MARIO KART 8
SYSTEM: Wii U
RELEASE: MAY 30, 2014
- Mario Kart 8 is the eighth installment in the series, and the first for the Wii U. It is also the first HD entry in the series.
- The theme for this Mario Kart game is anti gravity- taking a leaf out of F-Zero's book, the game allows players to race courses that loop over and in on themselves, forming some mind bending multi dimensional figures, such as a Mobius Strip.
- Like Mario Kart 7 (and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed), Mario Kart 8 will feature racing through the air, and under water.
- Like Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 8 will feature dirtbikes- these allow for tighter handling and much quicker acceleration, but can be knocked aside much more easily, and cannot powerslide.
- Like Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 8 will have 12 players per race.
- Mario Kart 8 will be Nintendo's most extensive online mode ever, Satoru Iwata has promised. Given how full featured Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 already were, this spells good news for everyone.
- Mario Kart 8 will feature video sharing over Miiverse.
- Mario Kart 8 is rumored to have a track editor (this has not been confirmed yet).
- Mario Kart 8 runs at a full 60FPS; the resolution is 1080p. This holds true for up to two player split screen racing; anything beyond gets bumped down to 30FPS and 720p.
- The Grand Prix mode can now be co-op completed by one to four players.
- Mario Kart 8 is going to have full item customization: you can customize what individual items do and do not show up within a race, similar to how Super Smash Bros. handles it.
- The Blue Shell has been confirmed to have been nerfed, and functions similar to how it did in Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart 7.
- Mario Kart 8 features kart customization similar to Mario Kart 7.
- Item usage in Mario Kart 8 has been changed- you can no longer hold one item in reserve. Thus, for example, if you have a Green Shell that you are trailing behind you for defense, it still occupies your item slow until you actually use it.
So far, the following courses have been confirmed for this game:
- Mario Kart Stadium
- Water Park
- Mario Circuit
- Sunshine Airport
- Shy Guy Falls
- Sweet Sweet Canyon
- Thwomp Ruins
- Toad Harbor
- Twisted Mansion
- Cloudtop Cruise
- Rainbow Road
- Mario Circuit (GBA)
- Moo Moo Meadows (Wii)
- Cheep Cheep Beach (DS)
- Toad's Turnpike (N64)
- Donut Plains 3 (SNES)
- Royal Raceway (N64)
- Dry Dry Desert (GCN)
- Tick-Tock Clock (DS)
- Grumble Volcano (Wii)
- Music Park (3DS)
- Piranha Plant Side (3DS)
- DK Jungle (3DS)
- Rainbow Road (N64)
The bolded courses are the new ones.
- Mario Kart 8 supports the following controllers: Wii U Pad, Wii Remote/Nunchuk, Wii U Pro, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro.
- Mario Kart 8 supports Off TV Play.
Stay tuned for more!
Stay tuned for more!