The Media goes against One Man's Lies after seeing Star Citizen ft Pyrocynical

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/08/22/new-star-citizen-demo-is-the-perfect-antidote-for-disappointed-no-mans-sky-players/#4d1db8be76bf

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/53514/star-citizens-planet-exploration-eclipses-mans-sky/index.html

https://rashbandicoot.com/2016/08/20/star-citizen-destroyed-no-mans-sky-in-one-demo/

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-30s-planetary-landing-blows-no-mans-sky-away/

http://rebrn.com/re/star-citizen-s-planetary-landing-blows-no-mans-sky-away-pc-gamer-2770095/

The media has turned its back on NMS after the backlash from the game not delievering on its promise. The fact that they were so impressed with what they saw show how underwhelming NMS is. My dear British commentary youtuber Pyrocynical highlights the lies that has been told it isn't just overhyped it's over lied.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts
Loading Video...

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I couldn't even get off the first planet the game was so bad.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

one man's lies is another man misfortune

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I saw the nms flop coming. The more i saw the less i liked and that's never good

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Anyone feels sorry for that idiot who paid $1300 to play NMS early?

LOL

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

I saw the nms flop coming. The more i saw the less i liked and that's never good

I saw it too :(

What do you actually do? What do you actually do? People asked a hundred times, only vague answers. When some reviewers played it and were unable to communicate what the game is, I already knew kinda how this would go: Review scores that are too high, disappointment among the playerbase and a game that is not all it vaguely promised to be.

I didn't foresee the inventory / U.I. problems. Or the PC performance issues and dithering. Or there being absolutely no online component at all. Or the randomness being even less random than I expected. Actually I kinda thought that maybe, just maybe, there would be an interesting thing to find at the center. Man... Come to think of it, it turned out to be twice the **** up that I expected it to be.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Thankfully I didn't follow the game and hear all these unfulfilled promises, so I wasn't disappointed because of any of that. But seeing it now, yeah that's pretty bad of them to promise all that stuff and it not even being in the game.

I think he pulled a Peter Molyneux in that he had this ambition to make a big game with all the things he promised, he just couldn't bring it all together in the end, maybe they didn't have the time or resources to make the final vision work, or maybe they couldn't bring it all together to work in the end. That's giving him a big benefit of the doubt. He seems rather eager when asked "will it have this feature" to respond with "yeah, we'll have that", and from the footage he did it repeatedly. I've no doubt at some point it must have become apparent that he couldn't make the game he promised yet he kept selling it as something that it wasn't.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Anybody know where the Reddit page is with the original post detailing all the promises that never came to be? I keep seeing that the posts get deleted and the original user deleted. Though admittedly I'm shit at navigating Reddit but I keep finding links and those links take me to pages saying the original post is down go here and it's a circle of not finding it.

Anyhow, found a copy of the original Reddit post here...

http://www.onemanslie.info/the-original-reddit-post/

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Who couldn't see this game flopping when they were so vague about the game from the beginning? I didn't see all the lies happening, but every video they showed looked more dull than the previous one. I was never hyped for the game and it seems I had good reason. Star Citizen on the other hand, has my attention.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

i was willing to stick with no mans sky and not refund it even with all the stuff that was not delivered in the finish product ( such as factions wars in space ) and all the gameplay problems ( such as horrible spaceship controls and tedious inventory management ) and all the technical problems ( frame rate drops and crashes ) if this had been a f*****g 20euros game and not a full 60euros game

I played quite alot with all the new patches ( through steam family sharing from my brother ) and the game still suffers from the same problems . I am done with the game. I might get it when it drops to 5euros and they fixed most of its problems

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I got exactly what I thought NMS was going to be, so I'm not even slightly disappointed. I guess some people are just susceptible to the hype train and corporate marketing campaigns.

As for Star Citizen being way beyond the levels that NMS tried to reach, I think most backers could have confirmed that long before C.I.G. showed the 3.0 demo. Judging by the positive reception that demo has received, all I can say is wait till Citizencon in October, it's going to blow peoples minds.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Think a lot of the hatred is completely unfair tbh. MP is the biggest feature cut. It's obvious that the devs had every intentions to include it, but were unable to at the end. People had unreasonable expectations of what a small indie studio could do when it comes to the rest of the game. What's this game's budget compared to SC?

Oh and the FPS and dogfighting sequences shown from SC are embarrassing. It's a game with no gameplay hook. Physically correct elevators only goes so far.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#15 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Well, the more I saw of NMS, the more it felt more like a tech demo, so I didn't have high expectations for it. I've just marked it down as a low-probability "Sale" buy on my spreadsheet, so it may be months or years before I even consider buying it.

Star Citizen, though, looks like a properly ambitious monster of a game - which worries me in a different way, to be honest.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts
@Sushiglutton said:

Think a lot of the hatred is completely unfair tbh. MP is the biggest feature cut. It's obvious that the devs had every intentions to include it, but were unable to at the end. People had unreasonable expectations of what a small indie studio could do when it comes to the rest of the game. What's this game's budget compared to SC?

Oh and the FPS and dogfighting sequences shown from SC are embarrassing. It's a game with no gameplay hook. Physically correct elevators only goes so far.

Dogfighting in SC is actually good what are you talking about. Recent FPS looks good as well honestly where are you even getting this? Have you even played a space sim before lol

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

No mans FLOP

I knew it was gonna flop hard, watching hardcore cows like quackknight defend it till the end was hilarious

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

@godspellwh: obviously never played the game and he's talking out his ass

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Star Citizen was always a real deal. Other games just tried to take advantage of its popularity but had no passion behind them. Chris Roberts is grandfather of story rich Space Sims.

He never made a bad game. His every game was considered a masterpiece that forced people to upgrade their PCs when he used to work at good old Origin, the most influential video game company of all time.

His game Freelancer that he created and released in 2003 at Digital Anvil after leaving Origin, still has a lot of shock value because it was ahead of its time. Star Citizen and Squadron 42 will be no different.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@koko-goal said:

Anyone feels sorry for that idiot who paid $1300 to play NMS early?

LOL

The game could of scored 11/10 and he was still dumb to do that,

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

No interest in Star Citizen, looks like a very dodgy game and I've read stories about it's development that are not exactly endearing.

Overall I'm glad I supported Elite instead. Great game.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GarGx1

@lamprey263 said:

Anybody know where the Reddit page is with the original post detailing all the promises that never came to be? I keep seeing that the posts get deleted and the original user deleted. Though admittedly I'm shit at navigating Reddit but I keep finding links and those links take me to pages saying the original post is down go here and it's a circle of not finding it.

I've just read through that link and I can now understand why so many people are well and truly pissed off with Sean Murray and the Sony marketing machine.

I guess the lesson is don't listen to the hype and make your own mind up once a game comes out.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GarGx1

@Sushiglutton said:

I suggest you actually try Star Citizen or at least Arena Commander when the next free weekend pops up, that'll likely be in October.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud_imperium

@CroidX said:
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Is he a con man this Sean Murray guy? Hes hyped this game too much maybe? Was it Sony's fault and they released it before it was finished?

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DeathLordCrime

@Sushiglutton said:

Are you talking about the recent demo because that is far from the truth. You either have ridiculous high standards or you haven't played a modern space sim.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

The No Man Sky devs made the claims, not the people, this video shows how much was cut. That is the difference.

Also, Star Citizen's combat has issues because of the current netcode, you actually watch a good dogfighter in space and its actually good. (on the non-mmo multiplayer since that is not effected). Difference between the state of combat now in SC, is thats fixable, and known about, admitted, and improvements have been seen.

NMS? all hidden behind smoke and mirrors all the way to release.

You can't even crash your f*cking ship .... its just so bad in EVERYTHING it does.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@godspellwh said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Dogfighting in SC is actually good what are you talking about. Recent FPS looks good as well honestly where are you even getting this? Have you even played a space sim before lol

He's a cow defending NMS.

You can expect him to say stupid shit like SC, a game generations ahead of No Man's Lie, having bad dog fighting. Even though it has great dog fighting and he has no clue what he's talking about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@deathlordcrime said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Are you talking about the recent demo because that is far from the truth. You either have ridiculous high standards or you haven't played a modern space sim.

no no, he has a fair point, because of the MMO version's lag/hit delay etc at the moment, and the lack of any balance / polish .... the dogfighting and ground combat looks pretty janky and bad, but anyone following it knows why. THIS is a real alpha. some Sushi probably never plays/sees.

Loved every second of the gamescon demo... until any scene involving combat, because its simply bad at the moment. (he run out of ammo despite shooting the guy 100x over, the land speeder battle was utter crap/janky) ... I don't agree with their weapon visual effects currently, they are too small, and hard to read.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@godspellwh said:
@Sushiglutton said:

He's just mad because he can't play it.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DeathLordCrime

@MBirdy88 said:
@deathlordcrime said:

no no, he has a fair point, because of the MMO version's lag/hit delay etc at the moment, and the lack of any balance / polish .... the dogfighting and ground combat looks pretty janky and bad, but anyone following it knows why. THIS is a real alpha. some Sushi probably never plays/sees.

Loved every second of the gamescon demo... until any scene involving combat, because its simply bad at the moment. (he run out of ammo despite shooting the guy 100x over, the land speeder battle was utter crap/janky) ... I don't agree with their weapon visual effects currently, they are too small, and hard to read.

Understandable with lag since its only in alpha. Looking at the speeder battle if you think that is janky try using one in battlefront. What kinda annoyed me is they kept occasionally switching to third and first person view during certain moments. Although I think not see the live stream, the video on their channel I seen had quite a few jump cut so in some parts it was confusing what was happening at times. When it comes to combat my only major complaint is the AI but they have plenty of time to improve them which is probably a reason they only showed you engaging a few hostile NPC. I think there trying make ground combat more meaningful so instead of throwing a ton of enemies at you their trying to do the more tougher and smarter AI which they haven't refined yet which can undermine the FPS experience. Once star marine overhual comes it will be much better as the german magazine has reported.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#33 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

No doubt considering Sean turned himself into a Molyneux the day before release.

This is what you get when you tell your audience lies just to sell a few copies.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Hopefully SQ42 reveal will look more polish I mean it's offline there no network to worry about

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

Eh. There is room for many approaches. Although I think the reviews for NMS have so far been pretty fair, there's really no justification for the crazy vilification against Sean Murray and Hello Games at the moment. The level of salt out there is absolutely unreal.

I haven't really followed Star Citizen for a while, so I'll eagerly check out the latest footage. I'm hoping that games will continue to build on what Hello Games achieved (and wanted to achieve) with NMS.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

An indie game that got too big for it britches.

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts
@djura said:

Eh. There is room for many approaches. Although I think the reviews for NMS have so far been pretty fair, there's really no justification for the crazy vilification against Sean Murray and Hello Games at the moment. The level of salt out there is absolutely unreal.

While I agree that some people go way overboard, I really do understand the outrage coming from the vocal unhappy customers. Many claims made by Sean Murray about the game were completely taken out or never there to begin with. I didn't even buy the game, but even I can understand the frustrations and anger from a $60 half baked product.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Okay, let me make it clear first that I have no interest in No man's Sky, never had and I never followed it since I like my games to have driven by some kind of narrative no matter how small it may be. Now all the videos that have been posted on this page and I have seen regarding the MP portion of No Man's Sky, I don't think it's quite right to blame the dev for lying. I mean he's repeatedly said that it may happen but the chance of player encountering each other is very tiny because of the size of the universe. I think he didn't lie even if we assume at the moment there are 5 million players playing it online the chances of them coming across eachother in a universe of 18 quintilian planets is definitely very tiny.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Think a lot of the hatred is completely unfair tbh.

When it focuses strictly on the game? Nah, it's fair game.

It's how much the conversation is on shit that isn't there, which is valid on some level, but it's ignoring that there are core things that game has issues with that need improvement as well. So it's really just shitty to focus on what was shitty marketing, when you have more than enough material with the core game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

This game is getting more hate than Destiny in 2014. That's sure is impressive.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

watch Angry Joe's review on this its hilarious. :P

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

One Man's Lies... The hyping and subsequent floppage of NMS has been very profitable for the media outlets and sites that got on board the BS wagon. The project never warranted the attention it received from all the "journalists" who are now dancing on its grave.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cloud_imperium

@zeeshanhaider said:

Okay, let me make it clear first that I have no interest in No man's Sky, never had and I never followed it since I like my games to have driven by some kind of narrative no matter how small it may be. Now all the videos that have been posted on this page and I have seen regarding the MP portion of No Man's Sky, I don't think it's quite right to blame the dev for lying. I mean he's repeatedly said that it may happen but the chance of player encountering each other is very tiny because of the size of the universe. I think he didn't lie even if we assume at the moment there are 5 million players playing it online the chances of them coming across eachother in a universe of 18 quintilian planets is definitely very tiny.

People went to same planet and stood at the same place while being online and they couldn't see each other. Hell for some players the time of the day was different, which means the game is not hosted by one main server as promised.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@legendofsense: I still don't really have sympathy for that point of view. I mean, you can review the game and say "Look, it's a 6/10 because it doesn't live up to some of the original promise" - but people forget that most games change during development. In some cases, it's a very radical change. There are so many examples where the original trailer for a game doesn't entirely sync up with the final product.

Also, I think many people are too keen to be ultra-literalist with everything, to a point of being dogmatic about it. Sean Murray's biggest mistake, perhaps, was that he was very open during the development of NMS; he spoke about what he expected the game to become, and what he hoped to see. Many of his comments were clearly off-hand reactions to a question, where he almost sounded speculative. As well, he clearly didn't keep an inventory of everything that didn't make it into the game, but I don't know any developer who does that.

I say this not to defend Sean Murray in particular, but just to point out that I think that many gamers have become pedants - and I feel like this is getting worse and worse. Now with the internet and social media, it's easy to go back over several years and parse every single word that someone has said, only to throw it back in their faces years later. It just seems fundamentally unfair and petty to me.

I know it's easy to tell gamers to lighten up, but seriously...I think we all need to do that. As far as gaming goes, I'm about as enthusiast as they come, but I honestly never get outright angry about a video game, because I feel that I'm lucky to be able to even play games to begin with.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

looks like bait & switch to me..missing alot of things *that were shown* & said to be in the game...no point making excuses for the devs..whatever the reasons..its still a bait & switch. :P

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

It would had been fine if they did updates on what couldn't be in the final game. 4 months from release tell people that many many things they wanted in the game will be missing, drop the price of the game and announce it as a late Alpha. I guess Sony doesn't let Alpha games onto their system so they couldn't say that.

But in the end the devs did no such thing, didn't say a word about the game, for years not a single person knew what the hell the game was about, what do you do in it? Nothing was said even though everyone asked that question. The dev was telling people not to look at the early copy of the game that got leaked, said wait and buy it yourself or you will be spoiled, trying to hide the game away from people so he can get peoples $60.

It's fully understandable that people are angry and want to vent.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Love how the cows and @photorushxx whatever backed this game like it was the next coming. Probably because they Sat outside of GameStop just to throw 60 bones in the garbage. Clueless drones.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I saw this flop coming months and months ago. I still laugh at all the fanboys going apeshit when I would say it was going to flop.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

I hate that all their patch notes say "bug fixes"

Yeah, but like what? They can't even be straight up about their patch notes.