Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I just wanted to share this excellent "making of" video that came out today, since it goes into great detail over my favorite platformer of all-time. As much as I've been loving Sonic Mania over the past year, this is still my G.O.A.T, and it's always interesting learning about the programming mastery of Yuji Naka as well as the drama over at SEGA Technical Institute (STI). For example, one thing I didn't know until watching this was that Sonic Spinball was solely created to fill in the '93 holiday void as Sonic 3A didn't come out until the following February.

With 14 zones, 14 special zones, three characters, three bonus stages, a versus mode, a Michael Jackson composed/inspired soundtrack, and lock-on features that let you play Knuckles in Sonic 2 and "Infinite Blue Spheres," I can't help but love Sonic 3 & Knuckles to pieces. I only wish I had kept my Sonic 3 Happy Meal toys from back in the day...

Oh, and fingers crossed we get that Christian Whitehead remake eventually.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

Good vid.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10583 Posts

Ah, my favourite childhood game. Silky smooth gameplay, so much content, badass music.

My most affective memory of it, however, was actually a negative one: the infamous Barrel of Doom. I remember getting through it on the first go, then forgetting how to do it again until years later, slamming many controllers in frustration in the process.

These days, I wrote down a note so I never forget again: "Hold down, then up, repeat until enough height, then slip under."

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Hey man, thanks for this. This game is one of my happy places from my childhood.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

probably one of the best game on genesis. a game of my childhood.

easily destroy anything mario of that era.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

I'm still frustrated at SEGA for not re-releasing the game.

"It's because Michael Jackson worked on the soundtrack!" That's stupid, as there's no way the Michael Jackson estate owns the soundtrack. Michael Jackson's involvement in the project fell through. The estate has nothing to do with the music, they have no legal claim to it. Bottom line.

On top of that, the game has been re-released before! For the Mega Collection (and a few others). So why was this not an issue then?

If the rights to the soundtrack were an issue, didn't the PC version have a different soundtrack? Couldn't they just re-release that version and add the Genesis music back in pending rights?

WTF is SEGA thinking?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19511 Posts

The best Sonic after Sonic 2. And one of the greatest platformers.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

Whenever Sega makes a new console, I only buy it just to play any Sonic games they throw at it! I was a huge Sonic fan and Sonic the Hedgehog to Sonic & Knuckles was my JAM! Thanks for sharing this Renegade_Fury :)

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

And still waiting SA 3.