The Last Of Us: Remastered, is this really a game? "Update"

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I have just finished the game, and I am still in shock. With the amount of hype surrounding the game, I was a little skeptical especially with an 8 from GS. I finally can rest assured, the game delivered on all fronts. I don't think I have been captivated by a game like that since FFX, and for GS, shame on you, it's a straight 10.

I can talk for ages but if there is one thing that is done better beyond the reach of any other video game ever, then it is the characters, just for the first time, I actually cared for every single one of them. The game transcended to a whole new level of story telling that really captivated me from start to finish without any compromise to the perfect game play.

One more thing, it's a msg for ND, please abandon the sinking ship that's uncharted and invest in TLOU2 ASAP, it's the real deal.

Note: I haven't played the Left Behind yet, nor the multiplayer.

Update: So I finally finished the left behind DLC, I really enjoyed it, the last battle was so hard that I ended up using everything I got, it was literally the final bullet for the final guy.

However, I was really upset about that controversial scene, I was very confused. I think they should have left this topic out, but they had like 2 hrs DLC to explain why Rilly was important for Elli, so they said " f*** it, let's put that scene in".

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yeah, I really need to play this some time soon now. Even if it doesn't live up to the hype, it's a piece of gaming history, so I owe it to myself to give it a full run through.

Hopefully it is every bit as great as I have been told it is.

EDIT: Going entirely by your reactions to the game, however, I need to stress and urge the need for you to play Persona 4 Golden.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

The game is awesome and indeed, the characters are great, but for me, is not even on the top 5 from games last gen, for every great feature, there is something that makes you say *sigh*.

Im Actually agree with the GS score, a solid 8.0 no doubt.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 2mrw

@charizard1605: I had googled the game and luckily me, it's on vita since I plan on getting on eventually. I will definitely give it a shot.

As for the TLOU, you won't regret it :) .

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, I really need to play this some time soon now. Even if it doesn't live up to the hype, it's a piece of gaming history, so I owe it to myself to give it a full run through.

Hopefully it is every bit as great as I have been told it is.

EDIT: Going entirely by your reactions to the game, however, I need to stress and urge the need for you to play Persona 4 Golden.

@2mrw : Like charizard1605 said, you should definitely play Persona 4 Golden. I put off playing Persona 4 till my first year of college. After finishing it, I felt like kicking myself for not playing it earlier. You're lucky because you get to play Golden which is more jam packed with content.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's not a 10. The game has flaws, it introduces itself twice, once as an okay cinematic experience, once as a generic cover shooter. Its clicker sections mostly stink and the forced combat scenarios are turd too.

I like it a lot though, an eight sounds right

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

I agree with the 8. Story and all that is phenomenal, but the AI is completely broken at times and the gameplay is very repetitive

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

I haven't played it but it looks like a fantastic game, the perfect storm

its got anime elements, great graphics, zombies, apocalyptic world, interesting protagonists

im sold imo, when i get a ps4 it would be one of the first games i buy

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Yeah, it's a pretty good flop

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 2mrw

@madsnakehhh said:

The game is awesome and indeed, the characters are great, but for me, is not even on the top 5 from games last gen, for every great feature, there is something that makes you say *sigh*.

Im Actually agree with the GS score, a solid 8.0 no doubt.

I can see where are you coming from, but as a package, man, it's a god damn fine game. not as 8 though, an 8 is given for very good game, I believe, it's more than that, in my eyes it's as close to masterpeice as it can get, I can argue wether it deserves or not but it's at least a 9 with the editorial seal on that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@2mrw said:

@charizard1605: I had googled the game and luckily me, it's on vita since I plan on getting on eventually. I will definitely give it a shot.

As for the TLOU, you won't regret it :) .

Yeah, I really am looking forward to it!

And as for Persona 4 Golden, man... it's not even a game, dude, it transcends being a game into becoming something truly else. I won't say more, expectations can ruin a product, but all I am saying is, you owe it to yourself to play P4G.

As for TLOU, I will definitely get it sometime soon. I am getting Dragon Age this month, and probably Bloodborne after that, but there are a few slow months between then and Uncharted, and I will probably pick it up then.

@fend_oblivion said:

@2mrw : Like charizard1605 said, you should definitely play Persona 4 Golden. I put off playing Persona 4 till my first year of college. After finishing it, I felt like kicking myself for not playing it earlier. You're lucky because you get to play Golden which is more jam packed with content.

No kidding. Dude, I played Golden in my final year of college, you can imagine what it did to me.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

It's close to a 9, very good and mostly because of the two main characters.

Play Left Behind asap.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 2mrw

@Couth_ said:

I agree with the 8. Story and all that is phenomenal, but the AI is completely broken at times and the gameplay is very repetitive

I have to admit that I was burnt by the AI sometimes but I was saved by it many more times, and it felt awesome to have you ally jump to your aid at the right moments, it was very thrilling and satisfying.

The combat kept its tension all the way towards the end of the game, I could see that I was basically doing the same thing, but ironically I didn't feel bored at all.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'd say an 8 is about right, I found the controls pretty sluggish on the last gen version and the pacing was inconsistent (the Pittsburgh section lasted too long, pushing ellie around on a pallette was irksome the first time and a huge pain in consequent sections). It does develop the characters well and the combat has good weight to it.

As a post apocalyptic game from the same year I enjoyed Metro Last Light quite a bit more.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@charizard1605: You know Ellie, we really are the last of us.

:P

Also, been playing P4G. Likely not gonna make it in time but progress is being made. And lmfao at Korra - I'll tell you later.

On topic, go and play Left Behind, it's probably one of the few DLC packs worth the cost of admission and enhances the base experience in every way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Basinboy: Why are you never on Steam

nib95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nib95
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

One of the greatest games ever made, and easily a 10. It's sort of the Resident Evil 4 of the last generation, only more poignant and hard hitting.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I'd also give it an 8 as I find it to be a great game that could have been better.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

The guy reminds me of the much older nathan drake. Im waiting on getting the game for $15 from craigslist. Man i should have bought it for 20$ brand new at frys during the week of xmas. Now its $50. I hesitated *sigh*

revolution2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By revolution2k6
Member since 2005 • 1446 Posts

@2mrw: I bought a ps4 to play it in 1080p... A true masterpiece. One of the very limited games to touch me on such a deeply personal level.

and you know what, I have trouble calling it a game. I truly believe TLOU is an experience, rather than a game. (though the gameplay is fucking phenominal, its the whole package that makes it an "experience"

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

Amazing game, I cant wait to play Left Behind and start a new playthrough.

So much better than i thought it would be but not perfect by any means.

The storytelling rivals great RPGs. I just love the voice acting and natural feel of the game.

The next game is a day 1 buy without a doubt, although im not sure how it would include the current protagonists

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@2mrw: My advice? Play games before they are HYPEd to high heaven. If they are HYPEd, don't listen to it, or at least pay it little mind. Same for movies, books, music, and other forms of art.

Removing the HYPE and just enjoying the product for what it is will alleviate the need in you to judge it AGAINST whatever HYPE inflated your expectations.

Your thread is based on whatever external HYPE influenced you and your experience with the game is not indicative of the game itself, but rather your imagined expectations. Although, luckily in this case, the game delivered for you. So many times though in these threads, the opposite happens.

To me, letting the HYPE affect you either way? That's NO way to enjoy a movie, book, band, game, or whatever. You come at these thing with BAKED IN HIGH EXPECTATIONS, you are only preparing yourself to be let down.

There was a time when the The Last of Us was brand new, sitting there with no HYPE other than it's the next game from Naughty Dog. That's when I got to play it. If you aren't able to do that, ignore the HYPE. I'm glad that despite you going into this product with ELEVATED expectations, it still impressed you.

I do want to point this out though: Haven't you ever recommended a great movie/book/song to someone and noticed you oversold it and the friend sees the movie/listens to the song/reads the book and tells you it was just okay or decent but not great? That's because you OVERSOLD it! Just something to think about regarding HYPE.

I've had to explain this psyche phenomena about 1000x in SW over the years, although I'm not sure you needed to hear it...it's what I can offer you. There is going to be someone else saying the same thing about some other NEW IP this year, next year, etc.

tl;dr: Don't believe the HYPE.

As far as The Last of Us? I liked it enough to get the Platinum in the game...and on PS3 that was a tough feat as there were a couple of trophies that were glitchy and almost got me to quit. Instead I just started over and tried again. I heard the PS4 version it's much easier since you don't have to unlock difficulties the same way and they ironed out the glitches. I picked the PS4 version since it has the DLC I need all brand new for $18, so I'm looking forward to playing and it all again. :)

The online for the game is also VERY, VERY Good.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

Everything about The Last of Us is amazing, except the actual game part. The A.I. is extremely broken and dumb. The game is amazing though. I'd say a 9 fits the bill personally, but an 8 fits too.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@getyeryayasout: My friend oversold season four. He kept calling it awful, a piece of shit, etc., but it couldn't reach any of those levels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@big_mak523 said:

Everything about The Last of Us is amazing, except the actual game part. The A.I. is extremely broken and dumb. The game is amazing though. I'd say a 9 fits the bill personally, but an 8 fits too.

I mean, I haven't played it, but I am sure there is more to a game than just the A.I.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

@SolidTy: The classic undersell is absolutely the best way to recommend media of any type to friends. I'm a huge Arrested Development fan and totally oversold it to a friend of mine. When I asked what she thought, "Meh.". I was heartbroken, and she was less hot.

DUDE! AMIGO...that's EXACTLY how I do it.

Total undersell. Later my friends are like, MAN THAT WAS GREAT, and I'm all, yeah, I know...I didn't want to let you know that, haha! They are used to it now, they try so hard to get me to tell them if something is good, and I won't budge. I will tell them if something sucks though, lol.

That Arrested Development tragedy in your post...it greatly saddens me that even an ugly woman (wicked witch of some direction, I assume) couldn't appreciate Arrested Development. How awful.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 2mrw

@SolidTy said:

@2mrw: My advice? Play games before they are HYPEd to high heaven. If they are HYPEd, don't listen to it, or at least pay it little mind. Same for movies, books, music, and other forms of art.

Removing the HYPE and just enjoying the product for what it is will alleviate the need in you to judge it AGAINST whatever HYPE inflated your expectations.

Your thread is based on whatever external HYPE influenced you and your experience with the game is not indicative of the game itself, but rather your imagined expectations. Although, luckily in this case, the game delivered for you. So many times though in these threads, the opposite happens.

To me, letting the HYPE affect you either way? That's NO way to enjoy a movie, book, band, game, or whatever. You come at these thing with BAKED IN HIGH EXPECTATIONS, you are only preparing yourself to be let down.

There was a time when the The Last of Us was brand new, sitting there with no HYPE other than it's the next game from Naughty Dog. That's when I got to play it. If you aren't able to do that, ignore the HYPE. I'm glad that despite you going into this product with ELEVATED expectations, it still impressed you.

I do want to point this out though: Haven't you ever recommended a great movie/book/song to someone and noticed you oversold it and the friend sees the movie/listens to the song/reads the book and tells you it was just okay or decent but not great? That's because you OVERSOLD it! Just something to think about regarding HYPE.

I've had to explain this psyche phenomena about 1000x in SW over the years, although I'm not sure you needed to hear it...it's what I can offer you. There is going to be someone else saying the same thing about some other NEW IP this year, next year, etc.

tl;dr: Don't believe the HYPE.

As far as The Last of Us? I liked it enough to get the Platinum in the game...and on PS3 that was a tough feat as there were a couple of trophies that were glitchy and almost got me to quit. Instead I just started over and tried again. I heard the PS4 version it's much easier since you don't have to unlock difficulties the same way and they ironed out the glitches. I picked the PS4 version since it has the DLC I need all brand new for $18, so I'm looking forward to playing and it all again. :)

The online for the game is also VERY, VERY Good.

Totally agree, gaming in general was more fun when I used to pick up games randomly when I was younger. but with the all the gaming news everywhere, it's not easy to ignore the hype.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fend_oblivion

@charizard1605 said:

No kidding. Dude, I played Golden in my final year of college, you can imagine what it did to me.

Hahaha, I can imagine all too well :D I finished Persona 4 and had an intense desire to immerse myself in more Persona. I managed to snag Persona 3 FES at a very, very low price and when I played it, my mind was BLOWN. Fantastic game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@fend_oblivion said:

@charizard1605 said:

Hahaha, I can imagine all too well :D I finished Persona 4 and had an intense desire to immerse myself in more Persona. I managed to snag Persona 3 FES at a very, very low price and when I played it, my mind was BLOWN. Fantastic game.

Yep, lol. Amazingly enough, the story of Persona 3 is betterthan Persona 4, although the actual game part is lacking in a lot of ways.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#33  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Blabadon said:

It's not a 10. The game has flaws, it introduces itself twice, once as an okay cinematic experience, once as a generic cover shooter. Its clicker sections mostly stink and the forced combat scenarios are turd too.

I like it a lot though, an eight sounds right

agreed. I really like the game a lot, but it isn't a 10 imo.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fend_oblivion

@charizard1605 said:

@fend_oblivion said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yep, lol. Amazingly enough, the story of Persona 3 is betterthan Persona 4, although the actual game part is lacking in a lot of ways.

My thoughts exactly. Persona 3 was much darker than 4, and very badass. My major gripes with the gameplay were that you couldn't control your party members directly and that maximizing the SLinks of female members automatically makes the MC romance them (one is okay, but you end up romancing all of them).

I did have more fun roaming the floors of Tartarus than the individual dungeons of 4 though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@fend_oblivion said:

@charizard1605 said:

@fend_oblivion said:

@charizard1605 said:

My thoughts exactly. Persona 3 was much darker than 4, and very badass. My major gripes with the gameplay were that you couldn't control your party members directly and that maximizing the SLinks of female members automatically makes the MC romance them (one is okay, but you end up romancing all of them).

I did have more fun roaming the floors of Tartarus than the individual dungeons of 4 though.

Really? I hated Tartarus. It was shit.

That said, holy shit did Persona 3 have balls. A major character dying halfway through the story by the hands of another major character? The MC dying at the end? You failing in your quest? Damn, I have nothing but respect for that story.

It helps that the music is badass as ****. The Battle for Everyone's Souls <3

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I played through TLOU on PS3 and wish I would have waited for the PS4 version. The frame rate improvements are huge! I would say story wise, TLOU was top 3 last gen. I think I liked the Mass Effect Triology and the Bioshock Trilogy more. But TLOU was very good. The A.I. In the game almost broke the tension and atmosphere, but I was able to look past that. I wish my experience was based on the PS4 experience and not the PS3. Oh well.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@big_mak523 said:

I mean, I haven't played it, but I am sure there is more to a game than just the A.I.

That was just one example. The A.I. part is important though, because the game relies heavily on its atmosphere to draw in people. You will get sucked into the world, but when Ellie can just walk by a clicker no problem, it takes you right out of the immersion. But there are some other issues I have as well, like multiple sections of you having to get a raft to make Ellie get on and repeat lol.

Like I said the game is amazing but it has flaws. For the most part it succeeds in what it attempts to do, and is definitely a game everybody should play.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

one of the best games ever

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

Yes it was an amazing experience regardless of what the naysayers say. Storytelling and gameplay fused together into a moving experience. My favorite part was the Winter segment...that was when I thought, "OMG this game is AWESOME!"

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This game relies heavily on the fact that you would like BOTH main characters. While, I liked Joel, I thought Ellie was irritating.

Also, the game is like 4 hours too long. The combat is not good enough for a game that lasts so long. It also has a few sections which simply feel like filler. It definitely doesn't stand next to Uncharted 2, a game which has excellent pacing and a well done script.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#41 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Great game. Storytelling and gameplay come together to give you a great experience. Two things that I didn't like about the game were AI and seeing through walls ability (which needs to die already). Frame rates, jaggies and blurry textures also ruin the experience on Ps3, but you can't blame devs for an outdated hardware. A bit overrated but overall a great game. For me it's 8.5 on ps3 and 9 on Ps4.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I felt the game was a 7. The story was certainly decent, but the gameplay, namely stealth and crafting, fell way too short.

supergokublitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 supergokublitz
Member since 2005 • 651 Posts

I liked it apart from the darn clickers

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Phew. I thought this was was one of those jaded "is this linear single player game really a game? There are so many GTEs!!!!11oneone" threads.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Yeah, I like it.

Quite a bit, actually.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Loved it. A moving game. Left Behind was even better for me.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fend_oblivion

@charizard1605 said:

Really? I hated Tartarus. It was shit.

That said, holy shit did Persona 3 have balls. A major character dying halfway through the story by the hands of another major character? The MC dying at the end? You failing in your quest? Damn, I have nothing but respect for that story.

It helps that the music is badass as ****. The Battle for Everyone's Souls <3

I just didn't like the individual dungeons of 4 :P

Everything about that game's story was amazing. And "Kimi No Kioku" was a fitting closing song for the game.

That's Shoji Meguro at his finest :D

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45085 Posts

I fail to see how one can compare last of us to persona 4 golden...

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cyclops10
Member since 2004 • 696 Posts

lol i think every thread on this forum eventually turns into charizard talking about Persona 4.

As for the Last of Us, got it with my PS4 for XMas and finished it last night....absolutely fantastic game. 10 out of 10 for presentation, characterization, design, voice acting and world building. Haven't felt that immersed in a game since Bioshock 1. ND really are in a league of their own when it comes to presentation.

Personally i didn't really have any problems with the A.I considering you're fighting brainless zombies for most of the game.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Well yeah it is the game of the gen for a reason.