The most overlooked game in all of these Game of the Decade lists imo is ... drumroll please ...

• 60 results
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19453 Posts

God of War III - 2010

• Great and very fun gameplay
  • Great setting / world and events
  • Great music and graphics
  • Good level design , puzzle design , and pacing

Poseidon , Gaia , Athena , Kratos , Hercules , Hera , Helios , Aphrodite , Pandora , Hephaestus , Cronos , Daedalus , Hermes , Hades , Zeus , etc.

Blades of Athena / Exile , Blade of Olympus , Claws of Hades , Nemean Cestus , Nemesis Whip , Bow of Apollo , Head of Helios , Boots of Hermes , Icarus Wings , various magic attacks

• 92 Metacritic , 2010 GOTY contender
  • The game holds up incredibly well after 10 years and should hold up for many many more.
  • My 2010 GOTY and ranks 3rd on my Decade list

The new God of War is amazing and gets attention as it should , but people tend to forget just how great God of War III was and still is. Do you agree , or is there a more overlooked game?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 214

#2  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 14041 Posts

It deserves no GOTD honours in a decade that had Bayonetta 2 and Devil May Cry 5.

But GOW3 Kratos does deserve the honour of being the worst character of the decade.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19712 Posts

Astral Chain & Gears 5 come to mind most recently. They were completely snubbed.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3940 Posts

New god of war sucked compared to god of war 3 imo.

No jump button, fail

No aerial combos, fail

No enemy or boss variety, fail

Boomer kratos, fail

New gow sucked and shouldnt even be considered apart of hack n slash, its a damn 3rd person adventure game, its like dark souls but with uncharted difficulty.

3 was better in almost every way besides graphics

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79707 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Astral Chain & Gears 5 come to mind most recently. They were completely snubbed.

Haven't played Astral Chain yet, so I can't say, but Gears 5 wasn't even good enough for a Game of the Year nod from me. The open world elements really dragged the game down. I mean, if you're going to do open world, you need to make it interesting.

As for God of War 3, it was a great game, but I don't think it's anywhere near good enough for Game of the Decade. It blew its load in the first chapter, which was incredible, but the pace couldn't keep up until the end.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 61993 Posts

God of War 3 wasn’t even the best action game of its year, much less the decade.

Gamerno6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Gamerno6666  Online
Member since 2013 • 7055 Posts

I gonna be honest here. I actually fell asleep while game GOW 3 with the controller on my hand. Its an action hack and slash game that made me fall asleep. No other game ever made me do that.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36635 Posts

I enjoyed God of War PS4 more than the trash pile God of War 3.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 9044 Posts
@Pedro said:

I enjoyed God of War PS4 more than the trash pile God of War 3.

Likewise. God of War 4 devs understood they couldn't compete with actually good hack-n-slash games like DMC so they went a different route that better exploited their strength. Made for a game that's great at what it attempts to deliver unlike the OG trilogy which is a series of mediocre action games packed with a lot of gore and violence that tries too hard to be challenging.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5834 Posts

@Juub1990: Mediocre action games lol, you haters are a cute and delusional bunch.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990

@vfighter said:

@Juub1990: Mediocre action games lol, you haters are a cute and delusional bunch.

It was mediocre shit. Put it up against quality action games like DMC, Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden and it falls flat.

God of War OG trilogy really wasn't good.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40070 Posts

Only thing God of War 1/2/3 had going for was it's Greek Mythology and that's pretty much it, but I for one liked and enjoy God of War 3, but God of War 4 is were it's at because it's in Norse Mythology and we don't often get that much Norse stuff in games. (Beside Hellblade)

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter

@Juub1990: I've already said it, but you haters sure are a delusional bunch lol. The GoW series holds up nicely against the other series you've mentioned, I've played them all. I love DMC, love Bayonetta, and yes, GoW keeps up with all of them. Your shitty angry little opinions don't really change that.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990
@vfighter said:

@Juub1990: I've already said it, but you haters sure are a delusional bunch lol. The GoW series holds up nicely against the other series you've mentioned, I've played them all. I love DMC, love Bayonetta, and yes, GoW keeps up with all of them. Your shitty angry little opinions don't really change that.

I don't know about that chief. You seem a lot angrier than I am and lol at God of War holding up with any of them. It's seen as a farce among fans of the genre but good for you lol.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40070 Posts

@Juub1990: I'm not sure why you need to compare God of War to the rest of the hack n slash series. God of War is in a different league of it's own for it's time, the trilogy were well receive and not going to include Ascension, that was nothing but a cash grab that shouldn't been made.

If God of War is mediocre as you said, it wouldn't get sequels much less God of War 4, a game that won GOTY 2018 no less.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter

@Juub1990: I've already said it, but you haters sure are a delusional bunch lol. The GoW series holds up nicely against the other series you've mentioned, I've played them all. I love DMC, love Bayonetta, and yes, GoW keeps up with all of them. Your shitty angry little opinions don't really change that. They've all scored on average 92/100 or better, but yeah mediocre lol, idiots.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juub1990
@davillain- said:

@Juub1990: I'm not sure why you need to compare God of War to the rest of the hack n slash series. God of War is in a different league of it's own for it's time, the trilogy were well receive and not going to include Ascension, that was nothing but a cash grab that shouldn't been made.

Why wouldn't I? They're a bunch of meh games with tons of violence, a poor storyline, a farce of a combo system and infamous for the QTE.

People can hate on the new game all they want, Santa Monica works to their strengths on it and their strengths isn't combat mechanics.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juub1990
@vfighter said:

@Juub1990: I've already said it, but you haters sure are a delusional bunch lol. The GoW series holds up nicely against the other series you've mentioned, I've played them all. I love DMC, love Bayonetta, and yes, GoW keeps up with all of them. Your shitty angry little opinions don't really change that. They've all scored on average 92/100 or better, but yeah mediocre lol, idiots.

Yes. An appeal to authority fallacy(which isn't an authority anyway) sure is an argument. Then you have the nerve to insult people and call them angry.

We call this irony.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VFighter

@Juub1990: Oh so now you're gonna just start tossing words and terms around hoping something sticks lol, nice try I guess? Doesn't change that fact you're an angry little hater who's upset the world doesn't agree with your views.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Juub1990
@vfighter said:

@Juub1990: Oh so now you're gonna just start tossing words and terms around hoping something sticks lol, nice try I guess? Doesn't change that fact you're an angry little hater who's upset the world doesn't agree with your views.

I'm sorry if you don't know what a fallacy is. You've committed one and pretty blatantly at that.

Once again you're the one throwing insults so I'm not exactly sure why you're saying I'm the angry one. I never personally attacked you but it seems I struck a nerve by calling a game for what it is. That and it seems I'm using too many big words for you and it offends you because to you, it appears that I am condescending which I wasn't until now because I can see there isn't a lot of education in you.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter

@Juub1990: Keep trying, at some point something you say might actually stick and work in your favor, hasn't happened yet but it might.

God of War 94

GoW2 93

GoW3 92

GoW4 GotY

But but but...medicore. Lol, you can't make this shit up.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Juub1990
@vfighter said:

@Juub1990: Keep trying, at some point something you say might actually stick and work in your favor, hasn't happened yet but it might.

God of War 94

GoW2 93

GoW3 92

GoW4 GotY

But but but...medicore. Lol, you can't make this shit up.

Once again with the same fallacy. Are you gonna bother researching what an appeal to authority is or should I tell you?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VFighter

@Juub1990: Still trying the "I'm smarter" angle, you clearer have shown you're not but keep it up, I enjoy a good laugh.

I'm done here for now, youre boring and can't provide anything of actual substance other then YOU don't like the games, this is clearly going nowhere for you and watching you get wrecked over and over again, while fun, is played out now.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Juub1990
@vfighter said:

@Juub1990: Still trying the "I'm smarter" angle, you clearer have shown you're not but keep it up, I enjoy a good laugh.

I've already shut down your argument. Now it's your turn to counter mine. It's not complicated.

Might be a bit different from your wood shop classes but it's really high-school level stuff.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1786 Posts

God of war 3 was the best god of war.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 12146 Posts

Maybe for fans. I thought it was kind of junk TBH and didn't get far

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3810 Posts

The most overlooked game of the decade is easily Remember me

• Awesome Cyberpunk setting
  • Great Soundtrack
  • Fun combat not perfect by any means but fun nonetheless
  • Memory remixes aka hacking into someones mind and changing the outcomes of their memory it's a really cool concept with alternative scenarios
The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1101 Posts

So how is a game that scored so well, sold so well, won awards, and got a sequel overlooked? Being an utterly forgettable, cookie-cutter sequel =/= overlooked.

Something that was overlooked would be something that scored well, but sold poorly regardless.

Take Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, for example. Took the series to a whole new setting. Tried something new. Took a core concept from a disaster and franchise killer of a game (C&C4) and not only made it work, but made it fun and unique. The game scored pretty well, but sold medicorely, despite the franchise's pedigree and despite being a really good game. Now that would be what I would call an overlooked game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54664 Posts

Ehhhhh... I can't agree to that, sorry.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15178 Posts

I liked GoW3 but no it's no overlooked game or anything.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2951 Posts

@jeezers said:

New god of war sucked compared to god of war 3 imo.

No jump button, fail

No aerial combos, fail

No enemy or boss variety, fail

Boomer kratos, fail

New gow sucked and shouldnt even be considered apart of hack n slash, its a damn 3rd person adventure game, its like dark souls but with uncharted difficulty.

3 was better in almost every way besides graphics

While GOW 3 was the better one, GOW was pretty great sequel to it, the story and character development was very well written.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 2884 Posts

@Jag85 said:

It deserves no GOTD honours in a decade that had Bayonetta 2 and Devil May Cry 5.

But GOW3 Kratos does deserve the honour of being the worst character of the decade.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Juub1990 said:

I've already shut down your argument. Now it's your turn to counter mine. It's not complicated.

Might be a bit different from your wood shop classes but it's really high-school level stuff.

Goons take pride in journos coming up with their opinions for them. Tho I think it's much better than mediocre, but the notion that it isn't outclassed by Japan's action games is absurd. There is no argument to be had that they've made deeper action titles.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 70 Posts

I really like GoW3's combat. Much more fluid then 1 and 2. The way you can use the different items plus switch weapons mid combo makes it alot of fun. Hades, Herucles and Zeus were all pretty great boss fights.

I also used to love the the opening + Cronos. However that cinematic stuff tends to get on my nerves nowadays whenever it takes control away from the player ... but it's still really impressive looking.

Also seems like the last 4th of the game was rushed, alot of it is just combat rooms. We also know they cut out a 3 way battle between Zeus and Gaia.

Also hated the ending, probably 2nd to only Mass Effect 3 in terms of endings I've hated.

Finally f**k Pandora.

Still probably somewhere in my top 10 of the decade.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1519 Posts

God of War 3 for the PS3 has a 92 score on Metacritic and people here are calling that a mediocre game....

🤯

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6753 Posts

The real underdog... Little Big Planet 2....

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 1458 Posts

I guess I am one of the few that loved GoW 3 and the new God of War.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@r-gamer said:

Then you are not a true gamer because your opinion differs from mine. :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jg4xchamp

@r-gamer said:

Both are good. I think bare-minimum good, and far from great, but genuinely solid combat systems. They aren't the complete embarrassments that are the Batman games or Mordor or Sleeping Dogs, or even something as pathetic as Zelda combat, ahem or The Witcher games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@ButDuuude said:

God of War 3 for the PS3 has a 92 score on Metacritic and people here are calling that a mediocre game....

🤯

Some people play games. Others play scores. Someday, you will know the difference.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25050 Posts

The new God of War is not especially good. I bet GoW3 is much better. It doesn't have a shaky zoomed in camera on Kratos' shoulder at all times making you nauseous and unable to see enemies and their attacks without big arrows showing where they come from on screen. A lame design choice not even mentioned by gamers. If I was a fan of the old GoW games, I'd probably be pissed about this change and very vocal about it.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10506 Posts

lol is this a joke thread?

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2126 Posts

@Litchie said:

The new God of War is not especially good. I bet GoW3 is much better. It doesn't have a shaky zoomed in camera on Kratos' shoulder at all times making you nauseous and unable to see enemies and their attacks without big arrows showing where they come from on screen. A lame design choice not even mentioned by gamers. If I was a fan of the old GoW games, I'd probably be pissed about this change and very vocal about it.

It works well enough and presented something different. Made the combat a bit different and for me better then what I was expecting from them. I did not think they could do any better then what they have done in the past. Did not think they could do DMC unfairly as it may seem. That combat added different details to consider. Here is a challenge but there are mechanics and tools that have progression to overcome that challenge. In fact there is a mode where the arrows are not even needed. My opinion the designer should have had the balls not to be scared that gamers will complain if the arrows were not there. For me its funny how we keep clinging to these particular templates. I wish the new Dad of War continues this path but fixes some inconsistency in that combat and removes the arrows. I think the combat designer has something there. Maybe they could split there team call this new one Dad of War while another team make the classic GOW.

I like the potential of that combat.

sleepnsurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sleepnsurf
Member since 2009 • 3275 Posts

Dante's Inferno was better than GOW3, the game was boring af.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10506 Posts

@sleepnsurf said:

Dante's Inferno was better than GOW3, the game was boring af.

I really loved Dantes Inferno. Sadly it was really overlooked as a GoW clone. The way they showed hell based on the Divine comedy was fantastic. Each part of hell was done so well. Gameplay was solid and the weapon was memorable. It just had a stupid story and chara. Still very happy I got to play (and plat) it.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37830 Posts

@davillain- said:

If God of War is mediocre as you said, it wouldn't get sequels much less God of War 4, a game that won GOTY 2018 no less.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Popular things make money, but sales isn't a measurement for quality.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37830 Posts
@Litchie said:

The new God of War is not especially good.

Right, it's much, much better than good.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25050 Posts

@heretrix: That seems to be the mainstream opinion.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1382 Posts

I would say Guacamelee. I never hear any of you talk about them, and they're both great.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#50 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 45486 Posts

God of War 3 was a game to buy when it got to the bargain bin, otherwise it was a decent rental.