant systems. Nuff said. End of story.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@blackace said:

@Midnightshade29: Why would anyone compare a PC to a game console? PC's can be upgraded and improved. Game consoles are stagnant systems. Nuff said. End of story.

Hermits never seem to understand that. It just boggles my mind how they used to compare a 2006 hardware(PS360) to an up to date one.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@HavocV3 said:

Except the GPU equivalent to the 360 wasn't released nearly 2 years before the actual console.

x1800/x1900 or whatever you want to use as the equivalent were released within a couple months of the actual console. Where as 7870/7850 were nearly 2 years BEFORE the actual console. 7870/7850 are comparable to high-end cards from 2010-2011. (use 6870/6850/midrange/2009-2010 in the case of the Xbone)

So that leaves you to find a single GPU solution from late 2003/early 2004 that can match an Xbox 360. Or better yet...a single GPU solution in late 2005 that's ~3x more powerful than an Xbox 360. Because that would be like comparing the PS4 to an R9 290x today.

Or you can use some crazy SLI/Xfire setup if you really want. Then we'll just compare 4x 290x/780Ti and come up with a system that's like 12x more powerful than a PS4.

yip

xbox360 : 2005 pc hardware

is a closer ratio than

ps4 : 2013 pc hardware

both ratios below 1.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Really do we need another debate about consoles vs PC's we all know PC's are better graphical, but this also comes down to the person at hand who is building the PC, thats the big problem PC has, every single person has a different configuration to the next, from a low level grade PC to a high level state of the art PC, Without PC's pushing the limits (Which most of the PC gamers on here are only dreaming of, and yet keep bigging it up when reality is there machines aren't even that good going forward) we would never have the consoles we have today, who cares if they aren't as good as PC's the whole point of a console is because it's a plug in and play device, a PC is not, and can be a long process getting the right config and sorting out the resolution for that game and sorting out sliders to get it to max out or medium settings or inbetween with certain things being high and others being low.

can we please get away from these silly threads and this one is the worst, who cares what happened at the start of last gen, were in a gen looking forward, i'm glad PC gaming is looking bright and i cannot wait to build myself a 4k rig end of next year, but for now PS4 is enough for me.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

@blackace said:

Exactly. Jesus, when blackace is the voice of reason then you know u dun goofed op.

Hermits are, quite frankly, attention seekers. I suppose when everyone is talking about PS4 vs X1 and how shitty the Wii U is doing in sales and how awesome the 3DS is doing in comparison to the Vita, Hermits will feel left out. For example: this thread. Bringing up shit from 06-07? Really op? You feeling that excluded?

We know you exist. It's just that nobody gives a fuk.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@epic-gamerz said:

F.E.A.R on PC was a better looking game than Gears of War. Also when it was released Gears of War on PC looked much better than Gears of War on 360 it also ran at a higher frame rate, higher resolution, had better control options, more multi-player maps, a map editor and 7 extra chapters for the single player campaign that weren't on the 360 version.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@epic-gamerz said:

You contradicted yourself within once sentence... this is not a fact... by nature its an opinion. I believe BF2142 was a way prettier game than Gears... but thats my opinion

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

@pelvist said:

@epic-gamerz said:

F.E.A.R on PC was a better looking game than Gears of War. Also when it was released Gears of War on PC looked much better than Gears of War on 360 it also ran at a higher frame rate, higher resolution, had better control options, more multi-player maps, a map editor and 7 extra chapters for the single player campaign that weren't on the 360 version.

I have both games, Fear on PC and Gears 1 360, Gears looked better than anything i played on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

or xbots.

There is so much ignorance in this post.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I think most people aren't saying that consoles were more powerful than Pc's last gen, but rather than they were comparable with very expensive high end PC's. In order to beat a 360 out fo the gate, you were looking at well over a grand to 1.5K worth of PC gear thanks to needing a veyr high end GPU which back then would cost close to $800.

Fast forward to this gen and a $120 beats the Xbone. $150 GPU beats the PS4. and a system around the $600 (less than half of what it would have cost last gen) cna beat either console in any multi-plat you throw at it.

Now, rememebr the gap between PC and consoles 3 years into last gen? Way better graphics, better performance, 1050 and 1080p being fairly standard, etc, etc? Well, multiply it by two and you'll get whatt he gap will be THIS gen.

Console games will continue to waffle between 720p 900p 1080p 30/60 FPS and medium-low settings, while PC's wil be powering inexpensive 1600p and 4K displays, Oculus Rift, multi-monitor setups, etc, etc. at 60, 120 144 FPS.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

man.. why do people get on these debates ? games are made on PC's isn't that enough ? Both groups are stupid, one for trolling on it and the other for falling for the troll bait.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

They were more comparable to a (really) high end PC last gen launch. This time they launched at mid range at best

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

or xbots.

I don't know, I remember a lot of KZ and Uncharted 2 are graphics king threads. And a lot of arguing between Cows and hermits last gen. Cows do draw comparisons to PC

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The Xbox 360 had a brief moment where it's GPU was more powerful than what PCs were offering. It was for a very limited time. The Xbox 360 had a unified shader GPU before they hit the PC market with the G80 series and AMD's competitive series (I forget the name of that series). However the 360 still had less ram and a weaker CPU which held it back in a number of areas already.

However since the consoles stopped using proprietary hardware and unique architectures and have moved to basically being PCs internally, there will never be a time again where a console ever has more powerful hardware than what is offered on the PC.

The misconception that the Xbox 360 was stronger than PC's throughout 2006 and 2007 comes from the fact that many game developers were still moving to DX9 in 2005 and 2006 and the high end PC market was absolutely tiny compared to the consoles. The consoles set the standards.

Console's biggest advantage will always be one set of hardware though. Developers can pull little tricks that will only work on the specific platform because they don't have to worry about another version of the hardware coming out that year with a slightly different internals.

It's a completely different time now. Engines today are far more robust and support multiple platforms. This allows the devs to concentrate on making one game and the engine and its tools do the majority of the scaling for them. This allows them to focus on making the best looking game they have the resources for and it to be scaled down to the weaker platforms.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#27  Edited By leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

last gen both systems were high end

this gen ps4 id mid end and x1 is low end

how?

a monster 8800 card (biggest available ate the time) were 50% faster than a ps3

A dual gpu 7990 now is 3 times faster than ps4 and ps4 is almost 80% faster than x1

so this gen is weak, last gen was nice and acceptable

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Midnightshade29

@Desmonic said:

No one cares anymore TC. It's last gen for a reason :P

yes they do. I seen 3 thread yesterday alone where people were complaining about current gen systems not having "advanced better than pc tech , and the same fools were saying that 360 had technology 2 years in advance of pc at the time..." Hell some even say it in this thread... so yeah.

It was annoying me, that people still belive that crap. Consoles will always be a bit behind pc, and this gen its no different, but its much closer than it was. (battelfield 4 as my example).

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Midnightshade29

@StriateEnd said:

@blackace said:

Exactly. Jesus, when blackace is the voice of reason then you know u dun goofed op.

Hermits are, quite frankly, attention seekers. I suppose when everyone is talking about PS4 vs X1 and how shitty the Wii U is doing in sales and how awesome the 3DS is doing in comparison to the Vita, Hermits will feel left out. For example: this thread. Bringing up shit from 06-07? Really op? You feeling that excluded?

We know you exist. It's just that nobody gives a fuk.

HAHAHA ... .you people obviously didn't read my whole post...... the jokes on you.

I own gaming pc, vita, ps3 and a PS4 ..since launch, and will be playing theif on it in a second. Read my last post I made to see again, why I posted this. It was because of people bringing it up in comparision to this gens consoles, saying that they are weak and the 360 was more powerful than pcs. I seen it posted 3 times yesterday.

The point is, people don't remember the xbox 1.5.. and gun adn cod2, that were so vastly inferior to pc at the time. I was playing those games in 1080p back in 2006, so I know.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I totally agree OP. But you ask too much of SW, people here have the memory span of fruit flies especially some lems around here.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

who cares? honestly, who the **** cares?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

@epic-gamerz said:

Yes, but there were better looking games on PC at the time. Oblivion PC came out 6 months earlier, yet looked better than Gears on 360. I only played Diablo 2 on PC back in those days so I never really kept myself updated about PC games at the time, but I am sure there were more games that looked better.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

Thought the years were 2005-06 rather than 06-07 also thought it was widely agreed that the PC jumped up well ahead by the time the Geforce 8 series came out. Even in 05-06 it's pretty debatable.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

or xbots.

Bullshit. There were many threads where "Cows" were claiming the PS4 was better than most PC's System Wars users owned. 8GB of GDDR5 remember? "The Titan only has 6GB of GDDR5" Killzone Shadowfall > Any PC game on max Settings. The APU!!!11!
Get real dude this place was a circus a year ago after the reveal.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@pelvist said:

@epic-gamerz said:

I think you and me played a different F.E.A.R.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Midnightshade29: Is anyone saying otherwise?

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

or xbots.

Bulls****, i can remember a ton of X exclusive on Ps3 looks better than any game on PC and towards the end of last year cows where trying to claim that killzone shadowfall looked better than Crysis 3 DX11 high end on PC, stop talking a load of rubbish kid

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@speedfog: Maybe so, iv pretty much always had a high end PC that runs games at max or near to it, so looking at low resolution, low frame rate and jaggy console games doesnt leave a good impression on me.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

The Myth: Xbox 360 and PS3 were more powerful than gaming pc's of 2006-7.

The truth: Those 7th gen consoles were much weaker than the PC. Anyone who says otherwise has lost their memory, or wasn't there to begin with.

• PC games have been able to run 1080p before last gen even started. (I was playing COD2, at 1920x1200 back in 2006, the 360 didn't come close to the system).

360 launched in 2005. CoD 2 was a launch game.

1280x1024 was the most common resolution on pc in 2005.

CoD 2 is 60fps on 360 at 720p.

No gpu on the market could run CoD 2 at 1080p at 60fps when the 360 launched. Not even the 8800 gtx which came out a year later and cost $200 more than the 360 could maintain 60fps at 1080p.

The 360 was quite a beast when it launched. That $400 console was comparable to high end pc's when it launched.