The more and more I get older I tend to appreaciate indie games more.

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

For some reason indie games tend to appeal to me more and more. I am exhausted with AAA games for some reason. Maybe as I get older I appreciate shorter experiences rather than long dragged out ones. I bought FF15 and I stopped playing it 4 hours in. I don't know I just tend not to like AAA games with big budgests anymore or long games for that matter. I appreciate the shorter stories in indie games that are told better than most AAA games. For example I am going to get this indie game:

Which will probably scratch my JRPG itch. That's why I am going to stop buying AAA games for a while and get Gamefly. Long story short I appreciate and get excited more for indie games than AAA games, how about you. What do you prefer indie or AAA?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

So basically you made this alt just to promote this crap indie game? Okay, you should have just said so.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Indie isn't a genre

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

more like shitness lmao

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I totally get where you are coming from, I play a ton of indie games myself. To me, they are not just "low budget games", they represent the kind of games I used to play when I was younger, on the 8-16 bit systems, etc.

As well, sometimes I prefer a shorter, more focused overall experience. A lot of my AAA games I started playing, and did not finish them yet. However, I still want and really enjoy AAA experiences. There are certain things you simply cannot do without a big budget, there is no way around that. To me, they both complement eachother. I like having a good mix in my library, and depending on my mood or whatever else is going on during my day, I'll feel like playing one or the other. Each offers unique experiences.

SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmearyGoose1768

@Alucard_Prime said:

I totally get where you are coming from, I play a ton of indie games myself. To me, they are not just "low budget games", they represent the kind of games I used to play when I was younger, on the 8-16 bit systems, etc.

As well, sometimes I prefer a shorter, more focused overall experience. A lot of my AAA games I started playing, and did not finish them yet. However, I still want and really enjoy AAA experiences. There are certain things you simply cannot do without a big budget, there is no way around that. To me, they both complement eachother. I like having a good mix in my library, and depending on my mood or whatever else is going on during my day, I'll feel like playing one or the other. Each offers unique experiences.

I still like AAA games but they have to be more multiplayer focused like Gears of War, Halo, Overwatch etc. I'm tired of the same AAA formula of each game. Indie games tend to give me more variety in short packed experiences and yes they take me to my childhood more than current AAA games. I think because I got oversaturated with the same AAA formula for each genre that I enjoy and indie games offer more mixed and sometimes unique experiences. I think this gen is an extension of last gen but with better graphics with the same formula.

I think that is why I am excited for the Switch because I really haven't tasted Nintendo's games for a really long time. I bought the Wii U at it ends of it's cycle but only bought Smashs and Mario 3D land and both were great and change of experience from Microsoft.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Yeah devs tend more to play it safe for games with AAA budget because a lot of money is involved so it has to be a success. With lower budget indies, I think they can be a lot more creative. More and more indies are getting my attention.

SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SmearyGoose1768

@m_machine024 said:

Yeah devs tend more to play it safe for games with AAA budget because a lot of money is involved so it has to be a success. With lower budget indies, I think they can be a lot more creative. More and more indies are getting my attention.

Yeah this is pretty much it. AAA developers have to play it safe because it cost more money to develop these games while indies can experiment more and can't get the same damage or bankrupt the studio. I wonder when will these two meet and if indie games because more popular maybe these big companies will have to adapt and be more creative and unique with their games.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@smearygoose1768: Nothing wrong with that, and indies often have certain freedoms.....don't need to please a board of investors, can be more creative, etc.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Indie segment: more games and as a result more unique experiences.

Triple A: less games and far more creatively boring.

And how many of them actually showcase the advantage of being a triple A production in a manner that provides genuine substance to the player? Like what 10%?

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

That game just looks like it's full of character/personality.

I'd say it's a matter of most (not all) of AAA games being a bit derivative, stuff like watch dogs.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

I tent to play more old/remasters/remakes instead. Very few new big budget titles interest me. The problem is new games aren't as good anymore.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@smearygoose1768: Check out Persona 5, its a JRPG coming out in April. Its AAA, but they are pretty niche games

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

How old are you, I'm 30 in a couple of days and IMO most indie games aren't worth it.

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

@Epak_ said:

How old are you, I'm 30 in a couple of days and IMO most indie games aren't worth it.

Maybe because you prefer the newer style of games to the more old school style games.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@augustevans: Indie games don't differ that much from the games I played my whole childhood, so yeah I prefer modern games.

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

Except for the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, I don't think any AAA games interest and excite me more than the myriad indie projects I've seen and read about and play. Why are independent games so unique? They are an avenue for innovations and risky gameplay designs that would never be attempted or deemed profitable by AAA publishers. The freedom and experimental nature of indies allow developers to focus on creating and honing their wildest or most creative ideas without compromises or being forced to appeal to the general gaming crowd. I still enjoy great graphics or a fun third person shooter or FPS but what I look for nowadays is innovation and originality. And thanks to the wonders of Kickstarter, Steam Greenlight, Indiegogo, and other sites, developers can appeal directly to fans and makes games that appeal to any crowd, no matter how niche.

There are several reasons why I feel indie gaming is so much more rewarding than its AAA counterpart. Perhaps the most evident is the closeness between developer and community. While Ubisoft, Rockstar, Square Enix may communicate with its fanbase through community managers and the like, more often than not, indie developers have a direct line of communication between themselves and their fans, through devlogs, Tumblrs, Twitters, and forums. It's this closeness and transparency that makes indie development, in many ways, feel like a conversation between creator and community, more intimate than the relationship between fanbase and publisher. The other reason and probably the one that intrigues me the most is the seemingly endless depth of originality and diversity that indie games offer.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

On the contrary, as I'm getting older I tend to actually appreciate the shorter AAA games, something i can pick up and finish in 2-3 sittings and move on. I don't play them for nothing more than just the story though. TBH its more of a trying to keep up with the latest news and hype and knowing what the forums and youtube are talking about.

But yeah, most of my times are actually spent on indie produced games because they focus more on gameplay, features and scope, that you just don't get from AAA studios that won't take risks.