The last of us remastered features 30fps toggle

• 167 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#102 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@rosko123 said:

a lot of people had complained that it would lose it's cinematic feel at 60fps.

A lot of people complained about having MORE fps ?

@foxhound_fox said:

"Cinematic feel"

**** people, we're playing games here, not movies.

Those people should be forced to play at 24FPS and no higher. "teh cinematicness"

the peasants don't realize that if you stop a movie, it's all blurry, one 'frame' contains many frames blurred together. Games don't do this, and why 30fps sucks

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@Nengo_Flow: maybe I'm an elitist but if it's at a stable 60fps why would you want to play at 30? It doesn't make much sense. Unless it's not a stable 60fps like killzone. But apparently it is and they are doing this because consolites think that some how 30fps has advantages over 60fps in a video game which is asinine imo.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#104 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

maybe it means

option1- 60fps slighty worse textures or something

option 2- 30fps better graphics

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
@scottpsfan14 said:
@cfisher2833 said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

Mmm, it may actually mean that the game can't sustain 60fps locked.

Let's wait and see.

That's exactly what I thought. The only reason I could see throwing a 30fps cap on the game would be if the framerates fluctuate heavily, instead of a stable 60fps. Not being able to hit a stable 60fps on a PS3 port with some improved textures would be pretty fucking pathetic, and would be a guarantee that their whole 60fps Uncharted promise was a load of horseshit.

btw, the developer saying "we've worked hard to remove drops" and "the experience SHOULD be a locked 60fps" isn't the same as saying that the game is locked at 60fps and rarely ever experiences fps drops. Learn 2 PR talk people!

Lol, you all at it with the word cherry picking because you don't have a real argument. TLOU Remastered is 1080p 60fps. Deal with it how you will.

Errr what did he say that was untrue or cherry picking? Have the devs said its locked at 60 fps? Having a 30 FPS option when its also 60 FPS on a console seems bizarre, has it ever happened before that anyone knows of?

EDIT having said that, not many console game that I can remember haven't had some degree of frame droppage at some point of action.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Who the hell would choose 30 fps over 60?? That's ridiculous.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

I don't get this whole cinematic feel bullshit.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#108 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@KHAndAnime said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

60FPS is more cinematic than 30FPS could ever be. Plus there's the question of input lag.

What do you mean? Movies recorded with 35 mill film or IMAX are 24fps. Not 60fps. 30fps is closer to 24fps than 60fps is, therefore it gives a more 'cinematic' feel. Simple stuff really.

Movie frames are "intertwined", so to speak, with motion blur, so at 24 FPS they look like 60 fps. Games frames aren't blurred together, making 24 FPS feel very sluggish and choppy.

Movies do not look like 60fps. Sorry.

That's because they aren't for the reasons I stated above. However they have natural motion blur that our brain picks up on and can see a smooth image. Though at the same time if you go watch the 48 fps version of The Hobbit movies you will noticed they are smoother. If you can't, then you're simply lying. Our brains don't see frames and are built to perceive motion. If you were to quantify it as a number our brains see more in the thousands of FPS.

We can simulate this motion blur but even the best implementation isn't close to the real thing yet.

Even if we could there is the issue of user inputs to consider. A image that updates at 60 frames per second updates its pixels ever 16.66666 milliseconds . This means, ignoring the latency of the controller, that if you hit a button on one frame that will update the next, it will take 16.66666 milliseconds to update. That's pretty quick. However with 30 fps you have to double that time to 33.3333 seconds. You notice that double.

At 16.66666 inputs feel nearly 1:1 to the point most people are satisfied. I say most because I have played games on a 120 hz monitor, and if you can run 120fps with the game, you can notice a difference in input latency. At a refresh rate of 8.333333 milliseconds, a 120hz monitor is noticeably smoother. Not only are you seeing more frames (which means you're closer to how your brain works), you also get smoother inputs.

Sadly 120 hz right now is reserved for those who spend a lot of money on the monitor and PC components to run games at a smooth 120 fps. The rest of us 60 fps or lower peasants will just have to wait until the tech gets cheaper and GPUs get more powerful.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

All I know is higher numbers are better so I want my numbers as high as possible.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#110 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Errr what did he say that was untrue or cherry picking? Have the devs said its locked at 60 fps? Having a 30 FPS option when its also 60 FPS on a console seems bizarre, has it ever happened before that anyone knows of?

EDIT having said that, not many console game that I can remember haven't had some degree of frame droppage at some point of action.

They probably have an unlocked framerate with a target goal of 60fps but aren't going to work every single scene in the game to hit that target so we'll see a fluctuating FPS. It will probably be over 30 fps at all time but some people just don't like the FPS going up and down like that. It annoys me greatly. Makes the game seem sluggish in some areas and too fast in others. Locked FPS > variable any day of the week. Even if that lock is lower than 60fps.

I love 60fps but if you can't get your game to do 60fps, you need to lock the framerate somewhere. Nothing sucks worse on any platform than playing at 60fps then having to suffer framerate drops.

peafowlplumage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By peafowlplumage
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

@b4x said:

Perfection

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

So basically this PS4 port is pretty much the same as the PS3 version but some fanboys will claim the PS4 will give you a more cinematic feel.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

now, i wish it was a 60 / 120 toggle :(

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#114 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@Blabadon said:

The PS4 can emulate the Xbox One now?

Pretty sure it could since day 1 :P

It still can't play a music CD like the XB1 can. So maybe not.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#116 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@heretrix said:

It says something about the state of PS4 and X1 games when fucking remasters are dominating the hype.

A typical year one for a console. I swear some people talk like they haven't lived through a single gen cycle before.

First years always suck. ALWAYS THEY ALWAYS SUCK. They'll suck next gen too.

That's why consoles suck.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Unless your own a 60" tv i don't see the point of playing over 30fps

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@wis3boi said:

the peasants don't realize that if you stop a movie, it's all blurry, one 'frame' contains many frames blurred together. Games don't do this, and why 30fps sucks

People that compare game FPS to movie FPS or say stuff like 30 FPS is more cinematic than 60 FPS don't have a clue what they are talking about. Or they've played so much 30 FPS they don't even know what 60FPS is anymore.

GTA V had dips from 30 FPS, that was soooo cinematic. Felt like I was in a movie... FFS people. Games need to play fluently, that's what it's all about. 60 FPS >>>>>> 30 FPS. If you have the choice do it.

I hope this FPS switch shows those people that 60 FPS is better. And doesn't make your game less "cinematic"

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-remastered-devs-discuss-making-60fp/1100-6421147/

"But being able to compare apples to apples like we have now with The Last of Us, going back and playing the 30 Hz version feels, to quote some people in the office, 'broken.'"

There you go brainwashed sheep, this is a slap at your "cinematic" bullshit belief.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Excellent addition. SDC

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@scottpsfan14 said:
@amazonangry said:

Excellent addition. SDC

I'm just curious, what account did you create first, XboxDone74, ConsoleCaesar, or AmazonAngry?

xboxdone74 got banned then he created this one

So,bandodging

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#123 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Acting like slower fps is a feature and calling it "cinematic." Oh, wow, lol.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#124  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

Let's wait and see.

Maybe this idea never crossed any one of you xbox fanboys mind but perhaps this is no different than Bungie putting in the toggle feature to show the difference between graphics of the current and past game/s only using framerate.

Like ND are saying, it is an option. It's just like the option to play old halo games with original graphics instead of the updated graphics. Seriously xbot always come to the most idiotic conclusions because of their fanboyism.

Let's use that same lem logic on the Halo remaster: From xbox fanboy claims, I guess we should also conclude that must mean that the toggle feature in the Halo collection to change graphics is there because the game can't sustain the updated graphics locked.

Let's wiait and see/ DERP

Not an xbot.

It's only common to think that when a game ships with a lock framerate option is because it can't maintain a higher framerate consistently.

Killzone did it.

That's the main reason why consoles have a lock framerate option actually. The excuse of the "cinematic feel" seems pretty stupid.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#125 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@cfisher2833 said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

Let's wait and see.

That's exactly what I thought. The only reason I could see throwing a 30fps cap on the game would be if the framerates fluctuate heavily, instead of a stable 60fps. Not being able to hit a stable 60fps on a PS3 port with some improved textures would be pretty fucking pathetic, and would be a guarantee that their whole 60fps Uncharted promise was a load of horseshit.

btw, the developer saying "we've worked hard to remove drops" and "the experience SHOULD be a locked 60fps" isn't the same as saying that the game is locked at 60fps and rarely ever experiences fps drops. Learn 2 PR talk people!

Lol, you all at it with the word cherry picking because you don't have a real argument. TLOU Remastered is 1080p 60fps. Deal with it how you will.

So is Tomb Raider: DE, BF4 and Sniper Elite 3.

But we all know they're not. They can't maintain it.

What is the main reason why developers have always put a "lock framerate" option on consoles?

Not an unreasonable speculation to make, that probably the game can't sustain 60fps.

bublover1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 bublover1
Member since 2013 • 133 Posts

TLOU: RE will look better than every Xbone game now and in the future.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
@bublover1 said:

settle down, brofists

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#129  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@bublover1 said:

Well... Ryse was pretty much a graphically demanding game. Was it good? Probably not. But, since you weren't asking about gameplay...

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@bublover1 said:

Prove it you filthy shill!

P.S What's a bub and why do you love them so much brofists?

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

There's absolutely nothing cinematic about 30fps. There's a reason movies seem smooth in 24fps and games don't; they're not the same. Don't buy that cinematic bullshit, it's an excuse to either have better graphic fidelity or the frame rate is just not stable at 60fps. How can you possibly think a more fluid motion is worse than a lesser one, in any way?

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Good, now people have a choice.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#133 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@cainetao11 said:

Agreed @SolidTy, no need for me on this. I'll pop in my ps3 if I want to play it. I wont pay for MC collection. Asked for it as a birthday present.

lol, there is a big difference between you and solid..He actually owns a PS4 (and xbox one) to have the option to buy TLOU R if he chooses.

You, on the other hand, are just making due with the options you have available for the only current gen console (xb1) you bought, as you are still basically saying you want the Halo collection.

of wow your like the dark knight detective!!! SolidTy and I have been multi console owners for years. He knows I wont spend money on either game, but being that there is a multiplayer that hasn't been playable in like 8 years where as TLOU is still going 1 whole year later, the comparison fails ballbag.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

So will all of the people here that claim 30 fps is "cinematic" cut the Xbox One a break when their games are 30 fps? What's next? 800p is more cinematic than 1080p? Oh wait.....

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@faizan_faizan said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-remastered-devs-discuss-making-60fp/1100-6421147/

"But being able to compare apples to apples like we have now with The Last of Us, going back and playing the 30 Hz version feels, to quote some people in the office, 'broken.'"

There you go brainwashed sheep, this is a slap at your "cinematic" bullshit belief.

So 30 fps feels "broken" to the dev team. The PR team says it's "cinematic" so it's o.k. Too bad your post will be ignored. The framerate debate has been blown up with this game just like the resolution debate was blown up with The Order 1886. Fanboys will do their best to put a spin on things so they "win" but some of us can see through the BS.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#136 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

what's the point, it's not like the game plays like the heavily scripted E3 demo

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#137 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

I see no purpose in this option unless it's like Killzone where when it's frame rate was unlocked it's was targeting 60 but was unstable. In which case that's pretty disappointing considering this is a PS3 game.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

LMAO. Console fanboys are so fucking stupid. You bought into the cinematic bullshit so hard you demanded it from future titles. Lo and behold Sony feeds you your own feces with a smile and you gobble it up. Just lulz!

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Great now people can switch back and forth and cure themselves of this silly fps obsession.

Actually I think being able switch back and forth will make people more fps obsessed. When consolites go from a 60fps game like CoD to a 30fps game like Halo it takes a few minutes before you're in the game. I think that much longer gap makes the fps change less pronounced.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts
@walloftruth said:

@DefconRave said:

@rosko123 said:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_last_of_us_remastered/news/the_last_of_us_remastered_details_leak_30fps_toggle_additional_dlc_planned.html

Great idea as a lot of people had complained that it would lose it's cinematic feel at 60fps. Article also states that it will include 4x more detailed texture maps. Can't wait to see what this looks like.

People actually believe the "cinematic feel" spiel? I weep for humanity.......

Yeah, I don't get it either. I've played some games at 30FPS on PC and they seems laggy and slow. 60FPS is the only real way to enjoy games for me nowadays. Well I guess it doesn't matter much in TLoU though, I mean movies usually play at 24FPS, so 30 FPS for TLoU is really generous.

Yet this "movie" won all teh GOTy awards last year and has the nost GOTY awards in the history of games. Where are all these AAA GOTY winning PC exclusives that you guys are playing that were released last year that aren't available on my PC?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

So will all of the people here that claim 30 fps is "cinematic" cut the Xbox One a break when their games are 30 fps? What's next? 800p is more cinematic than 1080p? Oh wait.....

ND already cleared this on their twitter. Regarding the implications of the 30FPS toggle.

They said the game is at constant 60FPS. It's an option for those that want the original experience.

Just a clarification.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

IMO, devs should do everything in their power to move us away from 30fps. Not include an option for the idiots to have their "cinematic" experience.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

That is the weirdest thing i've heard in a long time.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

60FPS is more cinematic than 30FPS could ever be. Plus there's the question of input lag.

What do you mean? Movies recorded with 35 mill film or IMAX are 24fps. Not 60fps. 30fps is closer to 24fps than 60fps is, therefore it gives a more 'cinematic' feel. Simple stuff really.

They're not the same thing. This whole cinematic thing is nonsense. Movies and games have a different framerate for a reason.

@Snugenz said:

This is a joke right?, have console gamers crawled so far up their own asses with this "cinematic" bullshit that they actually believe it, and even worse that devs are pandering to them?

Exactly what I was thinking, this justification is coming off as such pretentious nonsense.