The Main Reason why Tomb Raider is not going on WiiU.

• 162 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

In a recent interview with True Gaming, creative director at Crystal Dynamics Noah Hughes spoke about the reasons why Tomb Raider isnt coming to Nintendos new console.

Im always a fan of the Nintendo systems, in particular they really push interface design, and from a game design perspective its fun to play with new interfaces. Having said that its something that I think we would want to tailor the experience to if we were going to do it.

Hughes went on to speak about how the development team tailor made the game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC and, because Wii U is offering something so unique, it would require more than just a basic port.

All three of those are really trying to deliver roughly the same experience but delivered best on each platform, and I think something like the Wii U often asks you to do something unique based on a unique interface. Thats something as a gamer I love but its something you dont want to do half-heartedly as a developer.

Seems to me it's the same BS excuse Capcom gave for the PS Vita not getting Resident Evil Revelations.

Although if this is true then the sole reason why WiiU isn't getting nearly half the games the 360 or PS3 are getting then it's probably due to Developers thinking they HAVE to do something with the Tablet. (IE: Developers are afraid of the New Controller.)

source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/crystal_dynamics_explains_why_tomb_raider_isnt_coming_to_wii_u

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Sounds like a bullsh!t excuse to me.

Oh, man. Doing stuff on the tablet must be so hard.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
Devs, if you just add me Off-Screen play on my GamePad, I'll buy that game over any other port (PC or console.) Off-screen play really is a buying point for me personally, since I don't have to give up my gaming session if the family wants to watch a movie or something.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

DarkLink77
Are you a game designer?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

fueled-system

Are you a game designer?

What are you implying?

Crystal Dynamics said that they wanted to do something a bit more with the WiiU's controller than what the other systems are offering, so no Tomb Raider (even though, the WiiU has a Pro Controller that can do everything a 360 controller can do.)

It's just as blantant BS as Capcom saying Revelations can't work on Vita because of Screen Resolutions.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

fueled-system
Are you a game designer?

Because adding off-screen play would take so much time, right? That's literally all they would have to do. Maybe give the player the ability to use the touchpad to tweak settings ala Arkham City. It really doesn't seem that hard. If you don't wanna port it just say it.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I smell BS.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41491 Posts
Oh, come on, Crystal Dynamics. Outside of the OPTIONAL touch screen, it's still a traditional controller at heart. You don't have to do anything too fancy with it. I'd be fine with it being used for SOME puzzles or even a radar. Better than nothing.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

DarkLink77

It's not even that it's hard to implement, he's saying that they don't want to use the touchscreen in a lazy way. Because people bought the Wii U to see clever touch screen features, not to play video games, apparently.

But whatever, PR is PR. The underlying reason is: cost > potential revenue, as they see it. Reasonable.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
lol "we love nintendo platforms because they are so different but we don't want to develop for it because it's so different"
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkLink77

The underlying reason is: cost > potential revenue, as they see it. Reasonable.

Cherokee_Jack

Oh, definitely. But don't feed us some BS about the touchscreen. Just say it doesn't make sense to port it at this time, or you don't feel like it, or you're focusing on making the best game possible on PS3, 360, and PC. None of those things are untrue, and no one will lose their sh!t over that. But don't lie to us because you think we're dumb. C'mon now.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

Wii U Pro Controller

Problem solved.

dracolich55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dracolich55
Member since 2010 • 2343 Posts
In other words: It won't sell well so its not worth the investment
ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

Family Friendly image Nintendo is ... Tomb Raider featuring a young girl attempted to get raped n blowing the dudes brains in ... Don't think Nintendo wants it or the company wants it on a console that has a proven track record of not buying mature games ... Or Any 3rd Party games for that matter

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

Family Friendly image Nintendo is ... Tomb Raider featuring a young girl attempted to get raped n blowing the dudes brains in ... Don't think Nintendo wants it or the company wants it on a console that has a proven track record of not buying mature games ... Or Any 3rd Party games for that matter

ebrezzy1

That totally explains why Nintendo published the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden III or why they're publishing Bayonetta 2. :roll:

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 AdobeArtist
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

And this article actually comes out the day I edit the new poll in the Hype thread; which system you'll get the game on?

Coincidence? ;)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkLink77

ebrezzy1

Congrats. This is the stupidest post in the entire thread.

Here's a gold star:

gold-star3.jpg

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

The underlying reason is: cost > potential revenue, as they see it. Reasonable.

DarkLink77

Oh, definitely. But don't feed us some BS about the touchscreen. Just say it doesn't make sense to port it at this time, or you don't feel like it, or you're focusing on making the best game possible on PS3, 360, and PC. None of those things are untrue, and no one will lose their sh!t over that. But don't lie to us because you think we're dumb. C'mon now.

Exactly.

Remarks like this and what Capcom said about the Vita not getting Resident Evil Revelations is just pure Bull.

We don't want that.

We know why, we just want to hear it from their mouths.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ebrezzy1

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

magiciandude

That totally explains why Nintendo published the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden III or why they're publishing Bayonetta 2. :roll:

I bet Ninja Gaiden 3 didn't sell to good on the Wii U:P

You don't get those games for those reasons i posted though ... there is not many people who would buy it ... Nintendo gamers don't support mature games like that or 3rd party period ... thats just a fact

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LegatoSkyheart

You don't get those games for those reasons i posted though ... there is not many people who would buy it ... Nintendo gamers don't support mature games like that or 3rd party period ... thats just a fact

ebrezzy1

Ninja Gaiden 3 was on the Top Played list for awhile on Miiverse.

And this article actually comes out the day I edit the new poll in the Hype thread; which system you'll get the game on?

Coincidence? ;)

AdobeArtist

IT'S A CONSPRIACY!

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ebrezzy1

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

DarkLink77

Here's a gold star:

gold-star3.jpg

thats just been 1upped
joker-clap.gif

congrats

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ebrezzy1

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

LegatoSkyheart

Ninja Gaiden 3 was on the Top Played list for awhile on Miiverse.

well the themes are a little different one dealing with blood the other dealing with something more real life ... like i said if Nintendo wanted it they could get it on the system just like they got NG3 and Bayonetta 2

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Looks like the 3rd parties have already decided to ignore the system...

Can't say I care for Tomb Raider, tho, as I never did like the series and this new entry looks to be filled with tons of QTEs and "on-rails" gameplay.

But if they made a new Legacy of Kain game, it would be a loss for WiiU-only owners. (if there are any)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

ebrezzy1

Here's a gold star:

gold-star3.jpg

thats just been 1upped
joker-clap.gif

congrats

Yeah, man. It's not like Nintendo went out of the way to get Bayonetta 2 on the Wii-U, or Resident Evil 4 was one of the best-selling games on the Gamecube, or anything like that. Nintendo sure does hate having dem mature games on its consoles.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Probably a good call, it doesn't have mario or zelda in the title so wouldn't sell.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
Just get it for the PS3/360/PC.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="fueled-system"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Are you a game designer?

Because adding off-screen play would take so much time, right? That's literally all they would have to do. Maybe give the player the ability to use the touchpad to tweak settings ala Arkham City. It really doesn't seem that hard. If you don't wanna port it just say it.

Actually Off Screen play is the default thing the controller does if they don't want to do anything by default the game would automatically stream whatever is on TV to the gamepad screen.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41491 Posts

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Congrats. This is the stupidest post in the entire thread.

Here's a gold star:

gold-star3.jpg

DarkLink77

thats just been 1upped
joker-clap.gif

congrats

Yeah, man. It's not like Nintendo went out of the way to get Bayonetta 2 on the Wii-U, or Resident Evil 4 was one of the best-selling games on the Gamecube, or anything like that. Nintendo sure does hate having dem mature games on its consoles.

Also... it's not like Nintendo didn't leave Mortal Kombat II on the SNES alone after MKI on the same console got backlash for it's censorship.

Nope, not at all.

:roll:

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Let's be honest here, they're not making Tomb Raider for the Wii U because finanically it wouldn't benefit the company.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Looks like the 3rd parties have already decided to ignore the system...Can't say I care for Tomb Raider, tho, as I never did like the series and this new entry looks to be filled with tons of QTEs and "on-rails" gameplay.But if they made a new Legacy of Kain game, it would be a loss for WiiU-only owners. (if there are any)nameless12345
Western third parties have already written it off, there's nothing Nintendo can do on that front.
Japanese third party developers could still be won over though.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Let's be honest here, they're not making Tomb Raider for the Wii U because finanically it wouldn't benefit the company.

W1NGMAN-

So more sales = no financial benefit?

If you say so...

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

nameless12345

So more sales = no financial benefit?

If you say so...

It does if the sales don't cover the expenses of porting it over.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Translation: "We're too lazy to try". They could just do a straight port and ignore the new interface entirely. It *is* a traditional gamepad.
Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Shocker...not.

GTA5 is the multiplat that I am looking at to decide the 3rd party fate of the WiiU.

As of now I think this will be the Gamecube and Wii all over again since the WiiU is already missing out on PS3/360 games.

TonyKoeffler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TonyKoeffler
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

Gee....I might care a lot if it wasn't for the fact that I have a PS3, 360, and PC, and not a Wii U.

Wii U is just going to turn into another Wii within about a year and a half. After the true next gen consoles come out, developers aren't going to bother porting to the Wii U, just as the Wii got screwed on games a year or two after it's released, and just consisted of a couple third-party games, shovel ware, and Nintendo games.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#36 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

It just seems like devs are not comfortable with the platform yet, give it time. A lot of devs had problems with the PS3 when it launched too remember? Generally speaking, the first system that comes out is the one the devs get the most comfortable with, for obvious reasons.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
Devs, if you just add me Off-Screen play on my GamePad, I'll buy that game over any other port (PC or console.) Off-screen play really is a buying point for me personally, since I don't have to give up my gaming session if the family wants to watch a movie or something. yoshi_64
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Translation: "We're too lazy to try". They could just do a straight port and ignore the new interface entirely. It *is* a traditional gamepad.

I wouldn't mind just playing it on the pro controller, I mean im probably getting for PS3 anyway, but it'd be nice to have a wii u option.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Translation: "We're too lazy to try". They could just do a straight port and ignore the new interface entirely. It *is* a traditional gamepad.

this. companies port games to the pc without even giving us graphics options. skipping any support for the controller interface doesn't seem nearly as bad.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

As a Wii U owner who really wanted to play the new Tomb Raider it sounds like a bogus excuse to me. If I had the option of playing the game on the Wii U with a blank Gamepad screen (i.e. they did NOTHING AT ALL with it) versus not having it at all I would take it with the blank screen. Outside of the touchscreen the Gamepad functions just like a normal controller and there is always the Pro Controller.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

As a Wii U owner who really wanted to play the new Tomb Raider it sounds like a bogus excuse to me. If I had the option of playing the game on the Wii U with a blank Gamepad screen (i.e. they did NOTHING AT ALL with it) versus not having it at all I would take it with the blank screen. Outside of the touchscreen the Gamepad functions just like a normal controller and there is always the Pro Controller.

Euaggelistes

It wouldn't be a blank screen the Gamepad automatically streams whatever is on the TV to the Gamepad the developers would actually have to do work for it to be a blank screen.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Conspiracy theory: Western Third Parties aways have a stigma with Nintendo since the Launch of the NES

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fernandmondego_

Conspiracy theory: Western Third Parties aways have a stigma with Nintendo since the Launch of the NES

FireEmblem_Man
Maybe it's the way Nintnedo use to treat them.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

[QUOTE="fueled-system"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

LegatoSkyheart

Are you a game designer?

What are you implying?

Crystal Dynamics said that they wanted to do something a bit more with the WiiU's controller than what the other systems are offering, so no Tomb Raider (even though, the WiiU has a Pro Controller that can do everything a 360 controller can do.)

It's just as blantant BS as Capcom saying Revelations can't work on Vita because of Screen Resolutions.

Great point.. and this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I'm not sold on the WiiU. 3rd party devs are going out of their way to not make games for Ninty's new platform. So what exactly will the future hold once the 720/PS4 are released? :|
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

fernandmondego_

Yeah,nintendo used to treat a lot of western devs like crap back in the day,now they´re slowly getting the payback.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FireEmblem_Man

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

MrYaotubo

Yeah,nintendo used to treat a lot of western devs like crap back in the day,now they´re slowly getting the payback.

The most critical Nintendo hater back then was the founder of EA, Trip Hawkins

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Randy Pitchford said something similar about not porting Borderlands 2 to the Wii U. Devs don't want to put extra effort into a platform where it's going to get the least amount of sales. Nintendo better hope Sony or MS have a touchscreen controller as well, otherwise the only games that will make good use of the Wii U tablet will be Nintendo's first party games.
Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Don't care. Same goes for Dead Space 3, Bioshock Infinite, Lost Planet 3, etc.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FireEmblem_Man

Randy Pitchford said something similar about not porting Borderlands 2 to the Wii U. Devs don't want to put extra effort into a platform where it's going to get the least amount of sales. Nintendo better hope Sony or MS have a touchscreen controller as well, otherwise the only games that will make good use of the Wii U tablet will be Nintendo's first party games.BPoole96

I won't be surprised if Sony copies Nintendo, after all they do have a history of copying ideas with their own technology.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts

[QUOTE="magiciandude"]

[QUOTE="ebrezzy1"]

ebrezzy1

"Nintendo gamers don't support mature games like that or 3rd party period ... thats just a FACT" No, its not a fact