The Legend of Zelda vs Metroid

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll The Legend of Zelda vs Metroid (68 votes)

The Legend of Zelda 65%
Metroid 32%

Time to answer the eternal question: which franchise is better?

My answer: Zelda. It is the greatest franchise ever, it is highly consistent (the DS and Wii games notwithstanding) (Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game far as I am concerned, incidentally), and while Metroid is awesome, it, like everything else, can't come close to the glory of Zelda.

• 
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#51  Edited By Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

While I enjoy both, Zelda has had better success and is my personal favorite Nintendo IP. To me, I haven't been a huge fan of the 3D Metroid games. The Prime series and Other M weren't bad, but they had a lot of flaws that made them seem like chores towards the end.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

Metroid is pure genius but Zelda is the better franchise. It's always so polished and well designed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I like Zelda more because its one of the very few franchises where I can deal with the puzzles. Almost every puzzle in the games makes sense and is clever enough to make you feel intelligent for solving it, unlike most other games where I just get pissed off at the puzzle sections because of how badly done they are because of obtuse logic, or just bad design.

1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

Metroid for me. I love them all (except Other M, and the first two, which I haven't played). I just enjoy the way the exploration and the world unfolds in a Metroid game (also a big part of my enjoyment of Dark Souls), the atmosphere is always phenomenal, and the sci-fi action is pretty tip-top. Samus is all, la la la another hostile planet to explore, time to grab my ice beam and murder everything that moves, like a boss. In space. Good shit.

Zelda has the puzzles and the charm and the high adventure fantasy thing going for it. I enjoy it too, but the actual combat isn't always up to snuff, and lately they've been bogged down by really long tutorial sections that make me not want to play anymore (don't have a 3DS).

I know story shouldn't ever by the first reason to play a game, and it's not story really, but mythology, that drives me to finish a Zelda game. Exploring dungeons and finding hints and references to the other games, adding to the legend, that's what I like. Parallel timelines, chosen reincarnated heroes, a villain eternally reborn through the ages--these are things that interest me greatly. But I feel like Nintendo treats the mythology rather cheaply, only maintaining a loose continuity to keep up the guise of a deep mythology, when really they don't put much thought into it. Like when the writers of Battlestar Galactica wrote whatever they wanted, and then utterly failed to make any sense of their mess in the end (also Lost, so I hear).

Also, why don't things (besides geography) change with the times? No matter if it's sky, woods, island, Link always lives in the same quaint wholesome little village before going out into the world and adventuring. These games span hundreds of years, there should be a huge difference between a society that travels by horse, and a society that travels by train. I know it's fantasy not reality, but having a train is a great excuse to have a game in the industrial revolution. Why not have Link liberate a sweat shop? Let's see some real changes with the times here.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#55  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Metroid. Far more satisfying series, by a landslide. Zelda is boredom fuel to the 10th power divided by the squareroot of hoetry.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Telekill said:

Definitely Zelda unless we're only comparing Skyward Sword. SS having mandatory motion control ruined it for me.

If we were to compare Skyward Sword to a Metroid game, it would be to Other M.

As bad as Skyward Sword was, Other M is a whole different can of shit :-3

i dont know why people hate ss and other m. i love botht hose games and they are best in the series

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#57  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

The two bottom Ips of Nintendo, which rises above the toilet the most. I'll have to think hard for this vote.

Just because you don't like action adventures, doesn't mean these IPs are bad.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#58 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Metroid was better on the NES. Zelda has been better on every other Nintendo platform.

I thought the original Metroid aged horribly, like the original Star Fox and Tomb Raider games. I'm better off playing the remakes of said originals.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#59 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Jakandsigz said:

The two bottom Ips of Nintendo, which rises above the toilet the most. I'll have to think hard for this vote.

Just because you don't like action adventures, doesn't mean these IPs are bad.

And how is Zelda a bottom IP when it's among Nintendo's top three in popularity (obviously the other two being Mario and Pokemon, Metroid used to be up here though)?

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I've always hated the Metroid games. I know I'm like the only one.

It's a game that encourages exploring, but it's so boring to explore.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Zeruda.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#62 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Zelda is just more consistent and has more high quality games. However, the best Metroid games (Prime, Prime 2, and Super Metroid), can stand up to the best Zelda games (OOT, LTTP, MM, WW)